    Sometime they also contain various viruses.

    Thanks in advance
    Lisa

    Millbrook, Sep 2, 2004

  2. "Millbrook" <> wrote in message
    news:i7GZc.102$...
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
    > $40,000,000 into my bank.
    >
    > Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
    > these e-mails?
    > Sometime they also contain various viruses.

    For our corporate email filter, I create macros that block by phrases in the
    message body, that only pertain to the Nigerian Scam Letter. Too bad I
    can't create a macro that determines if the message body is more than 98%
    CAPS LOCK. ;-)

    --
    Richard S. Westmoreland
    http://www.antisource.com

    Richard S. Westmoreland, Sep 2, 2004

  3. Millbrook

    dono Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 14:29:34 GMT, "Millbrook" <>
    wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
    >$40,000,000 into my bank.
    >
    >Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
    >these e-mails?
    >Sometime they also contain various viruses.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Lisa

    #######################
    There are 2 possibilities that I can think of off the top of my head.
    One is to wrtie rulesets for a filter and the other is send an email
    to the owners of the server that the spammers are using as a relay. On
    occassion, I have been able to look at the headers to determine the IP
    of the server, then a whois to get the email of the admin. Once they
    are aware that their server is being used as a relay, they will close
    the hole. If it is one of their users, they will close the account.

    dono, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Millbrook

    klf Guest

    Hello,

    Have a bit of fun and make up a bank sort code and account number. They
    will get caught quicker.
    The Nigerian scams are the best, greedy/stupid people always get hit by
    them.

    "Millbrook" <> wrote in message
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
    > $40,000,000 into my bank.
    >
    > Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
    > these e-mails?
    > Sometime they also contain various viruses.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Lisa

    ---

    klf, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Millbrook

    Celtic Leroy Guest

    "Millbrook" <> wrote:

    >Hi Folks,
    >
    >I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
    >$40,000,000 into my bank.
    >
    >Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
    >these e-mails?
    >Sometime they also contain various viruses.
    >
    >Thanks in advance
    >Lisa

    Hi Lisa,

    The best way I've found is to subscribe to an ISP that will filter
    incoming SMTP messages with an "approved sender" list (e.g. an address
    book). I use Earthlink (Mindspring) Spaminator. If the sender is not
    in my address book, they will get a messages back from Earthlink
    saying that they need to request I add them to my list. Otherwise I
    will not see the message.

    Regards

    Celtic Leroy, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Millbrook

    Millbrook Guest

    Thanks for all your help guy's
    going to try a few programs, I do like klf reply...i may also try that.
    Regards
    lisa

    Millbrook, Sep 2, 2004
  7. Millbrook

    Chuck Guest

    On Thu, 02 Sep 2004 20:01:36 GMT, "Millbrook" <*email_address_deleted*> wrote:

    >Thanks for all your help guy's
    >going to try a few programs, I do like klf reply...i may also try that.
    >Regards
    >lisa
    >"Millbrook" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi Folks,
    >>
    >> I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
    >> $40,000,000 into my bank.
    >>
    >> Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
    >> these e-mails?
    >> Sometime they also contain various viruses.
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >> Lisa

    Lisa,

    Check out these web pages:
    <http://www.spamletters.com/letter.php?spamID=91&sortBy=da&start=0>
    <http://www.savannahsays.com/kizombe.htm>

    Cheers,
    Chuck

    Chuck, Sep 2, 2004
  8. Millbrook

    Mike Guest

    Millbrook wrote:

    > Thanks for all your help guy's
    > going to try a few programs, I do like klf reply...i may also try that.
    > Regards
    > lisa
    > "Millbrook" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi Folks,
    >>
    >>I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
    >>$40,000,000 into my bank.
    >>
    >>Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
    >>these e-mails?
    >>Sometime they also contain various viruses.
    >>
    >>Thanks in advance
    >>Lisa

    You probably won't to do that. Some of these scam artists are not to be
    messed with due to their links with organised crime etc.

    As you remain pretty clueless on how to use usenet and don't seem to
    have heard of anti-spam software, I doubt you could hide yourself well
    enough.

    Try www.spamassassin.org for anti-spam software or ask an expert.

    Mike, Sep 3, 2004
  9. Millbrook

    Netuser 58 Guest

    Millbrook wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    >
    > I recently get about 3 - 5 e-mails a day asking me if they can pay
    > $40,000,000 into my bank.
    >
    > Obviously I know it is a scam, but does anyone know of a way of stopping
    > these e-mails?
    > Sometime they also contain various viruses.
    >
    > Thanks in advance
    > Lisa

    Every computer user recieving email should know what "email headers"
    are. Many don't. Here is a site that explains them. This is the vital
    information necessary when reporting fraud mail, like what has happened
    since the summer of 2003. Once you learn this you will be able to send
    a complaint,with full headers included, to the ISP where the mail came
    from, ending the harrassment quickly. Using filters will not stop them
    from sending these emails.
    Bookmark this for future reference.

    http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html

    Netuser 58

    Netuser 58, Sep 3, 2004
  10. Millbrook

    johns Guest

    Email tech support at your ISP. Tell them that if they
    pass an email virus to your computer, and it does
    damage causing you to lose vital data, and the cost
    of restoring your system, that you will sue the pants
    off of them regardless of whether they think you can
    or not. What needs to happen is these ISPs need to
    be hauled befor a judge and jury, and let THEM
    decide when enough is enough. Have your lawyer
    detail to this jury just how simple it is for an ISP to
    filter all incoming email and remove the dangerous
    and destructive ones. When they hear that, I'm sure
    they will see that your ISP is simply and willfully
    exposing you to loss of your property and subjecting
    you to pain and suffering. When one of these ISPs
    loses his shirt in front of a judge and jury, this thing
    will stop. I'd like to see you get about $20 million
    out of their punk hides.

    johns

    johns, Sep 3, 2004
  11. Millbrook

    andy smart Guest

    andy smart, Sep 3, 2004
  12. Millbrook

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Fri, 03 Sep 2004 00:21:02 GMT, Netuser 58 <>
    wrote:

    >Every computer user recieving email should know what "email headers"
    >are. Many don't. Here is a site that explains them. This is the vital
    >information necessary when reporting fraud mail, like what has happened
    >since the summer of 2003. Once you learn this you will be able to send
    >a complaint,with full headers included, to the ISP where the mail came
    >from, ending the harrassment quickly. Using filters will not stop them
    >from sending these emails.
    >Bookmark this for future reference.
    >
    > http://www.stopspam.org/email/headers.html

    A lot of the 'nigerian' stuff seems to come from free email
    accounts, like yahoo and hotmail and regional variations
    of these - the lengthy form responses from these services
    to abuse complaints are often worse than the original
    spam. So taking the view that only lowlifes uses the
    services - I block the lot,

    Looking at the news, sometimes they get what they deserve;

    --Man Sentenced for Nigerian 419 Scam
    (5 April 2004)
    A Welsh court has sentenced Peter Okoeguale, a Nigerian man living in
    Ireland, to twenty months in prison for running a 419 scam.
    (419 is the section of the Nigerian penal code that relates to fraud.)
    Such scams involve using the false promise of a share of a fortune to
    trick people out of money and personal information. Okoeguale faces
    deportation once his sentence is complete.

    Heres some good advice

    "You may be wondering what you should do if you receive an advance fee
    fraud email? First of all, do not believe it. Second, do not respond
    to it. Third, delete it. If you feel like causing the scammer some
    difficulty, you can always forward the email onto the abuse department
    of the scammer’s internet service provider,"

    read all about it at

    http://www.scambuster419.co.uk

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 3, 2004
  13. Millbrook

    User One Guest

    You can download a client side spam filter such as Spambayes or Spamnet. I
    think Spambayes is still free. It works great but you have to check your
    suspected junk email folder it creates as sometimes it puts ham in there.
    Good luck,
    Jim

    User One, Sep 3, 2004
  14. Millbrook

    Botha Guest

    Hi Lisa, Ive had great success with a great lill freeware app by the name of
    K9 (http://keir.net)
    I was getting roughly 20 spam mails covering every subject imaginable until
    I trained this lill beuty, it took about 1 week to train correcty and for
    the last 4-5 months has not let one spam mail through and has not sent one
    good mail to my trash.

    Would suggest you mabey give it a try.

    Cheers n goodluck

    Sheldon

    Botha, Sep 4, 2004
  15. In article <ch95o8$1tm6$>, says...
    > Email tech support at your ISP. Tell them that if they
    > pass an email virus to your computer, and it does
    > damage causing you to lose vital data, and the cost
    > of restoring your system, that you will sue the pants
    > off of them regardless of whether they think you can
    > or not. What needs to happen is these ISPs need to
    > be hauled befor a judge and jury, and let THEM
    > decide when enough is enough. Have your lawyer
    > detail to this jury just how simple it is for an ISP to
    > filter all incoming email and remove the dangerous
    > and destructive ones. When they hear that, I'm sure
    > they will see that your ISP is simply and willfully
    > exposing you to loss of your property and subjecting
    > you to pain and suffering. When one of these ISPs
    > loses his shirt in front of a judge and jury, this thing
    > will stop. I'd like to see you get about $20 million
    > out of their punk hides.
    >
    > johns

    Yeah, and when they filter away one of those e-mails that actually
    didn't contain a virus, sue them again! I suppose you have an agreement
    with the Postal Services too to look into each letter before it's
    delivered to you.

    I think that good working abuse departments are the way to go.

    Filip

    Filip Van Laenen, Sep 6, 2004

    Or take a look at http://www.419eater.com/ :)

    --