    to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

    Cheers,
    Chris

    El Penguino, Apr 20, 2006

  2. El Penguino

    TEX Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
    > the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
    >
    > Is the quality any good under such conditions?
    > Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
    > to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?
    >
    > Cheers,
    > Chris

    most webcams use cmos based lens, which are not really up to the cctv
    standards, but still work. teamed up a ir luminator it would do the job
    you want. Easiest is to just buy one of the many cheap and nasty ir
    cameras they selling on trademe (atleast the are ccd based) and connect
    it to you tv capture card in your comp. Or just by a one of those pico
    $30 cards.

    The software is not that great, but does show a timeline of when motion
    is detected. The hardware combo i use, you just draw a box on the screen
    around the area where the dog has made a dump (for example) and it it
    find the footage for when it was done. None of that BS hours of trawling
    through footage.

    Plenty of software around, but i have yet to find one that does what my
    software does.

    Let me knwo what you come up with.

    TEX

    TEX, Apr 20, 2006

  3. El Penguino

    Guest

    And hook it up to a shotgun.

    See all you need to know about Helen Klark and the Maoist feminazis who
    run NZ at http://bonspiel.orcon.net.nz

    , Apr 20, 2006
  4. El Penguino

    El Penguino Guest

    On 20 Apr 2006 05:48:48 -0700, ""
    <> wrote:

    >And hook it up to a shotgun.

    Tempting, but I need a non-lethal solution to my problem. A pretty boy
    like me wouldnt last 5 minutes in the big house :)

    El Penguino, Apr 20, 2006
  5. El Penguino

    sharktbbtfy Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
    > the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
    >
    > Is the quality any good under such conditions?
    > Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
    > to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

    Motion sensitive?

    The mind boggles!

    --
    Sharktbbtfy

    sharktbbtfy, Apr 20, 2006
  6. El Penguino

    Matty F Guest

    El Penguino wrote:
    > Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
    > the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!

    I used to find a pile of dog crap by my letterbox each morning.
    I trimmed the tree and pointed my sensor light at the letterbox.
    Next morning the light went on and I saw an old guy and dog
    scurry off. He used to allow his dog to do that when he walked
    his dog in the dark, but he's not done it again.

    I have an old Sony handycam that chews up tapes, but the picture
    is excellent when I connect it to a TV. I do have some kind of TV
    capture card but I have no idea how to use it to record only
    where there is movement.

    Matty F, Apr 21, 2006
  7. El Penguino

    Snufkin Guest

    In article <>,
    El Penguino <> wrote:

    > Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
    > the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
    >
    > Is the quality any good under such conditions?
    > Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
    > to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

    It annoys me that the solution is so near yet so far: A digital still
    camera 3-4MP to get respectable enlargement*, fixed focus (38mm), auto
    exposure, motion sensitive (adjustable) to take an image if something
    moves in front of it, images stored on conventional card, but when the
    card fills, the oldest image is deleted. No need for much of a rear
    screen, but it does need an external power socket for mains adaptor or
    solar charges batteries. No need for cunning IR LEDs, just have a
    conventional PIR security light illuminating the general area at night.

    It can be installed (concealed) and forgotten about** until something
    goes wrong when you retrieve the card to see who's been lurking about in
    the last day/week/whatever.

    Such a device could be sold 2-3+ to every home, shop, school, and
    service station in the world. They could be manufactured in huge
    numbers, bringing the price to under $50, easy. Burglary would cease to
    be a career option, as even if they conceal their face near the house,
    they could have been picked up when they were checking out the house
    next door.

    I have seen something like it, for farmers, but at $800 they're in brick
    balloon territory.

    Siiiigh!! We just have to wait for some Chinese entrepreneur to twig to
    the vast profits waiting.

    * to avoid the nonsense of video security cams that are hard-pressed to
    tell the difference between Arnie and R2D2.

    ** apart from clearing cobwebs from the lens occasionally.

    --
    Snufkin

    Snufkin, Apr 21, 2006
  8. El Penguino

    ~misfit~ Guest

    sharktbbtfy wrote:
    > El Penguino wrote:
    >> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
    >> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
    >>
    >> Is the quality any good under such conditions?
    >> Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
    >> to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

    > Motion sensitive?
    >
    > The mind boggles!

    LMAO!!!
    --
    ~Shaun~

    ~misfit~, Apr 21, 2006
  9. El Penguino

    El Penguino Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 13:51:16 +1200, "~misfit~"
    <> wrote:

    >sharktbbtfy wrote:
    >> El Penguino wrote:
    >>> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
    >>> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!
    >>>
    >>> Is the quality any good under such conditions?
    >>> Any recommendations for motion sensitive software or other techniques
    >>> to avoid trawling through hours of footage for the elusive dumper?

    >> Motion sensitive?
    >>
    >> The mind boggles!

    >LMAO!!!

    I think I found "gotcha" security software. All I need now is a crack.

    El Penguino, Apr 21, 2006
  10. El Penguino

    El Penguino Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 11:29:14 +1200, Matty F <>
    wrote:

    >El Penguino wrote:
    >> Wondering if a web cam and some infra-red illumination will identify
    >> the dogs that crap on my lawn in the night!

    >I used to find a pile of dog crap by my letterbox each morning.
    >I trimmed the tree and pointed my sensor light at the letterbox.
    >Next morning the light went on and I saw an old guy and dog
    >scurry off. He used to allow his dog to do that when he walked
    >his dog in the dark, but he's not done it again.
    >
    >I have an old Sony handycam that chews up tapes, but the picture
    >is excellent when I connect it to a TV. I do have some kind of TV
    >capture card but I have no idea how to use it to record only
    >where there is movement.

    You could use a PIR detector and a VCR. Wire the PIR NO contact across
    the REC button and hey presto. Maybe even use a DPDT relay so you can
    also wire the 2nd set of contacts across the stop button.

    Alas, I dont have an old handycam....

    El Penguino, Apr 21, 2006
  11. El Penguino

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Fri, 21 Apr 2006 12:59:38 +1200, Snufkin <> wrote:

    >Such a device could be sold 2-3+ to every home, shop, school, and
    >service station in the world. They could be manufactured in huge
    >numbers, bringing the price to under $50, easy. Burglary would cease to
    >be a career option, as even if they conceal their face near the house,
    >they could have been picked up when they were checking out the house
    >next door.

    You're mistakingly thinking that the people doing the stealing actually give a
    shit about being seen. They don't, they will walk in front of cameras they are
    aware are there and grab whatever they want and walk away with it. Unless they
    are already well known to the police, the chances of them getting caught from
    the picture are sfa.

    Craig Shore, Apr 22, 2006
  12. El Penguino

    Bruce Knox Guest

    Hi,
    I have some software called camsave that may help.
    http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/baggins/comp/programs.html

    It is intended for posting webcam pictures on a website but also works
    quite well as a security camera.

    Best quality is a video camera and capture card. The little CMOS web
    cams tend to have poor lenses and are very noisy in low light.

    Bruce.

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Apr 23, 2006
  13. El Penguino

    El Penguino Guest

    On Sun, 23 Apr 2006 18:41:26 +1200, Bruce Knox
    <> wrote:

    >Hi,
    >I have some software called camsave that may help.
    >http://homepages.paradise.net.nz/baggins/comp/programs.html
    >
    >It is intended for posting webcam pictures on a website but also works
    >quite well as a security camera.
    >
    >Best quality is a video camera and capture card. The little CMOS web
    >cams tend to have poor lenses and are very noisy in low light.

    That looks like it will be worth a crack. Cheers, Bruce

    El Penguino, Apr 24, 2006
  14. El Penguino

    Guest

    I used a free little program called Pryme a while ago, and it was
    pretty good. Not sure if it has motion sensitive stuff though.

    http://www.hilo.dk/pryme.php

    , Apr 24, 2006