    samg Guest

    Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of school
    kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even. ROFL

    samg, Jun 3, 2004

  2. samg

    TEX Guest

    LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    TEX, Jun 3, 2004

  3. samg

    Gurble Guest

    Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:59:18 +1200, TEX <> wrote:

    >samg wrote:
    >
    >> Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of school
    >> kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even. ROFL

    LOL

    LOAD "Nostalgia" ,8,1
    RUN

    Gurble, Jun 3, 2004
  4. samg

    Invisible Guest

    Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:39:59 +1200, Gurble <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:59:18 +1200, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    >>samg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of school
    >>> kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even. ROFL
    >>>

    >LOL
    >
    >LOAD "Nostalgia" ,8,1

    wait 30mins, then:
    >RUN

    ;-)

    Invisible, Jun 3, 2004
  5. samg

    Invisible Guest

    Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:06:24 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:39:59 +1200, Gurble <> wrote:

    >>LOL
    >>
    >>LOAD "Nostalgia" ,8,1

    >wait 30mins, then:
    >>RUN

    >;-)

    Oops, that was the cassettes, disks were a tad faster :)

    Invisible, Jun 3, 2004
  6. samg

    TEX Guest

    Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    Invisible wrote:

    > On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:39:59 +1200, Gurble <> wrote:

    >>LOL
    >>
    >>LOAD "Nostalgia" ,8,1

    > wait 30mins, then:
    >
    >>RUN

    > ;-)

    Yeah

    One for the games and another for the cleaning tapes you had to have :)
    So did everyone notice the intro to GTA vice city?? Nice likeness to the
    old commodore screen.

    TEX

    TEX, Jun 3, 2004
  7. samg

    Alden Bates Guest

    samg <> wrote:

    >Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of school
    >kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even. ROFL

    A gaming magazine my brother brought home had a competition in it to
    win a C=64, oddly enough. :)

    Alden
    --
    http://www.tetrap.com

    Alden Bates, Jun 3, 2004
  8. samg

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    Gurble <> wrote in

    > On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 21:59:18 +1200, TEX <> wrote:
    >
    >>samg wrote:
    >>
    >>> Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of
    >>> school kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors
    >>> even. ROFL
    >>>

    > LOL
    >
    > LOAD "Nostalgia" ,8,1
    > RUN

    sys 65738 or something like that

    I heard a few years back that C64's were in demand for signs. Some guy
    had a cartridge that would run the lamp arrays and you would just type in
    the text.
    I have also heard that there is a hacked up Network cartridge available
    and a tcp stack.
    It never dies...
    google when you are bored, it is unreal.
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Jun 3, 2004
  9. samg

    Andrew Guest

    Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    Invisible, when stopped by the local constabulary on 3/06/2004 11:07
    p.m., made the following statement:

    > On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 23:06:24 +1200, Invisible <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 03 Jun 2004 22:39:59 +1200, Gurble <> wrote:

    [snip]

    >>>LOAD "Nostalgia" ,8,1

    >>wait 30mins, then:
    >>
    >>>RUN

    >>;-)

    > Oops, that was the cassettes, disks were a tad faster :)

    Not C64 disks. Tapes were definitely faster. We used to laugh - oh we
    laughed. Poor little Commodore boys.

    :p

    --
    Andrew
    http://www.evil.geek.nz/

    Andrew, Jun 3, 2004
  10. samg

    Craig Sutton Guest

    Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > Gurble <> wrote in

    > > LOL
    > >
    > > LOAD "Nostalgia" ,8,1
    > > RUN

    > sys 65738 or something like that
    >
    > I heard a few years back that C64's were in demand for signs. Some guy
    > had a cartridge that would run the lamp arrays and you would just type in
    > the text.
    > I have also heard that there is a hacked up Network cartridge available
    > and a tcp stack.
    > It never dies...
    > google when you are bored, it is unreal.
    > Ciao, Dave

    I remember when the C64 went for over $1000 one of the local imported one
    from Japan....yeah he ended up with the Jap C64...different keyboard charset
    and heaps of problems running any software

    Craig Sutton, Jun 3, 2004
  11. Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > I have also heard that there is a hacked up Network cartridge
    > available and a tcp stack.

    You can get a cartridge that allows you to connect IDE cd-rom drives and
    hard drives, and run games from them (Apparently 100 times faster).

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock

    Nicholas Sherlock, Jun 3, 2004
  12. Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    TEX wrote:
    >> Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of
    >> school kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even.
    >> ROFL

    yeah, saw that and thought, they have to be using old footage... surely.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://www.dave.net.nz

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Jun 3, 2004
  13. samg

    Disco Stu Guest

    Re: LOAD "The good old days" ,8,1

    Andrew wrote:

    > Not C64 disks. Tapes were definitely faster. We used to laugh - oh we
    > laughed. Poor little Commodore boys.
    >
    > :p

    No.

    My 1541D drive was gobs faster than the tape deck. Where on earth did
    you get this idea from?

    Disk loading could be made even faster when combined with with "The
    Expert" rocket load. Only 8 seconds to load "Beach Head", vs 21mins on
    tape.

    Disco Stu, Jun 3, 2004
  14. samg

    Mr Bond Guest

    On 3 Jun 2004 21:00:58 +1200, samg <> wrote:

    >Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of school
    >kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even. ROFL

    I saw them as well. Insane. I hope it was 'file footage' rather than
    something they went out and filmed for the story.

    Notwithstanding that some of us would have learnt the trade on 64's, I
    would imagine the learning curve between the 64 and XP would be
    reasonably steep.

    Mr Bond, Jun 3, 2004
  15. samg

    Disco Stu Guest

    Mr Bond wrote:
    > On 3 Jun 2004 21:00:58 +1200, samg <> wrote:
    >

    >>Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of school
    >>kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even. ROFL

    > I saw them as well. Insane. I hope it was 'file footage' rather than
    > something they went out and filmed for the story.

    I wondered that too. But the kids were wearing reasonably modern
    clothes. No neon sweatshirts, leg warmers or Kamakazi headbands in sight.

    Disco Stu, Jun 3, 2004
  16. samg

    Route Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:57:04 +1200, Mr Bond wrote:

    > Notwithstanding that some of us would have learnt the trade on 64's

    Not me. I couldn't afford a Commodore 64. I had to settle for an Amstrad
    with a green screen and most of the games were direct ports of crappy ZX
    Spectrum games :-(

    And if someone could afford an Amiga 500, you were always at their house.

    --
    ....check out the nametag.. you're in MY world now grandma...

    Route, Jun 3, 2004
  17. samg

    AD. Guest

    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 08:57:04 +1200, Mr Bond wrote:

    > Notwithstanding that some of us would have learnt the trade on 64's, I
    > would imagine the learning curve between the 64 and XP would be reasonably
    > steep.

    Yeah, when I moved from a Spectrum to an Amiga 500 it look me a little
    while to fully grok what an operating system was and how the AmigaDOS CLI
    differed from a BASIC interpreter :)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jun 4, 2004
  18. samg

    carl Guest

    samg <> wrote in message news:<Xns94FDD5BDD4A43samg@203.97.37.6>...
    > Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of school
    > kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even. ROFL

    speaking of which somebody came to me the other day with a computer
    they had picked up in a garage sale for $20 and asked if it could go
    on the internet.
    it was a commodore c4 in perfect condition and still in the box.
    reminds me of buying my first vic20

    carl, Jun 4, 2004
  19. samg

    allsorts Guest

    > >Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of school
    > >kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even. ROFL

    I was going to ask the same thing, I thought the only people that would
    still be using c64's would be enthusiasts.
    These kids will at least appreciate the power of a modern computer more and
    the won't need any internet supervision using a c64 and they won't even have
    to use any microsoft software.
    Could they be using the c64's as some sort of dumb terminal in which case
    they maybe doing a lot more than a c64 would usually be capable of, I am
    very vague on this area of computing(client/server etc...), use to know a
    little years ago but have forgotten so maybe what I say makes no sense.

    allsorts, Jun 4, 2004
  20. samg

    David Guest

    On Fri, 4 Jun 2004 11:17:06 +1200, "allsorts" <kazuga@guitar> wrote:

    >> >Tv3 news article tonight about the woosh tenders showed a bunch of school
    >> >kids using commodore 64s, with monochrome green monitors even. ROFL

    >I was going to ask the same thing, I thought the only people that would
    >still be using c64's would be enthusiasts.
    >These kids will at least appreciate the power of a modern computer more and
    >the won't need any internet supervision using a c64 and they won't even have
    >to use any microsoft software.
    >Could they be using the c64's as some sort of dumb terminal in which case
    >they maybe doing a lot more than a c64 would usually be capable of, I am
    >very vague on this area of computing(client/server etc...), use to know a
    >little years ago but have forgotten so maybe what I say makes no sense.

    I have the worlds biggest collection of c64 hardware in south taranaki
    and good working disks, now i just use VICE emulator for playing games
    and using geos my amiga 1200 with 40meg hard drive goes good to
    i even use UAE and amiga explorer for file swapping..
    nothing wrong with old computers.

    David

    David, Jun 4, 2004