  1. I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
    can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black, Feb 22, 2005

  2. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    elaich Guest

    "Kirby \"Does it Hurt?\" Black" <> wrote in

    > www.drudgereport.com

    Mine blocks it there OK, but I do have popups appear on rare occasions. Who
    knows?

    elaich, Feb 22, 2005

  3. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    Neil Guest

    "Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black" <> wrote in message
    > I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    > last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
    > can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    No popup, Firefox 1.0
    Mine is fairly standard (no extensions that reference popups) not many
    changes to user files either, my user.js is as follows:

    // Reveal more tab/window options:
    user_pref("browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs", true);
    //
    /* Force New Windows Restrictions
    0: Default - Divert *all* new windows to current tab/window or new tab
    1: Don't divert *any* windows spawned by JS
    2: Don't divert JS windows that include size/placement/toolbar info */
    user_pref("browser.link.open_newwindow.restriction", 2);
    //
    // More DOM/JavaScript options
    // Make sure all pop-up windows are resizable:
    user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.resizable", true);
    // Make sure all pop-up windows are minimizable:
    user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.minimizable", true);
    // Always display the menu in pop-up windows:
    user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.menubar", true);
    // Always display the Navigation Toolbar in pop-up windows:
    user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.location", true);
    // Prevent sites from disabling scrollbars:
    user_pref("dom.disable_window_open_feature.scrollbars", true);
    //
    // Put an end to blinking text!
    user_pref("browser.blink_allowed", false);

    Check with the forums
    http://shorterlink.com/?73WU5F

    Neil, Feb 22, 2005
  4. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    Guest

    On Mon, 21 Feb 2005 18:14:21 -0600, "Kirby \"Does it Hurt?\" Black"
    <> wrote:

    |> I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    |> last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
    |> can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    Related?
    http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/21/0143223&tid=95

    Saw this one coming, not the ads but Firefox start to have some of the
    problems IE does.

    I just let the sheep switch over to Firefox and sit back with Opera and
    watch :))

    FWIW www.drudgereport.com is my homepage, I use a HOSTS file and get no
    ads, so no chance of getting a pop-up.

    --
    http://www.local6.com/news/4215837/detail.html

    , Feb 22, 2005
  5. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 01:18:22 GMT, wrote:

    |> Related?
    |> http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/02/21/0143223&tid=95

    P.S.

    I read the links from this page and found this, that you might find of
    interest.

    http://www.macfixit.com/
    I don't see the new pop-unders on the Drudge Report [Ed.- One of the
    sites implicated for increased pop-unders in our initial report] any
    more. The way these things work is that they're set to open an ad when
    you leave the site by clicking on a link. So I right-click on the link I
    want, copy the URL, and paste it in the address bar. It's a bit kludgey,
    but it works like a charm."

    But as I mention'd I don't have a problem with the site (Opera or HOSTS
    file?).

    --

    , Feb 22, 2005
  6. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    trout Guest

    Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:

    > I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    > last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
    > can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    Nothing here. I'm assuming it's Adblock. One 'must-have' extension.
    --
    "Adstream(s)? No thanks."

    trout, Feb 22, 2005
  7. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    elaich Guest

    wrote in news:4222885b.84860156
    @News.Individual.NET:

    > Saw this one coming, not the ads but Firefox start to have some of the
    > problems IE does.
    >
    > I just let the sheep switch over to Firefox and sit back with Opera and
    > watch :))

    I guarantee you it will be fixed quickly, which is one thing that IE and
    Opera users can NOT count on. This "sheep" knows a good thing when he sees
    it. I tried Opera more than once, and it's pure unadulterated crap. I'm
    glad it works for you.

    elaich, Feb 22, 2005
  8. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    Guest

    On 22 Feb 2005 16:04:11 GMT, elaich <> wrote:

    |> wrote in news:4222885b.84860156
    |> @News.Individual.NET:
    |>
    |> > Saw this one coming, not the ads but Firefox start to have some of the
    |> > problems IE does.
    |> >
    |> > I just let the sheep switch over to Firefox and sit back with Opera and
    |> > watch :))
    |>
    |> I guarantee you it will be fixed quickly, which is one thing that IE and
    |> Opera users can NOT count on.

    :) it doesn't affect Opera, if ad blocking is on.

    |> This "sheep" knows a good thing when he sees
    |> it. I tried Opera more than once, and it's pure unadulterated crap. I'm
    |> glad it works for you.

    I just ment the problems follow the crowd.

    Strange you see Opera as junk, unless your referring to it's e-mailer
    which I think sucks, but it sure scare'd Microsoft.

    , Feb 22, 2005
  9. "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:
    >
    >> I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    >> last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if
    >> anything
    >> can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    > Nothing here. I'm assuming it's Adblock. One 'must-have'
    > extension.
    > --
    > "Adstream(s)? No thanks."

    Wow, i'm gettin that right now! Thanks! I used to use something
    similar on IE, free, and it
    worked very well.

    Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black, Feb 22, 2005
  10. <> wrote in message
    > On 22 Feb 2005 16:04:11 GMT, elaich <> wrote:
    >
    > |> wrote in news:4222885b.84860156
    > |> @News.Individual.NET:

    > some of the

    > Opera and
    > |>
    > |> I guarantee you it will be fixed quickly, which is one thing
    > that IE and
    > |> Opera users can NOT count on.
    >
    > :) it doesn't affect Opera, if ad blocking is on.
    >
    > |> This "sheep" knows a good thing when he sees
    > |> it. I tried Opera more than once, and it's pure unadulterated
    > crap. I'm
    > |> glad it works for you.
    >
    > I just ment the problems follow the crowd.
    >
    > Strange you see Opera as junk, unless your referring to it's
    > e-mailer
    > which I think sucks, but it sure scare'd Microsoft.
    > http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum21/7952.htm
    >

    > --

    Thanks. I've used Opera a few times too, uninstalled it, reinstalled
    it. I've limited use with it, but it seems
    just too "busy" even looking at it, for me anyway.

    Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black, Feb 22, 2005
  11. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    Guest

    On Tue, 22 Feb 2005 13:45:16 -0600, "Kirby \"Does it Hurt?\" Black"
    <> wrote:

    |> Thanks. I've used Opera a few times too, uninstalled it, reinstalled
    |> it. I've limited use with it, but it seems
    |> just too "busy" even looking at it, for me anyway.

    I've use'd Opera for quite awhile now. When it first came out, it's most
    impressive feature was you could transfer it to a floppy disk and take
    it to your friends house :)

    --

    , Feb 22, 2005
  12. "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:
    >
    >> I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    >> last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if
    >> anything
    >> can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    > Nothing here. I'm assuming it's Adblock. One 'must-have'
    > extension.
    > --
    > "Adstream(s)? No thanks."

    hmmm, i'm still getting popups or popunders, whatever they are...only
    now they are blank windows.

    Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black, Feb 23, 2005
  13. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    trout Guest

    Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    >>> last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if
    >>> anything
    >>> can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    >> Nothing here. I'm assuming it's Adblock. One 'must-have'
    >> extension.
    >> --
    >> "Adstream(s)? No thanks."
    >>

    > hmmm, i'm still getting popups or popunders, whatever they are...only
    > now they are blank windows.

    One other thought. Do you use SpywareBlaster? It has an 'immunize'
    plug-in for Firefox, now; which is what could be blocking the
    originating sites of those pop-ins.
    "Also freeware."

    trout, Feb 24, 2005
  14. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    trout Guest

    Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:

    > "trout" <> wrote in message
    >> Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:
    >>
    >>> I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    >>> last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if
    >>> anything
    >>> can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    >> Nothing here. I'm assuming it's Adblock. One 'must-have'
    >> extension.
    >> --
    >> "Adstream(s)? No thanks."
    >>

    > Wow, i'm gettin that right now! Thanks! I used to use something
    > similar on IE, free, and it
    > worked very well.

    Also; peruse the full collection of Firefox plug-ins. I went by one
    a couple of times that has the sole purpose of preventing sites from
    'generating empty windows'.
    --
    "You'll have to look for exactly where."

    trout, Feb 24, 2005
  15. "trout" <> wrote in message
    > Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:
    >
    >> "trout" <> wrote in message

    >>> Nothing here. I'm assuming it's Adblock. One 'must-have'
    >>> extension.
    >>> --
    >>> "Adstream(s)? No thanks."
    >>>

    >> hmmm, i'm still getting popups or popunders, whatever they
    >> are...only
    >> now they are blank windows.

    > One other thought. Do you use SpywareBlaster? It has an
    > 'immunize'
    > plug-in for Firefox, now; which is what could be blocking the
    > originating sites of those pop-ins.
    > "Also freeware."

    Yes, I do, and its updated. Since I replied here last I uninstalled
    Firefox 1.0 and
    installed ver. 1.0.1 and I haven't seen any popunder since. Do you
    suppose that
    did it?

    Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black, Feb 27, 2005
  16. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    Old Gringo Guest

    Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:
    > I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    > last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
    > can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    using FireFox and Win98se I got the pop up behind the main window.
    It was a Flash Player pop up. I did a right click on the pop up and
    selected settings. There I said no and then clicked the advanced
    Tab. It took me to web based settings or at least it looked like
    that. There I clicked the never allow or something like that and
    then went back to your link after closing the browser and bingo no
    pop up. Now I shall try a few other sites where that hot dog is
    advertising mortgage rates and see what happens there. Good luck in
    your quest.

    --
    Old Gringo George
    Magic Weaver Of Life

    Old Gringo, Feb 27, 2005
  17. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    Old Gringo Guest

    Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:
    > I've used it since it was out, never had a popup at all until the
    > last couple of days. Try this page and let me know what if anything
    > can be done about it please, www.drudgereport.com

    PS: I left out a bunch of shit like on the web page scroll down to
    global security click to make settings. Figure you will be able to
    figure it all out once you get in the ball park. :)

    Old Gringo, Feb 27, 2005
  18. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    > Yes, I do, and its updated. Since I replied here last I uninstalled
    > Firefox 1.0 and
    > installed ver. 1.0.1 and I haven't seen any popunder since. Do you
    > suppose that
    > did it?

    No, becasue I still get the popunders.

    http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=224824&postdays=0
    &postorder=asc&postsperpage=15&start=0

    elaich, Feb 28, 2005
  19. "elaich" <> wrote in message
    > "Kirby \"Does it Hurt?\" Black" <> wrote in
    >
    >> Yes, I do, and its updated. Since I replied here last I
    >> uninstalled
    >> Firefox 1.0 and
    >> installed ver. 1.0.1 and I haven't seen any popunder since. Do
    >> you
    >> suppose that
    >> did it?

    > No, becasue I still get the popunders.
    >
    > http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=224824&postdays=0
    > &postorder=asc&postsperpage=15&start=0

    Yeah, I finally got one too.

    Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black, Mar 2, 2005
  20. Kirby \Does it Hurt?\ Black

    trout Guest

    Kirby "Does it Hurt?" Black wrote:

    > "elaich" <> wrote in message
    >> "Kirby \"Does it Hurt?\" Black" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Yes, I do, and its updated. Since I replied here last I
    >>> uninstalled
    >>> Firefox 1.0 and
    >>> installed ver. 1.0.1 and I haven't seen any popunder since. Do
    >>> you
    >>> suppose that
    >>> did it?

    >> No, becasue I still get the popunders.
    >>
    >> http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=224824&postdays=0
    >> &postorder=asc&postsperpage=15&start=0

    > Yeah, I finally got one too.

    Did you get Adblock? How do you use it? For the first while that I
    was using Firefox, I'd get Adblock to display a list of 'all blockable
    items' on that page. You can usually tell what things you don't want
    (with elements like 'ads' or adserver', etc), and use that element to
    create a rule. Use the wildcard (*) in the rule to keep it as general as
    possible after an element or a site that you want to block. Eg:
    http://ads.*
    http://fastclick.net*
    Use the configuration to remove (not hide) ads.
    --
    "Shouldn't take too long to get most crap blocked."

    trout, Mar 2, 2005