Anyone here running Morphix?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Max Burke, Feb 6, 2004.

  1. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    Max Burke, Feb 6, 2004

  2. Hi there,

    Max Burke wrote:
    > Thinking about trying it out.....

    I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
    I could remember which mag? Nope! :)

    I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
    crack...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004

  3. Max Burke

    GraB Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 20:57:12 +1300, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >Max Burke wrote:
    >> Thinking about trying it out.....

    >I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
    >I could remember which mag? Nope! :)
    >
    >I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
    >crack...

    I think it was PC User.

    GraB, Feb 6, 2004
  4. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:
    >> Thinking about trying it out.....

    > I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
    > I could remember which mag? Nope! :)
    > I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
    > crack...

    Australian PC Authority, February issue.

    It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the
    time to install on the hard drive.

    At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't really
    enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

    --
    mlvburke@#%&*.net.nz
    See Found Images at:

    Max Burke, Feb 6, 2004
  5. Hi there,

    Max Burke wrote:
    >>Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

    >>>Max Burke wrote:
    >>> Thinking about trying it out.....

    >>I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
    >>I could remember which mag? Nope! :)
    >>I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
    >>crack...

    > Australian PC Authority, February issue.
    >
    > It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the
    > time to install on the hard drive.
    >
    > At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't really
    > enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

    I'd be in 2 minds about that too, since I'd install such a thing based
    its *differences* from XP et al...

    Then again its a bandwagon many distros are jumping on, to try and lure
    Windows user across from the so-called 'dark-side'... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Feb 6, 2004
  6. Max Burke

    Peter Guest

    Peter, Feb 6, 2004
  7. Max Burke

    Enkidu Guest

    On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:23:28 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
    wrote:

    >> Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

    >>> Max Burke wrote:
    >>> Thinking about trying it out.....

    >> I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
    >> I could remember which mag? Nope! :)
    >> I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
    >> crack...

    >Australian PC Authority, February issue.
    >
    >It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the
    >time to install on the hard drive.
    >
    >At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't really
    >enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

    Sigh. Looks like *another* distribution with *another* variation of
    the license thing....

    I'll stick with Debian, or Fedora or whatever....

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    --

    I think that Don Brash is a Labour mole.
    That would explain everything.

    Enkidu, Feb 6, 2004
  8. Max Burke

    dmbkiwi Guest

    On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:23:28 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >> Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

    >>> Max Burke wrote:
    >>> Thinking about trying it out.....

    >> I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think I could
    >> remember which mag? Nope! :) I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and
    >> find/buy it just to give it a crack...

    > Australian PC Authority, February issue.
    >
    > It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's worth
    > the time to install on the hard drive.
    >
    > At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't really
    > enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

    It may "look" like windows XP, although I'm not sure how, but underneath
    it is debian based linux. THAT is the difference. It works completely
    differently. The differences to Windows XP are huge. Whether you
    want/like that, is a different question. Please don't confuse "look and
    feel" with the underlying architecture/os.

    Matt

    dmbkiwi, Feb 6, 2004
  9. Max Burke

    harry Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Fri, 6 Feb 2004 22:23:28 +1300, "Max Burke" <mlvburke@%$%#@.nz>
    > wrote:
    >
    >>> Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

    >>> I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think
    >>> I could remember which mag? Nope! :)
    >>> I might trawl off to Whitcoulls and find/buy it just to give it a
    >>> crack...

    >> Australian PC Authority, February issue.
    >>
    >> It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's
    >> worth the time to install on the hard drive.
    >>
    >> At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't
    >> really enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

    > Sigh. Looks like *another* distribution with *another* variation of
    > the license thing....
    >
    > I'll stick with Debian, or Fedora or whatever....
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    Morphix is Debian, one of eleven run from CD variants.
    http://www.linuxmafia.com/faq/Debian/installers.html
    Its a derivative of Knoppix
    It lags behind Knoppix a little in some features like HD install,
    terminalserver etc it has a Gnome 2 Desktop in one version and a lightweight
    desktop in the lightgui version.
    Its a nice Gnome 2 demo.

    harry, Feb 6, 2004
  10. Max Burke

    harry Guest

    dmbkiwi wrote:
    > On Fri, 06 Feb 2004 22:23:28 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >> At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't
    >> really enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

    > It may "look" like windows XP, although I'm not sure how, but
    > underneath it is debian based linux. THAT is the difference. It
    > works completely differently. The differences to Windows XP are
    > huge. Whether you want/like that, is a different question. Please
    > don't confuse "look and feel" with the underlying architecture/os.
    >
    > Matt

    If its the standard Morphix HeavyGUI it has the standard Gnome application
    menu at the top of the screen, more like a Mac.
    Its configurable

    harry, Feb 6, 2004
  11. Max Burke

    Max Burke Guest

    > dmbkiwi scribbled:

    >> Max Burke wrote:

    >>> Chris Wilkinson scribbled:

    >>> I spotted a PC mag with Morphix LiveCD on it today. Do you think I
    >>> could remember which mag? Nope! :) I might trawl off to Whitcoulls
    >>> and find/buy it just to give it a crack...

    >> Australian PC Authority, February issue.
    >> It run's 'OK' from the bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's
    >> worth the time to install on the hard drive.
    >> At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP, which isn't
    >> really enough of a plus for installing it on the hard drive.

    > It may "look" like windows XP, although I'm not sure how, but
    > underneath it is debian based linux.

    It looks and acts like a linux version of XP. I already have XP, why would
    I need another version based on Linux?

    > THAT is the difference.

    So it's a different OS.... Why should that be a reason to install it
    *alongside XP?*

    I'm not looking to replace XP, I am looking at running both, with XP as my
    main OS. But if Morphix is just another XP clone running on Debian, what's
    the point?

    > It works completely differently.

    How? ;-)

    > The differences to Windows XP are huge.

    Are they? ;-)

    > Whether you want/like that, is a different question.

    What I want to know is if it's worth while installing it on the hard drive.
    (it runs OK from the CD) I dont want or need to know how to get 'involved'
    in the Linux v Windows thing (this time) ;-)

    How stable is this Morphix/Debian distro? Where can I find out info about
    how secure it is and where can I get security updates? how long can I expect
    the support for it to last (what happens when/if the 'support' for it
    disapears?)
    Yeah, yeah I know I should visit the website..... (I have and am....)

    > Please don't confuse "look and feel" with the underlying architecture/os.

    You're the only suggesting that is implied in my question Matt....

    Max Burke, Feb 6, 2004
  12. Max Burke

    harry Guest

    Max Burke wrote:
    >> dmbkiwi scribbled:

    <snip>
    > You're the only suggesting that is implied in my question Matt....

    Heh
    You've been trolled Matt.
    Don't feed him

    harry, Feb 7, 2004
  13. Max Burke

    dmbkiwi Guest

    On Sat, 07 Feb 2004 10:38:55 +1300, Max Burke wrote:

    >> dmbkiwi scribbled:

    >>> Australian PC Authority, February issue. It run's 'OK' from the
    >>> bootable CD. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the time to install on
    >>> the hard drive. At first look it's pretty much a clone of Windows/XP,
    >>> which isn't really enough of a plus for installing it on the hard
    >>> drive.

    >> It may "look" like windows XP, although I'm not sure how, but underneath
    >> it is debian based linux.

    > It looks and acts like a linux version of XP. I already have XP, why
    > would I need another version based on Linux?

    If it were identical to XP, then clearly it would be pointless (it is
    not, however, the differences are so numerous, it is impossible to
    explain here). However, you must have tried it for a reason. IF we knew
    the reason for trying it, then we might be able to tell you whether there
    was any point in installing it.

    >> THAT is the difference.

    > So it's a different OS.... Why should that be a reason to install it
    > *alongside XP?*

    See above.
    > I'm not looking to replace XP, I am looking at running both, with XP as
    > my main OS. But if Morphix is just another XP clone running on Debian,
    > what's the point?

    It is not. However, only you can establish "the point".
    >> It works completely differently.

    > How? ;-)

    It is unix-like. That's one way. there are a million more.
    >> The differences to Windows XP are huge.

    > Are they? ;-)

    Yes
    >> Whether you want/like that, is a different question.

    > What I want to know is if it's worth while installing it on the hard
    > drive. (it runs OK from the CD) I dont want or need to know how to get
    > 'involved' in the Linux v Windows thing (this time) ;-)

    No one's asking you to. Only you can answer the first question, once
    you've worked out what you want to achieve.
    > How stable is this Morphix/Debian distro? Where can I find out info
    > about how secure it is and where can I get security updates? how long
    > can I expect the support for it to last (what happens when/if the
    > 'support' for it disapears?)
    > Yeah, yeah I know I should visit the website..... (I have and am....)

    Stability: Don't know, but if it's debian based, it is based on one of
    the most stable linux distributions there is.

    Security: As secure as any other flavour of linux. You need to update
    when vulnerabilities are found, just like any other OS. Security is a
    process, not a product.

    Updates: Debian has a very advanced package management system, and
    updates are available on literally hundreds (if not thousands) of mirrors
    around the world.

    Support: Will last as long as debian is maintained. Given it is a
    community, and not a corporation - indefinitely.

    >> Please don't confuse "look and feel" with the

    underlying
    >> architecture/os.

    > You're the only suggesting that is implied in my question Matt....

    It was a fair inference to draw given that the only similarity that there
    could be between linux and XP is the look and feel.

    Matt

    dmbkiwi, Feb 7, 2004