Anybody own this filmscanner?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by rich_tintera@yahoo.com, Jul 12, 2007.

  1. Guest

    , Jul 12, 2007

  2. Karl Winkler Guest

    On Jul 11, 10:08 pm, wrote:
    > Hi,
    > This deal looks interesting, and not a bad price:
    >
    > http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp?promo=electronics#
    >
    > Anybody seen one in real life? I've Googled all over trying to find it
    > somewhere else, mayhap with some reviews but no luck.
    > Thanks!
    > Rich

    Looks to be about the quality of that turntable with a USB output,
    i.e. it's certainly nowhere near a pro product or even close. It might
    WORK but I would have serious doubts about the Dmax (dynamic range),
    neutrality of the light source, and the accuracy of the overall image
    color balance.

    Real film scanners cost money but IMO are well worth it if you have a
    fair amount of slides and/or negatives and want to get some decent
    digital image files from them.

    Karl Winkler
    http://www.karlwinkler.com
    http://www.giovanniquartet.com

    Karl Winkler, Jul 12, 2007

  3. Kadin2048 Guest

    In article <>,
    wrote:

    > Hi,
    > This deal looks interesting, and not a bad price:
    >
    > http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp?promo=electronics#
    >
    > Anybody seen one in real life? I've Googled all over trying to find it
    > somewhere else, mayhap with some reviews but no luck.
    > Thanks!
    > Rich

    Well, it's 1829 dpi, and that's one of the numbers they're bragging
    about. If my back-of-the-envelope calculations are correct, that's about
    4.3MP in the total image (keeping in mind the usual caveats about sensor
    pixels and color interpolation; one sensor pixel does not one "real"
    color pixel make). Whether that's good enough for you depends a lot on
    what you're scanning and what you want to do with the images.

    I don't know much about LED light sources, except that it seems like the
    quality of the white LEDs that they use could have a pretty large effect
    on the color gamut. I know that some of the Nikon and Minolta scanners
    use R,G,B LEDs (separate ones) to overcome some of the issues with white
    LEDs (at the time they were manufactured), but I don't really know how
    much of an effect that has. Scanner light sources seems to be a topic of
    much debate, you can read more about it if you want. [1]

    Personally I'd never want to buy a film scanner without knowing the
    DMax, and after buying a scanner that has mediocre DMax and being a
    little disappointed with it, I'd strongly recommend buying "as much DMax
    as you can afford," if you take contrasty photos or want to do a lot of
    negative scanning. (Slides have less dynamic range in them than film,
    and thus are a little easier to scan.)

    But if you just want to scan in a few slides for a project or something,
    I guess the $99 price is tough to beat. I wouldn't view it as an
    archival tool, though.

    Just my $.02.

    -Kadin.

    [1] One thread that turned up and seemed to have some information in it
    about types of LED sources:
    <http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EiGI>

    Kadin2048, Jul 13, 2007
  4. isw Guest

    isw, Jul 13, 2007
  5. Guest

    On Jul 12, 10:19 pm, Kadin2048 <> wrote:
    > In article <>,
    >
    > wrote:
    > > Hi,
    > > This deal looks interesting, and not a bad price:

    > > http://www.hammacher.com/publish/74083.asp?promo=electronics#

    > > Anybody seen one in real life? I've Googled all over trying to find it
    > > somewhere else, mayhap with some reviews but no luck.
    > > Thanks!
    > > Rich

    > Well, it's 1829 dpi, and that's one of the numbers they're bragging
    > about. If my back-of-the-envelope calculations are correct, that's about
    > 4.3MP in the total image (keeping in mind the usual caveats about sensor
    > pixels and color interpolation; one sensor pixel does not one "real"
    > color pixel make). Whether that's good enough for you depends a lot on
    > what you're scanning and what you want to do with the images.
    >
    > I don't know much about LED light sources, except that it seems like the
    > quality of the white LEDs that they use could have a pretty large effect
    > on the color gamut. I know that some of the Nikon and Minolta scanners
    > use R,G,B LEDs (separate ones) to overcome some of the issues with white
    > LEDs (at the time they were manufactured), but I don't really know how
    > much of an effect that has. Scanner light sources seems to be a topic of
    > much debate, you can read more about it if you want. [1]
    >
    > Personally I'd never want to buy a film scanner without knowing the
    > DMax, and after buying a scanner that has mediocre DMax and being a
    > little disappointed with it, I'd strongly recommend buying "as much DMax
    > as you can afford," if you take contrasty photos or want to do a lot of
    > negative scanning. (Slides have less dynamic range in them than film,
    > and thus are a little easier to scan.)
    >
    > But if you just want to scan in a few slides for a project or something,
    > I guess the $99 price is tough to beat. I wouldn't view it as an
    > archival tool, though.
    >
    > Just my $.02.
    >
    > -Kadin.
    >
    > [1] One thread that turned up and seemed to have some information in it
    > about types of LED sources:
    > <http://photo.net/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg?msg_id=00EiGI>

    Thanks Kadin and Karl. I appreciate the input and think I'll keep
    looking. I think a service would be a better fit for my needs.

    Rich

    , Jul 13, 2007