    their sites.

    Any help out there?

    JohnF
    JohnF, Feb 17, 2005

  2. JohnF wrote:

    > We're moving our business to Phoenix and the area we're going to has
    > no DSL or cable srevice available. I've been searching Google and
    > found several suppliers but want some decent info not the hype on
    > their sites.
    >
    > Any help out there?
    >
    > JohnF

    It's a little spendy compared to DSL or cable, but it should be quite a
    bit better than dialup for you. Upload speeds are about dialup speed or
    a little better, download works pretty fast, maybe about 750kb. There's
    a big latency issue so online gaming is the pits, but normal business
    use won't have much trouble with it. Weather can be an issue too, but
    Phoenix seems to have a fair amount of sunny days. :p

    Check around to see if there are any WISPs (wireless internet service
    providers) serving your area. Far and away better than satellite.
    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Feb 17, 2005

  3. JohnF

    Guest

    On Thu, 17 Feb 2005 16:14:00 GMT, JohnF <>
    wrote:

    |> We're moving our business to Phoenix and the area we're going to has
    |> no DSL or cable srevice available. I've been searching Google and
    |> found several suppliers but want some decent info not the hype on
    |> their sites.

    I keep messages of interest, Here's one from awhile ago:

    On Wed, 24 Nov 2004 05:33:12 GMT, "Dave" <>
    wrote:

    The two biggies are Direcway ( from (Hughes)Direct TV) and Starband
    (from Dish Network).

    Both companies require you to purchase the equipment. Retail $500 to
    $600 USD. With Starband you can buy a system for $100 and pay $100 a
    month for the first year, $60/mo second year and $50/mo third year.
    (Rounded from $99.96 etc.) Direcway has a similar program with $99.95
    for 15 months.

    Check out Starband at http:www.starband.com

    For info on Direcway goto http://hns.getdway.com/

    Starband runs about $49.95 and Direcway can run up to $99.95 per
    month.

    FCC requirements are that either must be installed by a certified
    technician since mis-aligning the transmitter can screw up the
    satellites.

    Neither is mobile (as in Recreation Vehicle use) unless you have a
    Inet or Motosat system. These are in the $5000 to $6000 price range.
    Some folks are using the systems illegally on RV's. Starband has a
    pilot program where an RV owner can become a certified installer (like
    me, I am on Starband and in a 5th wheel. I have full highspeed
    wherever I go. Starband won't tell up about it on their site)

    Upload speed for satellite is about the same as a 56K modem. Download
    is up to 10 times faster than dial-up. (average is about 50kbs up and
    500kbs down)

    Other options are WiFi wireless networks which require you to be in a
    hot spot to use. This is not an option for a homeowner or someone in a
    rural area.

    Companies like SPRINT and VERIZON offer wireless internet via cell
    phone connections. This is painfully slow and expensive if you use up
    your minutes.

    Bottom line: I have seen all of them in use. Starband and Direcway are
    the best. Forget the rest.

    --
    , Feb 17, 2005