    use center spot for now.

    http://www.photochimper.com/forum/
    a place for chimpers
    photochimperdude, Feb 24, 2006

  2. photochimperdude

    Dave Guest

    Dear photochimperdude,

    I just got a 20D and I find it does pretty good with AF. Have you tried
    using the Al Servo AF mode? Also, sometimes AF camera lenses can have
    difficulty focusing in low light (Just a thought). Have you tried another AF
    lens to see if there is an improvement?

    I read somewhere (this board or some website) that a user had similar
    problems and I think it was suggested that the person send the camera in for
    a service check. Hopefully yours is still under warranty.

    Dave

    Dave, Feb 24, 2006

  3. photochimperdude

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > photochimperdude writes ...
    >
    >I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The
    >auto focus is way to slow for sports ...

    I agree that it's a bit slow for sports and some wildlife photography,
    that's one of the reasons I use a 1D Mark II instead ...

    > ... anyone have any way to tweak this?

    Best way to speed up AF is to get a faster lens ... an f/2.8 will focus
    a lot faster than an f/5.6 for example ... what lens are you using now?

    Bill
    Bill Hilton, Feb 24, 2006
  4. photochimperdude

    Mark² Guest

    photochimperdude wrote:
    > I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
    > focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
    > use center spot for now.
    >
    > http://www.photochimper.com/forum/
    > a place for chimpers

    The fact that you don't mention the lens tell me that your len is likely a
    huge contributor to the problem.
    While it's true that the 20D isn't the FASTEST...it should be plenty
    fast-focussing for sports if you've got a large aperture lens (2.8). With a
    bright lens, the sensors in your 20D AF system will work FAR better and
    faster.
    Mark², Feb 24, 2006
  5. photochimperdude

    Skip M Guest

    >I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
    > focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
    > use center spot for now.
    >
    > http://www.photochimper.com/forum/
    > a place for chimpers

    My 20D managed to focus on 150mph sports/racing cars and 180mph racing
    boats, there's not much more I could ask of a camera that wasn't a 1D
    mkIIn...
    You bought one of the best cameras in its price range. If you want more, it
    reminds me of what someone said about race cars, "Speed costs money, how
    much do you want to spend..."

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Feb 24, 2006
  6. photochimperdude

    Daniel Rocha Guest

    photochimperdude wrote:
    > I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
    > focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
    > use center spot for now.

    What lens do you use to shoot sports ?

    --
    <> Daniel Rocha | Photographie <>
    http://www.monochromatique.com
    Daniel Rocha, Feb 24, 2006
  7. photochimperdude wrote:

    > I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The auto
    > focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to tweak this? I
    > use center spot for now.

    I'm using the 20D with a 70-200 2.8 L IS USM for shooting sports (bicycle
    races etc). No problem with focus. I use AL Servo. Sometime I use only the
    center focus point.
    Jørn Dahl-Stamnes
    http://www.dahl-stamnes.net/dahls/Foto/
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?J=F8rn?= Dahl-Stamnes, Feb 24, 2006
  8. photochimperdude

    Phil Guest

    Sounds like one of two things.

    1) Operator problem.

    2) Incorrect lens.

    My personal opinion is that it is both.

    Phil, Feb 24, 2006
  9. photochimperdude

    Mardon Guest

    "photochimperdude" <> wrote:

    > I shoot the 20D canon and I'm feeling that I made a mistake. The
    > auto focus is way to slow for sports anyone have any way to
    > tweak this? I use center spot for now.

    I've shot action shots with my 20D using an EF 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM
    lens. Even when I add a 1.4x tele-converter to this lens, the camera
    still focuses quickly enough for me. I also shoot with an 16-35mm
    f/2.8L USM and a EF 50mm f/1.4 USM. I've never noticed any problem
    with focus speed when using any of these lenses. If you want some
    samples of action shots with the 20D, check out my website at
    http://www.JustPhotos.ca, especially the Sports, Airplanes, People
    and Animals galleries.
    Mardon, Feb 25, 2006
  10. Sorry for not stating its a 70-200 2.8 l lens and I don't feel its
    operator error. I did fix the problem with the center spot like some of
    you have posted.

    http://www.photochimper.com
    photochimperdude, Mar 16, 2006
  11. photochimperdude