    Does anyone know what the after-sales service is like with
    any of those retailers?

    Thanks,
    Daniel, Nov 12, 2004

  2. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:37:27 +1300, Daniel <>
    had this to say:

    >As they're cheapest on the pricespy listing for a Samsung TS-H542A.
    >
    >Does anyone know what the after-sales service is like with
    >any of those retailers?

    LOL!

    You're after service from "the cheapest on pricespy"? That's funny.
    You do realise that many of "the cheapest on pricespy" can't afford to
    offer any form of service, as they're actually running at a loss?
    (often they don't actually realise this until it's too late).

    Someone very wise once said to me:

    "Quality, Service, Low Price...

    Pick any two."

    Unfortunately, these days it would almost be apt to say "Pick any
    one".

    Anyone think of any business, any at all, where the above doesn't
    follow? (I can only think of one).
    Gurble, Nov 12, 2004

  3. Daniel

    Gurble Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 23:16:41 +1300, Gurble <> had this to
    say:

    >On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:37:27 +1300, Daniel <>
    >had this to say:
    >

    >>As they're cheapest on the pricespy listing for a Samsung TS-H542A.
    >>
    >>Does anyone know what the after-sales service is like with
    >>any of those retailers?

    >LOL!
    >
    >You're after service from "the cheapest on pricespy"? That's funny.
    >You do realise that many of "the cheapest on pricespy" can't afford to
    >offer any form of service, as they're actually running at a loss?
    >(often they don't actually realise this until it's too late).
    >
    >Someone very wise once said to me:
    >

    >"Quality, Service, Low Price...
    >
    >Pick any two."
    >

    >Unfortunately, these days it would almost be apt to say "Pick any
    >one".
    >
    >Anyone think of any business, any at all, where the above doesn't
    >follow? (I can only think of one).

    (Please note that my comments are in general, and not aimed at the
    businesses listed by the OP, whom I know very little about).
    Gurble, Nov 12, 2004
  4. Daniel

    XPD Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at sourcing a DVD writer from one of these guys:
    > * ETC Computers
    > * LCQ Computers
    > * C1 Shoppingmall
    > * PC Mart
    >
    > As they're cheapest on the pricespy listing for a Samsung TS-H542A.
    >
    > Does anyone know what the after-sales service is like with
    > any of those retailers?
    >
    > Thanks,

    LCQ have been great in person to deal with...... havent had to use them for
    anything after-sales so dont know there.... but Id say theyd be quite happy
    to help out with genuine faults/queries.
    XPD, Nov 12, 2004
  5. Daniel

    Mr Scebe Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Looking at sourcing a DVD writer from one of these guys:
    > * ETC Computers
    > * LCQ Computers

    I've bought a bit of stuff from them. Their prices are good, and the service
    is fine. You might have trouble finding them as the shop is a little
    "hole-in-the-wall". Don't let that put you off.

    > * C1 Shoppingmall
    > * PC Mart
    >
    > As they're cheapest on the pricespy listing for a Samsung TS-H542A.
    >
    > Does anyone know what the after-sales service is like with
    > any of those retailers?

    Haven't had to take anything back, so can't say for certain.

    --
    Mr Scebe
    ~Sean Connery in "The Rock"
    Mr Scebe, Nov 12, 2004
  6. In article <tu%kd.1004$> in nz.comp on Fri, 12
    Nov 2004 22:37:27 +1300, Daniel <> says...
    > Looking at sourcing a DVD writer from one of these guys:
    > * ETC Computers
    > * LCQ Computers
    > * C1 Shoppingmall
    > * PC Mart
    >
    > As they're cheapest on the pricespy listing for a Samsung TS-H542A.

    Why do you want to buy Samsung?

    Stick with Liteon, Pioneer, Sony or Asus
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Daniel

    be Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 22:37:27 +1300, Daniel wrote:

    > Looking at sourcing a DVD writer from one of these guys:
    > * ETC Computers

    this mob has a store in hamilton, has been there a couple of
    years.
    be, Nov 13, 2004
  8. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:

    > Why do you want to buy Samsung?

    Cheapest model I could find that came bundled with Nero 6 Express.
    Software choice is not mine, but, person whom I am looking on
    behalf of.

    > Stick with Liteon, Pioneer, Sony or Asus

    What's wrong with Samsung? (I honestly don't know)
    Daniel, Nov 13, 2004
  9. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Daniel wrote:

    > Looking at sourcing a DVD writer from one of these guys:
    > * ETC Computers
    > * LCQ Computers
    > * C1 Shoppingmall
    > * PC Mart
    >
    > As they're cheapest on the pricespy listing for a Samsung TS-H542A.
    >
    > Does anyone know what the after-sales service is like with
    > any of those retailers?
    >
    > Thanks,

    I see QMB Computers are now the cheapest - barely. I've read in a
    previous couple of posts that their after-sales service is okay.

    Thanks for the replies.
    Daniel, Nov 13, 2004
  10. Daniel

    XPD Guest

    "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    > Daniel wrote:
    >
    > > Looking at sourcing a DVD writer from one of these guys:
    > > * ETC Computers
    > > * LCQ Computers
    > > * C1 Shoppingmall
    > > * PC Mart
    > >
    > > As they're cheapest on the pricespy listing for a Samsung TS-H542A.
    > >
    > > Does anyone know what the after-sales service is like with
    > > any of those retailers?
    > >
    > > Thanks,

    > I see QMB Computers are now the cheapest - barely. I've read in a
    > previous couple of posts that their after-sales service is okay.
    >
    > Thanks for the replies.

    <HISS>

    QMB are not in my good books at all. Cheap, yes. Theres reasons for that.
    Which have been discussed in this NG many times.
    XPD, Nov 13, 2004
  11. In article <VLjld.1126$> in nz.comp on Sat, 13
    Nov 2004 21:40:29 +1300, Daniel <> says...
    > Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > >
    > > Why do you want to buy Samsung?
    > >

    > Cheapest model I could find that came bundled with Nero 6 Express.
    > Software choice is not mine, but, person whom I am looking on
    > behalf of.
    >
    > > Stick with Liteon, Pioneer, Sony or Asus
    > >

    > What's wrong with Samsung? (I honestly don't know)

    I haven't seen many Samsung drives, they are very much an unknown
    quantity. As such I wouldn't tend to recommend them because they are too
    obscure.

    I know people that swear by BTC drives and they have a wide level of
    penetration into the NZ markets yet they are crap. Some of the Samsung
    drives are crap too.

    The listed brands above are all consistently good. Liteon is the best
    value for money there is.
    Patrick Dunford, Nov 14, 2004
  12. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    Patrick Dunford wrote:
    > In article <VLjld.1126$> in nz.comp on Sat, 13
    > Nov 2004 21:40:29 +1300, Daniel <> says...
    >
    >>Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >>
    >>>Why do you want to buy Samsung?
    >>>

    >>Cheapest model I could find that came bundled with Nero 6 Express.
    >>Software choice is not mine, but, person whom I am looking on
    >>behalf of.
    >>

    >>>Stick with Liteon, Pioneer, Sony or Asus
    >>>

    >>What's wrong with Samsung? (I honestly don't know)

    > I haven't seen many Samsung drives, they are very much an unknown
    > quantity. As such I wouldn't tend to recommend them because they are too
    > obscure.
    >
    > I know people that swear by BTC drives and they have a wide level of
    > penetration into the NZ markets yet they are crap. Some of the Samsung
    > drives are crap too.
    >
    > The listed brands above are all consistently good. Liteon is the best
    > value for money there is.

    Okay - that's good to know, cheers.
    Daniel, Nov 14, 2004
  13. Daniel

    Daniel Guest

    XPD wrote:

    > "Daniel" <> wrote in message
    >

    >>I see QMB Computers are now the cheapest - barely. I've read in a
    >>previous couple of posts that their after-sales service is okay.
    >>

    > <HISS>
    >
    > QMB are not in my good books at all. Cheap, yes. Theres reasons for that.
    > Which have been discussed in this NG many times.

    Fair enough. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks.
    Daniel, Nov 14, 2004
  14. Daniel

    MarkH Guest

    Patrick Dunford <> wrote in

    > The listed brands above are all consistently good. Liteon is the best
    > value for money there is.

    That maybe so, but I know about 8 people that have bought Pioneer DVD
    writers, 2 that have bought Liteon DVD writers and one that has bought an
    Asus writer. The Pioneers and Asus have not missed a beat. Both Liteons
    have failed and needed to be replaced.

    I think that the Pioneers are also easier to find firmware for to make them
    region-free.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz (last updated 12-Nov-04)
    MarkH, Nov 14, 2004
  15. Daniel

    # Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:22:23 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    > Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >
    >> The listed brands above are all consistently good. Liteon is the best
    >> value for money there is.

    > That maybe so, but I know about 8 people that have bought Pioneer DVD
    > writers, 2 that have bought Liteon DVD writers and one that has bought an
    > Asus writer. The Pioneers and Asus have not missed a beat. Both Liteons
    > have failed and needed to be replaced.
    >
    > I think that the Pioneers are also easier to find firmware for to make them
    > region-free.

    Why bother with region free - just use VLC
    #, Nov 14, 2004
  16. Daniel

    MarkH Guest

    # <> wrote in

    > On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 03:22:23 GMT, MarkH wrote:
    >
    >> Patrick Dunford <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> The listed brands above are all consistently good. Liteon is the
    >>> best value for money there is.

    >> That maybe so, but I know about 8 people that have bought Pioneer DVD
    >> writers, 2 that have bought Liteon DVD writers and one that has
    >> bought an Asus writer. The Pioneers and Asus have not missed a beat.
    >> Both Liteons have failed and needed to be replaced.
    >>
    >> I think that the Pioneers are also easier to find firmware for to
    >> make them region-free.

    > Why bother with region free - just use VLC

    No bother and I don't need another media player, MPlayer works fine for
    what I need.

    I simply mentioned that region-free firmware is fairly easy to find for
    Pioneer DVD drives, there are bound to be people for whom this information
    in helpful.

    MarkH, Nov 14, 2004
  17. Daniel

    # Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 05:14:41 GMT, MarkH wrote:

    >>> That maybe so, but I know about 8 people that have bought Pioneer DVD
    >>> writers, 2 that have bought Liteon DVD writers and one that has
    >>> bought an Asus writer. The Pioneers and Asus have not missed a beat.
    >>> Both Liteons have failed and needed to be replaced.
    >>>
    >>> I think that the Pioneers are also easier to find firmware for to
    >>> make them region-free.

    >> Why bother with region free - just use VLC

    > No bother and I don't need another media player, MPlayer works fine for
    > what I need.
    >
    > I simply mentioned that region-free firmware is fairly easy to find for
    > Pioneer DVD drives, there are bound to be people for whom this information
    > in helpful.

    Downloading and installing a program like VLC (which completely ignores the
    drive and OS region coding, and just plays the DVD) is probably a much
    simpler and lower risk option for most people than attempting to flash the
    drive with a BIOS hack.
    #, Nov 14, 2004
  18. Daniel

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 14 Nov 2004 14:20:30 +1300, Patrick Dunford
    <> wrote:

    >In article <VLjld.1126$> in nz.comp on Sat, 13
    >Nov 2004 21:40:29 +1300, Daniel <> says...
    >> Patrick Dunford wrote:
    >> >
    >> > Why do you want to buy Samsung?
    >> >

    >> Cheapest model I could find that came bundled with Nero 6 Express.
    >> Software choice is not mine, but, person whom I am looking on
    >> behalf of.
    >>
    >> > Stick with Liteon, Pioneer, Sony or Asus
    >> >

    >> What's wrong with Samsung? (I honestly don't know)

    >I haven't seen many Samsung drives, they are very much an unknown
    >quantity. As such I wouldn't tend to recommend them because they are too
    >obscure.
    >
    >I know people that swear by BTC drives and they have a wide level of
    >penetration into the NZ markets yet they are crap. Some of the Samsung
    >drives are crap too.
    >
    >The listed brands above are all consistently good. Liteon is the best
    >value for money there is.

    Dunno about that Patrick, there are lots of people complaining all over the net,
    and in Lite-On's forums, with problems. I guess you get that with anything
    though.

    How would you rate LG? I've got a CD Writer of theirs which has been excellent.
    Craig Shore, Nov 14, 2004
  19. # wrote:
    >>I think that the Pioneers are also easier to find firmware for to make them
    >>region-free.

    > Why bother with region free - just use VLC

    not that I need to know, but, whats VLC?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 14, 2004
  20. Dave - Dave.net.nz said the following on 15/11/2004 10:58:
    > # wrote:
    >
    >>> I think that the Pioneers are also easier to find firmware for to
    >>> make them region-free.

    >> Why bother with region free - just use VLC

    > not that I need to know, but, whats VLC?

    Dam good software Video Lan Client, I use it to stream dvd's over the
    local network with extremely good results. The quality has to be seen to
    be believed.
    Statutory comment "Use Google for more info"

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 14, 2004