Anyone familiar with use of Windows CE 5.0?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Aardvark, Jan 28, 2010.

  1. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    Got a phone call from a friend who has bought a netbook running Windows CE
    5.0. I helped her to connect it wirelessly to her home network.

    A couple of hours later, she rang again. It seems that she can't get
    Youtube videos to play on the thing. Can't even find aversion of Flash
    Player that'll work.

    I've done a fair bit of googling and discovered that a lot of people have
    a lot of questions regarding this OS and Flash, but no answers in
    evidence.

    Can anyone offer any advice on how to get Flash content to play on the
    netbook?

    And how the hell does one update CE 5.0?

    --
    Algy met a bear
    The bear was bulgy

    Aardvark, Jan 28, 2010

  2. Aardvark

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2010-01-28, Aardvark <> wrote:
    > Got a phone call from a friend who has bought a netbook running Windows CE
    > 5.0. I helped her to connect it wirelessly to her home network.
    >
    > A couple of hours later, she rang again. It seems that she can't get
    > Youtube videos to play on the thing. Can't even find aversion of Flash
    > Player that'll work.
    >
    > I've done a fair bit of googling and discovered that a lot of people have
    > a lot of questions regarding this OS and Flash, but no answers in
    > evidence.
    >
    > Can anyone offer any advice on how to get Flash content to play on the
    > netbook?

    Probably not possible. The same applies to the low-powered Linux
    netbooks (ARM or MIPS processors). Although a determined user could try
    installing Gnash. These machines might look like tiny laptops, but
    the cheap ones are cheap for a reason - and the tiny but fully functional
    sub-notebooks are jolly expensive even if you can find one (I'm not sure
    anyone's making a 'real laptop' with a screen smaller than 10" any more).

    I forked out for a MIPS-based Linux netbook from Maplin last year; it's
    fine for email, and can browse the web if you're patient (or install Links
    as an alternative to the pre-installed Firefox-derivative); it can even
    manage a small spreadsheet or word-processor document. But that's about
    it. However, it is very light-weight, and cheap enough not to be paranoid
    about taking it out in the pub or caff. And it just about fits into a
    large overcoat pocket.

    > And how the hell does one update CE 5.0?

    Blowed if I know! <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms905511.aspx>
    "Welcome to Windows CE 5.0"

    My only encounter with WinCE was years ago, on a PDA; the only way to
    install or update anything was via a serial cable to a Windows PC running
    Microsoft ActiveSync (which was horrible).
    <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa913903.aspx> "ActiveSync".

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jan 28, 2010

  3. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    Aardvark, Jan 29, 2010
  4. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Thu, 28 Jan 2010 17:20:04 +0000, Whiskers wrote:

    >> And how the hell does one update CE 5.0?

    > Blowed if I know!
    > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms905511.aspx> "Welcome to
    > Windows CE 5.0"
    >
    > My only encounter with WinCE was years ago, on a PDA; the only way to
    > install or update anything was via a serial cable to a Windows PC
    > running Microsoft ActiveSync (which was horrible).
    > <http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa913903.aspx> "ActiveSync".

    LOL. My friend'll just love trawling through that lot. Thanks, mate. Looks
    like you've given me some reading to do.

    --
    Algy met a bear
    The bear was bulgy

    Aardvark, Jan 29, 2010
  5. Aardvark

    Aardvark Guest

    On Fri, 29 Jan 2010 18:18:30 +1000, Andy wrote:

    >> Can anyone offer any advice on how to get Flash content to play on the
    >> netbook?

    > Hmm. I thought 'CE' was the stripped down version usually installed on
    > thin client devices, and doesn't really do much useful.

    Apparently the netbook has a 4 GB solid-state HD, so I tend to take your
    point here.

    >> And how the hell does one update CE 5.0?

    > My first thoughts on 'updating' such a limited OS involve formatting the
    > hard drive and installing something else. As always YMMV.

    Had it been my machine the first thing I'd have done would have been
    format and install DSL or Puppy. As I'm unlikely to be able to talk her
    into dong that, I think I'm stuck with searching for specific answers to
    my specific questions.

    Googling offers up results where others are asking the self-same questions
    about flash and updating and not getting anything resembling a simple
    answer, if replies are offered at all.

    I'll just regard it as an intellectual challenge.

    --
    Algy met a bear
    The bear was bulgy

    Aardvark, Jan 29, 2010