    card reader, if that makes a difference. Is anyone able to get 30 MB/
    sec transfers with this card?

    , Feb 21, 2009

  2. Guest

    On Feb 21, 8:38 pm, D-Mac <> wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > I have a Sandisk Extreme III 8 GB SD card (the 30MB/sec edition), and
    > > I tried copying files from the hard drive to it and back, and timed
    > > the transfers. I copied 2 files - a 400 MB and 700 MB file (total of
    > > 1.1 GB) - from the HD to the SD card, and it took 75 seconds, so
    > > that's a write speed of about 15 MB/sec for the SD card. Then I copied
    > > the files back to the HD and it took 90 seconds, so that's a read
    > > speed of about 12 MB/sec for the SD card. Doesn't seem to live up to
    > > its 30 MB/sec billing. I am using the SanDisk MobileMate SDDR-104 USB
    > > card reader, if that makes a difference. Is anyone able to get 30 MB/
    > > sec transfers with this card?

    > I use this exact same card exclusively with my Nikon and Fuji DSLRs and
    > just tried your "test".
    >
    > Not 30 MB/s but 22 MB/s which is about the limit of USB2 - according to
    > my identical test on a remote hard drive. The name "mobile mate" has me
    > wondering if it's USB or USB2.

    It is USB 2.0, according to Sandisk's web site. And USB 1.1 has a max
    speed of only 1.5 MB/sec.

    > I'm not saying you are doing this but... The USB ports on the front of
    > most cases are NOT USB2 but the older and much slower USB ports. It's
    > the ports on the back (directly off the mainboard) that are USB2.

    May I ask what type of card reader you are using? I suspect the
    MobileMate, although it is USB 2.0, doesn't support 30 MB/sec.

    > Otherwise, you can check the serial number on the bottom of the card at
    > Sandisk's web site to see if it's a forgery. Sandisk is the most forged
    > flash card in the world.

    I got mine from Adorama, who is an authorized Sandisk dealer, so I
    doubt it's a forgery.

    , Feb 22, 2009

  3. wrote:
    []
    > It is USB 2.0, according to Sandisk's web site. And USB 1.1 has a max
    > speed of only 1.5 MB/sec.

    USB 2.0 means nothing - it needs to be "USB 2.0 hi-speed". USB 2.0 can
    still be "full-speed", but that's only 12Mb/s (1.5MB/s).

    The fastest I've seen off any USB 2.0 solid-state device I've tested is
    18.5MB/s, and that was a 4GB memory stick (and watch those memory sticks,
    some write a /lot/ slower than they can read. From a hard-disk I've seen
    a speed of 30MB/s (Seagate FreeAgent Go 320GB).

    Would a Firewire card reader be faster?

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 22, 2009
  4. nospam Guest

    In article <dz6ol.38286$>, David J
    Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk> wrote:

    > Would a Firewire card reader be faster?

    yes, assuming the card itself isn't the limiting factor. check rob
    galbraith's benchmarks.

    nospam, Feb 22, 2009
  5. nospam wrote:
    > In article <dz6ol.38286$>, David J
    > Taylor <-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk>
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Would a Firewire card reader be faster?

    > yes, assuming the card itself isn't the limiting factor. check rob
    > galbraith's benchmarks.

    Checking:

    http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/reader_report_multi_page.asp?cid=6007-9392

    It does look as if FireWire is faster. Pity he doesn't do SD reader tests
    either on FireWire or on the PC. I gave up CF cards years ago, and I'm a
    PC rather than a Mac user.

    Thanks,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 22, 2009
  6. nospam Guest

    nospam, Feb 22, 2009
  7. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 06:48:41 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    > The fastest I've seen off any USB 2.0 solid-state device I've tested is
    > 18.5MB/s, and that was a 4GB memory stick (and watch those memory sticks,
    > some write a /lot/ slower than they can read. From a hard-disk I've seen
    > a speed of 30MB/s (Seagate FreeAgent Go 320GB).

    A number of cards were tested here for both read and write speed
    (and more) :

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdhc-memory-card,2143.html

    ASAAR, Feb 22, 2009
  8. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 06:48:41 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> The fastest I've seen off any USB 2.0 solid-state device I've tested
    >> is
    >> 18.5MB/s, and that was a 4GB memory stick (and watch those memory
    >> sticks, some write a /lot/ slower than they can read. From a
    >> hard-disk I've seen a speed of 30MB/s (Seagate FreeAgent Go 320GB).

    > A number of cards were tested here for both read and write speed
    > (and more) :
    >
    > http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/sdhc-memory-card,2143.html

    Thanks, although I don't buy SD cards that expensive, as none of my
    cameras need them. The fastest reader I have is my Sharkoon:

    http://www.hardware.info/en-UK/productdb/bGdkZZiamJXKaMg/viewproduct/Sharkoon_FlexiDrive_XC_SDHC/

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 22, 2009
  9. ? <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >I have a Sandisk Extreme III 8 GB SD card (the 30MB/sec edition), and
    > I tried copying files from the hard drive to it and back, and timed
    > the transfers. I copied 2 files - a 400 MB and 700 MB file (total of
    > 1.1 GB) - from the HD to the SD card, and it took 75 seconds, so
    > that's a write speed of about 15 MB/sec for the SD card. Then I copied
    > the files back to the HD and it took 90 seconds, so that's a read
    > speed of about 12 MB/sec for the SD card. Doesn't seem to live up to
    > its 30 MB/sec billing. I am using the SanDisk MobileMate SDDR-104 USB
    > card reader, if that makes a difference. Is anyone able to get 30 MB/
    > sec transfers with this card?

    I recently read an article on a german online magazine, www.spiegel.de , how
    a hard drive's free space, when formatted, does not exacltly match the
    advertised size. For example, my 320 GBHitachi deskstar sata 2 10400 rpm
    formatted is 298 GB (Win XP greek).
    YMMV.

    --
    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios
    major in electrical engineering

    Tzortzakakis Dimitrios, Feb 22, 2009
  10. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:08:19 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:

    > Thanks, although I don't buy SD cards that expensive, as none of my
    > cameras need them. The fastest reader I have is my Sharkoon:

    Hmm. I didn't check prices in the article, but I have a number of
    the Kingston and Transcend SDHC (2,4,8 and 16GB) cards and some of
    them appeared to be mentioned in the article. While I can't recall
    what I paid for most of these, they were all quite reasonably
    priced. I think J&R (local to me) had 4GB Kingston SDHC and 4GB
    SanDisk CF card for about $6, but I paid about $15 several months
    earlier for a slower 8 GB Class 2 SanDisk card because that was good
    enough for my mp3 player/jpg viewer.

    ASAAR, Feb 22, 2009
  11. "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:
    >I recently read an article on a german online magazine, www.spiegel.de , how
    >a hard drive's free space, when formatted, does not exacltly match the
    >advertised size. For example, my 320 GBHitachi deskstar sata 2 10400 rpm
    >formatted is 298 GB (Win XP greek).

    Well, dahhhhh! Big surprise.

    Fist of all any file system has administrative overhead. Where do you
    suppose directories, free sector list, etc. are stored?

    And second there's the difference between decimal and binary "kilo",
    "mega", and "giga", the former based on 10^3 and used by HD
    manufacturers, the later based on 2^10 and commonly used in computer
    science. That difference is 2.4%.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 22, 2009
  12. Larry Thong wrote:
    > David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> The fastest I've seen off any USB 2.0 solid-state device I've tested
    >> is 18.5MB/s, and that was a 4GB memory stick (and watch those memory
    >> sticks, some write a /lot/ slower than they can read. From a
    >> hard-disk I've seen a speed of 30MB/s (Seagate FreeAgent Go 320GB).

    > The problem with USB in any format is it inherently sucks and was never
    > designed for performance.

    Good for keyboards and printers, but crap for volume.

    >> Would a Firewire card reader be faster?

    > Relative to what? Firewire is still a better form of USB but it isn't
    > the cure all. When these manufacturers start using SAS or SATA for
    > connecting devices, only then they will achieve high performance and
    > reliability.

    In the mean time FW800 is here, works, and at least for most Mac users,
    emminently available. eSata requires more stuff.

    --
    John McWilliams

    John McWilliams, Feb 22, 2009
  13. Jürgen Exner wrote:
    > "Tzortzakakis Dimitrios" <> wrote:
    >> I recently read an article on a german online magazine,
    >> www.spiegel.de , how a hard drive's free space, when formatted, does
    >> not exacltly match the advertised size. For example, my 320
    >> GBHitachi deskstar sata 2 10400 rpm formatted is 298 GB (Win XP
    >> greek).

    > Well, dahhhhh! Big surprise.
    >
    > Fist of all any file system has administrative overhead. Where do you
    > suppose directories, free sector list, etc. are stored?
    >
    > And second there's the difference between decimal and binary "kilo",
    > "mega", and "giga", the former based on 10^3 and used by HD
    > manufacturers, the later based on 2^10 and commonly used in computer
    > science. That difference is 2.4%.
    >
    > jue

    7.3% at the gigabyte level.

    1GB => 1073741824 bytes.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 22, 2009
  14. Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    > ? <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >> I have a Sandisk Extreme III 8 GB SD card (the 30MB/sec edition), and
    >> I tried copying files from the hard drive to it and back, and timed
    >> the transfers. I copied 2 files - a 400 MB and 700 MB file (total of
    >> 1.1 GB) - from the HD to the SD card, and it took 75 seconds, so
    >> that's a write speed of about 15 MB/sec for the SD card. Then I copied
    >> the files back to the HD and it took 90 seconds, so that's a read
    >> speed of about 12 MB/sec for the SD card. Doesn't seem to live up to
    >> its 30 MB/sec billing. I am using the SanDisk MobileMate SDDR-104 USB
    >> card reader, if that makes a difference. Is anyone able to get 30 MB/
    >> sec transfers with this card?

    > I recently read an article on a german online magazine, www.spiegel.de , how
    > a hard drive's free space, when formatted, does not exacltly match the
    > advertised size. For example, my 320 GBHitachi deskstar sata 2 10400 rpm
    > formatted is 298 GB (Win XP greek).
    > YMMV.

    Yes, this has been true since the beginning. A certain amount of
    headroom is needed for drivers, and secret sauce. .

    --
    john mcwilliams

    John McWilliams, Feb 22, 2009
  15. ASAAR wrote:
    > On Sun, 22 Feb 2009 15:08:19 GMT, David J Taylor wrote:
    >
    >> Thanks, although I don't buy SD cards that expensive, as none of my
    >> cameras need them. The fastest reader I have is my Sharkoon:

    > Hmm. I didn't check prices in the article, but I have a number of
    > the Kingston and Transcend SDHC (2,4,8 and 16GB) cards and some of
    > them appeared to be mentioned in the article. While I can't recall
    > what I paid for most of these, they were all quite reasonably
    > priced. I think J&R (local to me) had 4GB Kingston SDHC and 4GB
    > SanDisk CF card for about $6, but I paid about $15 several months
    > earlier for a slower 8 GB Class 2 SanDisk card because that was good
    > enough for my mp3 player/jpg viewer.

    It was just the class of card - I normally buy SanDisk Ultra, and not the
    Extreme. Amongst the different manufacturers there is quite a speed
    difference, and the USB memory sticks (as opposed to cards) can be very
    slow writers.

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 22, 2009
  16. John McWilliams wrote:
    > Larry Thong wrote:

    []
    >> The problem with USB in any format is it inherently sucks and was
    >> never designed for performance.

    > Good for keyboards and printers, but crap for volume.

    I have Windows systems here routinely handling 40GB/day 24 x 7 over USB
    2.0, so it's not that bad.

    I don't think anyone claims it provides the ultimate disk performance, but
    the 100-300GB 2.5-inch portable drives are very handy backup devices....

    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 22, 2009
  17. "David J Taylor"
    <-this-bit.nor-this.co.uk> wrote:
    >Jürgen Exner wrote:
    >> And second there's the difference between decimal and binary "kilo",
    >> "mega", and "giga", the former based on 10^3 and used by HD
    >> manufacturers, the later based on 2^10 and commonly used in computer
    >> science. That difference is 2.4%.

    >7.3% at the gigabyte level.
    >
    >1GB => 1073741824 bytes.

    True, you are right. I was thinking kB only.

    A long time ago in the good old days it was customary to use use lower
    case to denote decimal and upper case to denote binary. So 1kB would be
    1000 bytes and 1KB would be 1024 bytes.

    jue

    Jürgen Exner, Feb 22, 2009
  18. D-Mac Guest

    wrote:

    > May I ask what type of card reader you are using? I suspect the
    > MobileMate, although it is USB 2.0, doesn't support 30 MB/sec.

    No idea of the brand of reader I have. It's incorporated in a floppy
    drive and part of the PC. It is quite a lot faster than the "all in one"
    reader I used before upgrading. I believe it's about the fastest reader
    in the studio of 4 PCs although the MAC seems to be even faster and it
    too, has built a in reader.

    D-Mac.info

    D-Mac, Feb 22, 2009
  19. whisky-dave Guest

    "John McWilliams" <> wrote in message
    > Tzortzakakis Dimitrios wrote:
    >> ? <> ?????? ??? ??????
    >>> I have a Sandisk Extreme III 8 GB SD card (the 30MB/sec edition), and
    >>> I tried copying files from the hard drive to it and back, and timed
    >>> the transfers. I copied 2 files - a 400 MB and 700 MB file (total of
    >>> 1.1 GB) - from the HD to the SD card, and it took 75 seconds, so
    >>> that's a write speed of about 15 MB/sec for the SD card. Then I copied
    >>> the files back to the HD and it took 90 seconds, so that's a read
    >>> speed of about 12 MB/sec for the SD card. Doesn't seem to live up to
    >>> its 30 MB/sec billing. I am using the SanDisk MobileMate SDDR-104 USB
    >>> card reader, if that makes a difference. Is anyone able to get 30 MB/
    >>> sec transfers with this card?

    >> I recently read an article on a german online magazine, www.spiegel.de ,
    >> how a hard drive's free space, when formatted, does not exacltly match
    >> the advertised size. For example, my 320 GBHitachi deskstar sata 2 10400
    >> rpm formatted is 298 GB (Win XP greek).
    >> YMMV.

    > Yes, this has been true since the beginning. A certain amount of headroom
    > is needed for drivers, and secret sauce. .

    Not forgetting the magic smoke, if you see that then the chances are
    somethings really
    fraked up ;-)

    whisky-dave, Feb 23, 2009
  20. Ron Hunter wrote:
    []
    > Yes. Raw figures for HD storage count the overhead involved with the
    > formatting, such as sector headers, directory structures, and
    > allocation tables. If you live in a Windows world, the losses are
    > VASTLY greater, with system space which can run into multi-gigabytes
    > for things like swapfile, and 'system resource' areas.

    UNIX and its variant need swapfile space and metadata space as well, it's
    not just Windows. Things like System Restore on Windows can be turned
    off, if you must to save space.

    One other recommendation I would make is not to keep disks too full -
    perhaps something like 75% full - so that they can be defragmented more
    easily for best performance.

    At least disk storage space is cheap now - I hate to think how much I paid
    for my first hard disk in 1978 (?) - a top of the range 16MB or 20MB unit
    IIRC!

    Cheers,
    David

    David J Taylor, Feb 23, 2009