    tried messing with shutter speed & other settings.. what am I doing wrong???
    Thanks in advance!!

    Rob
    longshot, Feb 7, 2004

  2. longshot

    Drifter Guest

    >I haven't been to this group in over a year.. but found it very helpful when
    >I first bought my digital camera...
    >
    >here's my problem.. I want to take sports action type photos & the camera is
    >always on a delay, so I miss the shot .. I have looked through the manuals &
    >tried messing with shutter speed & other settings.. what am I doing wrong???
    >Thanks in advance!!
    >
    >Rob

    Set the camera to autofocus continually or choose the area where the
    action is going to happen and "prefocus" on that area.

    Learning to anticipate is so much fun... that's why my c4000 sits and
    waits for family gatherings and I now use the Canon 10D for most
    everything else.

    Drifter
    Drifter, Feb 7, 2004

  3. << I want to take sports action type photos & the camera is
    always on a delay, so I miss the shot >>

    Rob-

    I have the C-3040Z which is like the 4040 except for the lens and resolution.
    The delay is a sort of "fact of life", and it isn't just something you did
    wrong.

    All auto-focus cameras, whether film or digital, seem to have at least some
    delay. I understand digital cameras can have an additional delay because of
    the time it takes for the sensor to become electrically charged or sensitized.
    In either case, you can learn to press the button part way down to pre-focus
    (and/or pre-sensitize) the camera. As I recall, there is some indication like
    a beep or flashing LED, that indicates focus has been accomplished.
    Afterwards, the camera should respond almost instantly when pressing the button
    the rest of the way.

    You may be thinking that this isn't always possible for action shots. Another
    alternative is to manually prefocus the lens for the approximate distance you
    expect the action to occur. This technique is used by some sports
    photographers, and may work for you if you can figure out how to do it with the
    4040.

    Fred
    Fred McKenzie, Feb 7, 2004
  4. "longshot" <> writes:

    > I haven't been to this group in over a year.. but found it very helpful when
    > I first bought my digital camera...
    >
    > here's my problem.. I want to take sports action type photos & the camera is
    > always on a delay, so I miss the shot .. I have looked through the manuals &
    > tried messing with shutter speed & other settings.. what am I doing wrong???
    > Thanks in advance!!

    Most digital cameras have such a shutter lag problem, though the DSLRs and some
    of the newer cameras are much better. Common solutions include prefocusing
    (half press shutter), manual focusing, using continous mode to hopefully catch
    the moment, or learning to anticipate when the critical event will occur.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Feb 7, 2004
  5. longshot

    Crew Guest

    "longshot" <> wrote:
    >I haven't been to this group in over a year.. but found it very helpful when
    >I first bought my digital camera...
    >
    >here's my problem.. I want to take sports action type photos & the camera is
    >always on a delay, so I miss the shot .. I have looked through the manuals &
    >tried messing with shutter speed & other settings.. what am I doing wrong???
    >Thanks in advance!!
    >
    >Rob

    I have a C4000Z and have been shooting basketball games lately.
    I set the manual focus to infinity (I sit just far enough away and
    up from the floor), set ASA to 400, and set flash to always on.
    You must also follow the action (like on fast breaks, lay-ups,
    etc) with the camera and always anticipate when you want to
    shoot.

    Of course, you will still miss those "wish I had that"
    shots!! The key is to avoid autofocus and to anticipate what
    you want to shoot. But it works. I've even used my Oly 1.7
    tely and it worked great but takes some getting used to for
    the action stuff. A big drawback is forgetting to set the focus
    back to auto for other stuff.
    Crew
    Crew, Feb 9, 2004
  6. > here's my problem.. I want to take sports action type photos & the camera

    &
    > tried messing with shutter speed & other settings.. what am I doing

    wrong???
    > Thanks in advance!!

    Always, always, ALWAYS disable to flash whenever you want fast response
    times. You might also try "burst" mode, which keeps the camera from
    changing any dynamic settings after the first shot (or after you pre-focus)

    --Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
    http://www.ChainReactionBicycles.com
    Mike Jacoubowsky, Feb 14, 2004