Anyone else purchased from "Uncle Wade's"?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by MS, Jul 27, 2003.

  1. MS

    MS Guest

    Just over a week ago, in reading this newsgroup, in a thread I wrote about
    the availability of the Pentax Optio S, another reader wrote that he had
    just ordered one from an outfit on the Internet called "Uncle Wade's"
    (www.unclewades.com) , that they had them in stock, and that that was the
    lowest price he had seen on this camera.

    I had had one on backorder for weeks from another retailer, and didn't know
    when they would be coming. I looked at the "Uncle Wade's" site, and it was
    the lowest price I had ever seen for that camera as well ($324.95). Still
    cheaper if one used an American Express card, with a special promotion they
    had with Amex, $10 off that price plus "free shipping". (The normal
    "shipping" charge was around $25, absurd for such a small camera.) The web
    site said they had them in stock. So, I ordered one, and canceled my order
    with the other retailer.

    Well, I got an e-mail confirming the order, and said I would receive a
    tracking number within 24 hours. Now, over a week later, I still haven't
    received the tracking number. I do see that my credit card was charged,
    however.

    I called customer service every day this past week, Monday through Friday
    (long wait each time). The rep didn't have the tracking number, but said the
    item had shipped (although she couldn't tell me when it was shipped), and
    said I would receive the tracking number and shipping info in an e-mail by
    6:30 PM EDT that day. I never received such an e-mail, so I'd call back
    again the next day to follow-up.

    Friday, after speaking to a regular customer service rep, she connected me
    with someone in the "tracking department". That person said she would
    research the issue. I waited a while, she came back to the phone, told me
    she found the tracking number, but when she tried to track with it, she got
    a response "invalid tracking number". She said she would research further
    into it, and call me back within a half hour. I never heard back. When I
    tried to call back later, they were closed.

    Interesting too--when you call customer service, and hear all the recorded
    messages, you never hear the name "Uncle Wade's". When a rep answers the
    phone, they also don't say that. On the recording, there is some message
    about if you have a return, go to www.digicamreturns.com. You go to that
    site, and also no mention about "Uncle Wade's". I wonder if there really is
    a store by that name.

    In correspondence with the writer here who first mentioned the site, he did
    receive his Optio S from them. But it turns out he was sent a "grey market"
    model, no US warranty, the manual only in Japanese. The web site says
    absolutely nothing about that, that any of their products might not carry a
    US warranty, etc.

    So, of course when I called customer service, I asked about that. The rep
    seemed surprised, and said something like "none of our products are grey
    market", all have US warranties and manuals".

    Anyone else (besides writer who originally mentioned the site, and myself)
    had experiences with this outfit? Comments?

    MS, Jul 27, 2003

  2. MS

    MS Guest

    I wonder if I can cancel the order. But they say they already shipped it,
    although I have my doubts about that. They will say that after I receive it,
    to go through the process on that website for returns. It will probably take
    months, if ever, to get a refund.

    I'm really getting fed up though. If I don't get a tracking number tomorrow,
    I am going to try to cancel.

    MS, Jul 28, 2003