    it is astraweb or my ISP limiting it (I'm with orcon).

    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark C, May 3, 2007

  2. "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    news:4639c92c$0$3060$...
    > Anybody else here use astraweb for usenet?
    >
    > How is it performing?
    >
    > I'm recently getting only 5kByte/s per connection and want to know if
    > it is astraweb or my ISP limiting it (I'm with orcon).

    Why don't you use Orcon's Usenet Server? (news.orcon.net.nz)

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, May 3, 2007

  3. Mark C

    Ken Guest

    On Fri, 4 May 2007 07:18:14 +1200, "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    >"Mark C" <> wrote in message
    >> Anybody else here use astraweb for usenet?
    >>
    >> How is it performing?
    >>
    >> I'm recently getting only 5kByte/s per connection and want to know if
    >> it is astraweb or my ISP limiting it (I'm with orcon).

    >Why don't you use Orcon's Usenet Server? (news.orcon.net.nz)
    >
    >Thanks

    With No Binaries..?
    Ken , May 4, 2007

  4. >

    > With No Binaries..?

    There are binaries there.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, May 4, 2007
  5. On 03 May 2007 11:36:13 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    >Anybody else here use astraweb for usenet?
    >
    >How is it performing?
    >
    >I'm recently getting only 5kByte/s per connection and want to know if
    >it is astraweb or my ISP limiting it (I'm with orcon).

    I'm on TC cable (Astraweb is a backup when theTC server can't find any
    coins to feed into the slot) and today as a test I've just downloaded
    some headers which came down at ~50kByte/sec, which is typical. A week
    or so ago it was down to ~ 25kB.

    --
    Regards
    Malcolm
    Malcolm Moore, May 4, 2007
  6. Mark C

    Ken Guest

    On 03 May 2007 11:36:13 GMT, Mark C <> wrote:

    >Anybody else here use astraweb for usenet?
    >
    >How is it performing?
    >
    >I'm recently getting only 5kByte/s per connection and want to know if
    >it is astraweb or my ISP limiting it (I'm with orcon).
    >
    >Thanks,
    >Mark

    Never heard of astraweb, does it support decoded binary dnloads. ?

    Go for some of the better ones like EasyNews, FTP dnloads of decoded Binaries, not the padded
    NNTP slow service..

    http://easynews.com/

    or

    http://www.newsguy.com/

    Here is a great shell that works with these 2 Web sites, plus others..

    http://member.newsguy.com/~leechguy/
    Ken , May 4, 2007
  7. Mark C

    Ken Guest

    On Fri, 4 May 2007 11:30:59 +1200, "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote:

    >> With No Binaries..?
    >>

    >There are binaries there.
    >
    >Thanks

    And at what retention rate and completeness.?
    Ken , May 4, 2007
  8. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Orcon's newsserver (was Re: Anybody else here use astraweb for usenet?)

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in

    > "Mark C" <> wrote in message
    >> Anybody else here use astraweb for usenet?
    >>
    >> How is it performing?
    >>
    >> I'm recently getting only 5kByte/s per connection and want to
    >> know if it is astraweb or my ISP limiting it (I'm with orcon).

    > Why don't you use Orcon's Usenet Server? (news.orcon.net.nz)

    I do also use Orcon's newserver and it is very good for some groups
    and very fast.
    (BTW, THANK YOU for providing such good usenet service.)

    But for some (small-binary) groups the completion is around 80-90% so
    I use astraweb as well (for fills; where an article is available on
    Orcon I'll get it from there).

    For large binary groups I figure it is better to use astraweb
    exclusively, and download just *some* of the posts in the group (the
    ones I'm interested in), rather than waste Orcon's bandwidth by
    having Orcon unsuccessfully try and keep-up with a high-traffic group
    and end up with incomplete posts that are not much good to me, or
    that I am un-interested in anyway.

    (Of course that theory only works if all of Orcon's customers ignore
    that particular group, so it eventually expires and DNews stops
    trying to download it.
    AFAIK, Orcon's server uses DNews and you can cause Orcon to start
    downloading a group by visiting it and downloading the "Group
    download in progress" article.
    What perhaps is also needed is a way to prune or remove groups where
    Orcon should not even be trying to keep up with articles because the
    result is just lots of incomplete files and waste of bandwidth.)

    Thanks,
    Mark
    Mark C, May 4, 2007
  9. Mark C

    Mark C Guest

    Malcolm Moore <> wrote in

    > On 03 May 2007 11:36:13 GMT, Mark C <>
    > wrote:
    >>Anybody else here use astraweb for usenet?
    >>I'm recently getting only 5kByte/s per connection and want to
    >>know if it is astraweb or my ISP limiting it (I'm with orcon).

    > I'm on TC cable (Astraweb is a backup when theTC server can't
    > find any coins to feed into the slot) and today as a test I've
    > just downloaded some headers which came down at ~50kByte/sec,
    > which is typical. A week or so ago it was down to ~ 25kB.

    Thanks.
    It's now going at ~100kByte/s for me (on a short header download
    test).
    I'll test it again this evening.
    Mark C, May 4, 2007