Anyone from Sweden into IR photo here?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Sandman, Jul 2, 2012.

  1. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
    option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
    pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.

    Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jul 2, 2012
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Sandman

    otter Guest

    On Jul 2, 2:27 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    > I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
    > option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
    > pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
    >
    > Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
    >
    > --
    > Sandman[.net]


    What camera were you thinking about doing this to? For a cheap DSLR,
    I'd be tempted to take the DIY route. YOU could be the place in
    Sweden that does this.
    otter, Jul 3, 2012
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article
    <>,
    otter <> wrote:

    > On Jul 2, 2:27 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    > > I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
    > > option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
    > > pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
    > >
    > > Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
    > >
    > > --
    > > Sandman[.net]

    >
    > What camera were you thinking about doing this to? For a cheap DSLR,
    > I'd be tempted to take the DIY route. YOU could be the place in
    > Sweden that does this.


    Haha :)

    I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
    calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.

    The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
    costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
    fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
    fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
    should do.




    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jul 3, 2012
    #3
  4. Sandman

    Rob Guest

    On 3/07/2012 3:41 PM, Sandman wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > otter <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 2, 2:27 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    >>> I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
    >>> option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
    >>> pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Sandman[.net]

    >>
    >> What camera were you thinking about doing this to? For a cheap DSLR,
    >> I'd be tempted to take the DIY route. YOU could be the place in
    >> Sweden that does this.

    >
    > Haha :)
    >
    > I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
    > calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.
    >
    > The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
    > costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
    > fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
    > fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
    > should do.
    >
    >
    >
    >



    Although this is out of date but maybe a reference. there are sites
    which give you a DIY prospective.

    http://khromagery.com.au/index.html
    Rob, Jul 3, 2012
    #4
  5. Sandman

    otter Guest

    On Jul 3, 12:41 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    >
    >  otter <> wrote:
    > > On Jul 2, 2:27 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    > > > I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
    > > > option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
    > > > pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.

    >
    > > > Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?

    >
    > > > --
    > > > Sandman[.net]

    >
    > > What camera were you thinking about doing this to?  For a cheap DSLR,
    > > I'd be tempted to take the DIY route.  YOU could be the place in
    > > Sweden that does this.

    >
    > Haha :)
    >
    > I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
    > calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.
    >
    > The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
    > costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
    > fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
    > fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
    > should do.
    >
    > --
    > Sandman[.net]


    These tutorials seem to spell out the process in detail for quite a
    few cameras:
    http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials

    I thought you were going to convert an old camera you already own. If
    you are going to buy a camera for the pupose, that adds to the cost,
    of course, but you might want to consider just buying one that has
    already been converted.

    As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
    you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
    manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
    probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.

    Bear in mind that I have no experience in actually doing this, so take
    this with a grain of salt. I've considered doing this in the past, but
    never got around to it. Just giving some attention to an otherwise
    neglected thread that seemed to be withering on the vine. If someone
    has actual experience and wants to speak up, please do.
    otter, Jul 3, 2012
    #5
  6. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/3/2012 1:41 AM, Sandman wrote:
    > In article
    > <>,
    > otter <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Jul 2, 2:27 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    >>> I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
    >>> option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
    >>> pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
    >>>
    >>> --
    >>> Sandman[.net]

    >>
    >> What camera were you thinking about doing this to? For a cheap DSLR,
    >> I'd be tempted to take the DIY route. YOU could be the place in
    >> Sweden that does this.

    >
    > Haha :)
    >
    > I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
    > calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.
    >
    > The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
    > costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
    > fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
    > fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
    > should do.
    >


    I paid a camera mechanic about fifty dollars to remove the IR filter.
    While the results are not true infrared, I am quite satisfied.
    this also appeared in the SI

    <http://peternewman.smugmug.com/Photography/Landscapes/21271534_mw4B9R#!i=1730614889&k=WGpJLmN&lb=1&s=A>

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 3, 2012
    #6
  7. Sandman

    Sandman Guest

    In article
    <>,
    otter <> wrote:

    > > I don't think it's complicated, really. But from what I've read, focus
    > > calibration may get wonky when doing it yourself.
    > >
    > > The guides I've seen are for cameras such as the D70, which still
    > > costs about $360 on Ebay here in Sweden. So a new D3100 may be equally
    > > fitting, since it retails at about $490. I know the D70 is more
    > > fitting for using a IR filter, but for an IR conversion, any camera
    > > should do.

    >
    > These tutorials seem to spell out the process in detail for quite a
    > few cameras:
    > http://www.lifepixel.com/tutorials/infrared-diy-tutorials


    Yes, those are the ones I've been looking at.

    > I thought you were going to convert an old camera you already own. If
    > you are going to buy a camera for the pupose, that adds to the cost,
    > of course, but you might want to consider just buying one that has
    > already been converted.


    I don't know if there is much IR conversion here in Sweden, not that I
    know of. Finding a used one doesn't seem easy. I'll bid on some older
    D50's and see if I can get one cheap. D70's usually get quite
    expensive in auctions

    > As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
    > you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
    > manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
    > probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.


    Well, that's true. While I'll probably be doing handheld shots just to
    see the effects, most will be landscapes of course. But - most Nikons
    have a indicator to show if the subject is in focus even when focusing
    manually, which probably also will be out of whack.

    > Bear in mind that I have no experience in actually doing this, so take
    > this with a grain of salt. I've considered doing this in the past, but
    > never got around to it. Just giving some attention to an otherwise
    > neglected thread that seemed to be withering on the vine. If someone
    > has actual experience and wants to speak up, please do.


    If I go through with it, I'll post about it here. :)


    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman, Jul 4, 2012
    #7
  8. Sandman

    RichA Guest

    On Jul 2, 3:27 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    > I've always wanted to do a IR conversion on a camera, but the only
    > option I've found is the one from Lifepixel, and it just seems a bit
    > pricey to send a camera from Sweden to them for conversion.
    >
    > Anyone know of a place that would do such a conversion in Sweden?
    >
    > --
    > Sandman[.net]


    Get a D70/s Nikon for $200, follow Lifepixel's instructions and remove
    the IR filter. Use a wide angle lens (28mm or wider) and shoot at
    f8.0 using the IR hyperfocal mark. You won't need the internal glass
    plate to rectify focus, so no $170 charge.
    RichA, Jul 4, 2012
    #8
  9. Sandman

    otter Guest

    On Jul 4, 12:40 am, Sandman <> wrote:

    > > As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
    > > you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
    > > manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
    > > probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.

    >
    > Well, that's true. While I'll probably be doing handheld shots just to
    > see the effects, most will be landscapes of course. But - most Nikons
    > have a indicator to show if the subject is in focus even when focusing
    > manually, which probably also will be out of whack.


    I've been playing with a Samyang 14mm, which is a manual focus lens.
    Manual focusing is perhaps a lost art, but you get better with
    practice. After a while, you judge distances better and learn where
    to set the dial. Maybe focus confirmation would help, but I don't see
    it as essential. People used to take pictures without that in the
    past, after all.
    otter, Jul 4, 2012
    #9
  10. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/4/2012 9:31 AM, otter wrote:
    > On Jul 4, 12:40 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    >
    >>> As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
    >>> you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
    >>> manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
    >>> probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.

    >>
    >> Well, that's true. While I'll probably be doing handheld shots just to
    >> see the effects, most will be landscapes of course. But - most Nikons
    >> have a indicator to show if the subject is in focus even when focusing
    >> manually, which probably also will be out of whack.

    >
    > I've been playing with a Samyang 14mm, which is a manual focus lens.
    > Manual focusing is perhaps a lost art, but you get better with
    > practice. After a while, you judge distances better and learn where
    > to set the dial. Maybe focus confirmation would help, but I don't see
    > it as essential. People used to take pictures without that in the
    > past, after all.
    >


    Correct. I wonder how many still use hyperfocal distance focusing

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 4, 2012
    #10
  11. PeterN <> wrote:
    > On 7/4/2012 9:31 AM, otter wrote:
    >> On Jul 4, 12:40 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>> As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
    >>>> you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
    >>>> manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
    >>>> probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.
    >>>
    >>> Well, that's true. While I'll probably be doing handheld shots just to
    >>> see the effects, most will be landscapes of course. But - most Nikons
    >>> have a indicator to show if the subject is in focus even when focusing
    >>> manually, which probably also will be out of whack.

    >>
    >> I've been playing with a Samyang 14mm, which is a manual focus lens.
    >> Manual focusing is perhaps a lost art, but you get better with
    >> practice. After a while, you judge distances better and learn where
    >> to set the dial. Maybe focus confirmation would help, but I don't see
    >> it as essential. People used to take pictures without that in the
    >> past, after all.


    > Correct. I wonder how many still use hyperfocal distance focusing?


    I usually do with focal lengths less than around 40mm, but I find the
    required focal length by careful manual focusing.

    --
    Chris Malcolm
    Chris Malcolm, Jul 4, 2012
    #11
  12. Sandman

    PeterN Guest

    On 7/4/2012 4:25 PM, Eric Stevens wrote:
    > On Wed, 04 Jul 2012 11:09:31 -0400, PeterN
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On 7/4/2012 9:31 AM, otter wrote:
    >>> On Jul 4, 12:40 am, Sandman <> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>>> As for focus adjustment, I'd lean towards using a camera with MFA, so
    >>>>> you could fine tune it after the fact, or failing that, just use a
    >>>>> manual focus lens with it (which implies using a DSLR), since you will
    >>>>> probably do mostly landscapes, anyway.
    >>>>
    >>>> Well, that's true. While I'll probably be doing handheld shots just to
    >>>> see the effects, most will be landscapes of course. But - most Nikons
    >>>> have a indicator to show if the subject is in focus even when focusing
    >>>> manually, which probably also will be out of whack.
    >>>
    >>> I've been playing with a Samyang 14mm, which is a manual focus lens.
    >>> Manual focusing is perhaps a lost art, but you get better with
    >>> practice. After a while, you judge distances better and learn where
    >>> to set the dial. Maybe focus confirmation would help, but I don't see
    >>> it as essential. People used to take pictures without that in the
    >>> past, after all.
    >>>

    >>
    >> Correct. I wonder how many still use hyperfocal distance focusing

    >
    > I wonder how many have lenses with hyperfocal distances marked on the
    > scale. I have only one, a twenty year old 105mm Nikon macro.
    >
    > Regards,
    >
    > Eric Stevens
    >


    Very few have it marked. But I usually wing it by setting the focus
    about 1/3 of the distance between me and the last object I would like to
    see in reasonable focus, at f16, or f11. Of course like may other things
    photographic, this varies with the scene and the lens.

    --
    Peter
    PeterN, Jul 5, 2012
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Christer Bergstrom
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    2,233
    Brian V
    Jul 10, 2005
  2. Lars Netzel
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    417
    Lars Netzel
    Feb 15, 2005
  3. Ramana
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    541
  4. Imhotep

    Sweden's File Sharing Debate Becomes Mass Brawl

    Imhotep, Oct 21, 2005, in forum: Computer Security
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    501
    Imhotep
    Oct 21, 2005
  5. Sandman

    Sweden is beautiful

    Sandman, Jun 8, 2014, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    271
    Sandman
    Jun 10, 2014
Loading...

Share This Page