Anyone else have a bizarre personal Netflix story to tell?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by hobnoblin@hotmail.com, Feb 21, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I just have to tell this to someone. It's been a few weeks now, but I
    just can't get over this. If you're sick of people bitching about
    Netflix, or you're one of those ironic people who like to respond to a
    bitchy post by bitching about that person bitching, please don't read
    any further.

    I rent a lot from Netflix. How much? Well, let's just say that the
    first 15 movies in my queue are recent releases that I won't get until
    I'm dead. ...perhaps longer. I hope my great, great grandchildren
    enjoy "Madagascar".

    Anyway, when I first started renting from Netflix, I always tried to
    watch my movies immediately and send them back the very next day.
    Especially the new releases. I did this for three reasons: First of
    all, I wanted to see as many movies as possible and get my money's
    worth (naturally). Second, I didn't want to hog up all the new
    releases by keeping them forever, as many selfish clods do. Third, I
    stupidly assumed that Netflix kept track of people who rapidly returned
    new releases, and gave them preferential treatment in return for
    keeping things moving.

    Anyway, enough generalized bitching. We all know the deceitful little
    tricks they use to slow down our queues. What I'd like to focus on now
    is the truly weird netflix stories. Things that seem conspicuous as
    all hell. Personal Netflix stories that make absolutely no
    sense....unless you're dealing with an unscrupulous corporation that
    doesn't mind cheating its customers to maximize profits.

    MY WEIRD NETFLIX STORY:

    Many months ago, I learned that Warner Bros. was preparing to release
    "Superman the Animated Series, Season 2". I immediately went to
    Netflix to put it on my quere, only to find that there wasn't a page
    for it yet. Week after week, I kept checking back, but nothing ever
    appeared except the page for "Season 1". The release date came and
    went. Still nothing.
    Finally, out of frustration, I sent Netflix an e-mail asking if they
    intended to carry the DVD. I wrote my e-mail late at night, when I do
    most of my web surfing.
    .......The next morning, no more than 9 hours after I'd sent my e-mail,
    I was elated to find that there was a page dedicated to "Superman the
    Animated Series, Season 2". A wave of warmth passed through me as I
    had "happy bunny" thoughts about Netflix's quick response to my
    inquiry. HOWEVER, when I put the DVD on my queue, it said VERY LONG
    WAIT!!!
    WTF?!?! How, without any "saved" page dedicated to the DVD, and
    without ANY notification that they now carried the DVD, did so damn
    many people suddenly become aware that Netflix had it? And why, after
    several months, does my queue STILL say that it has a "very long wait"?
    I smell a rat. Did Netflix go shopping for the disk in the middle of
    the night? Did every Superman fan with a Netflix account suddenly
    awake at 3:00am so they could see if Netflix got the disk yet? Does
    Netflix even HAVE the damn thing? --?!?!?!?!

    I long for another "DVD rental by mail" company with Netflix's
    selection. One that doesn't pull the same B.S. as Netflix. One that
    doesn't constantly say "shipping tomorrow". One that doesn't
    periodically get the "rated" version of a film instead of the "unrated"
    version. One that doesn't send you DVDs from the other side of the
    country, and then wastes even MORE of your time making you send it BACK
    there!!

    .....And did anyone else notice that Netflix never sends a courtesty
    E-mail asking if a LATE movie arrived? I only get those e-mails
    whenever they manage to send a DVD earlier than usual. Hmmm. Someone
    more cynical than me might conclude that they have more control over
    shipping than they want to admit.

    I'm done. Anyone else have a story?
    , Feb 21, 2006

  2. Guest

    I get courtesy emails when movies arrive late.

    I had nothing but trouble with Blockbuster, including receiving movies
    7 days after they were supposed to be mailed.

    I don't like that netflix throttles users, but I haven't had as good
    service from any other system and still get movies turned around in one
    day.

    Don
    , Feb 21, 2006

  3. Jeff Rife Guest

    () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Finally, out of frustration, I sent Netflix an e-mail asking if they
    > intended to carry the DVD. I wrote my e-mail late at night, when I do
    > most of my web surfing.
    > ......The next morning, no more than 9 hours after I'd sent my e-mail,
    > I was elated to find that there was a page dedicated to "Superman the
    > Animated Series, Season 2". A wave of warmth passed through me as I
    > had "happy bunny" thoughts about Netflix's quick response to my
    > inquiry. HOWEVER, when I put the DVD on my queue, it said VERY LONG
    > WAIT!!!
    > WTF?!?! How, without any "saved" page dedicated to the DVD, and
    > without ANY notification that they now carried the DVD, did so damn
    > many people suddenly become aware that Netflix had it?

    Or, it could just be that the release of that set slipped by the Netflix
    team, and you alerted them to it. They created a database entry for the
    set before they had any copies anywhere in stock (exactly like what would
    happen if you had placed it in your queue 3 months before the release
    date).

    Thus, since there were no copies in any Netflix warehouse, and no projected
    return dates for any copies "VERY LONG WAIT" was how they described the
    situation.

    Tell us, how long did you actually wait for the first disk from that set?
    I'll bet it was just about as long as it took Netflix to buy some copies
    of the set, plus mailing time.

    --
    Jeff Rife | Sam: Hey, how's life treating you there, Norm?

    Jeff Rife, Feb 21, 2006
  4. Jeff Rife wrote:

    >>......The next morning, no more than 9 hours after I'd sent my e-mail,
    >>I was elated to find that there was a page dedicated to "Superman the
    >>Animated Series, Season 2". A wave of warmth passed through me as I
    >>had "happy bunny" thoughts about Netflix's quick response to my
    >>inquiry. HOWEVER, when I put the DVD on my queue, it said VERY LONG
    >>WAIT!!!

    > Or, it could just be that the release of that set slipped by the Netflix
    > team, and you alerted them to it. They created a database entry for the
    > set before they had any copies anywhere in stock (exactly like what would
    > happen if you had placed it in your queue 3 months before the release
    > date).
    >
    > Thus, since there were no copies in any Netflix warehouse, and no projected
    > return dates for any copies "VERY LONG WAIT" was how they described the
    > situation.

    AAMoF, "Very Long Wait" is now pretty much ONLY used to denote
    out-of-print or acquisition-pending copies--
    The tactful version of "We ain't got one/yet."

    While, with the new surplus of regional centers, anything that *does*
    have a long wait has been downgraded to simply "Long Wait", while they
    try to find an outside center to import the title from...IF they feel
    your queue merits the effort when an otherwise available title's at #2.

    Derek Janssen (who just saw one of his longtime VLW's downgraded to
    "Short Wait")
    Derek Janssen, Feb 21, 2006
  5. Guest

    wrote:
    > I just have to tell this to someone. It's been a few weeks now, but I
    > just can't get over this. If you're sick of people bitching about
    > Netflix, or you're one of those ironic people who like to respond to a
    > bitchy post by bitching about that person bitching, please don't read
    > any further.
    >
    > I rent a lot from Netflix. How much? Well, let's just say that the
    > first 15 movies in my queue are recent releases that I won't get until
    > I'm dead. ...perhaps longer. I hope my great, great grandchildren
    > enjoy "Madagascar".

    You know if your that desperate to see Madagascar why not try your
    local public library?

    I take my Grandkid down to this reading program (they run out of the
    childrens section) once a week and I found out to my delight that they
    have tons of DVD titles in the library, and the best part is that they
    are all for free!

    And I am not talking about crappy titles either, as not only have I
    already seen Madagascar (weeks ago) as of right this second I am
    literally watching "The Island" and I have as well to watch four other
    titles I checked out (up to 6 titles for up to 2 weeks at a time at
    this particular library)this week such as the movies"Dark Water"
    "Finding Nemo" "Lilo & Stitch-2" and a "Herbie" movie (GOD I hate
    Herbie,frankly at this point I hope that in the next movie they make
    Herbie will simply go to Hell)!

> [...]
    > awake at 3:00am so they could see if Netflix got the disk yet? Does
    > Netflix even HAVE the damn thing? --?!?!?!?!
    >

    > I long for another "DVD rental by mail" company with Netflix's
    > selection. One that doesn't pull the same B.S. as Netflix. One that
    > doesn't constantly say "shipping tomorrow". One that doesn't
    > periodically get the "rated" version of a film instead of the "unrated"
    > version. One that doesn't send you DVDs from the other side of the
    > country, and then wastes even MORE of your time making you send it BACK
    > there!!
    >
    > ....And did anyone else notice that Netflix never sends a courtesty
    > E-mail asking if a LATE movie arrived? I only get those e-mails
    > whenever they manage to send a DVD earlier than usual. Hmmm. Someone
    > more cynical than me might conclude that they have more control over

  6. Guest

    wrote:
> [...]

    > awake at 3:00am so they could see if Netflix got the disk yet? Does
    > Netflix even HAVE the damn thing? --?!?!?!?!
    >

    > I long for another "DVD rental by mail" company with Netflix's
    > selection. One that doesn't pull the same B.S. as Netflix. One that
    > doesn't constantly say "shipping tomorrow". One that doesn't
    > periodically get the "rated" version of a film instead of the "unrated"
    > version. One that doesn't send you DVDs from the other side of the
    > country, and then wastes even MORE of your time making you send it BACK
    > there!!
    >
    > ....And did anyone else notice that Netflix never sends a courtesty
    > E-mail asking if a LATE movie arrived? I only get those e-mails
    > whenever they manage to send a DVD earlier than usual. Hmmm. Someone
    > more cynical than me might conclude that they have more control over

    , Feb 22, 2006
  7. Guest

    I don't currently belong to Netflix, because I think it's silly to pay
    for the service between November and January when the mail is so
    screwed up and nobody is paying a lick of attention to their jobs
    because of illness and holiday distractions. That being said, I'm
    considering rejoining. I don't consider myself a heavy user. 12-13
    discs a month is about all I'm capable of watching. Still, I felt I
    was subject to some throttling before I quit last fall, especially in
    the area of new releases.

    I watch mostly TV series with a smattering of movies mixed in.
    Something that happened several times, and infuriates me, is they would
    ship two discs of the same TV series on the same day. There were only
    ever two outcomes to this. 1) Both would arrive the same day. 2) The
    latter disc would arrive first, and the earlier disk in the series
    would arrive the next day if I was lucky, 2 days if I wasn't. Try
    watching "24" out of sequence, or most other shows that have any kind
    of story arc whatsoever. The 2nd scenario happened to me several
    times. I never got the earlier disc first. Never, ever. A very
    subtle form of throttling if you ask me. Everytime I proffer this
    theory a bunch of people jump on the "it's the post offices fault" or
    they "came from different distribution centers" despite having the same
    return address on both discs.

    Netflix has admitted they throttle, and with computer controlled
    distribution (which the post office also uses) they probably have a
    fair amount of control over shipping and arrival times.

    -beaumon
    , Feb 22, 2006
  8. kaydigi Guest

    <> wrote in message

    Snip

    It means that they do not have it at all.
    kaydigi, Feb 22, 2006
  9. Guest

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > Finally, out of frustration, I sent Netflix an e-mail asking if they
    > > intended to carry the DVD. I wrote my e-mail late at night, when I do
    > > most of my web surfing.
    > > ......The next morning, no more than 9 hours after I'd sent my e-mail,
    > > I was elated to find that there was a page dedicated to "Superman the
    > > Animated Series, Season 2". A wave of warmth passed through me as I
    > > had "happy bunny" thoughts about Netflix's quick response to my
    > > inquiry. HOWEVER, when I put the DVD on my queue, it said VERY LONG
    > > WAIT!!!
    > > WTF?!?! How, without any "saved" page dedicated to the DVD, and
    > > without ANY notification that they now carried the DVD, did so damn
    > > many people suddenly become aware that Netflix had it?

    > Or, it could just be that the release of that set slipped by the Netflix
    > team, and you alerted them to it. They created a database entry for the
    > set before they had any copies anywhere in stock (exactly like what would
    > happen if you had placed it in your queue 3 months before the release
    > date).
    >
    > Thus, since there were no copies in any Netflix warehouse, and no projected
    > return dates for any copies "VERY LONG WAIT" was how they described the
    > situation.
    >
    > Tell us, how long did you actually wait for the first disk from that set?
    > I'll bet it was just about as long as it took Netflix to buy some copies
    > of the set, plus mailing time.

    Sorry Jeff, but you'd lose that bet.

    The disks were released by Warner Bros. on 12-6-05. My letter to
    Netflix would've been written shortly thereafter, but I don't have an
    exact date. I'd guess that it was between 12-10 to 12-15.

    Jeff, I never GOT any of the dvds. After all this time, they're still
    sitting near the top of my queue. All of them STILL say "Very Long
    Wait". Nothing has changed.

    If you're really interested in my situation, I encourage you to put
    "Superman the Animated Series, Volume 2" on YOUR queue, just to see
    what it tells you. Please let me know. Does it say "Very long wait"?
    If so, are you a frequent or infrequent renter?

    Thanks in advance,

    Chuck

    > --
    > Jeff Rife | Sam: Hey, how's life treating you there, Norm?
    > |
    > | Norm: Beats me...then it kicks me and leaves me
    > | for dead.
    , Feb 22, 2006
  10. Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > Jeff Rife wrote:
    >
    > >>......The next morning, no more than 9 hours after I'd sent my e-mail,
    > >>I was elated to find that there was a page dedicated to "Superman the
    > >>Animated Series, Season 2". A wave of warmth passed through me as I
    > >>had "happy bunny" thoughts about Netflix's quick response to my
    > >>inquiry. HOWEVER, when I put the DVD on my queue, it said VERY LONG
    > >>WAIT!!!

    > > Or, it could just be that the release of that set slipped by the Netflix
    > > team, and you alerted them to it. They created a database entry for the
    > > set before they had any copies anywhere in stock (exactly like what would
    > > happen if you had placed it in your queue 3 months before the release
    > > date).
    > >
    > > Thus, since there were no copies in any Netflix warehouse, and no projected
    > > return dates for any copies "VERY LONG WAIT" was how they described the
    > > situation.

    > AAMoF, "Very Long Wait" is now pretty much ONLY used to denote
    > out-of-print or acquisition-pending copies--
    > The tactful version of "We ain't got one/yet."

    I don't think so. According to my queue, the following movies are said
    to have a "very long wait". All of them were released just this week.
    "Ultimate Avengers", "Aliens Gone Wild", "Ant: America's Ready", and
    "Lie With Me".

    Wait a second. I went back to check on the status of Superman vol.2,
    and now it says "unavailable". What the hell is the matter with those
    people?!?!?

    I'm starting to have serious thoughts about cancelling my subscription.

    > While, with the new surplus of regional centers, anything that *does*
    > have a long wait has been downgraded to simply "Long Wait", while they
    > try to find an outside center to import the title from...IF they feel
    > your queue merits the effort when an otherwise available title's at #2.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (who just saw one of his longtime VLW's downgraded to
    > "Short Wait")

    , Feb 22, 2006
  11. wrote:
    > Derek Janssen wrote:

    >>>Or, it could just be that the release of that set slipped by the Netflix
    >>>team, and you alerted them to it. They created a database entry for the
    >>>set before they had any copies anywhere in stock (exactly like what would
    >>>happen if you had placed it in your queue 3 months before the release
    >>>date).
    >>>
    >>>Thus, since there were no copies in any Netflix warehouse, and no projected
    >>>return dates for any copies "VERY LONG WAIT" was how they described the
    >>>situation.

    >>AAMoF, "Very Long Wait" is now pretty much ONLY used to denote
    >>out-of-print or acquisition-pending copies--
    >>The tactful version of "We ain't got one/yet."

    > I don't think so. According to my queue, the following movies are said
    > to have a "very long wait". All of them were released just this week.

    (The day you posted this, not to put too fine a point on it.)

    > "Ultimate Avengers", "Aliens Gone Wild", "Ant: America's Ready", and
    > "Lie With Me".

    ....The disk companies must be throttling them till Wednesday. :)

    > Wait a second. I went back to check on the status of Superman vol.2,
    > and now it says "unavailable". What the hell is the matter with those
    > people?!?!?

    Well, looks like they looked up the availability on that copy...

    Derek Janssen (I believe the operative phrase is "Does THAT answer your
    question?")
    Derek Janssen, Feb 22, 2006
  12. Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:
    > wrote:
    > > Derek Janssen wrote:

    > >>AAMoF, "Very Long Wait" is now pretty much ONLY used to denote
    > >>out-of-print or acquisition-pending copies--
    > >>The tactful version of "We ain't got one/yet."

    > > I don't think so. According to my queue, the following movies are said
    > > to have a "very long wait". All of them were released just this week.

    > (The day you posted this, not to put too fine a point on it.)

    ??? Why is this important? What are you "put(ting) too fine a point
    on"?

    > > "Ultimate Avengers", "Aliens Gone Wild", "Ant: America's Ready", and
    > > "Lie With Me".

    > ...The disk companies must be throttling them till Wednesday. :)

    Are you being sarcastic, or are you just making a joke? I can't tell.

    > > Wait a second. I went back to check on the status of Superman vol.2,
    > > and now it says "unavailable". What the hell is the matter with those
    > > people?!?!?

    > Well, looks like they looked up the availability on that copy...

    Obviously. I kind of guessed that part myself. What I'd like to know
    is if they EVER had it.

    > Derek Janssen (I believe the operative phrase is "Does THAT answer your
    > question?")

    Uh...no, actually. Every bit of your last response baffled the hell
    out of me. I'm not even sure if you were insulting my tendency to
    write some words in CAPS. Y'see, I like to add a little inflection to
    my posts.
    , Feb 22, 2006
  13. Jeff Rife Guest

    () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > Jeff, I never GOT any of the dvds. After all this time, they're still
    > sitting near the top of my queue. All of them STILL say "Very Long
    > Wait". Nothing has changed.

    Then, it appears that Netflix doesn't seem to have any interest in
    acquiring this set for rental.

    Sorry, you'll just have to go somewhere else to get it.

    --
    Jeff Rife |
    Jeff Rife, Feb 22, 2006
  14. Guest

    Jeff Rife wrote:
    > () wrote in alt.video.dvd:
    > > Jeff, I never GOT any of the dvds. After all this time, they're still
    > > sitting near the top of my queue. All of them STILL say "Very Long
    > > Wait". Nothing has changed.

    > Then, it appears that Netflix doesn't seem to have any interest in
    > acquiring this set for rental.
    >
    > Sorry, you'll just have to go somewhere else to get it.

    Yup, it looks that way. A little while ago, I checked on Superman TAS
    vol. 2 and discovered that Netflix now claims it's "unavailable". I
    immediately went to my queue and started deleting anything I could live
    without. After I rent the few remaining items, I'm out of Netflix for
    good. I suppose Netflix is still a good value, in spite of their
    dishonest practices, but I just can't stand being manipulated and
    deceived.

    > --
    > Jeff Rife |
    > | http://www.nabs.net/Cartoons/ShermansLagoon/OtherWhiteMeat.jpg

    I liked the cartoon. Thanks for the link.
    , Feb 22, 2006
  15. wrote:

    >>>I don't think so. According to my queue, the following movies are said
    >>>to have a "very long wait". All of them were released just this week.

    >>(The day you posted this, not to put too fine a point on it.)

    > ??? Why is this important? What are you "put(ting) too fine a point
    > on"?

    Because...now, follow me on this...given a day or two to print labels,
    sort stocks, update data, etc....NOT ALL TITLES ARE AVAILABLE AT 7 AM ON
    THE DAY THEY HIT SHELVES!!

    Major movies might arrive at their centers early and be ready for street
    date; smaller movies (with fewer customers "reserve" top-queueing them
    ahead of time) might arrive at the office on Tuesday and need till
    Wednesday or Thursday to be incorporated into rental stock--
    Put a 48-hour grace-period moratorium on all conspiracy theories if this
    week's movie happens to be showing a "Short Wait" the day it opens.

    >>>"Ultimate Avengers", "Aliens Gone Wild", "Ant: America's Ready", and
    >>>"Lie With Me".

    >>...The disk companies must be throttling them till Wednesday. :)

    > Are you being sarcastic, or are you just making a joke? I can't tell.

    (You CAN'T?...No, really, didn't you ask any bystanders?)

    > Uh...no, actually. Every bit of your last response baffled the hell
    > out of me. I'm not even sure if you were insulting my tendency to
    > write some words in CAPS. Y'see, I like to add a little inflection to
    > my posts.

    (No, unfortunately, *I* also got hooked on Written Anger for effect.)

    Derek Janssen (and it warped me for life)
    Derek Janssen, Feb 22, 2006
  16. Bob Guest

    On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 17:46:15 -0500, Derek Janssen
    <> wrote:

    >"Very Long Wait" is now pretty much ONLY used to denote
    >out-of-print or acquisition-pending copies--
    >The tactful version of "We ain't got one/yet."

    My tactful reply is "Let me know when you get it in, and then I will
    resubscribe." I waited 3 months for one release and it never came. I
    called and asked them to get it and it never came. So I unsubscribed
    for a month and when I resubscribed, it came.

    Why spend $20 for DVDs that don't exist?

    In Hillary Clinton's new book "Living History," Hillary details what
    it was like meeting Bill Clinton, falling in love with him, getting
    married, and living a passionate, wonderful life as husband and wife.
    Then on page two, the trouble starts.
    Bob, Feb 22, 2006
  17. Guest

    wrote:

    > If you're really interested in my situation, I encourage you to put
    > "Superman the Animated Series, Volume 2" on YOUR queue, just to see
    > what it tells you. Please let me know. Does it say "Very long wait"?
    > If so, are you a frequent or infrequent renter?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Chuck

    I looked for "Superman the Animated Series, Volume 2" on Netflix, and
    it doesn't even show up. All I see is "Superman the Animated Series:
    Vol. 1 (3-Disc Series) (1966)". I think it's because they have very few
    copies left and you at least are lucky enough to have it in your queue.

    Studios publish movies in certain quantities. When those are sold, they
    have to re-publish. Perhaps they didn't anticipate demand and failed to
    print enough the first time around.
    , Feb 22, 2006
  18. wunnuy Guest

    wrote:

    > Yup, it looks that way. A little while ago, I checked on Superman TAS
    > vol. 2 and discovered that Netflix now claims it's "unavailable". I
    > immediately went to my queue and started deleting anything I could live
    > without. After I rent the few remaining items, I'm out of Netflix for
    > good. I suppose Netflix is still a good value, in spite of their
    > dishonest practices, but I just can't stand being manipulated and
    > deceived.

    Netflix absolutely deceives people. Unfortunetely, it's the lesser of
    two evils. Blockbuster is actually a far worse service than Netflix. If
    you want the movies, you'll have to stick with Netflix until another
    rich disgruntled customer finally says enough is enough and starts up a
    third major company whose motto is "we won't throttle you." I believe
    with the bad press these two companies get, it's bound to happen.
    wunnuy, Feb 22, 2006
  19. <> wrote in message

    <<What I'd like to focus on now is the truly weird netflix stories.>>

    How about this one:

    A Netflix copy of _Rent_ arrived in the mail yesterday, Tuesday, 2-21-06.

    I didn't even know that _Rent_ was being released on February 21, 2006 until
    I saw it featured in a Best Buy ad from the Sunday paper.

    I didn't add this title to my Netflix queue until Sunday afternoon.

    Monday was President's Day -- a post office holiday.

    My Netflix queue says that _Rent_ shipped on Monday:

    Movie Title Rating Genre Shipped Est. Arrival
    Rent PG-13 Drama 02/20/06 02/22/06
    One-Shot Scot, Feb 22, 2006
  20. Goro Guest

    wrote:
    *snip*
    > You know if your that desperate to see Madagascar why not try your
    > local public library?
    >
    > I take my Grandkid down to this reading program (they run out of the
    > childrens section) once a week and I found out to my delight that they
    > have tons of DVD titles in the library, and the best part is that they
    > are all for free!
    >
    > And I am not talking about crappy titles either, as not only have I
    > already seen Madagascar (weeks ago) as of right this second I am
    > literally watching "The Island" and I have as well to watch four other

    "not crappy" and then "The Island"???!! LOL. Dude, THE ISLAND defines
    crappy :)

    -goro-
    Goro, Feb 22, 2006