  1. AT

    AT Guest

    as above.

    AT, Dec 12, 2004

  2. AT wrote:
    > as above.

    UBS is Telecoms wholesales product that they sell to ISP's, to market as
    they will, and was meant to be "unlimited", but Telecom have chucked in
    some limitations, like "no active promotion of static IPs" and "10Gbyte
    average usage across all users of each ISP"

    Basically they are both DSL, and essencially the same thing to the end
    user, a 256kbit DSL account.

    Others will no doubt be able to point out other differences/similarities.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e

    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Dec 12, 2004

  3. AT

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > AT wrote:
    >> as above.

    > UBS is Telecoms wholesales product that they sell to ISP's, to market
    > as they will, and was meant to be "unlimited", but Telecom have
    > chucked in some limitations, like "no active promotion of static IPs"
    > and "10Gbyte average usage across all users of each ISP"
    >
    > Basically they are both DSL, and essencially the same thing to the end
    > user, a 256kbit DSL account.
    >
    > Others will no doubt be able to point out other
    > differences/similarities.

    There is a whisper of Telecom deliberately nerfing UBS to make it unsuitable
    for gaming. (Thus keeping customers for themselves) When I first got it it
    was atrocious. Now it's better, the ping-times are around 140% of what they
    were on Jetstream. However, every few minutes there are unbelievable
    lag-spikes, making on-line gaming a real chore. I have spoken to people a
    round the world and other NZers accessing the same server from non-UBS lines
    and nobody else is having these problems.

    Ping times aren't bad though, so sending copies of the 'ping' output or
    'tracert' to the ISP achieves nothing. It's the unexplained (and hard to
    'document') lag-spikes that are the problem.
    --
    ~misfit~ (pissed off)

    ~misfit~, Dec 13, 2004
  4. AT

    geoffm Guest

    On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:35:03 +1300, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> AT wrote:
    >>> as above.

    >> UBS is Telecoms wholesales product that they sell to ISP's, to market
    >> as they will, and was meant to be "unlimited", but Telecom have
    >> chucked in some limitations, like "no active promotion of static IPs"
    >> and "10Gbyte average usage across all users of each ISP"
    >>
    >> Basically they are both DSL, and essencially the same thing to the end
    >> user, a 256kbit DSL account.
    >>
    >> Others will no doubt be able to point out other
    >> differences/similarities.

    >There is a whisper of Telecom deliberately nerfing UBS to make it unsuitable
    >for gaming. (Thus keeping customers for themselves) When I first got it it
    >was atrocious. Now it's better, the ping-times are around 140% of what they
    >were on Jetstream. However, every few minutes there are unbelievable
    >lag-spikes, making on-line gaming a real chore. I have spoken to people a
    >round the world and other NZers accessing the same server from non-UBS lines
    >and nobody else is having these problems.
    >
    >Ping times aren't bad though, so sending copies of the 'ping' output or
    >'tracert' to the ISP achieves nothing. It's the unexplained (and hard to
    >'document') lag-spikes that are the problem.

    It is possibly also to stop people using VoIP phoens, and hence them
    losing their cut of the phoen revenue.
    Geoff

    geoffm, Dec 13, 2004
  5. On Sun, 12 Dec 2004 15:03:50 +1300, AT wrote:

    > as above.

    The offical excuse is that the bandwidth from Telecom to your ISP is just
    not enough. But, yes, wouldn't you love to take a look at their traffic
    shaping setup.

    You can only hope that an insider would blow the whistle if they are really
    up to something. I've yet to meet a Telecom tech (are they real people?).

    wogers nemesis, Dec 13, 2004
  6. AT

    Bob Guest

    <> wrote:

    >Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> AT wrote:
    >>> as above.

    >> UBS is Telecoms wholesales product that they sell to ISP's, to market
    >> as they will, and was meant to be "unlimited", but Telecom have
    >> chucked in some limitations, like "no active promotion of static IPs"
    >> and "10Gbyte average usage across all users of each ISP"
    >>
    >> Basically they are both DSL, and essencially the same thing to the end
    >> user, a 256kbit DSL account.
    >>
    >> Others will no doubt be able to point out other
    >> differences/similarities.

    >There is a whisper of Telecom deliberately nerfing UBS to make it unsuitable
    >for gaming. (Thus keeping customers for themselves) When I first got it it
    >was atrocious. Now it's better, the ping-times are around 140% of what they
    >were on Jetstream. However, every few minutes there are unbelievable
    >lag-spikes, making on-line gaming a real chore. I have spoken to people a
    >round the world and other NZers accessing the same server from non-UBS lines
    >and nobody else is having these problems.
    >
    >Ping times aren't bad though, so sending copies of the 'ping' output or
    >'tracert' to the ISP achieves nothing. It's the unexplained (and hard to
    >'document') lag-spikes that are the problem.

    I am getting the same thing and it is pissing off my son..

    In counter strike the ping has gone from 60 - 80ms average
    (jetstream128) to 120 - 160ms average (Bliink 256)??

    This is the ping to local CS servers..

    help desk person had no idea, but told story of it is all the new
    users coming on to bliink and should get better round mid Jan when
    things will get faster and someone or somthing goes to 2MB...

    Bob, Dec 14, 2004
  7. AT

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Bob wrote:
    > On Mon, 13 Dec 2004 18:35:03 +1300, "~misfit~"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >>>
    >>> UBS is Telecoms wholesales product that they sell to ISP's, to
    >>> market as they will, and was meant to be "unlimited", but Telecom
    >>> have chucked in some limitations, like "no active promotion of
    >>> static IPs" and "10Gbyte average usage across all users of each ISP"
    >>>
    >>> Basically they are both DSL, and essencially the same thing to the
    >>> end user, a 256kbit DSL account.
    >>>
    >>> Others will no doubt be able to point out other
    >>> differences/similarities.

    >> There is a whisper of Telecom deliberately nerfing UBS to make it
    >> unsuitable for gaming. (Thus keeping customers for themselves) When
    >> I first got it it was atrocious. Now it's better, the ping-times are
    >> around 140% of what they were on Jetstream. However, every few
    >> minutes there are unbelievable lag-spikes, making on-line gaming a
    >> real chore. I have spoken to people a round the world and other
    >> NZers accessing the same server from non-UBS lines and nobody else
    >> is having these problems.
    >>
    >> Ping times aren't bad though, so sending copies of the 'ping' output
    >> or 'tracert' to the ISP achieves nothing. It's the unexplained (and
    >> hard to 'document') lag-spikes that are the problem.

    > I am getting the same thing and it is pissing off my son..
    >
    > In counter strike the ping has gone from 60 - 80ms average
    > (jetstream128) to 120 - 160ms average (Bliink 256)??
    >
    > This is the ping to local CS servers..

    So it's even happening on local servers too? The person who told me that
    Telecom may be deliberately nerfing the UBS thing is someone who may
    actually know a thing or two so it's not a fictional scenario. How have we,
    a democracy, put ourselves in a position where a single company can hold a
    significant portion of the population to ransom? Currently it looks like, if
    you want to play games on-line and can't get Wired Country or 'cable' (Woosh
    latency is too high is my understanding) then you have no choice but to deal
    directly with Telecom/Xtra or someone on-selling their product. This is a
    worse situation than pre-UBS, at least then you didn't have a choice (if you
    know what I mean) I went from Jetstream to UBS and now my gameplaying
    experience is an exercise in frustration rather than the stress-relieving
    experience it used to be. I don't "do" TV, I play games on-line and, since
    UBS, I'm fucked.

    > help desk person had no idea, but told story of it is all the new
    > users coming on to bliink and should get better round mid Jan when
    > things will get faster and someone or somthing goes to 2MB...

    Yeah, excuses excuses. Always with the God-damned excuses. In the meantime
    they're still taking my bloody money. By proxy, but it's still going to
    Telecom indirectly.

    Bastards. Bruce, you got a working cruise-missile handy? I'm sure I've seen
    a big building with "Telecom" in big, neon lights on it in Auckland
    somewhere, will someone with a GPS give us a fix please? Or in Wellington,
    wherever Theresa's office is.
    --
    ~misfit~

    ~misfit~, Dec 15, 2004