    (because it was written for "a different" OS)?

    BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
    usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

    Ken Scharf, Aug 21, 2004

  2. Ken Scharf

    ColynG© Guest

    On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:42:10 -0400, Ken Scharf
    <> wrote:

    >I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
    >have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
    >Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    >
    >Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    >who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    >(because it was written for "a different" OS)?
    >
    >BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
    >usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

    I have a machine with Suse Linux v9.

    I'm still learning to use it though.

    I use Gimp but prefer Photo Shop.

    Colyn Goodson

    email hidden

    http://www.colyngoodson.com

    ColynG©, Aug 21, 2004

  3. Ken Scharf

    PieterB Guest

    Op Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:42:10 -0400, schreef Ken Scharf:

    > I am running Linux on my home computer, and I have been using the GIMP
    > (that's Gnu Image Manipulation Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    >
    > Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there who DON'T use the
    > software that came with your camera (because it was written for "a
    > different" OS)?
    >
    > BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another usefull digicam program
    > called Gphoto.

    I use Linux too, but with Crossover Office so I can run
    Photoshop 7 (not CS..) I mount my digitale camera's as a
    mass drive(r) and scan my analog photo's (which I prefer)
    with vuescan.

    --
    mvg Pieter Baele
    [JID]

    PieterB, Aug 21, 2004
  4. In article <m5KVc.5989$>, Ken Scharf
    <> wrote:

    > I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
    > have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
    > Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    >
    > Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    > who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    > (because it was written for "a different" OS)?
    >
    > BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
    > usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

    *cough* loser *cough*

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 21, 2004
  5. On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:42:10 -0400, Ken Scharf hath writ:
    > I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
    > have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
    > Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    >
    > Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    > who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    > (because it was written for "a different" OS)?
    >
    > BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
    > usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

    At a minimum, there is: comp.graphics.apps.gimp

    Allodoxaphobia, Aug 21, 2004
  6. In article <m5KVc.5989$>,
    Ken Scharf <> wrote:
    >I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
    >have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
    >Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    >
    >Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    >who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    >(because it was written for "a different" OS)?

    Debian Linux here, camera mounts via USB and VueScan is used for scanning
    slides via SCSI slide scanner.

    XV & GIMP to view & manipulate (& print) images.

    Gordon

    Gordon Henderson, Aug 21, 2004
  7. Some of us lucky people get to use Linux, bust most of the world
    is stuck using that microsoft crap......

    Unlike Randall Ainsworth <> who
    admits in his reply to being a :
    *cough* loser *cough*
    problably because he is one of those poor brain-washed MicroSurfs
    who believes the pro MicroSoft hype. I mean if Linux is so good why don't cameras come with Linux software in the box instead of programs for Windows.
    There is a really good reason for this... the standard versions of Linux have a great photo-editing program included called GIMP (www.gimp.org), and a program called Gphoto (http://www.gphoto.org/) which cam connect to most digital cammeras out there.
    Yeah it really sucks that with the software on the the Linux CDs I can use all the hardware connected to my computer.... I don't need to have lots of CDs with drivers.

    Well that's my 2 cents worth....

    Rodrick Dalton, Aug 21, 2004
  8. Ken Scharf

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Rodrick Dalton wrote:

    > Some of us lucky people get to use Linux, bust most of the world
    > is stuck using that microsoft crap......

    Uhhh .. seems like anyone can use Linux if they so choose; no one is
    "stuck".

    I have Linux installed on a couple of machines. So far its utility,
    other than as an anti-Microsoft gesture, is limited. There is a wide
    range of apps, but most of the special ones I use in the Windows
    environment do not exist for Linux. And some hardware issues (e.g.,
    wireless LAN with Centrino) are much more tedious to deal with.

    No issues with Linux -- but knee-jerk Microsoft bashing is silly.

    Phil

    Phil Wheeler, Aug 21, 2004
  9. Ken Scharf

    Hils Guest

    Ken Scharf wrote

    >I'm happy with the Gimp, perhaps because I never used Photoshop
    >first. The Gimp can do almost everything that PS does, and a
    >few things it can't. However once you've learned PS, you probably
    >wouldn't want to switch to the gimp. Big re-learning curve.

    The most noticeable difference I found between them was that on
    identical hardware PS ran significantly faster.

    --
    Hil

    Hils, Aug 21, 2004
  10. Ken Scharf

    Ken Scharf Guest

    Phil Wheeler wrote:

    > Rodrick Dalton wrote:
    >
    >> Some of us lucky people get to use Linux, bust most of the world is
    >> stuck using that microsoft crap......
    >>

    > Uhhh .. seems like anyone can use Linux if they so choose; no one is
    > "stuck".
    >
    > I have Linux installed on a couple of machines. So far its utility,
    > other than as an anti-Microsoft gesture, is limited. There is a wide
    > range of apps, but most of the special ones I use in the Windows
    > environment do not exist for Linux. And some hardware issues (e.g.,
    > wireless LAN with Centrino) are much more tedious to deal with.
    >
    > No issues with Linux -- but knee-jerk Microsoft bashing is silly.
    >
    > Phil

    Most of the reasons for bashing M$ are political. There are
    some real grips about their software not being secure, but
    if you only ran Linux as Root you might have security problems
    as well.
    Since I tend to build my own computers from
    parts rather than just throwing coin at Dell or Gateway, I like
    putting the OS together as well. I used to run Debian here,
    I've switched to Gentoo as it's easier to have the latest
    version of everything with Gentoo.

    Software engineers (such as myself) probably see more to Linux
    than the casual user because of all the really great (and free)
    software development tools available for Linux. (not that there
    aren't good sw tools for windows, but some are rather expensive.)

    Eventually I just might get Win4Lin installed so I can run
    windows on top of Linux for those few must have applications
    (games mostly) that just won't run under Linux any other way.
    Maybe one day win4lin will support XP, right now it's only
    good for 95-ME.

    Ken Scharf, Aug 21, 2004
  11. Ken Scharf <> writes:

    > I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
    > have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
    > Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    >
    > Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    > who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    > (because it was written for "a different" OS)?
    >
    > BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
    > usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

    I've been a UNIX user off and on since 1978 or so, and a Linux user since 1994.
    I use homegrown perl scripts to automate the processing of building my web
    site, and mostly use Imagemagick to do my editing (both through the command
    line, and increasingly with perl's Image::Magick), though I'm starting to use
    GIMP as well. I also use jhead and Image::Info in building the web site. I've
    only used gphoto2 to test it out, but I haven't used it in practice.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:

    Michael Meissner, Aug 21, 2004
  12. Ken Scharf

    jean Guest

    I use Linux too, but I find applications either hard to get ot hard to keep
    running. I used Compupic under RH8 but as soon as I upgraded to RH9, it
    would not run, something to do with the graphics libraries or a version of
    "C" which used different libraries. I have sonce been looking for a free,
    fast image viewer but so far I have not found anything that comes close to
    Irfanview in the Linux world. As for printer drivers for my Canon i950 or
    my Canon S330, nothing free, there is a German outfit which has the drivers
    but they are not free. I know this is Canon's responsability and I have
    signaled them about it. Unless the hardware is very plain or required to
    play FPS games, there is very limited support.

    It has come a long ways, but there is still some work to be done.

    Jean

    jean, Aug 21, 2004
  13. In article <wVLVc.14240$>, Phil Wheeler
    <> wrote:

    > Rodrick Dalton wrote:
    >
    > > Some of us lucky people get to use Linux, bust most of the world
    > > is stuck using that microsoft crap......
    > >

    > Uhhh .. seems like anyone can use Linux if they so choose; no one is
    > "stuck".
    >
    > I have Linux installed on a couple of machines. So far its utility,
    > other than as an anti-Microsoft gesture, is limited. There is a wide
    > range of apps, but most of the special ones I use in the Windows
    > environment do not exist for Linux. And some hardware issues (e.g.,
    > wireless LAN with Centrino) are much more tedious to deal with.
    >
    > No issues with Linux -- but knee-jerk Microsoft bashing is silly.

    No, I use a Mac for my personal equipment. But you Linux dorks are
    deluded in your persistent belief that Linux is going to overtake
    Windows.

    Ain't ever gonna happen. Linux was designed by and for geeks.

    Randall Ainsworth, Aug 21, 2004
  14. Randall Ainsworth wrote:
    > In article <wVLVc.14240$>, Phil Wheeler
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Rodrick Dalton wrote:
    >>

    >>> Some of us lucky people get to use Linux, bust most of the world
    >>>is stuck using that microsoft crap......
    >>>

    >>Uhhh .. seems like anyone can use Linux if they so choose; no one is
    >>"stuck".
    >>
    >>I have Linux installed on a couple of machines. So far its utility,
    >>other than as an anti-Microsoft gesture, is limited. There is a wide
    >>range of apps, but most of the special ones I use in the Windows
    >>environment do not exist for Linux. And some hardware issues (e.g.,
    >>wireless LAN with Centrino) are much more tedious to deal with.
    >>
    >>No issues with Linux -- but knee-jerk Microsoft bashing is silly.

    > No, I use a Mac for my personal equipment. But you Linux dorks are
    > deluded in your persistent belief that Linux is going to overtake
    > Windows.
    >
    > Ain't ever gonna happen. Linux was designed by and for geeks.

    Unix and Linux are the workhorses in the server world, and increasingly
    in the scientific world. For example many of the NASA Cassini
    science teams use linux. I've used unix for 27 years, and and
    no win-PC can do my work. Now days I use unix on business servers
    with many terabytes of disk and many GBytes of RAM, and a linux laptop
    and PCs to do simpler work. But in the consumer field, the gui
    interface became polished under mac and then windows, and unix
    and linux have been playing catch up for a long time, just like
    windows is playing catch up in security. But I would say linux
    has gained impressively in this area in the last couple of years,
    but still has a way to go for ease of use for the average
    consumer.

    I use windows mainly for photoshop. If photoshop were on
    linux, I would drop windows in a microsecond. The main reason
    for photoshop over gimp is 16-bit support. Last I checked,
    gimp was only 8-bit.

    Roger

    Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark), Aug 22, 2004
  15. Ken Scharf

    al-Farrob Guest

    Ken Scharf wrote:

    I do all my image work on Linux

    > I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
    > have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
    > Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    >
    > Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    > who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    > (because it was written for "a different" OS)?
    >
    > BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
    > usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

    --
    al-Farrob
    --
    "16 photographs by al-Farrob"
    http://www.al-farrob.com

    al-Farrob, Aug 22, 2004
  16. Ken Scharf

    Chris Brown Guest

    In article <m5KVc.5989$>,
    Ken Scharf <> wrote:

    >Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    >who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    >(because it was written for "a different" OS)?

    I'm a Mac user at home, and a Linux user at work. Even though the camera
    (10D) came with software that supports the Mac, I don't use it because, er,
    it's rubbish.

    Chris Brown, Aug 22, 2004
  17. Ken Scharf

    Steve Hix Guest

    In article <210820040902329461%>,
    Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:

    > In article <m5KVc.5989$>, Ken Scharf
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > > I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
    > > have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
    > > Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    > >
    > > Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    > > who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    > > (because it was written for "a different" OS)?
    > >
    > > BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
    > > usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

    > *cough* loser *cough*

    *cough* pointless twit *cough*

    Steve Hix, Aug 22, 2004
  18. In article <>,
    NVALID says...
    > In article <210820040902329461%>,
    > Randall Ainsworth <> wrote:
    >
    > > In article <m5KVc.5989$>, Ken Scharf
    > > <> wrote:
    > >
    > > > I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
    > > > have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
    > > > Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    > > >
    > > > Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    > > > who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    > > > (because it was written for "a different" OS)?
    > > >
    > > > BTW Linux (if you don't know) also has another
    > > > usefull digicam program called Gphoto.

    > > *cough* loser *cough*

    > *cough* pointless twit *cough*

    *cough* *cough*

    Damn dust.
    --
    http://www.pbase.com/bcbaird/

    Brian C. Baird, Aug 22, 2004
  19. Ken Scharf <> writes:

    > I am running Linux on my home computer, and I
    > have been using the GIMP (that's Gnu Image Manipulation
    > Program) to edit and print my pictures.
    >
    > Are there any other Linux (or Mac) users out there
    > who DON'T use the software that came with your camera
    > (because it was written for "a different" OS)?

    My desktop systems runs windows, but I *still* don't use any of the
    software that came with either of my cameras (except the Fuji raw
    converter, when I shoot in raw mode).

    David Dyer-Bennet, Aug 22, 2004
  20. Ken Scharf

    Tim Smith Guest

    On 2004-08-21, Roger N. Clark (change username to rnclark)
    <> wrote:
    >> Ain't ever gonna happen. Linux was designed by and for geeks.

    > Unix and Linux are the workhorses in the server world, and increasingly in
    > the scientific world.

    And also increasingly in the artistic world. In movies, for example, Linux
    is heavily used at all stages nowadays--rendering, compositing, modeling,
    matte painting, retouching, etc.

    > I use windows mainly for photoshop. If photoshop were on linux, I would
    > drop windows in a microsecond. The main reason for photoshop over gimp is
    > 16-bit support. Last I checked, gimp was only 8-bit.

    Photoshop is on Linux, via Wine. Disney and two other studios funded
    enhancement of Wine to support Photoshop, so that they could move to Linux
    without giving up Photoshop.

    You might also want to look at Cinepaint (formerly Film-Gimp). It does
    32-bit per channel color.

    --
    --Tim Smith

    Tim Smith, Aug 22, 2004