    Psycho, Vertigo and others. We recommend that you check the older
    Universal titles in your own collections for similar problems. Let us
    know if you're encountering this as well."

    Film Buff, Oct 12, 2005

  2. "Film Buff" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > "One last note today... we've noticed a strange thing here at The
    > Bits. In going back to a lot of our very early Universal DVD releases
    > (released in 1997 and 1998), we've discovered that many of those discs
    > have simply stopped working in our DVD players. We don't know if the
    > discs' bonding layers have gone bad, or if they're simply not
    > compatible with newer players, or what. Affected so far are our
    > original copies of the special collector's editions of Apollo 13,
    > Psycho, Vertigo and others. We recommend that you check the older
    > Universal titles in your own collections for similar problems. Let us
    > know if you're encountering this as well."

    Has anyone encountered DVD rot yet? Some of us have, and the rest don't
    believe that there is such a thing. Having this problem mentioned in the
    Digital Bits adds validity to my experience.

    Oh great! More disk rot news from Universal. I think that _Apollo 13_ and
    .... what was that Jody Foster piece of crap? ... oh yeah, _Contact_, were
    among the early Universal rotters.

    In a panic, I ran to the shelf, took _The Man Who Knew Too Much_ out of the
    player and replaced it with _American Graffiti_. My two year old progressive
    scan Sony NS501P seems to have no problem playing _American Graffiti_, which
    was one of the first Universal DVDs that I bought in 1999. I don't really
    care about the non-anamorphic versions of _Psycho_ and _Vertigo_, because
    the new anamorphic versions are in the new Hitchcock Masterpiece collection.
    And this collection has also provided backup copy of _Rear Window_.

    My collection of rotted disks included these Warner WAMO pressings, which I
    have replaced with working copies:

    Devil's Advocate (the original release with the sculpture)

    Casablanca

    My Fair Lady

    Cabaret

    The Maltese Falcon

    http://www.thedigitalbits.com/index.html

    One-Shot Scot, Oct 12, 2005

  3. All checked out fine.

    The Video Poker King, Oct 12, 2005
  4. Film Buff

    Black Locust Guest

    In article <>,
    "One-Shot Scot" <> wrote:

    > My collection of rotted disks included these Warner WAMO pressings, which I
    > have replaced with working copies:
    >
    > Devil's Advocate (the original release with the sculpture)

    Hmm. I rented a beat up copy of this one from Blockbuster about a month
    ago. It played just fine from start to finish. Maybe other factors are
    involved?

    For the record, I'm using a Panasonic DVD-S47.

    Black Locust, Oct 13, 2005
  5. Film Buff

    Jeffman316 Guest

    I had already ordered the first season of Alfred Hitchcock presents when I
    read your review about the problems.

    I was worried, but I have watched the first three episodes without a hitch.

    This is weird.

    Jeffrey

    Jeffman316, Oct 13, 2005
  6. Film Buff

    Guest

    Checked all my mca dvds and four of them didn't work on any of my
    players or on the dvd drive of my computer.
    1-Dragonheart
    2-Apollo 13
    3-The Jackal
    4-Street fighter

    , Oct 14, 2005
  7. Film Buff

    anthony Guest

    My old first-release Wamo pressing of The Maltese Falcon is a deep
    golden colour -- much brighter gold than the muted gold of a dual-layer
    disc.
    However, it still plays just fine.
    Is the colour a sign that a problem is developing?

    anthony, Oct 14, 2005
  8. Film Buff

    Mac Guest

    My SE of VERTIGO is dead. PSYCHO is okay.
    --
    --Mac

    see dot mac at virgin dot net

    www.cinemaretro.com

    Mac, Oct 16, 2005
  9. Film Buff

    Mike S. Guest

    In article <>,
    One-Shot Scot <> wrote:
    >"Film Buff" <> wrote in message
    >> "One last note today... we've noticed a strange thing here at The
    >> Bits. In going back to a lot of our very early Universal DVD releases
    >> (released in 1997 and 1998), we've discovered that many of those discs
    >> have simply stopped working in our DVD players. We don't know if the
    >> discs' bonding layers have gone bad, or if they're simply not
    >> compatible with newer players, or what. Affected so far are our
    >> original copies of the special collector's editions of Apollo 13,
    >> Psycho, Vertigo and others. We recommend that you check the older
    >> Universal titles in your own collections for similar problems. Let us
    >> know if you're encountering this as well."

    >Has anyone encountered DVD rot yet? Some of us have, and the rest don't
    >believe that there is such a thing. Having this problem mentioned in the
    >Digital Bits adds validity to my experience.
    >
    >Oh great! More disk rot news from Universal. I think that _Apollo 13_ and
    >... what was that Jody Foster piece of crap? ... oh yeah, _Contact_, were
    >among the early Universal rotters.

    My copies of Contact and Apollo 13 play fine ... after reading this thread
    I went back and checked. My rotted copy of Devil's Advocate has been
    unplayable for several years now.

    Mike S., Oct 16, 2005