    A couple programmers I know suggest I switch from IE to Mozilla's Firefox.
    Anyone know anything about it? Is it that good, or am I asking for trouble?
    Linda

    Linda Barr, Jun 26, 2004

  2. Linda Barr

    Boomer Guest

    "Linda Barr" <> wrote:

    > A couple programmers I know suggest I switch from IE to
    > Mozilla's Firefox. Anyone know anything about it? Is it that
    > good, or am I asking for trouble? Linda

    No problems here! :) Listen to the programmers.

    Love Mozilla!

    www.mozilla.org

    Boomer, Jun 26, 2004

  3. Linda Barr

    The Dude Guest

    Linda Barr wrote:

    > A couple programmers I know suggest I switch from IE to Mozilla's Firefox.
    > Anyone know anything about it? Is it that good, or am I asking for trouble?
    > Linda

    Upon recommendation from "those in the know" I installed Firefox and
    Thunderbird.
    I like them both,Firefox seems a bit quicker to load pages and is less
    security vulnerable to spyware.
    Indeed since using Firefox my regular Ad_Aware scans have yeilded no
    tracking cookies etc,unlike IE which will host such files.
    Try it,I'd recommend it.
    It will import all your IE setings,favourites,links etc and you'll no
    doubt quickly adapt to the slightly different look,menus etc
    There is an update to version 0.9 from 0.8 now.
    Install that as well.

    The Dude, Jun 26, 2004
  4. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Okay guys--Two outta two vote yea, so will go for it. Thanks so much.
    Linda

    Linda Barr, Jun 26, 2004
  5. Linda Barr wrote:

    > A couple programmers I know suggest I switch from IE to Mozilla's Firefox.
    > Anyone know anything about it? Is it that good, or am I asking for trouble?
    > Linda

    Asking for trouble? No. It's quite good. But keep in mind some
    programmers hope to get lucky by recommending off-beat programs to
    newbies. Take a good look at the programmers, do they look that inviting?

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 26, 2004
  6. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Okay, I downloaded Firefox .09 and it works fine, but one major (for me)
    problem: It blocks my Gator. I know that's got built-in spyware, but all my
    passwords are stored in there. Any way to get around that, since Gator ***s
    them, making them unreadable and therefore unretrievable?
    Linda

    Linda Barr, Jun 26, 2004
  7. Get rid of Gator. No excuses.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 26, 2004
  8. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Not! ;-)

    Linda Barr, Jun 26, 2004
  9. Linda Barr

    Boomer Guest

    "Linda Barr" <> wrote:

    > Okay, I downloaded Firefox .09 and it works fine, but one major
    > (for me) problem: It blocks my Gator. I know that's got built-in
    > spyware, but all my passwords are stored in there.

    You store PASSWORDS in a SPYWARE program?

    <boggles>

    > Any way to
    > get around that, since Gator ***s them, making them unreadable
    > and therefore unretrievable? Linda

    Go to a mozilla new group and/or a spyware group!

    Boomer, Jun 26, 2004
  10. Linda Barr wrote:

    > Not! ;-)

    How about me, do I look that good? Think about it long and hard.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 26, 2004
  11. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Yeah, I know that sounds insane, but I set it up a couple years ago when I
    was too stupid to know better and never changed it. I still have the problem
    of not having a clue as to what my PWs are for about 3 dozen sites. Am I
    screwed?

    Linda Barr, Jun 26, 2004
  12. Linda Barr

    AyntRyte Guest

    Linda Barr wrote:

    > Okay, I downloaded Firefox .09 and it works fine, but one major (for me)
    > problem: It blocks my Gator. I know that's got built-in spyware, but all my
    > passwords are stored in there. Any way to get around that, since Gator ***s
    > them, making them unreadable and therefore unretrievable?
    > Linda

    Dump Gator and use the password manager built into Firefox.

    --
    \\// Robert

    ayntryte @ (that new Google email thingy) dot com

    AyntRyte, Jun 26, 2004
  13. Linda Barr

    Boomer Guest

    "Linda Barr" <> wrote:

    > Yeah, I know that sounds insane, but I set it up a couple years
    > ago when I was too stupid to know better and never changed it. I
    > still have the problem of not having a clue as to what my PWs
    > are for about 3 dozen sites. Am I screwed?

    Contact the sites and then get rid of Gator and then change your
    passwords. Please.

    > "Boomer" <> wrote in message
    >> "Linda Barr" <> wrote:
    >>
    >> > Okay, I downloaded Firefox .09 and it works fine, but one
    >> > major (for me) problem: It blocks my Gator. I know that's got
    >> > built-in spyware, but all my passwords are stored in there.

    >> You store PASSWORDS in a SPYWARE program?
    >>
    >> <boggles>
    >>
    >> > Any way to
    >> > get around that, since Gator ***s them, making them
    >> > unreadable and therefore unretrievable? Linda

    >> Go to a mozilla new group and/or a spyware group!

    [snip]

    Boomer, Jun 26, 2004
  14. Linda Barr

    Boomer Guest

    "Linda Barr" <> wrote:

    > Okay, I downloaded Firefox .09 and it works fine, but one major
    > (for me) problem: It blocks my Gator. I know that's got built-in
    > spyware, but all my passwords are stored in there. Any way to
    > get around that, since Gator ***s them, making them unreadable
    > and therefore unretrievable? Linda

    [snip]

    For what is worth..

    Install, immediately update and run, at least, the first four.

    Ad-aware Aims at Adware/Spyware.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

    SpybotS&D Aims for the dialers, trojans,
    hijackers and security/privacy issues.
    http://www.safer-networking.org/

    Spyware Blaster

    CoolWebShredder

    HijackThis
    http://tomcoyote.com/hjt/
    Install and run, then post the log to "HijackThis Logs"
    at http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php.

    http://vipmeister.com/dl/aspy/aspy.html

    Info on above and more.
    http://aumha.org/a/parasite.htm
    http://www.netrn.net/spywareblog/

    Parasites: Cookies, Dialers, Keyloggers, Trackers
    http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/bhoindex.htm

    ~ Spyware Information ~
    http://www.cexx.org/adware.htm

    ~Unsolicited commercial software list and info~
    http://www.doxdesk.com/parasite/

    ~Other software~
    http://www.wilders.org/

    Newsgroups: alt.privacy.spyware
    alt.comp.anti-virus

    Also serach Google and Googles archive for more information.

    Top 10 Tips to Keep Your Computer Virus-Free
    http://www.symantec.com/homecomputing/library/topten.html

    Boomer, Jun 26, 2004
  15. Linda Barr

    Ray W Guest

    "Linda Barr" <> wrote in

    > Okay, I downloaded Firefox .09 and it works fine, but one major
    > (for me) problem: It blocks my Gator. I know that's got built-in
    > spyware, but all my passwords are stored in there. Any way to get
    > around that, since Gator ***s them, making them unreadable and
    > therefore unretrievable? Linda

    Try this

    http://www.roboform.com/manual.html#browser_nn6

    Ray W, Jun 26, 2004
  16. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Roger: I'll plead the 5th and let it go at that.
    Boomer and others: Thanks so much for helping fix my screwup. Will get rid
    of Gator & take it from there.
    Linda

    Linda Barr, Jun 26, 2004
  17. Linda Barr

    Boomer Guest

    "Linda Barr" <> wrote:

    > Roger: I'll plead the 5th and let it go at that.
    > Boomer and others: Thanks so much for helping fix my screwup.
    > Will get rid of Gator & take it from there.
    > Linda
    >
    > "Rôgêr" <> wrote in message
    >> Linda Barr wrote:
    >>
    >> > Not! ;-)

    >> How about me, do I look that good? Think about it long and
    >> hard.

    Sanity rules! ;)

    Enjoy Mozilla. Good luck and you're welcome. :)

    Boomer, Jun 26, 2004
  18. Rôgêr wrote:
    > Linda Barr wrote:
    >
    >> Not! ;-)

    > How about me, do I look that good? Think about it long and hard.

    Er.....

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Brian_H=B9=A9?=, Jun 26, 2004
  19. Linda Barr

    trout Guest

    Brian H¹© wrote:

    > Rôgêr wrote:
    >> Linda Barr wrote:
    >>
    >>> Not! ;-)

    >> How about me, do I look that good? Think about it long and hard.
    >>

    > Er.....

    There's usually a good reason for a request to use the imagination.
    --
    "And for a short response to this small question."

    trout, Jun 26, 2004
  20. Linda Barr

    Linda Barr Guest

    Sheesh--Men!!