Anyone has any good Netflix tips?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Snow, Apr 14, 2004.

  1. Snow

    Snow Guest

    Snow, Apr 14, 2004

  2. In article <c5k5du$2ljq2$-berlin.de>,
    "Snow" <> wrote:

    > Like how to get them send out faster?
    > Any tips will be helpful, thanks.

    Watch them the night you get them and send them back the next day. Or
    even better, watch them the minute you get them and quickly run down to
    the post office and mail them back before last pickup. :)

    Seriously, there isn't much you can do short of moving closer to one of
    their service hubs. Since when did Netflix start doing business in
    Germany, Herr Snow?
    Reginald Dwight, Apr 14, 2004

  3. Snow

    Snow Guest

    "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    > In article <c5k5du$2ljq2$-berlin.de>,
    > "Snow" <> wrote:
    >
    > > Like how to get them send out faster?
    > > Any tips will be helpful, thanks.

    > Watch them the night you get them and send them back the next day. Or
    > even better, watch them the minute you get them and quickly run down to
    > the post office and mail them back before last pickup. :)
    >
    > Seriously, there isn't much you can do short of moving closer to one of
    > their service hubs. Since when did Netflix start doing business in
    > Germany, Herr Snow?

    I'm using a free news server from Germany. I live in Florida.
    Snow, Apr 15, 2004
  4. Snow

    Pat Guest

    Be sharp about what time the USPS picks up the mail in the slot you stick
    the return. I was leaving off my Netflix DVD, where I have a PO Box, and
    thought they picked up mail all day. No. They picked up at 5:30PM and it
    just sits there all day, if I mail back in the morning. I will not make that
    mistake again. For one subscription, you can do 6 DVDs a week! Its
    technically possible to do 9 if you strategize and plan your returns by
    knowing how and when the post office routes the DVD back to Netflix.

    Pat, Apr 15, 2004
  5. "Pat" <> wrote in message
    > Be sharp about what time the USPS picks up the mail in the slot you stick
    > the return. I was leaving off my Netflix DVD, where I have a PO Box, and
    > thought they picked up mail all day. No. They picked up at 5:30PM and it
    > just sits there all day, if I mail back in the morning. I will not make

    that
    > mistake again. For one subscription, you can do 6 DVDs a week! Its
    > technically possible to do 9 if you strategize and plan your returns by
    > knowing how and when the post office routes the DVD back to Netflix.

    This question comes up a lot. Is there an FAQ with the answer in it?

    But yeah, you need to

    #1 Be cognizant of how your local postal service works. I generally drop
    mine off at the post office as I head to work each morning, rather than wait
    for the mailman to pick them up in mid-afternoon. That makes a difference
    for me, because often Netflix gets them the next day, logs them in, then
    ships out my next available one the same day, and it ends up in my mailbox
    the next afternoon.

    #2 Try and return them the next day. The more you get, the more the plan
    pays off. This also requires a bit of scheduling. Sometimes I try and get a
    longer dvd for the weekend i.e. Smallville or 24 (two series I've never seen
    before but am now watching thru my rental program with Netflix), and save
    the "short" 2 hour dvd's for the middle of the week.

    I've mentioned this before, but I'll say it again: if you are diligent about
    the way you use Netflix, it will lower the prices per dvd to such a degree
    that you can even enjoy some of the lesser titles that might've piqued your
    interest, but could never commit yourself to paying for either at the
    theater or for $3.99 at Blockbuster. The pricing plan actually opens the
    door for you to enjoy a wider range of movies than you previously would
    have, because now you aren't worrying about whether to commit your weekend
    Blockbuster money to Title A or Title B. It's made it economical for me to
    see both Title A and Title B. In fact, I recently rented Pola X, a French
    film, that I had never been able to find in Blockbuster.

    ICEBREAKER
    "President Clinton was often known as the first black president. I wouldn't
    be upset if I could earn the right to be the second." - John Kerry

    "John Kerry is not a black man. He is a privileged white man who has no idea
    what it is... to be a poor white in this country, let alone a black man."
    Paula Diane Harris, Andrew Young National Center for Social Change.
    I, Icebreaker, Apr 15, 2004

    I, Icebreaker, Apr 15, 2004

    I, Icebreaker, Apr 15, 2004
  8. Snow

    Pusenaminous Guest

    "Snow" <> wrote in message
    > Like how to get them send out faster?
    > Any tips will be helpful, thanks.

    When they send you an email asking you how many days it takes to get a DVD
    to you, don't answer it!
    I told the truth, that it took one day, and now they always take 2 days to
    get to me. I'm sure they are delaying mailing them out so I get fewer a
    month.
    I live in the same state as one of the distrubution centers. It takes one
    day to get back to them, but 2 days to get to me. BS.
    Pusenaminous, Apr 15, 2004
  9. In article <cWlfc.462$>,
    "Pusenaminous" <> wrote:

    > When they send you an email asking you how many days it takes to get a DVD
    > to you, don't answer it!

    Tinfoil hat squad member. :)

    > I told the truth, that it took one day, and now they always take 2 days to
    > get to me. I'm sure they are delaying mailing them out so I get fewer a
    > month.

    I'm sure that people believe this to be true. The question is asked to
    simply calculate the delivery dates posted at the website. I asked and
    answered truthfully and still get my deliveries usually a day before the
    listed arrival time. One day in almost every case.

    > I live in the same state as one of the distrubution centers. It takes one
    > day to get back to them, but 2 days to get to me. BS.

    Which means it's possible that your disc could be delivered to them in a
    pm shipment - therefore causing a late check-in that forces them to have
    to send out the next disc the following morning.

    Do you actually know when they get your discs?
    Reginald Dwight, Apr 15, 2004
  10. Snow

    Moviezzz Guest

    Has anyone else noticed a slowdown in sending new ones?

    I've been with them a few years now and in the last month or so, when they
    check a return in in the morning, they normally don't pick the next title until
    the afternoon and ship it until the next day.

    It used to be in the morning they would check it in and pick the next one and
    send it out that afternoon.

    Plus, I mailed three back on Sunday, from the same mailbox. One got credited
    as a return on Monday, so far today they got the second and the third is still
    out there.

    Normally I get 5 a week (I'm on the 5 at a time plan). This week, I'll be
    lucky if I get 2 and all 5 were returned in enough time to get 5 this week.
    Moviezzz, Apr 15, 2004
  11. In article <>,
    ospam (Moviezzz) wrote:

    > Has anyone else noticed a slowdown in sending new ones?

    I think it's safe to say that questions like this one without naming
    your location and hub are somewhat futile.

    I have seen no slowdown in So. Cal. using the Santa Ana hub.

    Reginald Dwight, Apr 15, 2004
  12. "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    > In article <>,
    > ospam (Moviezzz) wrote:
    >
    > > Has anyone else noticed a slowdown in sending new ones?

    > I think it's safe to say that questions like this one without naming
    > your location and hub are somewhat futile.
    >
    > I have seen no slowdown in So. Cal. using the Santa Ana hub.

    I'm in NW Ohio, and it looks like I'm using the Cleveland hub. I
    usually get my movies in two days, but sometimes I'll get it in one. I've
    been using them for about a month now, and I really like the service. They
    have quite a few titles I would not find at my local video store.

    Aaron
    Aaron R. Schnuth, Apr 15, 2004
  13. "Reginald Dwight" <> wrote in message
    > In article <cWlfc.462$>,
    > "Pusenaminous" <> wrote:
    >
    > > When they send you an email asking you how many days it takes to get a

    DVD
    > > to you, don't answer it!

    > Tinfoil hat squad member. :)
    >
    > > I told the truth, that it took one day, and now they always take 2 days

    > > get to me. I'm sure they are delaying mailing them out so I get fewer a
    > > month.

    > I'm sure that people believe this to be true. The question is asked to
    > simply calculate the delivery dates posted at the website. I asked and
    > answered truthfully and still get my deliveries usually a day before the
    > listed arrival time. One day in almost every case.

    Actually, you both make some good points. I have answered their questions
    and never seen a slowdown in service, but i'm probably more inclined at this
    point to not answer any further questions. All they need to know is whether
    or not i'm satisfied. If I haven't left their service, then i'm satisfied.
    What I was surprised to see today is that they are shipping two New Releases
    to me. I just rented Timeline and Cheaper By The Dozen. I was going to wait
    till they'd been out a while because i'd been told that existing members and
    members who rent a lot are bumped to the bottom of the list in favor of
    trial members. I'd been doing that for a while, but decided this week to see
    if I could get those films with the "Short Wait" asap. I did and they are
    shipping out today. Sooooooo.......I don't know what to tell people. It
    works for me.

    The Best Little Icebreaker In Texas, Apr 15, 2004
  14. Snow

    Pusenaminous Guest

    > "Pusenaminous" <> wrote:
    >
    > > When they send you an email asking you how many days it takes to get a

    DVD
    > > to you, don't answer it!

    > Tinfoil hat squad member. :)
    >
    > > I told the truth, that it took one day, and now they always take 2 days

    > > get to me. I'm sure they are delaying mailing them out so I get fewer a
    > > month.

    > I'm sure that people believe this to be true. The question is asked to
    > simply calculate the delivery dates posted at the website. I asked and
    > answered truthfully and still get my deliveries usually a day before the
    > listed arrival time. One day in almost every case.
    >
    > > I live in the same state as one of the distrubution centers. It takes

    one
    > > day to get back to them, but 2 days to get to me. BS.

    > Which means it's possible that your disc could be delivered to them in a
    > pm shipment - therefore causing a late check-in that forces them to have
    > to send out the next disc the following morning.
    >
    > Do you actually know when they get your discs?

    Well, Elton, what I know is that before I answered that stupid questionaire
    I received my
    discs the next day after they indicated they were shipped and now I receive
    them 2 days later. This is consistent. When I mail them back, morning or
    evening, they are checked in the next day. The change wasn't immediate after
    answering the email, but delivery speed did change and has remained changed
    ever since.
    Pusenaminous, Apr 15, 2004
  15. In article <7Zzfc.744$>,
    "Pusenaminous" <> wrote:

    > Well, Elton,

    Heh heh. :)

    > what I know is that before I answered that stupid questionaire
    > I received my
    > discs the next day after they indicated they were shipped and now I receive
    > them 2 days later. This is consistent.

    Check. Do you know whether there was a change in you mail-back address
    at any point?

    > When I mail them back, morning or
    > evening, they are checked in the next day.

    But I was asking if they checked in at the hub in the morning or
    evening? You are also aware that depending on where the requested DVD is
    located has everything to do with it's transport time to you. In other
    words, ALL the discs I send back take one day because they always go to
    the same place; discs send TO me arrive at different time intervals
    because of the fact thatwhere they are being shipped from is NOT always
    the same place.

    > The change wasn't immediate after
    > answering the email, but delivery speed did change and has remained changed
    > ever since.

    I understand. I just don't see that this *definitive* proof that the
    questionnaire was used to create artificial delays.
    Reginald Dwight, Apr 15, 2004