Anybody know a good FREE certificate service?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by Aaron Delp, Jan 24, 2004.

  1. Aaron Delp

    Aaron Delp Guest

    Hey all - I am looking for a FREE reputable certificate service.
    Verisign charges $15 a year so they are out. I have heard of thawte.com
    and they offer free certificates. Anybody use them, any other
    recommendations? Thanks!

    Regards,
    Aaron
     
    Aaron Delp, Jan 24, 2004
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. "Aaron Delp" <> wrote in message
    news:zGAQb.5708$...
    > Hey all - I am looking for a FREE reputable certificate service.
    > Verisign charges $15 a year so they are out. I have heard of thawte.com
    > and they offer free certificates. Anybody use them, any other
    > recommendations? Thanks!


    What sort of certificate?

    You can self-certify or pay for a site cert, but for email Thawte do their
    "web of trust" (or whatever) thing.

    (Basically a bit of a con, IMHO: once you start to look into it, you either
    have to travel the world showing your passport to all and sundry or simply
    pay-up. /I/ certainly wouldn't ascribe any particular trust to such an
    email..).

    Not sure where your browser keeps its certificates, but a look at some of
    the roots might give you a few pointers on places to try.

    HTH

    Hairy One Kenobi

    Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
    reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion
    in the first place. So there!
     
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 24, 2004
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. The Certificates Store can be found by...

    Start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> content --> certificates

    BTW: If you sort by Expiration date, you can delete certificates (and there will be many)
    that have expired (those with dates prior to Today). I don't understand why the OS can't
    auto-delete expired certs.

    Dave



    "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    news:WGBQb.10172$...
    | "Aaron Delp" <> wrote in message
    | news:zGAQb.5708$...
    | > Hey all - I am looking for a FREE reputable certificate service.
    | > Verisign charges $15 a year so they are out. I have heard of thawte.com
    | > and they offer free certificates. Anybody use them, any other
    | > recommendations? Thanks!
    |
    | What sort of certificate?
    |
    | You can self-certify or pay for a site cert, but for email Thawte do their
    | "web of trust" (or whatever) thing.
    |
    | (Basically a bit of a con, IMHO: once you start to look into it, you either
    | have to travel the world showing your passport to all and sundry or simply
    | pay-up. /I/ certainly wouldn't ascribe any particular trust to such an
    | email..).
    |
    | Not sure where your browser keeps its certificates, but a look at some of
    | the roots might give you a few pointers on places to try.
    |
    | HTH
    |
    | Hairy One Kenobi
    |
    | Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
    | reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion
    | in the first place. So there!
    |
    |
     
    David H. Lipman, Jan 25, 2004
    #3
  4. "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    news:EwEQb.4917$...
    > The Certificates Store can be found by...
    >
    > Start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> content -->

    certificates
    >
    > BTW: If you sort by Expiration date, you can delete certificates (and

    there will be many)
    > that have expired (those with dates prior to Today). I don't understand

    why the OS can't
    > auto-delete expired certs.


    Mozilla too? That's what he was using..

    H1K

    > "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > news:WGBQb.10172$...
    > | "Aaron Delp" <> wrote in message
    > | news:zGAQb.5708$...
    > | > Hey all - I am looking for a FREE reputable certificate service.
    > | > Verisign charges $15 a year so they are out. I have heard of

    thawte.com
    > | > and they offer free certificates. Anybody use them, any other
    > | > recommendations? Thanks!
    > |
    > | What sort of certificate?
    > |
    > | You can self-certify or pay for a site cert, but for email Thawte do

    their
    > | "web of trust" (or whatever) thing.
    > |
    > | (Basically a bit of a con, IMHO: once you start to look into it, you

    either
    > | have to travel the world showing your passport to all and sundry or

    simply
    > | pay-up. /I/ certainly wouldn't ascribe any particular trust to such an
    > | email..).
    > |
    > | Not sure where your browser keeps its certificates, but a look at some

    of
    > | the roots might give you a few pointers on places to try.
     
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 25, 2004
    #4
  5. I missed that. I know Netscape has its own Cert. Store, I assume Moziilla would too.

    Dave



    "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    news:w7FQb.10309$...
    | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    | news:EwEQb.4917$...
    | > The Certificates Store can be found by...
    | >
    | > Start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> content -->
    | certificates
    | >
    | > BTW: If you sort by Expiration date, you can delete certificates (and
    | there will be many)
    | > that have expired (those with dates prior to Today). I don't understand
    | why the OS can't
    | > auto-delete expired certs.
    |
    | Mozilla too? That's what he was using..
    |
    | H1K
    |
    | > "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    | > news:WGBQb.10172$...
    | > | "Aaron Delp" <> wrote in message
    | > | news:zGAQb.5708$...
    | > | > Hey all - I am looking for a FREE reputable certificate service.
    | > | > Verisign charges $15 a year so they are out. I have heard of
    | thawte.com
    | > | > and they offer free certificates. Anybody use them, any other
    | > | > recommendations? Thanks!
    | > |
    | > | What sort of certificate?
    | > |
    | > | You can self-certify or pay for a site cert, but for email Thawte do
    | their
    | > | "web of trust" (or whatever) thing.
    | > |
    | > | (Basically a bit of a con, IMHO: once you start to look into it, you
    | either
    | > | have to travel the world showing your passport to all and sundry or
    | simply
    | > | pay-up. /I/ certainly wouldn't ascribe any particular trust to such an
    | > | email..).
    | > |
    | > | Not sure where your browser keeps its certificates, but a look at some
    | of
    | > | the roots might give you a few pointers on places to try.
    |
    |
     
    David H. Lipman, Jan 25, 2004
    #5
  6. Aaron Delp

    Aaron Delp Guest

    I was just looking for a certificate for e-mail to sign and encrypt.
    That is good to know about their program. I saw it was free and I came
    across a few people who used it but I am just skeptical of any funny
    programs. As much as I hate to say it these days, I don't do ANYTHING
    for free on the Internet without checking it out anymore.

    Regards,
    Aaron
    Hairy One Kenobi wrote:

    > "Aaron Delp" <> wrote in message
    > news:zGAQb.5708$...
    >
    >>Hey all - I am looking for a FREE reputable certificate service.
    >>Verisign charges $15 a year so they are out. I have heard of thawte.com
    >>and they offer free certificates. Anybody use them, any other
    >>recommendations? Thanks!

    >
    >
    > What sort of certificate?
    >
    > You can self-certify or pay for a site cert, but for email Thawte do their
    > "web of trust" (or whatever) thing.
    >
    > (Basically a bit of a con, IMHO: once you start to look into it, you either
    > have to travel the world showing your passport to all and sundry or simply
    > pay-up. /I/ certainly wouldn't ascribe any particular trust to such an
    > email..).
    >
    > Not sure where your browser keeps its certificates, but a look at some of
    > the roots might give you a few pointers on places to try.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Hairy One Kenobi
    >
    > Disclaimer: the opinions expressed in this opinion do not necessarily
    > reflect the opinions of the highly-opinionated person expressing the opinion
    > in the first place. So there!
    >
    >
     
    Aaron Delp, Jan 25, 2004
    #6
  7. Aaron Delp

    Aaron Delp Guest

    Mozilla does, Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Certificates
    -> Manage Certificates.

    Regards,
    Aaron

    David H. Lipman wrote:

    > I missed that. I know Netscape has its own Cert. Store, I assume Moziilla would too.
    >
    > Dave
    >
    >
    >
    > "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > news:w7FQb.10309$...
    > | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    > | news:EwEQb.4917$...
    > | > The Certificates Store can be found by...
    > | >
    > | > Start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options --> content -->
    > | certificates
    > | >
    > | > BTW: If you sort by Expiration date, you can delete certificates (and
    > | there will be many)
    > | > that have expired (those with dates prior to Today). I don't understand
    > | why the OS can't
    > | > auto-delete expired certs.
    > |
    > | Mozilla too? That's what he was using..
    > |
    > | H1K
    > |
    > | > "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    > | > news:WGBQb.10172$...
    > | > | "Aaron Delp" <> wrote in message
    > | > | news:zGAQb.5708$...
    > | > | > Hey all - I am looking for a FREE reputable certificate service.
    > | > | > Verisign charges $15 a year so they are out. I have heard of
    > | thawte.com
    > | > | > and they offer free certificates. Anybody use them, any other
    > | > | > recommendations? Thanks!
    > | > |
    > | > | What sort of certificate?
    > | > |
    > | > | You can self-certify or pay for a site cert, but for email Thawte do
    > | their
    > | > | "web of trust" (or whatever) thing.
    > | > |
    > | > | (Basically a bit of a con, IMHO: once you start to look into it, you
    > | either
    > | > | have to travel the world showing your passport to all and sundry or
    > | simply
    > | > | pay-up. /I/ certainly wouldn't ascribe any particular trust to such an
    > | > | email..).
    > | > |
    > | > | Not sure where your browser keeps its certificates, but a look at some
    > | of
    > | > | the roots might give you a few pointers on places to try.
    > |
    > |
    >
    >
     
    Aaron Delp, Jan 25, 2004
    #7
  8. Aaron Delp wrote:
    > Mozilla does, Edit -> Preferences -> Privacy & Security -> Certificates
    > -> Manage Certificates.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Aaron
    >
    > David H. Lipman wrote:
    >
    >> I missed that. I know Netscape has its own Cert. Store, I assume
    >> Moziilla would too.
    >>
    >> Dave
    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    >> news:w7FQb.10309$...
    >> | "David H. Lipman" <DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net> wrote in message
    >> | news:EwEQb.4917$...
    >> | > The Certificates Store can be found by...
    >> | >
    >> | > Start --> settings --> control panel --> internet options -->
    >> content -->
    >> | certificates
    >> | >
    >> | > BTW: If you sort by Expiration date, you can delete certificates
    >> (and
    >> | there will be many)
    >> | > that have expired (those with dates prior to Today). I don't
    >> understand
    >> | why the OS can't
    >> | > auto-delete expired certs.
    >> |
    >> | Mozilla too? That's what he was using..
    >> |
    >> | H1K
    >> |
    >> | > "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message
    >> | > news:WGBQb.10172$...
    >> | > | "Aaron Delp" <> wrote in message
    >> | > | news:zGAQb.5708$...
    >> | > | > Hey all - I am looking for a FREE reputable certificate service.
    >> | > | > Verisign charges $15 a year so they are out. I have heard of
    >> | thawte.com
    >> | > | > and they offer free certificates. Anybody use them, any other
    >> | > | > recommendations? Thanks!
    >> | > |
    >> | > | What sort of certificate?
    >> | > |
    >> | > | You can self-certify or pay for a site cert, but for email
    >> Thawte do
    >> | their
    >> | > | "web of trust" (or whatever) thing.
    >> | > |
    >> | > | (Basically a bit of a con, IMHO: once you start to look into it,
    >> you
    >> | either
    >> | > | have to travel the world showing your passport to all and sundry or
    >> | simply
    >> | > | pay-up. /I/ certainly wouldn't ascribe any particular trust to
    >> such an
    >> | > | email..).
    >> | > |
    >> | > | Not sure where your browser keeps its certificates, but a look
    >> at some
    >> | of
    >> | > | the roots might give you a few pointers on places to try.
    >> |
    >> |
    >>
    >>

    Checked out my Moz Cert Manager and apparently I've got loads of certs.
    I don't recall subscribing to any of these. Should I be concerned?
    What's the consequences of deleting them all?

    --
    Regards.

    Chris.
    Please remove MAPSON (NOSPAM backwards) to reply to me by email.
     
    Chris Mitchell, Jan 26, 2004
    #8
  9. "Chris Mitchell" <> wrote in message
    news:bv24rm$pjj$...
    > Aaron Delp wrote:


    <snip>

    > Checked out my Moz Cert Manager and apparently I've got loads of certs.
    > I don't recall subscribing to any of these. Should I be concerned?
    > What's the consequences of deleting them all?


    You will either get a warning each time you open something that's signed.
    Depending upon settings, things might just stop working without the warning.

    They're there for a reason..

    H1K
     
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 26, 2004
    #9
  10. Aaron Delp

    Pete Guest

    On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:44:21 -0000, whilst in NewsFroup
    alt.computer.security, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> articulated
    the following sentiments :

    >What sort of certificate?
    >
    >You can self-certify or pay for a site cert, but for email Thawte do their
    >"web of trust" (or whatever) thing.
    >
    >(Basically a bit of a con, IMHO: once you start to look into it, you either
    >have to travel the world showing your passport to all and sundry or simply
    >pay-up. /I/ certainly wouldn't ascribe any particular trust to such an
    >email..).


    If you join the Thawte Web Of Trust, you can simply find notaries in your
    area who you meet personally. No travelling the world necessary. It's no
    different than meeting someone and exchanging PGP keys personally.

    You do have to submit some information that some would be unhappy submitting
    to get the free email certificate in the first place. To get your name on
    it, you meet with notaries in your area, face to face, and they verify that
    you are who you say you are, and vice versa. You get so many points awarded
    for each notary who verifies you. When you reach the required level of
    points, you can then download your new email certificate with your name on
    it.

    It boils down to how badly you want this kind of validation. You could say
    it's not free, as you have to travel to meet people, admittedly not that far
    if you check the site properly, but you do have to travel.

    It's all explained on the Thawte site, and questions via email are answered
    quite promptly.

    http://www.thawte.com/html/COMMUNITY/personal/index.html

    Pete.
     
    Pete, Jan 27, 2004
    #10
  11. "Pete" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Sat, 24 Jan 2004 21:44:21 -0000, whilst in NewsFroup
    > alt.computer.security, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> articulated
    > the following sentiments :
    >
    > >What sort of certificate?
    > >
    > >You can self-certify or pay for a site cert, but for email Thawte do

    their
    > >"web of trust" (or whatever) thing.
    > >
    > >(Basically a bit of a con, IMHO: once you start to look into it, you

    either
    > >have to travel the world showing your passport to all and sundry or

    simply
    > >pay-up. /I/ certainly wouldn't ascribe any particular trust to such an
    > >email..).

    >
    > If you join the Thawte Web Of Trust, you can simply find notaries in your
    > area who you meet personally. No travelling the world necessary. It's no
    > different than meeting someone and exchanging PGP keys personally.


    Quite. They don't list the areas covered, so I'd assume that there are
    near-zero here in the UK.

    > You do have to submit some information that some would be unhappy

    submitting
    > to get the free email certificate in the first place. To get your name on
    > it, you meet with notaries in your area, face to face, and they verify

    that
    > you are who you say you are, and vice versa. You get so many points

    awarded
    > for each notary who verifies you. When you reach the required level of
    > points, you can then download your new email certificate with your name on
    > it.


    Quite - if you look at the maximum number of points that can be awarded,
    that's a *lot* of people to visit. You need 50 points to be named, and 100
    points to become a notary. At this point you can assign 10 points - meaning
    that you've had to find 10 people just to start with.

    And, as a new user, you need to find five of /those/.

    > It boils down to how badly you want this kind of validation. You could say
    > it's not free, as you have to travel to meet people, admittedly not that

    far
    > if you check the site properly, but you do have to travel.
    >
    > It's all explained on the Thawte site, and questions via email are

    answered
    > quite promptly.
    >
    > http://www.thawte.com/html/COMMUNITY/personal/index.html


    IMHO, a certificate that isn't validated is worthless as a gauge to
    accuracy - they're after the $25..

    H1K
     
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 27, 2004
    #11
  12. Aaron Delp

    Pete Guest

    On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:46:39 -0000, whilst in NewsFroup
    alt.computer.security, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> articulated
    the following sentiments :

    <snip>

    >> If you join the Thawte Web Of Trust, you can simply find notaries in your
    >> area who you meet personally. No travelling the world necessary. It's no
    >> different than meeting someone and exchanging PGP keys personally.

    >
    >Quite. They don't list the areas covered, so I'd assume that there are
    >near-zero here in the UK.


    I didn't find this to be the case at all. All major cities in the UK were
    covered. How many notaries in each city they are, I don't know, as I
    obviously went to my local area. Found 3. Chose 1.

    <snip>

    >Quite - if you look at the maximum number of points that can be awarded,
    >that's a *lot* of people to visit. You need 50 points to be named, and 100
    >points to become a notary. At this point you can assign 10 points - meaning
    >that you've had to find 10 people just to start with.


    Quite a lot of the time, they do 'round-robin' meetings, where you can get
    all your points in one meeting. If you are identified by a Thawte employee,
    you get full 'name' status instantly. It also depends whether the people you
    meet are say married, and both are notaries, that's 20 points in a one-er.


    <snip>

    >IMHO, a certificate that isn't validated is worthless as a gauge to
    >accuracy - they're after the $25..


    I've paid nothing to Thawte. As I said before, the 'catch' if you will is
    submitting information to them that some may be unhappy with, at least it
    was in my case. It also depends on how far you want to take it, whether just
    to get 'name' status, or become a notary. Name status is all I need, or
    want.

    Of course they want money off you for providing services, but with the
    options I've chosen, I've not paid a penny, except maybe in petrol money,
    which was my choice of course, and wasn't really that much at all.

    The reason I even considered getting a Thawte email certificate, was to
    satisfy my own 'need' for a type of validation, and to try and find an
    easier way to integrate it with my regular mail contacts, who are still
    convinced I'm talking about a brand of tea when I mention PGP.

    Guess what now ? The certificates are causing emails not to open immediately
    according to some. Personally I think it's a server problem at their
    company, as it only happens with them, but I email them the most. Don't you
    just hate Sod's Law ?

    Pete.
     
    Pete, Jan 27, 2004
    #12
  13. "Pete" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > On Tue, 27 Jan 2004 08:46:39 -0000, whilst in NewsFroup
    > alt.computer.security, "Hairy One Kenobi" <abuse@[127.0.0.1]> articulated
    > the following sentiments :
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > >> If you join the Thawte Web Of Trust, you can simply find notaries in

    your
    > >> area who you meet personally. No travelling the world necessary. It's

    no
    > >> different than meeting someone and exchanging PGP keys personally.

    > >
    > >Quite. They don't list the areas covered, so I'd assume that there are
    > >near-zero here in the UK.

    >
    > I didn't find this to be the case at all. All major cities in the UK were
    > covered. How many notaries in each city they are, I don't know, as I
    > obviously went to my local area. Found 3. Chose 1.


    <big snip>

    Ah - that's interesting. (Call me suspicious, but when the whole things
    depends on geography, and they don't publish even vague hints..)

    OOI - and if it's not too much trouble - would it be possible to look up the
    area around Reading? Just the overall number of peeps, I hasten to add
    (given that's about 80% of the UK IT industry, if it's expected to work
    anywhere..)

    Thanks,

    H1K

    P.S. My view on the validity are unchanged.. it's just for curiosity.
     
    Hairy One Kenobi, Jan 28, 2004
    #13
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Replies:
    2
    Views:
    377
    ASAAR
    Aug 2, 2005
  2. ghost
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    260
    shlomo
    Jul 9, 2006
  3. Michael Lang

    Does anybody here know a good memory card FAQ site?

    Michael Lang, Nov 8, 2006, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    330
    Phil Wheeler
    Nov 8, 2006
  4. Ryan Smith

    anybody know how to get a free copy of powerpoint?

    Ryan Smith, Jan 26, 2006, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    356
    Ryan Smith
    Jan 26, 2006
  5. Heidi Manway

    Anyone Know a Good Music Video On Demand Service??

    Heidi Manway, Jan 14, 2007, in forum: Computer Support
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    732
Loading...

Share This Page