Anyone having trouble updating 6.0 AVG free edition?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2003.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    We have four PCs at home on a LAN. All are running AVG free edition. For the
    past week I've checked for updates on my main machine (usually daily) and,
    if one is available for download, go around the others and update them as
    well.

    Recently though I've been getting messages from AVG after clicking on
    'update now' on some of the others that my database is up-to-date and
    updating isn't needed. Yet when I start 'AVG 6.0 for windows' from the start
    menu it tells me that the database is too old and needs updating. Yet when
    I try to update I get the 'no update needed at this time' message. Sometimes
    repeatedly clicking the 'update now' button gets the new file eventually.
    Today even doing that isn't getting me anywhere. (Trying to download the
    1/9/03 sig file, two of the machines are still using the 18/8/03 file)

    As I said, up until a week or so ago I've never encountered problems like
    this. Is anyone else experiencing this?

    Thanks,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2003

  2. ~misfit~

    Howard Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    I experienced similar failures on AVG 6.0 a few months back.

    Uninstalling / Reinstalling didn't help (altough it might help you), so I
    went to Antivir. In the interim Windows has packed a sad and been reloaded
    twice, which does tend to cure many ills, and so AVG has been working fine
    for me for the last 3 months, also with daily updates scheduled.
    Howard, Sep 3, 2003

  3. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Stuart" <> wrote in message
    > I updated to the database you're currently running last night. Worked fine
    > for me!

    Thanks. Yeah, I was able to download it to two of our machines. I just went
    to the Grisoft website and see that I am in breach of the licence agreement.
    It states:

    "2. You may install and use only one copy of the Software for single home or
    non-commercial organization computer protection only, irrespective of the
    number of times you download the Software or the number of licenses you
    purport to accept.

    3. You may not use the Software on a network or more than one PC."

    Hmmm, '3' is a kicker. Both myself and my partner have registered but it
    seems that, because our computers are networked, we can't use it, even just
    on the two machines.

    Any suggestions for a free replacement that doesn't have these restrictions?
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2003
  4. ~misfit~

    colinco Guest

    In article <TCe5b.135870$>,
    misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
    > We have four PCs at home on a LAN. All are running AVG free edition. For the
    > past week I've checked for updates on my main machine (usually daily) and,
    > if one is available for download, go around the others and update them as
    > well.
    >
    > Recently though I've been getting messages from AVG after clicking on
    > 'update now' on some of the others that my database is up-to-date and
    > updating isn't needed. Yet when I start 'AVG 6.0 for windows' from the start
    > menu it tells me that the database is too old and needs updating. Yet when
    > I try to update I get the 'no update needed at this time' message. Sometimes
    > repeatedly clicking the 'update now' button gets the new file eventually.
    > Today even doing that isn't getting me anywhere. (Trying to download the
    > 1/9/03 sig file, two of the machines are still using the 18/8/03 file)
    >
    > As I said, up until a week or so ago I've never encountered problems like
    > this. Is anyone else experiencing this?

    Are you trying the .com or the .cz site?
    colinco, Sep 3, 2003
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "Nicholas Sherlock" <> wrote in message
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    > > Recently though I've been getting messages from AVG after clicking on
    > > 'update now' on some of the others that my database is up-to-date and
    > > updating isn't needed.

    > Perhaps your ISP's caching is getting in the way, and when it downloads

    the
    > latest list of "What versions everything is", it's getting a cached

    version?

    Hmm, don't know much about that. I've tried again a couple of times since my
    first post and, once or twice it's started to download only to stop a second
    later and say the downloaded file is corrupt and will be deleted. So I click
    'update now' again and get the same 'your system is up to date' message.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2003
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "colinco" <> wrote in message
    > In article <1Fh5b.136025$>,
    > misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz says...
    > > It defaults to the .cz site and it's in a little box with a drop-down

    list.
    > > I clicked it to try changing it but there were no other entries in it.

    How
    > > do I change it manually? I can't type in the box.
    > >

    > http://www.computing.net/security/wwwboard/forum/6244.html
    >
    > Don't know if it improves anything I've had better luck with the .CZ
    > after starting with the .com several years ago.

    Thanks. It worked for one of the two stubborn computers, d/l from the .com
    site. Still no luck with the other though.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2003
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in message

    Thanks to everyone who helped me with this, much appreciated.

    Of all the computer groups I frequent, this is by far the most helpful on a
    wide variety of computer related (and sometimes non-computer related :) )
    topics.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---
    ~misfit~, Sep 3, 2003
  8. ~misfit~

    Scott Guest

    > "Stuart" <> wrote in

    message
    > > I updated to the database you're currently running last night. Worked

    fine
    > > for me!

    > Thanks. Yeah, I was able to download it to two of our machines. I just

    went
    > to the Grisoft website and see that I am in breach of the licence

    agreement.
    > It states:
    >
    > "2. You may install and use only one copy of the Software for single home

    or
    > non-commercial organization computer protection only, irrespective of the
    > number of times you download the Software or the number of licenses you
    > purport to accept.
    >
    > 3. You may not use the Software on a network or more than one PC."
    >
    > Hmmm, '3' is a kicker. Both myself and my partner have registered but it
    > seems that, because our computers are networked, we can't use it, even

    just
    > on the two machines.

    But surely anyone that's simply connected to the internet is in fact on a
    network and therefore can't use their software. That sounds pretty
    unrealistic since they support updating from the internet - ie. updating
    from a network even when you're not allowed to use the software BECAUSE
    you're on a network?!?!!?

    That said, I've never had any problems with it on my computer or any other
    computer I've installed it on - the free or the commercial versions.

    - Scott
    Scott, Sep 3, 2003
  9. ~misfit~

    GraB Guest

    I updated mine last night, but I usually go directly to the website
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt6.php?avg6=fe and download from
    there. I think the location of the update has changed since the
    programme was written. Download to the AVG6/update folder, run AVG
    then you can delete the .bin files afterwards.

    On Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:03:46 +1200, "~misfit~"

    GraB, Sep 3, 2003
  10. On Wed, 03 Sep 2003 18:51:46 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    > Any suggestions for a free replacement that doesn't have these restrictions?

    Fprot command line version is free for home use.

    --
    There are 2 sorts of email opt-in lists:
    2: Fraud
    Uncle StoatWarbler, Sep 3, 2003
  11. ~misfit~

    colinco Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > I updated mine last night, but I usually go directly to the website
    > http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt6.php?avg6=fe and download from
    > there. I think the location of the update has changed since the
    > programme was written.

    I think the location of the actual update may change often (Akamai?)but
    the control site should stay ok.
    colinco, Sep 3, 2003
  12. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    "bambam" <> wrote in message
    > "~misfit~" <misfit@'SPAMTRAP'orcon.net.nz> wrote in
    >
    > >> Since you have so many machines why don't you download the update
    > >> from here-
    > >>
    > >> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_updt6.php?avg6=fe
    > >>
    > >> Then copy it to each update subdirectory of Grisoft on each
    > >> computer. Should be a smaller download as well, 3.7mb once vs
    > >> 1.4mb four times.

    > > I've downloaded it and will try it on the missus' PC tomorrow, she
    > > just turned it off. I managed to get the other three updated but,
    > > if this way works I think it'll be easier. I guess I close and
    > > then re-start AVG to get it to run?

    > Yes

    OK, I managed to get it to work, thanks.

    > > Also, can I delete all the old sig files in the 'update'
    > > subdirectory do you know? I've just realised I've got many MBs of
    > > files in there, (x 4), space I could possibly put to better use if
    > > they're not needed. --

    > Yes, I have the Grisoft\AVG6\Update folder on my clean up list and
    > delete everything in there occasionally.

    Thanks. I'll get 100-odd MBs back on each machine.

    Cheers,
    --
    ~misfit~

    ---