Anyone feel like an anagram?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Steve B, Jun 8, 2006.

  1. Steve B

    Steve B Guest

    "Ninety six bottles of beer, three a's, three b's, one c, two d's,
    thirty two e's, six f's, two g's, six h's, twelve i's, one j, one k,
    five l's, one m, eighteen n's, fourteen o's, one p, six r's, twenty
    seven s's, twenty t's, two u's, seven v's, nine w's, five x's, and
    five y's on the wall..lets goto mcdonalds soon. we can get a hamburger
    or too [sic]."

    Interesting piece of dummy text I got in a spam message this morning.
    Is it an anagram of some phrase?

    A long string of alphabetically-arranged letters anagramming some
    secret phrase was a 17th/18th century practice for concealing some
    vital discovery in the days before patents were secure. If anyone
    copied your idea, you could produce the anagram and claim prior
    discovery. The classic is Robert Hook's "ceiiinosssttuu" = "ut tensio
    sic uis" (the force that a spring pulls back with is proportional to
    the amount you stretch it).

    I don't know if there's a program that will toil away and get a
    sensible set of words out of this one; it'll probably be something
    obscene or a promise of a university degree or an unprecedented
    investment opportunity.

    Or maybe nothing at all. Where's Signor da Vinci when you need him?

    cheers,

    BeeStv
    Steve B, Jun 8, 2006

  2. Steve B

    anon k Guest

    Steve B wrote:
    > "Ninety six bottles of beer, three a's, three b's, one c, two d's,
    > thirty two e's, six f's, two g's, six h's, twelve i's, one j, one k,
    > five l's, one m, eighteen n's, fourteen o's, one p, six r's, twenty
    > seven s's, twenty t's, two u's, seven v's, nine w's, five x's, and
    > five y's on the wall..lets goto mcdonalds soon. we can get a hamburger
    > or too [sic]."
    >
    > Interesting piece of dummy text I got in a spam message this morning.
    > Is it an anagram of some phrase?

    Up to a point, the text describes itself. Then it breaks down. I've
    never seen it with the mcdonalds bit at the end.

    This sentence has three a's, two c's, two d's, nineteen e's, six f's,
    two g's, five h's, ten i's, two l's, twelve n's, nine o's, five r's,
    twenty six s's, sixteen t's, four u's, four v's, eight w's, four x's,
    and two y's.

    > A long string of alphabetically-arranged letters anagramming some
    > secret phrase was a 17th/18th century practice for concealing some
    > vital discovery in the days before patents were secure. If anyone
    > copied your idea, you could produce the anagram and claim prior
    > discovery. The classic is Robert Hook's "ceiiinosssttuu" = "ut tensio
    > sic uis" (the force that a spring pulls back with is proportional to
    > the amount you stretch it).

    There's apparently another by Galileo from which Kepler squeezed a wrong
    solution that he proceeded to work from. I remember coming across some
    book that listed quite a few of these anagrams. One or two of Hooke's
    still haven't been decoded.
    anon k, Jun 8, 2006

  3. Steve B

    BTMO Guest

    "Steve B" <> wrote

    > Or maybe nothing at all. Where's Signor da Vinci when you need him?

    Dead.

    I think it has something to do with the KT boundary, but I am not sure...
    BTMO, Jun 9, 2006
  4. Steve B

    Ian Guest

    self referential sentence (it talks about itself) probably used to get
    around spam filters

    Ian

    Ian, Jun 9, 2006
  5. Steve B

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2006-06-08, Steve B <> wrote:
    > "Ninety six bottles of beer, three a's, three b's, one c, two d's,
    > thirty two e's, six f's, two g's, six h's, twelve i's, one j, one k,
    > five l's, one m, eighteen n's, fourteen o's, one p, six r's, twenty
    > seven s's, twenty t's, two u's, seven v's, nine w's, five x's, and
    > five y's on the wall..lets goto mcdonalds soon. we can get a hamburger
    > or too [sic]."
    >
    > Interesting piece of dummy text I got in a spam message this morning.
    > Is it an anagram of some phrase?
    >
    > A long string of alphabetically-arranged letters anagramming some
    > secret phrase was a 17th/18th century practice for concealing some
    > vital discovery in the days before patents were secure. If anyone
    > copied your idea, you could produce the anagram and claim prior
    > discovery. The classic is Robert Hook's "ceiiinosssttuu" = "ut tensio
    > sic uis" (the force that a spring pulls back with is proportional to
    > the amount you stretch it).
    >
    > I don't know if there's a program that will toil away and get a
    > sensible set of words out of this one; it'll probably be something
    > obscene or a promise of a university degree or an unprecedented
    > investment opportunity.

    I've got a prog called "an"

    photojournalism's extraterrestrials exclusiveness's extensiveness's
    extensiveness's extensiveness's foreknowledge's weightlessness's
    twentieths twentieth twentieth twentieth downy vow wyo ivy nov fob
    off off bony bony

    nonsense, but it matches the count...

    there's only a million(guess) others like that to comb through,

    Bye.
    Jasen
    Jasen Betts, Jun 9, 2006