    somewhere who might be able to guide me thru this maze, I've been told it's
    a good machine and it seems a pity to just scrap it....

    Help or Advice Please

    Big Bloke, Jan 14, 2006

  2. Big Bloke

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:yLfyf.92386$,
    Big Bloke spewed forth:
    > Hi guys I have been given a 1999 ibook and to be honest I know
    > nothing about Mac/Applemac/ and or it operating systems. What I do
    > know is that there is a lot of crap on the system and in PC terms the
    > hard drive wants reformatting and the software reloading.
    >
    > To be honest at the moment I stand more chance of 'getting snot
    > plaited' or 'juggling soot underwater'. Is there a news group or a
    > team of geeks somewhere who might be able to guide me thru this maze,
    > I've been told it's a good machine and it seems a pity to just scrap
    > it....
    > Help or Advice Please

    Way cool!

    I don't know enough to be real help, but I'm sure Mitch or one of the other
    Mac gurus will be dropping by in a while. In the meantime, are you sure you
    want to erase it and start over? Most of the time it should only need to be
    cleaned up - delete things that aren't yours, things you aren't going to
    use, etc.

    --
    Regardless of Public Law No. 109-162 I hereby affirm that it is
    probably my intent to annoy the reader of this post. Get over it.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 14, 2006

  3. Big Bloke

    Mitch Guest

    In article <yLfyf.92386$>, Big Bloke
    <> wrote:

    > Hi guys I have been given a 1999 ibook and to be honest I know nothing about
    > Mac/Applemac/ and or it operating systems. What I do know is that there is a
    > lot of crap on the system and in PC terms the hard drive wants reformatting
    > and the software reloading.

    First two questions have to be:
    does it start up now? (indicating it is in working order and has system
    software on it?)
    Do you have any system software discs? (and what versions?)

    If you have, and just want to start up:
    power up, and insert the disc
    hold down the c key (that tells it to use the optical drive)

    You can wipe and check out the drive, and start the installer from
    there.

    Mitch, Jan 15, 2006