    on the east coast. i would expect this technology has improved but havent
    seen anything advertised.

    cheers
    bruce, Nov 25, 2003

  2. In <> bruce wrote:
    > a satellite phone with voice & data capability, probably an inbuilt
    > modem? at least a fax/data port.
    >
    > not unlike something you might want to try for accessing the internet
    > from your caravan or boat? not expecting anything like broadband
    > performance.
    >
    > i've used a telecom australia satellite "luggable" phone that you plug
    > a modem into. it was a crazy system using one satellite (and phone
    > number) from the west coast of Ambon and another when we were
    > on the east coast. i would expect this technology has improved but
    > havent seen anything advertised.
    >
    > cheers

    That sounds like an Inmarsat system. Inmarsat uses satellites in
    geostationary orbit, so each satellite covers a fixed area. The drawback
    is that you need relatively large transmitters and receiving aerials to
    communicate with a satellite about 35000km above you, so the phones
    start at briefcase size. Data rate varies depending on which Inmarsat
    system you use.

    The Iridium satellite phone system uses a constellation of low orbit
    satellites and so allows for handheld phones, about the size of the old
    'brick' cellular phones from the 1980s. Data rate is only 2400 bit/s
    though.

    For either system the prices are generally measured in dollars _per
    minute_, so you wouldn't want to use it for anything more than email
    unless you're really, really rich!

    An NZ connection provider, with info and prices:
    http://www.rocom.co.nz/products_services/satellite/satellite.htm

    Apple II - FutureCop:LAPD - iMac Game Wizard
    http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~rojaws/
    "This 'telephone' has too many shortcomings to be seriously considered
    as a means of communication. The device is inherently of no value to us"

    Western Union memo, 1876
    Roger Johnstone, Nov 26, 2003

  3. bruce

    bruce Guest

    On Wed, 26 Nov 2003 08:38:49 +0000, Roger Johnstone wrote:

    > In <> bruce wrote:
    >> a satellite phone with voice & data capability, probably an inbuilt
    >> modem? at least a fax/data port.
    >>
    >> not unlike something you might want to try for accessing the internet
    >> from your caravan or boat? not expecting anything like broadband
    >> performance.
    >>
    >> i've used a telecom australia satellite "luggable" phone that you plug a
    >> modem into. it was a crazy system using one satellite (and phone number)
    >> from the west coast of Ambon and another when we were on the east coast.
    >> i would expect this technology has improved but havent seen anything
    >> advertised.
    >>
    >> cheers

    > That sounds like an Inmarsat system. Inmarsat uses satellites in
    > geostationary orbit, so each satellite covers a fixed area. The drawback
    > is that you need relatively large transmitters and receiving aerials to
    > communicate with a satellite about 35000km above you, so the phones start
    > at briefcase size. Data rate varies depending on which Inmarsat system you
    > use.
    >
    > The Iridium satellite phone system uses a constellation of low orbit
    > satellites and so allows for handheld phones, about the size of the old
    > 'brick' cellular phones from the 1980s. Data rate is only 2400 bit/s
    > though.
    >
    > For either system the prices are generally measured in dollars _per
    > minute_, so you wouldn't want to use it for anything more than email
    > unless you're really, really rich!
    >
    > An NZ connection provider, with info and prices:
    > http://www.rocom.co.nz/products_services/satellite/satellite.htm

    Yes, that was using Inmarsat, with Nera handsets. I also installed a
    comms/nav system on a fleet of pearl trawlers using Westinghouse S3000
    systems for voice & data. It was never much better than 4800bps for data
    either. Thanks for the link.
    bruce, Nov 27, 2003