Anyone Carry Gear on Lufthansa Air? Bill? Roger? Anyone? :)

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Mark², May 18, 2006.

  1. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Has anyone here dealt with this?
    -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
    your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
    allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
    be 30 pounds.
    It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.

    Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
    Is there a way around this with them?

    Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I would never
    see it again.

    United Airlines doesn't have a weight spec on carry-ons.
    This is specific to my third flight: Frankfort to Kiev, which is not on
    United (obviously).

    Any experience out there?

    Thanks for any info...

    Bill? Roger? Anyone?

    -Mark²
     
    Mark², May 18, 2006
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Mark² wrote:
    > Has anyone here dealt with this?
    > -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
    > your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
    > allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
    > be 30 pounds.
    > It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.
    >
    > Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
    > Is there a way around this with them?
    >
    > Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I would never
    > see it again.
    >
    > United Airlines doesn't have a weight spec on carry-ons.
    > This is specific to my third flight: Frankfort to Kiev, which is not on
    > United (obviously).
    >
    > Any experience out there?
    >
    > Thanks for any info...
    >
    > Bill? Roger? Anyone?
    >
    > -Mark²


    Mark,
    I have flown Lufthansa from Denver to Frankfort and Frankfort to
    Firenze (Italy) and return. I've also flown them to Berlin. These were
    booked as United flights (Lufthasnsa is a United partner).
    I did see other passengers have to check second carry-ons, so
    the one carry-on limit I have seen enforced, even when the carry
    on is a briefcase (that was on the Frankfort-Firenze portion
    on a smaller plane).

    I have not seen scales and I know my carry-on was over the
    weight limit a little. The key is to not have a huge carry-on,
    and do your best to make it look small, like use one shoulder strap
    and over your shoulder away from the gate agents. It is a risk,
    but I've never seen anyone hassled with a single backpack
    that was smaller than a lot of the suit-cases people try and carry
    on.

    I've also done things like put small items on my belt and in pockets
    in case they try and weigh the carry-on, but fortunately, I've
    never seen any airline actually weigh at the gate. I've also
    traveled British Air, air New Zealand and a couple of others
    with low weight restrictions and not seen them weigh pieces.
    But I have heard of British Air weighing from other people.

    My experience with Lufthansa is that the flight crew is
    professional and tolerant, similar to United crews (my experience
    is that United crews try really hard to help passengers, especially
    as they went through chapter 11 and realized the customer
    would make or break the airline).

    Good luck, and let us know your experience.

    Roger
     
    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), May 18, 2006
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:

    > Has anyone here dealt with this?
    > -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
    > your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
    > allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
    > be 30 pounds.
    > It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.
    >
    > Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
    > Is there a way around this with them?


    I haven't flown Lufthansa, so I can't say for sure about them. I have
    flown British Airways (who allow one carry-on item of 6kg) numerous
    times, and they never complained about me taking two items of
    carry-on, probably well exceeding the weight limit. I'd be surprised
    if Lufthansa were fussy about this. Check with them before going just
    to be sure.

    On an aside, Frankfurt airport security will probably want to check
    your camera gear for explosives, so be sure to pack it such that
    opening isn't a problem.

    --
    Måns Rullgård
     
    =?iso-8859-1?Q?M=E5ns_Rullg=E5rd?=, May 18, 2006
    #3
  4. Mark²

    Joonas Guest

    On Wed, 17 May 2006 22:56:39 -0700, Mark² wrote:

    > Has anyone here dealt with this?
    > -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
    > your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
    > allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
    > be 30 pounds.
    > It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.


    I flew with Lufthansa last week from Helsinki to Athens. In Helsinki they
    weighed my suitcase (within size limitations but weighing 10 kg) and said
    it was too heavy (it wasn't a real problem cause I had my gear in a small
    backbag). In Athens they did not bother to weigh it. So I guess it
    depends...

    In Munich they had an announcement about passangers not being allowed to
    take two carry-ons on board. I had only one so don't know how it works in
    practice.

    Kennet
     
    Joonas, May 18, 2006
    #4
  5. > I've
    > never seen any airline actually weigh at the gate.


    I recently saw a security guard with scales at Perth International in
    Australia. She was weighing any large looking carry-on at the entrance
    to airside. I watched her for several minutes as she turned back several
    people. Given that my laptop bag weighed over 20kg, I was somewhat
    nervous! I got my girlfriend to distract the guard with some chitchat,
    then sauntered through trying to make it look like the bag weighed next
    nothing. I got away with it.
     
    Derek Fountain, May 18, 2006
    #5
  6. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark) wrote:
    > Mark² wrote:
    >> Has anyone here dealt with this?
    >> -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa
    >> says your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE
    >> carry-on is allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro
    >> Backpack is going to be 30 pounds.
    >> It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.
    >>
    >> Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
    >> Is there a way around this with them?
    >>
    >> Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I would
    >> never see it again.
    >>
    >> United Airlines doesn't have a weight spec on carry-ons.
    >> This is specific to my third flight: Frankfort to Kiev, which is not
    >> on United (obviously).
    >>
    >> Any experience out there?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info...
    >>
    >> Bill? Roger? Anyone?
    >>
    >> -Mark²

    >
    > Mark,
    > I have flown Lufthansa from Denver to Frankfort and Frankfort to
    > Firenze (Italy) and return. I've also flown them to Berlin. These
    > were booked as United flights (Lufthasnsa is a United partner).
    > I did see other passengers have to check second carry-ons, so
    > the one carry-on limit I have seen enforced, even when the carry
    > on is a briefcase (that was on the Frankfort-Firenze portion
    > on a smaller plane).
    >
    > I have not seen scales and I know my carry-on was over the
    > weight limit a little. The key is to not have a huge carry-on,
    > and do your best to make it look small, like use one shoulder strap
    > and over your shoulder away from the gate agents. It is a risk,
    > but I've never seen anyone hassled with a single backpack
    > that was smaller than a lot of the suit-cases people try and carry
    > on.
    >
    > I've also done things like put small items on my belt and in pockets
    > in case they try and weigh the carry-on, but fortunately, I've
    > never seen any airline actually weigh at the gate. I've also
    > traveled British Air, air New Zealand and a couple of others
    > with low weight restrictions and not seen them weigh pieces.
    > But I have heard of British Air weighing from other people.
    >
    > My experience with Lufthansa is that the flight crew is
    > professional and tolerant, similar to United crews (my experience
    > is that United crews try really hard to help passengers, especially
    > as they went through chapter 11 and realized the customer
    > would make or break the airline).
    >
    > Good luck, and let us know your experience.
    >
    > Roger


    Thank you, Roger. I appreciate your information and find it encouraging.
    I'm still unsure of what my options would be IF they didn't allow it. If it
    isn't...I don't know what I'd do, since I just can't fathom checking +/-
    $13,000 gear in one bag.

    -Mark²
     
    Mark², May 18, 2006
    #6
  7. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Måns Rullgård wrote:
    > "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> writes:
    >
    >> Has anyone here dealt with this?
    >> -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa
    >> says your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE
    >> carry-on is allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro
    >> Backpack is going to be 30 pounds.
    >> It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.
    >>
    >> Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
    >> Is there a way around this with them?

    >
    > I haven't flown Lufthansa, so I can't say for sure about them. I have
    > flown British Airways (who allow one carry-on item of 6kg) numerous
    > times, and they never complained about me taking two items of
    > carry-on, probably well exceeding the weight limit. I'd be surprised
    > if Lufthansa were fussy about this. Check with them before going just
    > to be sure.
    >
    > On an aside, Frankfurt airport security will probably want to check
    > your camera gear for explosives, so be sure to pack it such that
    > opening isn't a problem.


    Thank you Måns. That is encouraging. I'm still wondering what I'll do if,
    for some reason, they don't allow it...but it sounds like you haven't faced
    that yet.

    -Mark²
     
    Mark², May 18, 2006
    #7
  8. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Joonas wrote:
    > On Wed, 17 May 2006 22:56:39 -0700, Mark² wrote:
    >
    >> Has anyone here dealt with this?
    >> -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa
    >> says your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE
    >> carry-on is allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro
    >> Backpack is going to be 30 pounds.
    >> It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.

    >
    > I flew with Lufthansa last week from Helsinki to Athens. In Helsinki
    > they weighed my suitcase (within size limitations but weighing 10 kg)
    > and said it was too heavy (it wasn't a real problem cause I had my
    > gear in a small backbag). In Athens they did not bother to weigh it.
    > So I guess it depends...
    >
    > In Munich they had an announcement about passangers not being allowed
    > to take two carry-ons on board. I had only one so don't know how it
    > works in practice.
    >
    > Kennet


    That's not so encouraging...

    How on Earth to photographers carry less than 8kg with all their gear??
    Leaving it to luck/chance/distraction is not what I want to do...
    ....and I'm traveling alone--meaning no girlfriend to distract the guard.
    :)
    -Mark²
     
    Mark², May 18, 2006
    #8
  9. In article <g2Uag.1393$rS6.106@fed1read11>, Mark²
    <mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
    >Has anyone here dealt with this?
    >-I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
    >your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
    >allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
    >be 30 pounds.
    >It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.
    >
    >Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
    >Is there a way around this with them?
    >
    >Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I would never
    >see it again.
    >
    >United Airlines doesn't have a weight spec on carry-ons.
    >This is specific to my third flight: Frankfort to Kiev, which is not on
    >United (obviously).
    >
    >Any experience out there?
    >
    >Thanks for any info...
    >
    >Bill? Roger? Anyone?
    >

    Mark,

    Never flown Lufthansa, but experience on lots of other airlines matches
    others'. If you have a single shoulder bag, keep it behind you and look
    as if it weighs nothing, you will rarely have a problem.

    When on a trip with my camera gear (usually a large Tamrac bag weighing
    in at 12 kg or so) I wear a Tamrac photographers vest. Usually, for the
    flight, the pockets are lightly loaded (book, mini-disc player etc). On
    one or two occasions I have seen them weighing the hand baggage of
    passengers in front of me - usually if they were trying to take a large
    roll-on. While standing in the queue, I was able to stuff the pockets
    with 2 camera bodies and 3 lenses, getting the weight of the bag down to
    less than 6kg. Of course, the jacket looked like a fat suit (and weighed
    more than the bag) but the jobsworths who administer these rules don't
    have anything in their manual about clothing.

    Hope you enjoy Kiev. Trust the 5D has arrived and you are happy with it.
    Mine has actually helped with packing, as I used to take a small
    rollfilm outfit in the bag (Mamiya 6 + 3 lenses) along with the 35mm
    stuff. The quality of the 5D is such that I felt able to leave the
    Mamiya behind on my 2.5 week trip to Chile last month - and (for the
    first time in my life) to take no film with me. Of course, I then take
    more lenses....

    David
    --
    David Littlewood
     
    David Littlewood, May 18, 2006
    #9
  10. "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message
    news:g2Uag.1393$rS6.106@fed1read11...
    > Has anyone here dealt with this?
    > -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
    > your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
    > allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going
    > to
    > be 30 pounds.
    > It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.
    >
    > Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
    > Is there a way around this with them?


    Chances are you won't have to weigh it.
    What's in your pack? There are several items that can be carried on in
    additional to your pack. Also, they never worry about the bags of duty free
    that people carry on in additional to their baggage - maybe get a duty free
    bag and put some stuff from your pack in that.

    In addition to your hand luggage, you may take the following items on board:
    a.. a handbag, wrist bag or small bag with shoulder straps
    b.. a coat, shawl or blanket
    c.. an umbrella or walking stick
    d.. a small camera or a pair of binoculars
    e.. an appropriate amount of reading material for the journey
    f.. a baby basket and baby food for consumption during the flight
    g.. crutches or other orthopaedic aids needed during the journey
     
    Jack Torrence, May 18, 2006
    #10
  11. Mark²

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Mark² wrote ...
    >
    > -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa says
    > your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE carry-on is
    > allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro Backpack is going to
    > be 30 pounds.
    >
    > Bill? Roger? Anyone?


    They might weigh it (I was turned away at the Air New Zealand counter
    in Sydney once for being 3 lbs overweight once and was ready to book
    another airline before they relented) but they may not, if it is small.
    We had similar restrictions on KLM from Amsterdam to Tanzania so what
    I did was wear a photo vest which would hold three lenses and two
    camera bodies if need be, leaving the LowePro bag and the 500 f/4,
    which together weighed slightly less than the 8 kilos. So if hassled I
    would stuff the 70-200 f/2.8 and smaller lenses in the vest pockets, go
    thru security and then put it back in the bag. Pretty dumb but it's a
    loop-hole you can take advantage of. But they didn't weigh the bags,
    they just did a visual inspection (two people I was traveling with had
    to check in some of their bags though, but these were over-sized and
    over-weight).

    The other loophole is you can wear a camera around your neck and it
    doesn't count against the 8 kilos ... I used to do this with an EOS-3
    and a 100 mm macro that fit the camera case on trips to Alaska when we
    also carried medium format for landscape.

    > Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I
    > would never see it again.


    On our first trip to Africa one of our party shipped a Nikon 600 f/4
    and a D2x (among other things) in a checked bag. It didn't arrive
    until day 5 and everyone was pretty certain $14,000 worth of camera
    gear wouldn't make it in a country where the average per capita income
    is around $700, but it arrived fine. I was so impressed that on our
    second trip I actually shipped a 300 f/4 L lens in checked bags and it
    was fine too. I've heard you can't do this to certain airports
    (Nairobi used to have a gang of thieves working the x-ray inspections)
    but it's not a certainty the gear will be stolen. Dunno about the
    Ukraine ...

    Have a nice trip :)

    Bill
     
    Bill Hilton, May 18, 2006
    #11
  12. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:
    >> Mark wrote ...
    >>
    >> -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa
    >> says your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE
    >> carry-on is allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro
    >> Backpack is going to be 30 pounds.
    >>
    >> Bill? Roger? Anyone?

    >
    > They might weigh it (I was turned away at the Air New Zealand counter
    > in Sydney once for being 3 lbs overweight once and was ready to book
    > another airline before they relented) but they may not, if it is
    > small. We had similar restrictions on KLM from Amsterdam to Tanzania
    > so what I did was wear a photo vest which would hold three lenses and
    > two camera bodies if need be, leaving the LowePro bag and the 500 f/4,
    > which together weighed slightly less than the 8 kilos. So if hassled
    > I would stuff the 70-200 f/2.8 and smaller lenses in the vest
    > pockets, go thru security and then put it back in the bag. Pretty
    > dumb but it's a loop-hole you can take advantage of. But they didn't
    > weigh the bags, they just did a visual inspection (two people I was
    > traveling with had to check in some of their bags though, but these
    > were over-sized and over-weight).
    >
    > The other loophole is you can wear a camera around your neck and it
    > doesn't count against the 8 kilos ... I used to do this with an EOS-3
    > and a 100 mm macro that fit the camera case on trips to Alaska when we
    > also carried medium format for landscape.
    >
    >> Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I
    >> would never see it again.

    >
    > On our first trip to Africa one of our party shipped a Nikon 600 f/4
    > and a D2x (among other things) in a checked bag. It didn't arrive
    > until day 5 and everyone was pretty certain $14,000 worth of camera
    > gear wouldn't make it in a country where the average per capita income
    > is around $700, but it arrived fine. I was so impressed that on our
    > second trip I actually shipped a 300 f/4 L lens in checked bags and it
    > was fine too. I've heard you can't do this to certain airports
    > (Nairobi used to have a gang of thieves working the x-ray inspections)
    > but it's not a certainty the gear will be stolen. Dunno about the
    > Ukraine ...
    >
    > Have a nice trip :)
    >
    > Bill


    Great info, Bill. I first thought of you and then Roger and David L...and
    sure enough...you all had good info.
    :)
    I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard to at
    least have one with me.
    What vest is that you used?
    Thanks for your help.
    -Mark
     
    Mark², May 18, 2006
    #12
  13. Mark²

    Mark² Guest

    David Littlewood wrote:
    > In article <g2Uag.1393$rS6.106@fed1read11>, Mark²
    > <mjmorgan@cox.?.net.invalid> writes
    >> Has anyone here dealt with this?
    >> -I'm flying from Frankfort. Germany to Kiev, Ukraine...and Lufthansa
    >> says your carry on can weigh no more than 8kg...with only ONE
    >> carry-on is allowed. That's only 17+ pounds, and my small Lowepro
    >> Backpack is going to be 30 pounds.
    >> It's well within size limitations, but weight is a problem.
    >>
    >> Has anyone flown with heavy carry ons on Lufthansa??
    >> Is there a way around this with them?
    >>
    >> Checking my photo gear as baggage is out of the question, as I would
    >> never see it again.
    >>
    >> United Airlines doesn't have a weight spec on carry-ons.
    >> This is specific to my third flight: Frankfort to Kiev, which is not
    >> on United (obviously).
    >>
    >> Any experience out there?
    >>
    >> Thanks for any info...
    >>
    >> Bill? Roger? Anyone?
    >>

    > Mark,
    >
    > Never flown Lufthansa, but experience on lots of other airlines
    > matches others'. If you have a single shoulder bag, keep it behind
    > you and look as if it weighs nothing, you will rarely have a problem.
    >
    > When on a trip with my camera gear (usually a large Tamrac bag
    > weighing in at 12 kg or so) I wear a Tamrac photographers vest.
    > Usually, for the flight, the pockets are lightly loaded (book,
    > mini-disc player etc). On one or two occasions I have seen them
    > weighing the hand baggage of passengers in front of me - usually if
    > they were trying to take a large roll-on. While standing in the
    > queue, I was able to stuff the pockets with 2 camera bodies and 3
    > lenses, getting the weight of the bag down to less than 6kg. Of
    > course, the jacket looked like a fat suit (and weighed more than the
    > bag) but the jobsworths who administer these rules don't have
    > anything in their manual about clothing.
    > Hope you enjoy Kiev. Trust the 5D has arrived and you are happy with
    > it. Mine has actually helped with packing, as I used to take a small
    > rollfilm outfit in the bag (Mamiya 6 + 3 lenses) along with the 35mm
    > stuff. The quality of the 5D is such that I felt able to leave the
    > Mamiya behind on my 2.5 week trip to Chile last month - and (for the
    > first time in my life) to take no film with me. Of course, I then take
    > more lenses....
    >
    > David


    Thanks David!
    Between you and Bill H., I am now convincd that my next purchase will be a
    photo vest to at least have with me in the event they seem in a picky mood.

    I received the 5D yesterday and yes...I am VERY happy with it.
    I'm running out the door or I'd write more...
    Thank you again for your great info/help.
    -Mark²
     
    Mark², May 18, 2006
    #13
  14. Mark²

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > Mark² wrote ...
    >
    >I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard to
    >at least have one with me.
    >What vest is that you used?


    Domke PhoTogs, about $65 at B&H ... wearing one in an airport makes you
    look a bit like a dork, but a dork who arrives with all his camera gear
    :) I use the zippered pockets for passports, tickets, memory cards,
    etc when traveling so even if you don't have to stuff 20 lbs of lenses
    and bodies in the pockets to get past the carry-on police it's still
    handy for traveling. If you don't mind looking like a dork ...

    Bill
     
    Bill Hilton, May 18, 2006
    #14
  15. Mark²

    Brian Guest

    On Thu, 18 May 2006 08:12:50 -0700, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest even
    number here)@cox..net> mentioned:

    >:)
    >I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard to at
    >least have one with me.
    >What vest is that you used?
    >Thanks for your help.
    >-Mark
    >

    Welcome to European air travel. Al countries seem to be getting
    tighter on monitoring carry on recently. I use a bum bag / fanny
    sack for one or two items - usually my heavy binoculars and one lens -
    for check in and then put it all back in the camera bag or rucsack
    between check in and security.

    The main airport operator in the UK is now pushing all airlines to
    keep to one carry on per passenger - the justification being speeding
    up security monitoring. It's cheaper than buying more machines and
    paying operators.

    Brian
    (for email change closed to open)
     
    Brian, May 18, 2006
    #15
  16. Bill Hilton wrote:
    >> Mark� wrote ...
    >>
    >> I don't use a photo vest, but this is the best reason I've yet heard to
    >> at least have one with me.
    >> What vest is that you used?

    >
    > Domke PhoTogs, about $65 at B&H ... wearing one in an airport makes you
    > look a bit like a dork, but a dork who arrives with all his camera gear
    > :) I use the zippered pockets for passports, tickets, memory cards,
    > etc when traveling so even if you don't have to stuff 20 lbs of lenses
    > and bodies in the pockets to get past the carry-on police it's still
    > handy for traveling. If you don't mind looking like a dork ...
    >

    Where did the 70-200 go, and how comfortable was it? I don't have that
    vest, but I have suspected I look dorky in the one I have- got it from
    REI - don't even know if it's really an *official* (! <s>) photogs
    jacket! But it sure has a lot of pockets. The only place the 70-200
    would fit, I think, is in the back swag pocket....All right until one
    sits....

    --
    john mcwilliams
     
    John McWilliams, May 18, 2006
    #16
  17. Mark²

    Bill Hilton Guest

    > John McWilliams writes ...
    >
    >Where did the 70-200 go (in the Domke vest) ...


    There are two inside pockets in the front that are long enough to hold
    the 3 lb class lenses like the 300 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8 etc ... the lens
    lays flat or you can get two shorter lenses in upright. You access
    these from the inside of the vest.

    > ... and how comfortable was it?


    Usually it's just short-term to get past the check station but I
    remember wearing the vest on a flight to Florida with the 70-200 in the
    pocket and it wasn't that bad.

    >The only place the 70-200
    >would fit, I think, is in the back swag pocket


    Yes, there are two back pockets on the Domke where the 70-200 sized
    lenses will fit vertically but as you point out you can't sit down and
    lean back :) I was going to use these in Holland and put the camera
    bodies in the front pockets to get past the screeners but luckily this
    wasn't necessary as they didn't enforce their weight limits.

    Bill
     
    Bill Hilton, May 18, 2006
    #17
  18. Mark²

    Ken Weitzel Guest

    Bill Hilton wrote:

    >>John McWilliams writes ...
    >>
    >>Where did the 70-200 go (in the Domke vest) ...

    >
    >
    > There are two inside pockets in the front that are long enough to hold
    > the 3 lb class lenses like the 300 f/4, 70-200 f/2.8 etc ... the lens
    > lays flat or you can get two shorter lenses in upright. You access
    > these from the inside of the vest.
    >
    >
    >>... and how comfortable was it?

    >
    >
    > Usually it's just short-term to get past the check station but I
    > remember wearing the vest on a flight to Florida with the 70-200 in the
    > pocket and it wasn't that bad.
    >
    >
    >>The only place the 70-200
    >>would fit, I think, is in the back swag pocket

    >
    >
    > Yes, there are two back pockets on the Domke where the 70-200 sized
    > lenses will fit vertically but as you point out you can't sit down and
    > lean back :) I was going to use these in Holland and put the camera
    > bodies in the front pockets to get past the screeners but luckily this
    > wasn't necessary as they didn't enforce their weight limits.
    >
    > Bill


    Hi...

    I can't even begin to think of the reaction you'd a gotten from
    security :)

    Take care.

    Ken
     
    Ken Weitzel, May 18, 2006
    #18
  19. Mark²

    F Guest

    On 18/05/2006 11:11 David Littlewood wrote:

    > jobsworths who administer these rules


    Jobsworths?

    They and their rules are there for my (and your) safety. You might not
    care but I expect your fellow travellers will.
     
    F, May 18, 2006
    #19
  20. Mark²

    Alfred Molon Guest

    In article <QVVag.1403$rS6.1370@fed1read11>, "Mark²" <mjmorgan(lowest
    even number here)@cox..net> says...

    > How on Earth to photographers carry less than 8kg with all their gear??
    > Leaving it to luck/chance/distraction is not what I want to do...
    > ...and I'm traveling alone--meaning no girlfriend to distract the guard.


    Welcome to the realities of travel photography Mark. Size and weight
    unfortunately matter...
    --

    Alfred Molon
    ------------------------------
    Olympus 50X0, 7070, 8080, E300, E330 and E500 forum at
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/MyOlympus/
    Olympus E330 resource - http://myolympus.org/E330/
     
    Alfred Molon, May 18, 2006
    #20
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Richard

    Air travel with pro photo gear?

    Richard, Sep 17, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    11
    Views:
    1,670
    silvercelt
    Sep 20, 2006
  2. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    1,655
  3. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,124
  4. Replies:
    0
    Views:
    2,191
  5. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    1,237
    Bert Hyman
    Dec 31, 2008
Loading...

Share This Page