    elaich Guest

    I'm think about trying it out and wondered if there are any drawbacks. Has
    anybody had any trouble with it?
    elaich, Feb 7, 2005

  2. elaich

    Guest

    , Feb 7, 2005

  3. elaich

    elaich Guest

    wrote in news:420dfc30.40082853
    @News.Individual.NET:

    > Bottom line is your renting your music from Napster, fail to make a
    > monthly payment your music disappears

    I know how to stop that from happening. ;)
    elaich, Feb 7, 2005
  4. elaich

    elaich Guest

    elaich <> wrote in news::

    > wrote in news:420dfc30.40082853
    > @News.Individual.NET:
    >
    >> Bottom line is your renting your music from Napster, fail to make a
    >> monthly payment your music disappears

    > I know how to stop that from happening. ;)

    I had a really evil, nasty thought. What if the new Napster is really a
    tool of the RIAA? When you sign up, they get your real name, address, and
    credit card number. The Napster agent demands use of your modem and
    access to your hard drive. It uses WMP, which must be updated to support
    DRM before it can be used.

    Give these fools unlimited access for $9.95 a month and we'll get back
    all that we lost, and more. Let 'em bail on us and we have all the
    pertinent info about them, including what is stored on their hard drive
    (s). Like downloaded music from the original Napster, newsgroups, etc.

    Could happen.
    elaich, Feb 7, 2005
  5. elaich

    Richard Guest

    On Mon, 07 Feb 2005 05:30:21 GMT wrote:

    > On 7 Feb 2005 05:07:55 GMT, elaich <> wrote:

    ||> I'm think about trying it out and wondered if there are any
    ||drawbacks. Has
    ||> anybody had any trouble with it?

    > Real good article on this here:
    > http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/02/04/napster_go_away/

    > Bottom line is your renting your music from Napster, fail to make a
    > monthly payment your music disappears - this article suggest an Ipod
    > instead.

    Sounds like what they are saying is, you don't really download the music
    itself to your computer, but some sort of access file which lets you play
    the tune as desired. Like a streaming device.
    Bullshit.
    So what you do is, use a streaming recorder and snag the tunes for
    safekeeping and use when ever.
    $15 a month whether I use it or not?
    Of that $15, how much is going to the RIAA and the how much of that does the
    band get? Nothing.
    The difference between the original napster and current version is, the RIAA
    is happy.
    Richard, Feb 7, 2005
  6. elaich

    elaich Guest

    "Richard" <Anonymous@127.001> wrote in news::

    > Sounds like what they are saying is, you don't really download the music
    > itself to your computer, but some sort of access file which lets you play
    > the tune as desired. Like a streaming device.

    No, the files download as DRM protected .wma files. If you don't pay your
    Napster bill, the files go bye bye. I suppose they have a time bomb in them
    that causes them to self destruct after a period of time, and the Napster
    client can reset the clock when it's signaled to by Napster.
    elaich, Feb 8, 2005