    The room I was in was well lit so there was no lighting problem.

    Not sure if this is the way the webcam works or whether there is a problem
    with it. Any ideas?

    Young Man, May 31, 2005

  2. Young Man

    JC Guest

    In article <d7gf2p$gib$>, says...
    > I bought a Logitech Quickcam Express yesterday and when I plugged it in I
    > was very disappointed with the quality of the picture. It was reddish-orange
    > and nl amount of tweaking the settings could make the proper colours appear.
    > The room I was in was well lit so there was no lighting problem.
    >
    > Not sure if this is the way the webcam works or whether there is a problem
    > with it. Any ideas?

    Yeah I have, not that I use it anymore, but the quality is great.
    Have you checked out logitechs website for info maybe?
    Could be a faulty cam too.

    JC, May 31, 2005

  3. Young Man

    Tim Guest

    Do you have all the settings set to auto?
    If you are under incandescent lighting you will got some yellowing, but
    thats expected. If after you have checked the settings are all auto, I would
    take it back.

    - Tim

    Tim, May 31, 2005
  4. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    "Tim" <> wrote in message news:d7gg8o$84h$...
    > Do you have all the settings set to auto?
    > If you are under incandescent lighting you will got some yellowing, but
    > thats expected. If after you have checked the settings are all auto, I
    > would take it back.

    Yes all the settings were on auto. I also downloaded the latest drivers and
    installed directx 9 on my computer. Got the same problem. I have a feeling
    the camera is faulty.

    Young Man, May 31, 2005
  5. Young Man

    Young Man Guest

    "JC" <> wrote in message
    > Yeah I have, not that I use it anymore, but the quality is great.
    > Have you checked out logitechs website for info maybe?
    > Could be a faulty cam too.

    Everything's pointing towards a faulty cam. I'll take it back tomorrow.
    Thanks for the info.

    Young Man, May 31, 2005
  6. I have to say that the picture quality on a USB camera I bought last Xmas is
    not much better than an old one I bought seven years go. They all have
    horrible quality...

    Is there any digital USB camera that actually gives a good quality picture?
    Some say they have 24fps capture and what else, but when connected to a
    computer all you see is a talking head with images jumping every 1/4 second
    or so. And that's on the local monitor window.

    Not good really.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, May 31, 2005
  7. On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:17:08 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    <> wrote:

    >I have to say that the picture quality on a USB camera I bought last Xmas is
    >not much better than an old one I bought seven years go. They all have
    >horrible quality...
    >
    >Is there any digital USB camera that actually gives a good quality picture?
    >Some say they have 24fps capture and what else, but when connected to a
    >computer all you see is a talking head with images jumping every 1/4 second
    >or so. And that's on the local monitor window.

    It depends on the speed of the USB interface both in the camera and
    your PC
    A frame of 640x480 contains about half a million pixels
    If its 32 bit colour then each pixel take 4 bytes so that is 2 MB per
    frame and I'm gonna assume that it a simple device that has a USB
    interface doesn't compresss the data before it transmits it
    For 24 frams a second 48 MB of data every second is going to be sent
    The slowest USB interfaces arent fast enough to do this
    Hell even a 100Mbps network card couldn't move this much data
    Firewire is what you need on such an interface

    FreedomChooser, May 31, 2005
  8. "FreedomChooser" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:17:08 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>I have to say that the picture quality on a USB camera I bought last Xmas
    >>is
    >>not much better than an old one I bought seven years go. They all have
    >>horrible quality...
    >>
    >>Is there any digital USB camera that actually gives a good quality
    >>picture?
    >>Some say they have 24fps capture and what else, but when connected to a
    >>computer all you see is a talking head with images jumping every 1/4
    >>second
    >>or so. And that's on the local monitor window.

    > It depends on the speed of the USB interface both in the camera and
    > your PC
    > A frame of 640x480 contains about half a million pixels
    > If its 32 bit colour then each pixel take 4 bytes so that is 2 MB per
    > frame and I'm gonna assume that it a simple device that has a USB
    > interface doesn't compresss the data before it transmits it
    > For 24 frams a second 48 MB of data every second is going to be sent
    > The slowest USB interfaces arent fast enough to do this
    > Hell even a 100Mbps network card couldn't move this much data
    > Firewire is what you need on such an interface

    Actually USB 2.0 and Firewire are almost the same speed... But where would
    you find a USB 2.0 camera? I tried looking for one around here :(

    As for speed, I have two Firewire external drives and one of them can be
    connected to USB 2.0 as well, transfer time is almost identical. I have
    actually decided to move a Virtual PC (Windows 2003 Server) to one of my
    250GB external drives, because in terms of transfer it should be ok for my
    low usage (mainly Exchange Servce and ASP testing) - without that Virtual PC
    running on my main HDD the entire machine is faster now...

    But then this will go OT.

    http://www.geekzone.co.nz

    Mauricio Freitas, May 31, 2005
  9. On Tue, 31 May 2005 17:20:54 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    <> wrote:

    >"FreedomChooser" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 31 May 2005 14:17:08 +1200, "Mauricio Freitas"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I have to say that the picture quality on a USB camera I bought last Xmas
    >>>is
    >>>not much better than an old one I bought seven years go. They all have
    >>>horrible quality...
    >>>
    >>>Is there any digital USB camera that actually gives a good quality
    >>>picture?
    >>>Some say they have 24fps capture and what else, but when connected to a
    >>>computer all you see is a talking head with images jumping every 1/4
    >>>second
    >>>or so. And that's on the local monitor window.

    >> It depends on the speed of the USB interface both in the camera and
    >> your PC
    >> A frame of 640x480 contains about half a million pixels
    >> If its 32 bit colour then each pixel take 4 bytes so that is 2 MB per
    >> frame and I'm gonna assume that it a simple device that has a USB
    >> interface doesn't compresss the data before it transmits it
    >> For 24 frams a second 48 MB of data every second is going to be sent
    >> The slowest USB interfaces arent fast enough to do this
    >> Hell even a 100Mbps network card couldn't move this much data
    >> Firewire is what you need on such an interface
    >>

    >Actually USB 2.0 and Firewire are almost the same speed... But where would
    >you find a USB 2.0 camera? I tried looking for one around here :(

    Yes but
    The actual speed of the peripheral can be fast slow or medium as it
    were
    If the camera decides to go at 1.2 Mbps the slowest speed there is
    nothing the PC can do about it

    FreedomChooser, May 31, 2005