    Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
    Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..

    DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

    Mutley, Nov 11, 2004

  2. Mutley

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:18:53 +1300, Mutley
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    >I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
    >news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
    >Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
    >Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
    >
    >DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

    I'm not sure it's an Orcon problem. Xtra has been reeealll slow today,
    which implies the problem lies firmly at the feet of telescum - oh
    there's a surprise, lol.

    /Begin Sig
    Vs lbh pna ernq guvf......
    Lbh haqrefgnaq gur onfvpf :)
    Ohg, lbh unir sne gbb zhpu serr gvzr
    /End Sig

    Ryan Jacobs, Nov 11, 2004

  3. "Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:18:53 +1300, Mutley
    > <> provided this moment of wisdom:
    >
    >>I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
    >>news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
    >>Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
    >>Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
    >>
    >>DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

    > I'm not sure it's an Orcon problem. Xtra has been reeealll slow today,
    > which implies the problem lies firmly at the feet of telescum - oh
    > there's a surprise, lol.

    > /Begin Sig
    > Vs lbh pna ernq guvf......
    > Lbh haqrefgnaq gur onfvpf :)
    > Ohg, lbh unir sne gbb zhpu serr gvzr
    > /End Sig

    I had no problem on xtra jetstream today.

    Jed Meisterdude, Nov 11, 2004
  4. Mutley

    Mutlley Guest

    "Jed Meisterdude" <> wrote:

    >"Ryan Jacobs" <> wrote in message
    >> On Thu, 11 Nov 2004 21:18:53 +1300, Mutley
    >> <> provided this moment of wisdom:
    >>
    >>>I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
    >>>news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
    >>>Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
    >>>Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
    >>>
    >>>DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

    >> I'm not sure it's an Orcon problem. Xtra has been reeealll slow today,
    >> which implies the problem lies firmly at the feet of telescum - oh
    >> there's a surprise, lol.
    >>
    >> --
    >> /Begin Sig
    >> Vs lbh pna ernq guvf......
    >> Lbh haqrefgnaq gur onfvpf :)
    >> Ohg, lbh unir sne gbb zhpu serr gvzr
    >> /End Sig

    >I had no problem on xtra jetstream today.

    This morning it seems back to 32KB solid. Last nite it was like the
    bad old days of Jetstart before Telecom upgraded the DSLAMs.. Spikey

    Mutlley, Nov 11, 2004
  5. Mutley

    DoggNZ Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
    >news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
    >Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
    >Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
    >
    >DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period.

    I changed over yesterday and now people uploading from me are getting
    5Kbps when they were getting 15Kbps. Speedtest shows I'm still (in
    theory) 256K\128K so hopefully it gets ironed out.

    --
    BOINC SETI

    DoggNZ, Nov 11, 2004
  6. Mutley

    Starkey Guest

    <> wrote:

    >I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
    >news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
    >Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
    >Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
    >
    >DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

    nope my dloads are fine just playing online games its all gone to
    custard really high pings

    Starkey, Nov 12, 2004
  7. Starkey wrote:
    > nope my dloads are fine just playing online games its all gone to
    > custard really high pings

    ~30ms higer than you had already?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 12, 2004
  8. Mutley

    Starkey Guest

    On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:23:38 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >Starkey wrote:
    >> nope my dloads are fine just playing online games its all gone to
    >> custard really high pings

    >~30ms higer than you had already?

    on battlenet atm i was at 187ms but it jumps to 2000ms and even 4000ms
    in bits i asked around and its not the server

    Starkey, Nov 12, 2004
  9. Mutley

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    Mutley wrote:
    > I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
    > news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
    > Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
    > Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
    >
    > DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

    Well since I was changed over I noticed that last night speeds were
    good, the router shows upload speed is 160 kbps download is 320 kbps.
    Pings to Orcon's mail server were around 60ms, to the west coast of USA
    270ms.

    Then around midnight it all turned to custard and appears to remain that
    way this morning.

    Ping time to Orcon mail server is now around 622ms, to the west coast of
    USA around 862ms. Speed is calculated at 45.8 kbps according to
    http://www.bandwidthplace.com - I selected "New Zealand" as the
    "region". Don't know anything about this website, it was at the top of
    the google search results.

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 12, 2004
  10. Mutley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Starkey wrote:
    > On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:23:38 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Starkey wrote:
    >>> nope my dloads are fine just playing online games its all gone to
    >>> custard really high pings

    >> ~30ms higer than you had already?

    > on battlenet atm i was at 187ms but it jumps to 2000ms and even 4000ms
    > in bits i asked around and its not the server

    Same here. The game is unplayable. I've spoken to Orcon and they got me to
    do some pings and tracert's and send them to their technical dudes and I
    hope to hell they fix it soon or I'm going back to dial up. On dial up two
    of us sharing the connection could play with pings around 200. This morning
    with UBS the ping averaged 1,500ms and got significantly worse in places.
    Try pinging Battlenet's servers, IPs are 63.241.83.xx(x). On UBS all I can
    get is timeouts. That's when it's over 1,000ms right?

    An Orcon rep told me yesterday that there is a whisper that Telecom is
    deliberately nerfing the latency. She'd been answering calls all day from
    irate gamers.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 13, 2004
  11. Mutley

    ChrisOD Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > Mutley wrote:
    >
    >> I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
    >> news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
    >> Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
    >> Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
    >>
    >> DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

    > Well since I was changed over I noticed that last night speeds were
    > good, the router shows upload speed is 160 kbps download is 320 kbps.
    > Pings to Orcon's mail server were around 60ms, to the west coast of USA
    > 270ms.
    >
    > Then around midnight it all turned to custard and appears to remain that
    > way this morning.
    >
    > Ping time to Orcon mail server is now around 622ms, to the west coast of
    > USA around 862ms. Speed is calculated at 45.8 kbps according to
    > http://www.bandwidthplace.com - I selected "New Zealand" as the
    > "region". Don't know anything about this website, it was at the top of
    > the google search results.

    Hmm not that impressed with that as I just tried it and only gor 125kB/s
    Where as I can easily get in excess of 2MB/s and Ijust have from
    overseas sites.

    As with all bandwidth testing services there are many possible choke
    points, and I don't think this one is good to test for Orcon.

    ChrisOD, Nov 13, 2004
  12. Mutley

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ChrisOD wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >> Mutley wrote:
    >>
    >>> I just came back from Oz today and turned the PC on to download my
    >>> news headers. I can barely get jetstart speed out of it today.
    >>> Fluctuates between 10KB and 24KB but never any higher. Was fine last
    >>> Saturday when I last used it. Reset the router no difference..
    >>>
    >>> DU Meter shows an average of 18KB over a 3 minute period..

    >> Well since I was changed over I noticed that last night speeds were
    >> good, the router shows upload speed is 160 kbps download is 320 kbps.
    >> Pings to Orcon's mail server were around 60ms, to the west coast of
    >> USA 270ms.
    >>
    >> Then around midnight it all turned to custard and appears to remain
    >> that way this morning.
    >>
    >> Ping time to Orcon mail server is now around 622ms, to the west coast
    >> of USA around 862ms. Speed is calculated at 45.8 kbps according to
    >> http://www.bandwidthplace.com - I selected "New Zealand" as the
    >> "region". Don't know anything about this website, it was at the top
    >> of the google search results.
    >>

    > Hmm not that impressed with that as I just tried it and only gor 125kB/s
    > Where as I can easily get in excess of 2MB/s and Ijust have from
    > overseas sites.
    >
    > As with all bandwidth testing services there are many possible choke
    > points, and I don't think this one is good to test for Orcon.

    I found this one http://www.shell.net.nz/speedtest/ while I was poking
    around and the person on the help desk seemed to think it was a good
    choice. But the 3 I tried all came back with basically the same answer
    so I took that as a rough average

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 13, 2004
  13. Mutley

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Starkey wrote:
    >
    >>On Fri, 12 Nov 2004 15:23:38 +1300, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    >><> wrote:

    >>>~30ms higer than you had already?

    >>on battlenet atm i was at 187ms but it jumps to 2000ms and even 4000ms
    >>in bits i asked around and its not the server

    > Same here. The game is unplayable. I've spoken to Orcon and they got me to
    > do some pings and tracert's and send them to their technical dudes and I
    > hope to hell they fix it soon or I'm going back to dial up. On dial up two
    > of us sharing the connection could play with pings around 200. This morning
    > with UBS the ping averaged 1,500ms and got significantly worse in places.
    > Try pinging Battlenet's servers, IPs are 63.241.83.xx(x). On UBS all I can
    > get is timeouts. That's when it's over 1,000ms right?
    >
    > An Orcon rep told me yesterday that there is a whisper that Telecom is
    > deliberately nerfing the latency. She'd been answering calls all day from
    > irate gamers.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    what's the address of the server ? I'd be interested in trying it on my UBS

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 13, 2004
  14. Starkey wrote:
    >>>nope my dloads are fine just playing online games its all gone to
    >>>custard really high pings

    >>~30ms higer than you had already?

    > on battlenet atm i was at 187ms but it jumps to 2000ms and even 4000ms
    > in bits i asked around and its not the server

    ouch... tried a tracert to a few places to see if it narrows it down to
    where the problem is?

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Nov 14, 2004
  15. Mutley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> Starkey wrote:

    >>> on battlenet atm i was at 187ms but it jumps to 2000ms and even
    >>> 4000ms in bits i asked around and its not the server

    >> Same here. The game is unplayable. I've spoken to Orcon and they got
    >> me to do some pings and tracert's and send them to their technical
    >> dudes and I hope to hell they fix it soon or I'm going back to dial
    >> up. On dial up two of us sharing the connection could play with
    >> pings around 200. This morning with UBS the ping averaged 1,500ms
    >> and got significantly worse in places. Try pinging Battlenet's
    >> servers, IPs are 63.241.83.xx(x). On UBS all I can get is timeouts.
    >> That's when it's over 1,000ms right?
    >>
    >> An Orcon rep told me yesterday that there is a whisper that Telecom
    >> is deliberately nerfing the latency. She'd been answering calls all
    >> day from irate gamers.
    >> --
    >> ~misfit~
    >>

    > what's the address of the server ? I'd be interested in trying it on
    > my UBS

    There are actually 255 servers that make up Battle.Net US West (so I'm
    told). As above, the IPs are 63.241.83.xxx. The one I was playing on and
    pinged was 63.241.83.66, I created another game afterwards and trhe IP of
    that one was 63.241.83.72. The game is created seemingly randomly on any one
    of their servers, maybe the one with least traffic at the time? I pinged the
    second one too and got four time-outs.

    However the latency seems to have improved in the last day or so. It's still
    more than double pre-UBS/dial up levels however (or was last night, haven't
    checked today... yet)

    Just tried pinging the xxx.66 one again, total loss.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Nov 14, 2004
  16. Mutley

    Chris Mayhew Guest

    ~misfit~ wrote:
    > Chris Mayhew wrote:
    >
    >>~misfit~ wrote:

    >>>Same here. The game is unplayable. I've spoken to Orcon and they got
    >>>me to do some pings and tracert's and send them to their technical
    >>>dudes and I hope to hell they fix it soon or I'm going back to dial
    >>>up. On dial up two of us sharing the connection could play with
    >>>pings around 200. This morning with UBS the ping averaged 1,500ms
    >>>and got significantly worse in places. Try pinging Battlenet's
    >>>servers, IPs are 63.241.83.xx(x). On UBS all I can get is timeouts.
    >>>That's when it's over 1,000ms right?
    >>>
    >>>An Orcon rep told me yesterday that there is a whisper that Telecom
    >>>is deliberately nerfing the latency. She'd been answering calls all
    >>>day from irate gamers.
    >>>--
    >>>~misfit~
    >>>

    >>what's the address of the server ? I'd be interested in trying it on
    >>my UBS

    > There are actually 255 servers that make up Battle.Net US West (so I'm
    > told). As above, the IPs are 63.241.83.xxx. The one I was playing on and
    > pinged was 63.241.83.66, I created another game afterwards and trhe IP of
    > that one was 63.241.83.72. The game is created seemingly randomly on any one
    > of their servers, maybe the one with least traffic at the time? I pinged the
    > second one too and got four time-outs.
    >
    > However the latency seems to have improved in the last day or so. It's still
    > more than double pre-UBS/dial up levels however (or was last night, haven't
    > checked today... yet)
    >
    > Just tried pinging the xxx.66 one again, total loss.
    > --
    > ~misfit~

    Can you tell I don't know anything about on line gaming ? 256 servers,
    flippin heck, there must be a lota people doing it !

    I have found that getting into and out of Orcon is now quicker than it
    was before it all turned to custurd on Friday night. Currently it is
    now 60ms. I note that the largest increase in latency occurs getting
    out of NZ Gate but I could never get to the IP's you listed. There is
    now no packet loss either. Orcon seem to be on top of it, now.

    I did try www.battle.net and got 215ms but at the node before
    www.battle.net 216.148.209.14 which appears to be the entry point to
    their network CERF net CERFNET BLK-4

    Chris Mayhew, Nov 15, 2004
  17. Mutley

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Chris Mayhew wrote:

    > Can you tell I don't know anything about on line gaming ? 256
    > servers, flippin heck, there must be a lota people doing it !

    There are indeed. You'd be surprised. I know I certainly was when I first
    started playing on Battle.net. Plus Blizzard run server farms in four places
    internationally, US West, US east, Europe and Asia, with two seperate server
    farms on the Asia 'realm'. I think they all have 256 servers each. There are
    many thousands of people world-wide playing Blizzard games. Diablo, Diablo
    2, Warcraft (1, 2 and 3, plus Frozen Throne and the new "World of Warcraft")
    and Starcraft are all still popular and supported on Battle.net.

    Interestingly, if you install a Blizzard game in NZ the Battle.net server
    location defaults to Asia. However the ping-times to Asia are double those
    to US West. Luckilly you can change the 'realm' you wish to play on.

    > I have found that getting into and out of Orcon is now quicker than it
    > was before it all turned to custurd on Friday night. Currently it is
    > now 60ms. I note that the largest increase in latency occurs getting
    > out of NZ Gate but I could never get to the IP's you listed. There is
    > now no packet loss either. Orcon seem to be on top of it, now.

    I don't know about on top of it but certainly a big improvement. My game is
    playable now, however the ping-times are still nearly double what they were
    on jetstart or dial-up and I still have to be careful. I had a couple of
    unnecessary latency-related deaths tonight. Really frustrating.

    > I did try www.battle.net and got 215ms but at the node before
    > www.battle.net 216.148.209.14 which appears to be the entry point to
    > their network CERF net CERFNET BLK-4

    Ok, thanks for checking it out.