    Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
    gratefully received

    Thanks in advance
    Artie Fishol, Jan 16, 2006

  2. Artie Fishol

    steve Guest

    Artie Fishol wrote:

    > Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
    > by a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
    >
    > When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
    > previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
    > installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
    > FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
    > load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
    > the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
    > and I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
    > help... (desperation move).
    > Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
    > gratefully received
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You could try re-partitioning it with a Linux "live" bootable CD (Knoppix or
    some other)......as Linux partitition tools typically can see and work with
    a much wider range of disc structures than XP can.

    I would re-partition with a bootable Linux CD.....then try again.

    I'm sure there are other answers.....but this isn't a bad one. :)
    steve, Jan 16, 2006

  3. Artie Fishol

    Artie Fishol Guest

    "steve" <> wrote in message
    > Artie Fishol wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
    > > by a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
    > >
    > > When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
    > > previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
    > > installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
    > > FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try

    > > load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to

    read
    > > the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
    > > and I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
    > > help... (desperation move).
    > > Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would

    be
    > > gratefully received
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

    > You could try re-partitioning it with a Linux "live" bootable CD (Knoppix

    or
    > some other)......as Linux partitition tools typically can see and work

    with
    > a much wider range of disc structures than XP can.
    >
    > I would re-partition with a bootable Linux CD.....then try again.
    >
    > I'm sure there are other answers.....but this isn't a bad one. :)

    Thanks for your reply, I'll try that.
    Artie Fishol, Jan 16, 2006
  4. Artie Fishol wrote:
    > Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted by
    > a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
    >
    > When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
    > previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
    > installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
    > FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
    > load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
    > the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems and
    > I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might help...
    > (desperation move).
    > Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
    > gratefully received
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You may have managed to create a partition structure which thinks the drive is
    bigger than the drive thinks it is ... try making the last partition slightly
    smaller.
    Mark Robinson, Jan 16, 2006
  5. Artie Fishol

    T A R T Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 08:14:36 +0100, Artie Fishol <> wrote:

    > Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
    > by
    > a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
    >
    > When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
    > previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
    > installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
    > FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try
    > load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to
    > read
    > the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
    > and
    > I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might help...
    > (desperation move).
    > Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
    > gratefully received
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    I think I had this very problem about a week ago... but perhaps my case is
    different. I had two HDDs in the system. Removing one and then installing
    XP on the primary master seemed to work ok. I then attached the 2nd HDD
    once everything was done.
    Worked out well, after much frustration.

    My wife is a big beautiful Nubian queen. I prefer her any day to the media
    and fashion industry created ideal of a beautiful woman. Many African men
    regard and appreciate a plump, robust, and shapely female as a gracious
    gift from the holy hosts of heaven.

    Anthony Okosun, Baltimore, USA.
    T A R T, Jan 16, 2006
  6. Artie Fishol

    Rob J Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > Artie Fishol wrote:
    >
    > > Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
    > > by a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
    > >
    > > When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
    > > previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
    > > installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
    > > FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
    > > load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
    > > the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
    > > and I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
    > > help... (desperation move).
    > > Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
    > > gratefully received
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance

    > You could try re-partitioning it with a Linux "live" bootable CD (Knoppix or
    > some other)......as Linux partitition tools typically can see and work with
    > a much wider range of disc structures than XP can.
    >
    > I would re-partition with a bootable Linux CD.....then try again.
    >
    > I'm sure there are other answers.....but this isn't a bad one. :)

    It is. You shouldn't rely on non-Windows tools to partition Windows
    discs.
    Rob J, Jan 16, 2006
  7. Artie Fishol

    Steve Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 20:14:36 +1300, Artie Fishol wrote:

    > Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted by
    > a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
    >
    > When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
    > previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
    > installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
    > FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
    > load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
    > the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems and
    > I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might help...
    > (desperation move).
    > Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
    > gratefully received
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    Is your disk set to 'Cable Select', and not 'Primary' or 'Secondary'? I've
    had problems when I haven't used CS.

    Steve
    Steve, Jan 16, 2006
  8. Artie Fishol

    PC Guest

    "Artie Fishol" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was formatted
    > by
    > a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
    >
    > When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive (was
    > previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as the
    > installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both NTFS and
    > FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully. But when I try to
    > load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads that it is unable to read
    > the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh? Scandisk can find no problems
    > and
    > I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might help...
    > (desperation move).
    > Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they would be
    > gratefully received
    >
    > Thanks in advance

    You may need to go to the drive manufacturers website and download their
    Utilities program and use this to 'Zero' the drive.
    (write zero's to every part of the drive)
    Takes some time but you end up with 'all' the corrupted data on the drive
    cleared away.
    XP's install routine should then see a new unpartitioned drive and install
    as normal.

    The manufacturers utility will also have a short and long test routine in it
    that will be worth running first.

    Cheers
    Paul.
    PC, Jan 17, 2006
  9. Artie Fishol

    ~misfit~ Guest

    PC wrote:
    > "Artie Fishol" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was
    >> formatted by
    >> a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
    >>
    >> When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive
    >> (was previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as
    >> the installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both
    >> NTFS and FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully.
    >> But when I try to load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads
    >> that it is unable to read the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh?
    >> Scandisk can find no problems and
    >> I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
    >> help... (desperation move).
    >> Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they
    >> would be gratefully received
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance
    >>

    > You may need to go to the drive manufacturers website and download
    > their Utilities program and use this to 'Zero' the drive.
    > (write zero's to every part of the drive)
    > Takes some time but you end up with 'all' the corrupted data on the
    > drive cleared away.
    > XP's install routine should then see a new unpartitioned drive and
    > install as normal.
    >
    > The manufacturers utility will also have a short and long test
    > routine in it that will be worth running first.

    I've found that not all manufacturers look after their customers so well. I
    have a Samsung 80GB drive that the previous owner allowed to get too hot so
    that now won't boot and I can't get Windows to set up on it. (I use it for
    data, it's fine for that. Every time I defrag it however it tells me
    certain parts of the MFT are corrupt/lost). I didn't have any luck finding a
    decent ultility from Samsung to diagnose/repair it.

    However, I have Seagate Seatools on a bootable CD-R in my drawer. It's
    excellent and virtually all my drives are are Seagate anyway.
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 17, 2006
  10. Artie Fishol

    Sharktyymbfj Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > PC wrote:
    >> "Artie Fishol" <> wrote in message
    >>> Hi, just been trying to re-install XP on a hard drive that was
    >>> formatted by
    >>> a friend of mine, and am running out of ideas.
    >>>
    >>> When my friend tried to install XP on his freshly formatted drive
    >>> (was previously running XP) all he got was a flash on the monitor as
    >>> the installation began. I have since tried reformatting it in both
    >>> NTFS and FAT32 which the message says has been done successfully.
    >>> But when I try to load Windows - both XP and 98. The message reads
    >>> that it is unable to read the last 2 clusters on the drive--- Huh?
    >>> Scandisk can find no problems and
    >>> I even tried resizing the partition in the hope that this might
    >>> help... (desperation move).
    >>> Don't know what else to try. so if you have any suggestions they
    >>> would be gratefully received
    >>>
    >>> Thanks in advance
    >>>

    >> You may need to go to the drive manufacturers website and download
    >> their Utilities program and use this to 'Zero' the drive.
    >> (write zero's to every part of the drive)
    >> Takes some time but you end up with 'all' the corrupted data on the
    >> drive cleared away.
    >> XP's install routine should then see a new unpartitioned drive and
    >> install as normal.
    >>
    >> The manufacturers utility will also have a short and long test
    >> routine in it that will be worth running first.

    > I've found that not all manufacturers look after their customers so well.
    > have a Samsung 80GB drive that the previous owner allowed to get too hot
    > so that now won't boot and I can't get Windows to set up on it. (I use it
    > for
    > data, it's fine for that. Every time I defrag it however it tells me
    > certain parts of the MFT are corrupt/lost). I didn't have any luck finding
    > decent ultility from Samsung to diagnose/repair it.
    >
    > However, I have Seagate Seatools on a bootable CD-R in my drawer. It's
    > excellent and virtually all my drives are are Seagate anyway.

    You do know that you can use Seatools to diagnose other makes of drives,
    don't you?

    --
    Sharktyymbfj

    Newsgroups - For those who can't afford vanity publishing.
    Sharktyymbfj, Jan 18, 2006
  11. Artie Fishol

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sharktyymbfj wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> PC wrote:
    >>> "Artie Fishol" <> wrote in message

    >>> You may need to go to the drive manufacturers website and download
    >>> their Utilities program and use this to 'Zero' the drive.
    >>> (write zero's to every part of the drive)
    >>> Takes some time but you end up with 'all' the corrupted data on the
    >>> drive cleared away.
    >>> XP's install routine should then see a new unpartitioned drive and
    >>> install as normal.
    >>>
    >>> The manufacturers utility will also have a short and long test
    >>> routine in it that will be worth running first.

    >> I've found that not all manufacturers look after their customers so
    >> well. I
    >> have a Samsung 80GB drive that the previous owner allowed to get too
    >> hot so that now won't boot and I can't get Windows to set up on it.
    >> (I use it for
    >> data, it's fine for that. Every time I defrag it however it tells me
    >> certain parts of the MFT are corrupt/lost). I didn't have any luck
    >> finding a
    >> decent ultility from Samsung to diagnose/repair it.
    >>
    >> However, I have Seagate Seatools on a bootable CD-R in my drawer.
    >> It's excellent and virtually all my drives are Seagate anyway.

    > You do know that you can use Seatools to diagnose other makes of
    > drives, don't you?

    No, I didn't. That'll teach me to RTFM won't it? :)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 18, 2006
  12. Could be that the boot partition has something screwed up?
    If you can boot the system up on a floppy with fdisk on it, try
    "fdisk /mbr"
    (I think this resets the boot table???)
    I have had to do this on a recent upgrade myself on a new hard drive & XP
    Pro.
    Just a thought.

    Otis.

    Otis E Levator, Jan 18, 2006
  13. Artie Fishol

    Sharktyymbfj Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > Sharktyymbfj wrote:
    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> I've found that not all manufacturers look after their customers so
    >>> well. I
    >>> have a Samsung 80GB drive that the previous owner allowed to get too
    >>> hot so that now won't boot and I can't get Windows to set up on it.
    >>> (I use it for
    >>> data, it's fine for that. Every time I defrag it however it tells me
    >>> certain parts of the MFT are corrupt/lost). I didn't have any luck
    >>> finding a
    >>> decent ultility from Samsung to diagnose/repair it.
    >>>
    >>> However, I have Seagate Seatools on a bootable CD-R in my drawer.
    >>> It's excellent and virtually all my drives are Seagate anyway.

    >> You do know that you can use Seatools to diagnose other makes of
    >> drives, don't you?

    > No, I didn't. That'll teach me to RTFM won't it? :)

    We're men! We don't do manuals!

    Sharktyymbfj, Jan 18, 2006
  14. Artie Fishol

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Sharktyymbfj wrote:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> Sharktyymbfj wrote:
    >>>
    >>> You do know that you can use Seatools to diagnose other makes of
    >>> drives, don't you?

    >> No, I didn't. That'll teach me to RTFM won't it? :)

    > We're men! We don't do manuals!

    LOL, I must remember that. ;-)
    --
    ~misfit~
    ~misfit~, Jan 18, 2006
  15. Artie Fishol

    Artie Fishol Guest

    Thanks for all your help

    - after downloading the diagnostics and disk tools from the manufacturers
    website (one of which re-partitioned the drive) I was able to use the DOS
    scandisk from the windows 98 startup disk to find some bad sectors which
    don't show using windows scandisk. I am assuming that the manufacturers
    re-partition "exposed" the bad sectors and allowed the old (and slow)
    scandisk to spot them - Who Knows - anyway it seems to work

    Thanks again

    Artie

    Artie Fishol, Jan 20, 2006