    will trade for something faster).

    If cash is needed, I'd rather make it small as cash isn't flowing as
    freely as it should at the moment.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 10, 2005

  2. Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > that they'd like to give me? :)

    of course I'll pay postage or whatever to get it here(Dunedin)

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 10, 2005

  3. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Allistar Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > that they'd like to give me? :)
    >
    > I have a dual box with one CPU(P3 500) and am wanting to run some apps
    > that will run a lot better with another CPU in there.
    >
    > either that or if someone has something faster or slower, and just wants
    > to get rid of one, I'll take that too(a friend has a single P3 500 and
    > will trade for something faster).
    >
    > If cash is needed, I'd rather make it small as cash isn't flowing as
    > freely as it should at the moment.

    From memory the two CPU's must have matching batch numbers. You can just mix
    and match two random CPUs, even if they are spec'd the same.

    Allistar.

    Allistar, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Allistar wrote:
    >>that they'd like to give me? :)
    >>I have a dual box with one CPU(P3 500) and am wanting to run some apps
    >>that will run a lot better with another CPU in there.

    > From memory the two CPU's must have matching batch numbers. You can just mix
    > and match two random CPUs, even if they are spec'd the same.

    yeah I've read what the specs say, but from experience you can use two
    random ones with the same specs...

    it's not going in anything mission critical or anything.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 11, 2005
  5. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:18:31 +1300, Allistar wrote:

    > From memory the two CPU's must have matching batch numbers. You can just
    > mix and match two random CPUs, even if they are spec'd the same.

    That's only if you want officially guaranteed compatibility. In practice
    different steppings will still work most of the time.

    I've also heard that with each successive generation of chips (starting
    with the original Pentium) this becomes less of a problem to the point
    where it no longer matters with current chips.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Feb 11, 2005
  6. AD. wrote:
    >>From memory the two CPU's must have matching batch numbers. You can just
    >>mix and match two random CPUs, even if they are spec'd the same.

    > That's only if you want officially guaranteed compatibility. In practice
    > different steppings will still work most of the time.
    > I've also heard that with each successive generation of chips (starting
    > with the original Pentium) this becomes less of a problem to the point
    > where it no longer matters with current chips.

    supposedly with the Athlon MPs you were able to run two chips with
    different multipliers as long as they had the same FSB...

    I tried it once and it booted to the Bootloader(not sure what I was
    using at the time), but neither OS would run(Mandrake something and
    Windows XP). It may have made a difference if it had been installed like
    that, but I didn't care enough to try, only wanted to proove a point to
    someone.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 11, 2005
  7. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 11:45:15 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >that they'd like to give me? :)
    >
    >I have a dual box with one CPU(P3 500) and am wanting to run some apps
    >that will run a lot better with another CPU in there.
    >
    >either that or if someone has something faster or slower, and just wants
    >to get rid of one, I'll take that too(a friend has a single P3 500 and
    >will trade for something faster).
    >
    >If cash is needed, I'd rather make it small as cash isn't flowing as
    >freely as it should at the moment.

    Flip chip or slot?

    Bret, Feb 11, 2005
  8. Bret wrote:
    >>that they'd like to give me? :)
    >>I have a dual box with one CPU(P3 500) and am wanting to run some apps
    >>that will run a lot better with another CPU in there.

    > Flip chip or slot?

    heh, read the subject boy... slot... didn't know they made flipchip P3 500s

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 11, 2005
  9. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Bret Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:49:24 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >>>that they'd like to give me? :)
    >>>I have a dual box with one CPU(P3 500) and am wanting to run some apps
    >>>that will run a lot better with another CPU in there.

    >> Flip chip or slot?

    >heh, read the subject boy... slot... didn't know they made flipchip P3 500s

    Might be able to help you out after thursday.

    Bret, Feb 11, 2005
  10. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    <> wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >>>that they'd like to give me? :)
    >>>I have a dual box with one CPU(P3 500) and am wanting to run some apps
    >>>that will run a lot better with another CPU in there.

    >> Flip chip or slot?

    >heh, read the subject boy... slot... didn't know they made flipchip P3 500s

    Neither did I untill I looked, Intel list one, don't know whether they
    actually made one :)

    Bret, Feb 11, 2005
  11. Bret wrote:
    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:49:24 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:

    >>>Flip chip or slot?

    >>heh, read the subject boy... slot... didn't know they made flipchip P3 500s

    > Might be able to help you out after thursday.

    Thanks, but no need anymore.
    got a pair coming my way... thanks Mike... who ever you are.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 11, 2005
  12. Bret wrote:

    > On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:49:24 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:

    >>Flip chip or slot?

    >>heh, read the subject boy... slot... didn't know they made flipchip P3 500s

    > Neither did I untill I looked, Intel list one, don't know whether they
    > actually made one :)

    odd... ok then.

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 11, 2005
  13. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Me Here Guest

    Cut and paste from 're: time for a motherboard update'
    Dave said...
    usually, one faster processor will beat most two CPU configurations,
    unless you are severly CPU limited(almost nothing is these days baring a
    few games).
    Alan says..
    Hi Dave,
    What new game are you playing?

    Me Here, Feb 11, 2005
  14. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    mark Guest

    "Me Here" <> wrote in news:cuhf39$opj$:

    > Cut and paste from 're: time for a motherboard update'
    > Dave said...
    > usually, one faster processor will beat most two CPU configurations,
    > unless you are severly CPU limited(almost nothing is these days baring a
    > few games).
    > Alan says..
    > Hi Dave,
    > What new game are you playing?

    It's called "I wanna be a geek" :)

    mark, Feb 11, 2005
  15. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    steve Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > that they'd like to give me? :)
    >
    > I have a dual box with one CPU(P3 500) and am wanting to run some apps
    > that will run a lot better with another CPU in there.
    >
    > either that or if someone has something faster or slower, and just wants
    > to get rid of one, I'll take that too(a friend has a single P3 500 and
    > will trade for something faster).
    >
    > If cash is needed, I'd rather make it small as cash isn't flowing as
    > freely as it should at the moment.

    I threw a PIII-500 out today. Motherboard, CPU, ram and all.

    It's currently in a 10m3 waste bin being rained on.

    I could dig it out.....and let it dry.

    steve, Feb 11, 2005
  16. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    Gavin Tunney Guest

    On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 15:18:32 +1300, "AD." <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 11 Feb 2005 13:18:31 +1300, Allistar wrote:
    >

    >> From memory the two CPU's must have matching batch numbers. You can just
    >> mix and match two random CPUs, even if they are spec'd the same.

    >That's only if you want officially guaranteed compatibility. In practice
    >different steppings will still work most of the time.
    >
    >I've also heard that with each successive generation of chips (starting
    >with the original Pentium) this becomes less of a problem to the point
    >where it no longer matters with current chips.

    It can sometimes depend on the motherboard & BIOS, but generally
    speaking there's no issues with mixed steppings using Intel PIII CPUs.
    Intel put out a CPU compatibility chart and there's no known issues
    that I can recall with any of their PIII CPUs, just a number that have
    never been officially tested together. I've seen heaps of brand name
    servers with mixed steppings & none have ever caused trouble.

    All decent server boards have the microcode for CPU steppings in the
    BIOS, the microcodes updates are released by Intel, with a new CPU,
    to resolve any issues with older steppings. Compaqs common
    'unsupported processor detected' message when you upgrade or add a
    later model CPU to one of their Proliants is due to the BIOS not
    having the microcode for the stepping of the new CPU installed... IBM
    & Intel server boards are similar.

    Cheers

    Gavin

    Gavin Tunney, Feb 11, 2005
  17. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    bAZZ Guest

    argghhhh....Got a couple of PIIII-(555 and 733), and maybe a 900
    somewhere that dave,s post reminded me to hunt out mobo for. If ya
    throwing out anymore steve I'll bring up a rubbish bin for ya to chuck
    em in -:)

    bAZZ

    by way Steve... my bro got a starwars game from you thru trademe before
    xmas (board game) for my oldest strarwars-mad boy. He has been using it
    heaps and I wondeered if it was yours from long distant past. haha. Was
    in great condition and really good value. He was sooo pleased santa had
    found a 20 yo game in such great nic. Was more impressed by it than any
    other more expensive gift. May have to call around before xmas to seeya
    again this year for more bargains. Just don't go throwing too much in
    skip LOL

    bAZZ, Feb 11, 2005
  18. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    mark Guest

    steve <> wrote in

    > Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> that they'd like to give me? :)
    >>
    >> I have a dual box with one CPU(P3 500) and am wanting to run some
    >> apps that will run a lot better with another CPU in there.
    >>
    >> either that or if someone has something faster or slower, and just
    >> wants to get rid of one, I'll take that too(a friend has a single P3
    >> 500 and will trade for something faster).
    >>
    >> If cash is needed, I'd rather make it small as cash isn't flowing as
    >> freely as it should at the moment.

    > I threw a PIII-500 out today. Motherboard, CPU, ram and all.

    Oh the waste :-(

    mark, Feb 12, 2005
  19. Dave - Dave.net.nz

    froggy Guest

    On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:32:40 +0000, mark wrote:

    > steve <> wrote in
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>> that they'd like to give me? :)
    >>>
    >>> I have a dual box with one CPU(P3 500) and am wanting to run some
    >>> apps that will run a lot better with another CPU in there.
    >>>
    >>> either that or if someone has something faster or slower, and just
    >>> wants to get rid of one, I'll take that too(a friend has a single P3
    >>> 500 and will trade for something faster).
    >>>
    >>> If cash is needed, I'd rather make it small as cash isn't flowing as
    >>> freely as it should at the moment.

    >> I threw a PIII-500 out today. Motherboard, CPU, ram and all.

    > Oh the waste :-(

    i shed a tear when I read his post to :'(

    froggy, Feb 12, 2005
  20. froggy said the following on 12/02/2005 2:33 p.m.:
    > On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 01:32:40 +0000, mark wrote:
    >

    >>steve <> wrote in

    >>>I threw a PIII-500 out today. Motherboard, CPU, ram and all.

    >>Oh the waste :-(

    > i shed a tear when I read his post to :'(

    Dam that could have made me a good Firewall Proxy machine

    | Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E |

    Collector»NZ, Feb 12, 2005