Anyone got a Localphone.co.uk account?

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Graham., Aug 25, 2012.

  1. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    Check your email from the 18/19 Aug and see if you got some spam from
    "All Business Match Maker LLC"
    addressed to the exact name and email address you used to open your
    Localphone account.
    This is in clear breach of Localphones own privacy policy

    http://www.localphone.com/privacy
    "Localphone does not sell, trade, or disclose personally identifiable
    information to third parties for unrelated marketing purposes"

    I have been using unique and therefore traceable email addresses when
    applying for on-line services for several years and, coupled with my
    discretion about what I apply for, I am please to report that this
    sort of thing has rarely happened, and I have to say I was surprised
    it was a UK registered company that bucked the trend.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Aug 25, 2012

  2. In message <>, Graham.
    <> writes
    >Check your email from the 18/19 Aug and see if you got some spam from
    >"All Business Match Maker LLC"
    >addressed to the exact name and email address you used to open your
    >Localphone account.
    >This is in clear breach of Localphones own privacy policy
    >
    >http://www.localphone.com/privacy
    >"Localphone does not sell, trade, or disclose personally identifiable
    >information to third parties for unrelated marketing purposes"
    >
    >I have been using unique and therefore traceable email addresses when
    >applying for on-line services for several years and, coupled with my
    >discretion about what I apply for, I am please to report that this
    >sort of thing has rarely happened, and I have to say I was surprised
    >it was a UK registered company that bucked the trend.

    I too use the same strategy of a unique e-mail address being given to
    companies. I think 3 of these unique addresses have been compromised
    over the past 5 years and surprisingly they've all been from very
    reputable companies; a UK registered ferry company, a photographic
    supplier and, would you believe it, an internet services company.

    When I approached the companies two immediately admitted to having had
    their servers hacked and data stolen, the third was very surprised but
    started an investigation which resulted in them admitting to have found
    a vulnerability in their system.

    I've had other unique e-mail addresses compromised from 'outfits' I'm
    not surprised by at all. That's the glory of unique addresses, you can
    set up a bounce for mail to that one address and not risk losing
    anything of importance.

    Malcolm

    Malcolm Loades, Aug 26, 2012

  3. Graham.

    Graham. Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2012 06:56:05 +0100, Malcolm Loades <>
    wrote:

    >In message <>, Graham.
    ><> writes
    >>Check your email from the 18/19 Aug and see if you got some spam from
    >>"All Business Match Maker LLC"
    >>addressed to the exact name and email address you used to open your
    >>Localphone account.
    >>This is in clear breach of Localphones own privacy policy
    >>
    >>http://www.localphone.com/privacy
    >>"Localphone does not sell, trade, or disclose personally identifiable
    >>information to third parties for unrelated marketing purposes"
    >>
    >>I have been using unique and therefore traceable email addresses when
    >>applying for on-line services for several years and, coupled with my
    >>discretion about what I apply for, I am please to report that this
    >>sort of thing has rarely happened, and I have to say I was surprised
    >>it was a UK registered company that bucked the trend.

    >I too use the same strategy of a unique e-mail address being given to
    >companies. I think 3 of these unique addresses have been compromised
    >over the past 5 years and surprisingly they've all been from very
    >reputable companies; a UK registered ferry company, a photographic
    >supplier and, would you believe it, an internet services company.
    >
    >When I approached the companies two immediately admitted to having had
    >their servers hacked and data stolen, the third was very surprised but
    >started an investigation which resulted in them admitting to have found
    >a vulnerability in their system.
    >
    >I've had other unique e-mail addresses compromised from 'outfits' I'm
    >not surprised by at all. That's the glory of unique addresses, you can
    >set up a bounce for mail to that one address and not risk losing
    >anything of importance.
    >
    >Malcolm

    The email address I speak of is a 10+ year old Freeserve one in the
    form of
    Wanadoo issued them in the same format when they took over, I'm not
    sure about Orange ones but they have keep the legacy ones going so
    far.
    I suppose a savvy spammer could change the bit before the @ to
    something random, and I think I've seen that done once or twice, but
    in the main they are not that sophisticated.

    --
    Graham.
    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Aug 26, 2012