Anybody else having any ntl email problems?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Broons Bane, Aug 29, 2004.

  1. Broons Bane

    Broons Bane Guest

    For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
    account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
    every minute from outlook.

    ntl claim it is not a problem their end!

    I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via yahoo I
    get the same problem.

    God save us from ntl! (And I'm a devout atheist).

    Thanks in anticipation :)

    Broons Bane, Aug 29, 2004

  2. Broons Bane

    Mamdouh Ding Guest

    Broons Bane wrote:

    > For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
    > account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
    > every minute from outlook.

    > ntl claim it is not a problem their end!

    > I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via
    > yahoo I
    > get the same problem.

    Strange, I dont have the problem.

    Then again, I am not stupid enough to go with NTHell

    Mamdouh Ding, Aug 29, 2004

  3. Broons Bane

    Loz Guest

    "Broons Bane" <> wrote in message
    > For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
    > account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
    > every minute from outlook.
    >

    > ntl claim it is not a problem their end!
    >

    > I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via yahoo I
    > get the same problem.
    >

    > God save us from ntl! (And I'm a devout atheist).
    >

    > Thanks in anticipation :)

    I'm on NTL and my email with them works most of the time. Just one thought,
    if you dont get email that often why check every minute? My settings on OE
    check every 30 mins and that is enough for me and that will probably cut
    down the amount of time you get errors.

    Lawrence

    Loz, Aug 29, 2004
  4. Broons Bane

    kipper Guest

    I'm with NTL and I don't have any problems with my e-mail

    kipper, Aug 29, 2004
  5. Broons Bane

    Broons Bane Guest

    "Loz" <> wrote in message news:...
    > "Broons Bane" <> wrote in message
    > > For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
    > > account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
    > > every minute from outlook.
    > >

    > > ntl claim it is not a problem their end!
    > >

    > > I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via yahoo

    > > get the same problem.
    > >

    > > God save us from ntl! (And I'm a devout atheist).
    > >

    > > Thanks in anticipation :)

    > I'm on NTL and my email with them works most of the time. Just one

    thought,
    > if you dont get email that often why check every minute? My settings on OE
    > check every 30 mins and that is enough for me and that will probably cut
    > down the amount of time you get errors.
    >
    > Lawrence

    I do get it pretty often, but you are right checking less often cuts down
    the irritation factor.

    Broons Bane, Aug 29, 2004
  6. Broons Bane

    poster Guest

    On 29 Aug 2004 in alt.internet.providers.uk, "Broons Bane" wrote:

    >I do get it pretty often, but you are right checking less often
    >cuts down the irritation factor.

    If you use a mail client which handles IMAP you could always get a free
    mail account from fastmail.fm, which offers lots of other domain names
    (so you're not stuck with '') and if you ever
    choose to move from NTL the mail address would still work OK.

    poster, Aug 29, 2004
  7. Broons Bane

    DieSea Guest

    > For over a week now I am frequently and intermittently asked for my pop
    > account and password. I do receive email occasionally. I check for mail
    > every minute from outlook.
    >

    > ntl claim it is not a problem their end!
    >

    > I find this hard to believe. If I try to access the pop server via yahoo I
    > get the same problem.
    >

    > God save us from ntl! (And I'm a devout atheist).
    >

    > Thanks in anticipation :)

    Not any more , NTL got dumped , lock stock and barrel , so no problems with
    email , I'm just getting fed up with their incorrect Bills now , why I
    should pay £32.50 for phone calls and phone only line rental beats me
    especially when out going calls are blocked and the phone is only used for
    incoming calls.

    Think NTL are going out through the door double quick time , I'm more than
    willing to take legal action . I've made sure I've got proof to back it up.

    Diesea

    DieSea, Aug 29, 2004
  8. Broons Bane

    Broons Bane Guest

    Thanks all :)

    Broons Bane, Aug 30, 2004
  9. Broons Bane

    Paul Harper Guest

    On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:03:09 +0100, "Broons Bane"
    <> wrote:

    >God save us from ntl!

    Sorry, but serves people right for using them for anything other than
    connectivity.

    I use them for this, and don't have any issues at all. Mail, webspace,
    newsgroups, domain names etc. are all with other companies with whom I
    don't have issues either.

    As a telecoms company, NTL are fine. As an all-round ISL, they're
    shite.

    Adjust expectations and use the strengths.

    Paul.

    --
    .. A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
    .. JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable front.

    Paul Harper, Aug 30, 2004
  10. Broons Bane

    Broons Bane Guest

    "Paul Harper" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 29 Aug 2004 18:03:09 +0100, "Broons Bane"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >God save us from ntl!

    > Sorry, but serves people right for using them for anything other than
    > connectivity.
    >
    > I use them for this, and don't have any issues at all. Mail, webspace,
    > newsgroups, domain names etc. are all with other companies with whom I
    > don't have issues either.
    >
    > As a telecoms company, NTL are fine. As an all-round ISL, they're
    > shite.
    >
    > Adjust expectations and use the strengths.
    >
    > Paul.
    >
    > --
    > . A .sig is all well and good, but it's no substitute for a personality
    > . JMS: "SFX is a fairly useless publication on just about every imaginable

    front.
    > Never have so many jumped-up fanboys done so little, with so much, for

    so long."
    > . EMail: Unless invited to, don't. Your message is likely to be

    automatically deleted.

    I agree with you completely, but ntl is definitely the cheapest for me. I
    use the free phone line as my only phone line, thus to rent a bt telephone
    line and go ADSL would work out much more expensive (I don't use my phone a
    lot, so call savings aren't much of an issue).

    Broons Bane, Aug 31, 2004
  11. Broons Bane

    Nick P Guest

    I have been trying to help a friend out that uses NTL. They have
    intermittent problems with e-mails:-

    1 - Failing to log into the account a lot of the time (Your use name
    or password was rejected)

    2 - Incoming e-mails being bounced about 50% of the time (Remote host
    said: 550 Invalid recipient)

    3 - Outgoing e-mails seem to be OK

    Is NTL always this bad?

    Nick

    Nick P, Sep 18, 2004
  12. Broons Bane

    George W. W. Guest

    Hi Nick,

    I use NTL e-mail but via my Outllook .

    I think it is routine to set up new a/c's assuming you have MS XP

    George W W

    As you can see I'm still a bit green as I posted this to the main group
    instead of to your specific request

    George W. W., Sep 18, 2004
  13. Broons Bane

    john Guest

    ntl e-mail is a bag of shit at the mo.

    john, Sep 18, 2004
  14. Broons Bane

    Brian W Guest

    Is NTL always this bad? Unfortunately, the answer is Yes. The email
    side of ntl seems to be in some sort of meltdown, where all the
    problems you mention may occur without warning. Also, it may be
    possble to log into your email account, only to find that it is
    unfeasibly slow and that you will not be able to open incoming emails.
    It is problematic about sending emails and doesn't always issue
    confirmation. This can be fun if you use the opportunity to make a
    few last minute changes, only to find the recipient has been sent both
    versions.

    The means I use to check whether ntl's email "service" is operating
    is:

    http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ServiceStatus.aspx

    There is a link from that page for ntl dialup -but often as not the
    page comes up as a "server error" message. My experience is that the
    service failure has to be pretty dramatic before ntl say anything
    about it. "Fixed in the last day" is just a limited statement of
    fact, you may find the problem is still ongoing in your area -
    probably why you are checking ntl's service status in the first place.

    Personally , I find ntl's webpage too devoted to marketing while
    obscuring links to the more essential pages. Until recently ntl should
    have issued a prize for finding any reference to service status on
    their web pages. I also dislike ntl's misuse of the term "broadband"
    to mean a generic reference to internet. This is marketing speak and
    I don't think I have come across it anywhere else.

    Earliest chance I get I am dumping ntl where they belong.

    Brian W

    Brian W, Sep 26, 2004
  15. Brian W wrote:
    > Is NTL always this bad? Unfortunately, the answer is Yes. The email
    > side of ntl seems to be in some sort of meltdown, where all the
    > problems you mention may occur without warning. Also, it may be
    > possble to log into your email account, only to find that it is
    > unfeasibly slow and that you will not be able to open incoming emails.
    > It is problematic about sending emails and doesn't always issue
    > confirmation. This can be fun if you use the opportunity to make a
    > few last minute changes, only to find the recipient has been sent both
    > versions.
    >
    > The means I use to check whether ntl's email "service" is operating
    > is:
    >
    > http://www.ntl-isp.ntl.com/ServiceStatus/ServiceStatus.aspx
    >
    > There is a link from that page for ntl dialup -but often as not the
    > page comes up as a "server error" message. My experience is that the
    > service failure has to be pretty dramatic before ntl say anything
    > about it. "Fixed in the last day" is just a limited statement of
    > fact, you may find the problem is still ongoing in your area -
    > probably why you are checking ntl's service status in the first place.
    >
    > Personally , I find ntl's webpage too devoted to marketing while
    > obscuring links to the more essential pages. Until recently ntl should
    > have issued a prize for finding any reference to service status on
    > their web pages. I also dislike ntl's misuse of the term "broadband"
    > to mean a generic reference to internet. This is marketing speak and
    > I don't think I have come across it anywhere else.
    >
    > Earliest chance I get I am dumping ntl where they belong.
    >
    > Brian W
    >

    >>>"Nick P" <> wrote in message

    maybe this link will give you more information about the issues with
    ntl's email servers that are on going

    http://www.cableforum.co.uk/article/76/ntls-problems-with-the-e-mail-service-explained

    hope this is of some help to you all :)

    Richard Moseley, Sep 27, 2004