Anyone else getting hammered with port scans tonight?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Southern Kiwi, Apr 29, 2004.

  1. Southern Kiwi, Apr 29, 2004

  2. 152.....

    Southern Kiwi, Apr 29, 2004

  3. 294....

    Southern Kiwi, Apr 29, 2004
  4. 500 in 1 hour 46 minutes...... I'm outta here!

    Southern Kiwi, Apr 29, 2004
  5. Southern Kiwi

    John B Guest

    128 in the past 45 minutes.
    --
    John B

    John B, Apr 29, 2004
  6. Southern Kiwi

    splat Guest

    > 500 in 1 hour 46 minutes...... I'm outta here!
    >
    > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > 294....
    > >

    > > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > > > 152.....
    > > >

    > > > "Southern Kiwi" <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote in

    message

    More info would be helpful :)

    is it on a single port? are u on a static ip address? etc........
    splat, Apr 29, 2004
  7. Southern Kiwi

    Jason M Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 19:24:34 +1200, "Southern Kiwi"
    <southern_kiwi@*spamsucks*hotmail.com> wrote:

    >Over 100 in under 7mins at the mo.......

    For the last month or so I've had thousands per day, mostly cycling
    around ports 2745 3127 1025 6129 80. A Google on those numbers will
    show a hundred discussions about those.
    Jason M, Apr 29, 2004
  8. Southern Kiwi

    EMB Guest

    In news:,
    splat <> expelled:
    > More info would be helpful :)
    >
    > is it on a single port? are u on a static ip address? etc........

    His headers show a clear dialup - so it's dynamic.

    --
    EMB
    change two to number to reply
    EMB, Apr 29, 2004
  9. Southern Kiwi

    splat Guest

    "EMB" <> wrote in message
    > In news:,
    > splat <> expelled:
    > > More info would be helpful :)
    > >
    > > is it on a single port? are u on a static ip address? etc........

    > His headers show a clear dialup - so it's dynamic.

    Maybe so. I was asking him/her to provide more info, so as to maybe assist
    in answering the original question.

    The reason I asked (specifically) about the static IP, is maybe that
    particular IP had become associated with something "dodgy" (from a previous
    user of that IP), and therefore, simply disconnecting from the net, and
    reconnecting may have solved his/her problem.

    The art of successful diagnoses is to ask questions :)
    splat, Apr 29, 2004
  10. Southern Kiwi
    > Over 100 in under 7mins at the mo.......

    ZA has a few alerts, but not quite that many
    Patrick Dunford, Apr 29, 2004
  11. Southern Kiwi

    AD. Guest

    On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:04:44 +1200, Southern Kiwi wrote:

    > 500 in 1 hour 46 minutes...... I'm outta here!

    Why, are you worried they have a cumulative effect?

    Or is it a broadband traffic thing?

    Cheers
    Anton
    AD., Apr 29, 2004
  12. Hi there,

    Southern Kiwi wrote:
    > Over 100 in under 7mins at the mo.......

    Wasn't online much last nite, but averaging 45 per hour today...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Canterbury Horse Taxis. http://www.horsetaxis.co.nz/
    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 30, 2004
  13. Hi there,

    splat wrote:

    > More info would be helpful :)
    >
    > is it on a single port? are u on a static ip address? etc........

    Static IP's don't help, but even a dynamically assigned one is static
    for at least as long as you are online! :)

    <CONSPIRACY>
    Too much crap is circulating the net, and goverments are not doing
    diddly squat about it, since that would stop their spyware...
    </CONSPIRACY>

    :)

    Chris Wilkinson, Apr 30, 2004
  14. "splat" <> wrote in message > "EMB"
    <> wrote in message
    > > splat <> expelled:
    > > > More info would be helpful :)
    > > >
    > > > is it on a single port? are u on a static ip address? etc........

    > > His headers show a clear dialup - so it's dynamic.
    > >

    > Maybe so. I was asking him/her to provide more info, so as to maybe assist
    > in answering the original question.
    > The reason I asked (specifically) about the static IP, is maybe that
    > particular IP had become associated with something "dodgy" (from a

    previous
    > user of that IP), and therefore, simply disconnecting from the net, and
    > reconnecting may have solved his/her problem.
    > The art of successful diagnoses is to ask questions :)

    While the IP is dynamic, I think you were on the right track about something
    dodgey with that number as when I reconnected the attacks fell back to the
    "normal" 50 or so per hour

    Southern Kiwi, Apr 30, 2004
  15. "AD." <> wrote in message
    > On Thu, 29 Apr 2004 21:04:44 +1200, Southern Kiwi wrote:
    >
    > > 500 in 1 hour 46 minutes...... I'm outta here!

    > Why, are you worried they have a cumulative effect?
    > Or is it a broadband traffic thing?

    I was thinking that since it was constant that a) it was slowing me down, or
    b) they might find a chink......

    Southern Kiwi, Apr 30, 2004
  16. Southern Kiwi

    Don Gould Guest

    <CONSPIRACY>
    Too much crap is circulating the net, and -goverments are not- NO ONE IS
    doing diddly squat about it, since that would stop their spyware
    (commerical and otherwise)...

    There are huge economic questions that we'd have to start asking if we
    started addressing to many of these problems.

    How many of the security companies that are out there would vanish over
    night if it wasn't for all the spam, ddos, dos & viris?

    Not sure how much ocnspiracy is really involved here....

    We're just talking about a modern day way to shuffle paper.

    </CONSPIRACY>

    Cheers Don

    Don Gould, May 2, 2004