Anyone any ideas please?

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Steffi, Oct 3, 2003.

  1. Steffi

    Steffi Guest

    I know this is a lot to ask but can anyone offer any suggestions as to why
    my partner's pc keeps freezing and showing the dreaded blue screen? The
    specs are: PIII 850, 40G HDDD partioned into 2 x 20, 128mb RAM. OS is Win 98
    SE. System info is at; http://www.djh.ukjournalists.co.uk/pc2.htm

    Not fantastic I agree but at the same time it's not ancient.

    Error messages include (but are not exclusively) "General Protection fault
    in module ESER.EXE at 0006:00006114"

    And "Fatal Exeption OE 017F:BFF9DFFF"

    The amount of RAM being used seems excessive - especially as I've stopped
    most of the applications at start up and basically the only progs running
    inthebackgoruns now are OE, IE, Office Messenger and Norton AV & pop up
    stopper. I have far more running on mine yet don't use anywhere near that
    mount of RAM. I've used Ad Aware to check for diallers etc working in the
    background and nothing jumps out and hits me!

    There's 75% space left on C (where the progs are) 90 % on d where the data
    is stored. Occasionally when it boots it goes into the bios screen and says
    that it's resetting to default options (unfortunately now that I'm writing
    this I can't reproduce the error to quote the actual wording!). At that
    point the clock setting is wrong too. I know this is a long shot but could
    it possibly be the bios battery? I know they last for yonks but the machine
    was turned off for quite a while.

    I've replaced, although not increased the RAM. There's quite a lot of
    applications on it, but even so the amount of RAM being used seems
    excessive - especially as I've stopped most of the applications at start up
    and basically the only progs running in theback groundn now are OE, IE,
    Office Messenger, Norton AV & pop up stopper. I have far more running on
    mine yet don't use anywhere near that mount of RAM. I've used Ad Aware to
    check for diallers etc working in the background and nothing jumps out and
    hits me! Would increasing the RAM help/

    Also wondering if it's possibly the video card might be at fault?

    I know this is all guesswork but to be honest, I'm reluctant to play around
    with it too much in case I might make it worse just looking for simple
    things to try. I'm putting of reformatting it because a) it was done a few
    months ago and b) I can 100% guarantee he doesn't know where any of the
    drivers for his peripherals are and hasn't backed up for months (since I
    did it!).

    Santa might bring him a new one for Christmas but in the meantime is it
    worth trying something fairly simple to improve it?
    Steffi, Oct 3, 2003

  2. Steffi

    Brian Gaff Guest

    Have you tried the Cmos battery replace trick that seemed to fix random
    errors on a friends machine?

    Brian

    --
    Brian Gaff....
    Email:

    ---
    Brian Gaff, Oct 3, 2003

  3. Steffi

    W.J. Newton Guest

    Steffi,
    How do you know how much RAM is being used? Many people make the mistake of
    confusing System Resources with RAM. They are unrelated. You can operate
    safely with resources near zero on most machines.

    Try removing one and then the other stick of ram and see if the errors
    disappear when one of the RAM sticks is removed. Its possible you have some
    dodgy RAM. I would also definitely replace the BIOS battery as it has the
    classic symptoms of being low on charge. Ensure all your cards and cables
    are fully seated on the motherboard.

    WJNewton, MS MVP W98

    W.J. Newton, Oct 3, 2003
  4. Steffi

    Plato Guest

    Steffi wrote:

    > I know this is a lot to ask but can anyone offer any suggestions as to why
    > my partner's pc keeps freezing and showing the dreaded blue screen? The

    I can make any PC do that 20 times/day by installing these 2 mismatched
    32 meg dimms I have laying around. Of course this is an aside as that's
    not your problem in this case.

    --
    http://www.bootdisk.com/
    Plato, Oct 4, 2003
  5. Steffi

    Frederick Guest

    Update to windows xp never had problems again.

    Frederick, Oct 26, 2003