    I'm interested in finding out as much in-depth as I can about how the 64 bit
    edition registry differs from the 32 bit version. A search of the
    knowledgebase at microsoft.com turned up nothing.

    M. Murcek, May 17, 2005

  2. Joseph Conway [MSFT], May 17, 2005

  3. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    M. Murcek, May 17, 2005
  4. M. Murcek

    Jon Grieve Guest

    I think the thing you need to do is, when searching the MSKB, use
    Google. Seriously, the MSKB search facility is utter crap. You either
    get 10,000 article or - more often - none.

    Many, many times I've searched MSKB for something and turned up no
    results. I then turn to Google and it finds the perfect MSKB article at
    hit #1..?!

    Jon Grieve, May 17, 2005
  5. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    How do you point Google at the MSKB? Is there an advanced search tip you
    could share with us?

    M. Murcek, May 17, 2005
  6. M. Murcek

    Jon Grieve Guest

    Well, personally, I use the Google Toolbar which allows you to "Search
    this Site"... I go to the MSKB homepage, then type my search into the
    toolbar window and hit the site search button.

    If you don't use Google Toolbar, go to Google | Advanced Search and
    enter support.microsoft.com in the Domain box to specify that you only
    want results from that site.

    Jon

    Jon Grieve, May 17, 2005
  7. M. Murcek

    James Park Guest

    Alternatively, you could enter something like "site:support.microsoft.com
    keyword1 keyword2 ..."

    James Park, May 17, 2005
  8. M. Murcek

    M. Murcek Guest

    Thanks. I've long been frustrated by the MSKB's unproductive searches.
    This should help.

    M. Murcek, May 17, 2005
  9. M. Murcek

    Jon Grieve Guest

    Yes, that's exactly what the toolbar and advanced options do... they
    both purely put a front-end on doing this. As James states, you can
    achieve the same thing by adding "site:url" to any search.

    Jon Grieve, May 17, 2005
  10. My favourite front end to all searches is DQSD. All sorts of searches built
    in, not just google, though that's the default. It doesn't yet publicly run
    on x64 edition, but it is actively being worked on. Using DQSD, to search the
    ms knowledge base, you'd type "msk <search>"

    --
    Charlie.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, May 18, 2005