Anyone else having probs sending pop3 email via Xtra?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Aug 19, 2007.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    filter). But cannot send via pop3. I am asked for my password when I
    try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable. Checked all my
    settings and they're just fine ...

    So ... checked Xtra's online status report and it says there are no
    problems.

    Then tried calling the 0800 helpline and after waiting for around a
    half and hour and being disconnected six times finally got through to
    a friendly but ineffectual woman who tells me that YES, Xtra is
    experiencing some major problems "migrating" email to Yahoo.

    Why that isn't posted on Xtra's website is beyond her understanding.
    In fact, it appears she doesn't even know about the so-called online
    status report.

    She tells me that the problems are due to Xtra making improvements to
    the email system. Improvements? I had to laugh.

    BTW - she also told me these email problems may continue until
    tomorrow, but to please call again if they are. Could it be my system
    or my attitude at fault here? Not unless I'm a sheep ...

    Donchano, Aug 19, 2007

  2. Donchano

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:59:41 +1200, in message <>,
    Donchano wrote:

    > Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    > filter).

    See thread "Is Xtra's spam filter broken?"

    > But cannot send via pop3.

    POP3 is for receiving email, not for sending it. You should be sending via smtp.

    > I am asked for my password when I
    > try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    > telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable.

    Do you actually see "pop3" in the error message when you try to *send* email?

    > Checked all my
    > settings and they're just fine ...

    Your "outbound email server" setting for sending email should be smtp.xtra.co.nz

    If your "outbound email server" setting for *sending* email is pop3.xtra.co.nz,
    then that is the reason why you are not able to send email.
    If that is the case, then your settings are *not* fine.

    http://xtra.co.nz/help/0,,4132-560998,00.html#e

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Aug 19, 2007

  3. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 06:44:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 14:59:41 +1200, in message <>,
    >Donchano wrote:
    >
    >> Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    >> filter).

    >See thread "Is Xtra's spam filter broken?"
    >
    >> But cannot send via pop3.

    >POP3 is for receiving email, not for sending it. You should be sending via smtp.

    My mistake (I'm hung over in spades).

    >> I am asked for my password when I
    >> try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    >> telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable.

    >Do you actually see "pop3" in the error message when you try to *send* email?

    No ... I see an SMTP error message that reads:

    Sending of message failed.
    The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server
    smtp.xtra.co.nz failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing
    SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is
    correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

    >> Checked all my
    >> settings and they're just fine ...

    >Your "outbound email server" setting for sending email should be smtp.xtra.co.nz

    It is ... and has been for the past ten years or so. It's using port
    25.

    >If your "outbound email server" setting for *sending* email is pop3.xtra.co.nz,
    >then that is the reason why you are not able to send email.
    >If that is the case, then your settings are *not* fine.

    My hangover is not fine, but my settings are.

    Besides, I was told by the Xtra helpdesk that other customers were
    having the same problem. But for some strange Xtra-ish type reason,
    they aren't fessing up to in on their status report. Thanks, b

    Donchano, Aug 19, 2007
  4. Donchano wrote:
    > No ... I see an SMTP error message that reads:
    >
    > Sending of message failed.
    > The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server
    > smtp.xtra.co.nz failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing
    > SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is
    > correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

    I can't trace a route to smtp.xtra.co.nz :

    Mark Robinson, Aug 19, 2007
  5. Donchano

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 19:03:47 +1200, in message <>,
    Donchano wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 06:44:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <>
    > magnanimously proffered:
    >
    > >Do you actually see "pop3" in the error message when you try to *send* email?

    > No ... I see an SMTP error message that reads:
    >
    > Sending of message failed.
    > The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server
    > smtp.xtra.co.nz failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing
    > SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is
    > correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

    Odd. I have sent several emails via smtp.xtra.co.nz,
    many (but not all) to Xtra's spamreport address
    (because, as you have said, more spam is getting through).

    I have not seen this error.

    > >Your "outbound email server" setting for sending email should be smtp.xtra.co.nz

    > It is ... and has been for the past ten years or so. It's using port
    > 25.

    --snip--

    > Besides, I was told by the Xtra helpdesk that other customers were
    > having the same problem. But for some strange Xtra-ish type reason,
    > they aren't fessing up to in on their status report. Thanks, b

    They hardly ever 'fess up to errors. :-(

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Aug 19, 2007
  6. In message <>, Donchano wrote:

    > On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 06:44:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <>
    > magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>Do you actually see "pop3" in the error message when you try to *send*
    >>email?

    > No ... I see an SMTP error message that reads:
    >
    > Sending of message failed.
    > The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server
    > smtp.xtra.co.nz failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing
    > SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is
    > correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

    That's not really an SMTP error message, that's pablum from your MUA. It
    would be helpful to see the actual SMTP transcript. Any chance your MUA can
    report that?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Aug 19, 2007
  7. Donchano

    J.Wilson Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    > Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    > filter). But cannot send via pop3. I am asked for my password when I
    > try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    > telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable. Checked all my
    > settings and they're just fine ...
    >
    > So ... checked Xtra's online status report and it says there are no
    > problems.
    >
    > Then tried calling the 0800 helpline and after waiting for around a
    > half and hour and being disconnected six times finally got through to
    > a friendly but ineffectual woman who tells me that YES, Xtra is
    > experiencing some major problems "migrating" email to Yahoo.
    >
    > Why that isn't posted on Xtra's website is beyond her understanding.
    > In fact, it appears she doesn't even know about the so-called online
    > status report.
    >
    > She tells me that the problems are due to Xtra making improvements to
    > the email system. Improvements? I had to laugh.
    >
    > BTW - she also told me these email problems may continue until
    > tomorrow, but to please call again if they are. Could it be my system
    > or my attitude at fault here? Not unless I'm a sheep ...

    Might it have something to do with Xtra making some kind of
    deal with Yahoo? Since they emailed me something about this
    a few days ago I have been getting twice as much spam as usual.

    J.Wilson, Aug 19, 2007
  8. Donchano

    Ralph Fox Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 20:29:56 +1200, in message <fa8uti$n6c$>,
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > In message <>, Donchano wrote:
    >
    > > I see an SMTP error message that reads:
    > >
    > > Sending of message failed.
    > > The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server
    > > smtp.xtra.co.nz failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing
    > > SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is
    > > correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

    > That's not really an SMTP error message, that's pablum from your MUA. It
    > would be helpful to see the actual SMTP transcript. Any chance your MUA can
    > report that?

    The actual SMTP transcript begins once the MUA has opened a TCP/IP
    connection to the MTA.

    Here the MUA has been unable to open the connection, so the actual
    SMTP transcript will be empty.

    Perhaps you missed this detail, or perhaps you are using the phrase
    "actual SMTP transcript" to mean something other than an actual SMTP
    transcript.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph

    Ralph Fox, Aug 19, 2007
  9. Donchano

    Tony Guest

    > I can't trace a route to smtp.xtra.co.nz :
    >
    >> traceroute to smtp.xtra.co.nz (210.54.141.2), 30 hops max, 40 byte
    >> packets
    >> 1 kawakawa.zl2tod.net (10.0.7.3) 0.386 ms 0.369 ms 0.425 ms
    >> 2 203-97-171-1.cable.telstraclear.net (203.97.171.1) 13.477 ms
    >> 17.952 ms 25.553 ms
    >> 3 ae0-840.ie4.telstraclear.net (203.167.223.114) 21.336 ms 21.762
    >> ms 21.776 ms
    >> 4 ge-1-2-0-842.ie2.telstraclear.net (218.101.61.109) 30.251 ms
    >> 30.300 ms 30.271 ms
    >> 5 g1-0-927.u11.tspn.telstraclear.net (218.101.61.6) 33.267 ms
    >> 35.581 ms 37.710 ms
    >> 6 ggis-gige-v906.telstraclear.net (203.98.18.67) 32.053 ms 32.072
    >> ms 32.141 ms
    >> 7 g0-1-0-4.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz (210.55.202.49) 32.168 ms
    >> 22.193 ms 23.761 ms
    >> 8 xtra-mta-dom.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz (203.96.65.198) 24.551
    >> ms 26.004 ms 26.005 ms
    >> 9 * * *

    You are tracing there fine, that hop 9 is the firewall where your trace
    will naturally be stopped.

    Tony, Aug 19, 2007
  10. Donchano

    SimonB Guest

    Donchano wrote:
    > Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    > filter). But cannot send via pop3. I am asked for my password when I
    > try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    > telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable. Checked all my
    > settings and they're just fine ...

    I had that same problem on one of my family's computers yesterday, and
    resolved it by changing the SMTP send settings to no longer "Use name
    and password" (in Thunderbird). Would have been nice if Xtra had
    mentioned something ...

    Simon B

    SimonB, Aug 19, 2007
  11. Donchano

    none Guest

    Ralph Fox wrote:
    > Here the MUA has been unable to open the connection, so the actual
    > SMTP transcript will be empty.

    He's waiting for the OP to say "Outlook Express" so he can rant on about
    Dimdows and how much better life would be if the customer was using Pine
    or Telnet for mail.

    none, Aug 19, 2007
  12. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:06:12 +1200, SimonB <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    >> filter). But cannot send via pop3. I am asked for my password when I
    >> try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    >> telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable. Checked all my
    >> settings and they're just fine ...

    >I had that same problem on one of my family's computers yesterday, and
    >resolved it by changing the SMTP send settings to no longer "Use name
    >and password" (in Thunderbird). Would have been nice if Xtra had
    >mentioned something ...

    I'm using Thunderbird v2.0.0.6 and have gone into both my server
    settings and SMTP settings but can't find any setting option for this
    so I can try it. Where did you make the changes? Thanks, b

    Donchano, Aug 19, 2007
  13. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 10:40:51 +1200, Donchano
    <> magnanimously proffered:

    >On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:06:12 +1200, SimonB <>
    >magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>Donchano wrote:
    >>> Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    >>> filter). But cannot send via pop3. I am asked for my password when I
    >>> try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    >>> telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable. Checked all my
    >>> settings and they're just fine ...

    >>I had that same problem on one of my family's computers yesterday, and
    >>resolved it by changing the SMTP send settings to no longer "Use name
    >>and password" (in Thunderbird). Would have been nice if Xtra had
    >>mentioned something ...

    >I'm using Thunderbird v2.0.0.6 and have gone into both my server
    >settings and SMTP settings but can't find any setting option for this
    >so I can try it. Where did you make the changes? Thanks, b

    Never mind. I finally found it although it's well hidden in
    Thunderbird under Outgoing Server Settings/edit. And for some strange
    reason, Thunderbird had reset my original settings to ask for
    authentication (eg: username and password).

    Speaking of strange ... strange this happened the very day Xtra
    started migrating its email to Yahoo's server. But stranger things can
    happened and software can be and obviously is unpredictable.

    Thanks for your help.

    And Ralph ... you were right in the first place. Damnit!

    Donchano, Aug 20, 2007
  14. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 07:17:32 +0000, Ralph Fox <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >> Besides, I was told by the Xtra helpdesk that other customers were
    >> having the same problem. But for some strange Xtra-ish type reason,
    >> they aren't fessing up to in on their status report. Thanks, b

    >They hardly ever 'fess up to errors. :-(
    >

    >--
    >Cheers,
    >Ralph

    Speaking of which ... I have to 'fess up to having not thoroughly
    checking my settings. Otherwise, I would have found that Thunderbird
    (on its own and independent of me) had to change the SMTP settings to
    ask for authentication (username and password). All fixed now.

    Donchano, Aug 20, 2007
  15. Donchano

    Bugalugs Guest

    SimonB wrote:
    > Donchano wrote:
    >> Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    >> filter). But cannot send via pop3. I am asked for my password when I
    >> try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    >> telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable. Checked all my
    >> settings and they're just fine ...

    > I had that same problem on one of my family's computers yesterday, and
    > resolved it by changing the SMTP send settings to no longer "Use name
    > and password" (in Thunderbird). Would have been nice if Xtra had
    > mentioned something ...
    >
    > Simon B

    Found it and it works....but what are the implications of not using "Use
    name and password" ?

    I've spent hours since Saturday, listening to xtra music and talking to
    "Indians" and each one assured me it was related to their upgrade (?)
    and would be cured by 'tomorrow' morning.

    Bugalugs, Aug 22, 2007
  16. Bugalugs wrote:
    > SimonB wrote:
    >> Donchano wrote:
    >>> Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    >>> filter). But cannot send via pop3. I am asked for my password when I
    >>> try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    >>> telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable. Checked all my
    >>> settings and they're just fine ...

    >> I had that same problem on one of my family's computers yesterday, and
    >> resolved it by changing the SMTP send settings to no longer "Use name
    >> and password" (in Thunderbird). Would have been nice if Xtra had
    >> mentioned something ...

    > Found it and it works....but what are the implications of not using "Use
    > name and password" ?

    Disabling the login means that all mail from computers on Xtra's network is
    accepted by the bauble mail servers.

    This makes it easier for infected machines to get their spam out.

    Mark Robinson, Aug 22, 2007
  17. Donchano

    Bugalugs Guest

    Mark Robinson wrote:
    > Bugalugs wrote:
    >> SimonB wrote:
    >>> I had that same problem on one of my family's computers yesterday,
    >>> and resolved it by changing the SMTP send settings to no longer "Use
    >>> name and password" (in Thunderbird). Would have been nice if Xtra
    >>> had mentioned something ...

    >> Found it and it works....but what are the implications of not using
    >> "Use name and password" ?

    > Disabling the login means that all mail from computers on Xtra's network
    > is accepted by the bauble mail servers.
    >
    > This makes it easier for infected machines to get their spam out.

    From what I can see xtra have not yet fixed the problem wich allows the
    sending of mail and before I wind them up again am I able to edit/check
    my password manager and where do I find it.

    I'm using Thunderbird and have not signed up for this bubble thing. I am
    still able to get my mail and would expect that that same program would
    use the same user ID and password to receive as well as to send mail.

    Just want to make sure there is no problem my end before I tackle
    them.......again.

    Thanks

    Bugalugs, Aug 23, 2007
  18. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Mon, 20 Aug 2007 08:06:12 +1200, SimonB <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >Donchano wrote:
    >> Can receive email (including lots of spam still being missed by Xtra's
    >> filter). But cannot send via pop3. I am asked for my password when I
    >> try to send and, after entering my password, get an error message
    >> telling me that Xtra's pop3 server is unavailable. Checked all my
    >> settings and they're just fine ...

    >I had that same problem on one of my family's computers yesterday, and
    >resolved it by changing the SMTP send settings to no longer "Use name
    >and password" (in Thunderbird). Would have been nice if Xtra had
    >mentioned something ...

    I have now spoken to three other people who have encountered the exact
    same problem as I did with Thunderbird & Xtra.

    Could this be some sort of wild coincidence? Or could it be that
    something strange occurred during Xtra's so-called "improvement" to
    its email service - aka migration to Yahoo???

    If the latter, then something occurred during the migration that
    changed our settings without our knowledge or permission. Me thinks
    that Xtra has fucked-up big time this time.

    Donchano, Aug 23, 2007
  19. Donchano

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2007-08-19, Mark Robinson <2tod.net> wrote:

    > I can't trace a route to smtp.xtra.co.nz :

    try tcptraceroute, standard UDP traceroutes often stop at the firewall.

    the ping times below are inflated by other traffic.

    $ tcptraceroute smtp.xtra.co.nz smtp
    Selected device ppp1, address 203.152.126.123, port 49212 for outgoing packets
    Tracing the path to smtp.xtra.co.nz (210.54.141.2) on TCP port 25 (smtp), 30 hops max
    1 lns01-ppp.network.compass.net.nz (203.152.96.59) 824.945 ms 1607.441 ms 1823.744 ms
    2 domesticedge7200-ibgp.network.compass.net.nz (203.152.101.130) 2443.842 ms * *
    3 * domesticedge7200-bcl-them.network.compass.net.nz (203.152.101.6) 1036.069 ms 2635.552 ms
    4 124.157.95.2 1839.690 ms 2523.731 ms 2039.882 ms
    5 vlan-2777.aksw7.global-gateway.net.nz (202.50.235.61) 1475.325 ms 1783.325 ms 1879.619 ms
    6 g0-1-0-4.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz (210.55.202.49) 1315.746 ms 1647.566 ms 1691.769 ms
    7 xtra-mta-dom.akcr8.global-gateway.net.nz (203.96.65.198) 1655.718 ms 371.744 ms 399.670 ms
    8 202.50.231.52 327.981 ms 299.715 ms 195.869 ms
    9 * * *
    10 * * *
    11 * * *
    12 smtp.xtra.co.nz (210.54.141.2) [open] 235.923 ms 167.858 ms 271.371 ms

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Sep 10, 2007
  20. Donchano

    Jasen Betts Guest

    On 2007-08-19, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <>, Donchano wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 19 Aug 2007 06:44:42 +0000, Ralph Fox <>
    >> magnanimously proffered:
    >>
    >>>Do you actually see "pop3" in the error message when you try to *send*
    >>>email?

    >> No ... I see an SMTP error message that reads:
    >>
    >> Sending of message failed.
    >> The message could not be sent because connecting to SMTP server
    >> smtp.xtra.co.nz failed. The server may be unavailable or is refusing
    >> SMTP connections. Please verify that your SMTP server setting is
    >> correct and try again, or else contact your network administrator.

    > That's not really an SMTP error message, that's pablum from your MUA. It
    > would be helpful to see the actual SMTP transcript. Any chance your MUA can
    > report that?

    it sounds like he's geitting "connection refused" when he tries to
    connect to the smtp port. there's nothing to give a transcript of.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    Jasen Betts, Sep 10, 2007