    Dell Dimension 4500
    WindowsXP Home
    Canon s30

    Jeff M. Ingram, Jan 16, 2004

  2. "Jeff M. Ingram" wrote:
    > Hey, I was wondering if anyone here ever setup a Canon s30/s40/s45 digi-cam
    > as a webcam? I think is supposed to be possible, but I just don't know how
    > to set it up.

    Any digicam with a live video output (most non-SLR digicams) can be used
    as a webcam when plugged into a video card that accepts composite
    input. I can use my Canon Powershot G1 (or even my VCR) as a "web cam.
    Pro: My G1 has a sharper lens and better focus control.
    Con: My $50 Logitech WebCam has better automatic control of light
    intensity. My Logitech has better low-light capability.

    -Dave

    Dave Herzstein, Jan 16, 2004

  3. I'm really looking for any assistance in how to setup my Canon s30 to work
    like a webcam. I'm really not intersted in purchasing a webcam but if my
    current camera can do it, even poorly, I'd like to at least figure out how.

    Thanks in advance for any assistance,

    Jeff

    Jeff M. Ingram, Jan 17, 2004
  4. "Jeff M. Ingram" <> wrote in message
    > I'm really looking for any assistance in how to setup my Canon s30 to work
    > like a webcam. I'm really not intersted in purchasing a webcam but if my
    > current camera can do it, even poorly, I'd like to at least figure out how.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any assistance,
    >
    > Jeff

    Well, I don't have a Canon S30, but the way I would do it with my Minolta S404, is to
    connect
    the Video output of the camera to a video input jack on the computer, and run my web cam
    software. This is exactly like hooking up my camera to my TV to display pictures. Of
    course
    this implies an analogue video input to the computer (Video card with video input, or
    any
    TV card).

    I don't know if many (or any, though there probably are a couple) cameras can use the
    USB
    port to provide a live video feed. This would probably involve some proprietary
    software that
    would come with the camera.

    --
    Dan (Woj...) dmaster (at) lucent (dot) com

    "They took all the trees, and put em in a tree museum
    And they charged the people a dollar and a half to see them
    No, no, no / Don't it always seem to go
    That you don't know what you got 'til it's gone
    They paved paradise, and put up a parking lot."

    Dan Wojciechowski, Jan 21, 2004