    (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
    </irony off>

    -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 14, 2006

  2. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html emails
    > <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links don't work,
    > pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail needs special
    > permission to load lazy html graphics).
    >
    > Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of html
    > bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.
    >
    > I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll have to
    > unsub.
    > </irony>
    > (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
    > </irony off>

    What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru fine once
    I allowed it to load images, as I would expect - perhaps the website was
    down or something when you tried to open it?

    Richard, Dec 14, 2006

  3. Peter Huebner

    Blue Guest

    On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:33:25 +1300, Richard wrote:

    > What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru fine once
    > I allowed it to load images, as I would expect - perhaps the website was
    > down or something when you tried to open it?

    Oh dear. E-mail should be in ASCII text alone. Web pages have html.

    Try to keep it simple yes?

    Blue, Dec 14, 2006
  4. Peter Huebner

    Kent Smith Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html
    > emails <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus;
    > links don't work, pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work,
    > Pmail needs special permission to load lazy html graphics).
    >
    > Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot
    > of html bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing
    > unreadable.
    >
    > I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll
    > have to unsub.
    > </irony>
    > (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
    > </irony off>

    Perhaps I missing something but you can go into your ascent preferences and
    set your Email specials format to plain text.

    -KENT

    Kent Smith, Dec 14, 2006
  5. In article <>, says...

    > What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru fine once
    > I allowed it to load images, as I would expect - perhaps the website was
    > down or something when you tried to open it?

    Lazy html is an email where the graphics are not included but get loaded from
    other [web based]sources after you open the mail. A common way to spread virii
    and malware.

    -P.

    Peter Huebner, Dec 14, 2006
  6. In article <elr990$192g$>,
    says...

    > Perhaps I missing something but you can go into your ascent preferences and
    > set your Email specials format to plain text.
    >

    > -KENT

    Thanks a lot for that, Kent. The setting must've got changed when they
    redesigned the website because I had it on text before -- it didn't even occur
    to me to check, I simply assumed they had changed the format as part of their
    website remodelling. Good catch ;-).

    cheers, -Peter

    Peter Huebner, Dec 14, 2006
  7. Peter Huebner

    Enkidu Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html emails
    > <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links don't work,
    > pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail needs special
    > permission to load lazy html graphics).
    >
    > Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of html
    > bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.
    >
    > I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll have to
    > unsub.
    > <irony>
    > (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
    > </irony off>

    (<irony> tag corrected!)

    There are plenty of better email clients than Outlook or Pegasus.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    'hilarious', it usually isn't?

    Enkidu, Dec 14, 2006
  8. Peter Huebner

    Richard Guest

    Peter Huebner wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >> What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru fine once
    >> I allowed it to load images, as I would expect - perhaps the website was
    >> down or something when you tried to open it?
    >>

    > Lazy html is an email where the graphics are not included but get loaded from
    > other [web based]sources after you open the mail. A common way to spread virii
    > and malware.

    I prefer that they don't include any images or flash with the email,
    since it means that they end up using a lot more resources on the email
    servers that the message has to go thru.

    Only spreads viruses and stuff if you don't know how to work a computer IMO

    Richard, Dec 15, 2006
  9. Peter Huebner

    Philip Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    >> Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html
    >> emails <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links
    >> don't work, pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail
    >> needs special permission to load lazy html graphics).
    >>
    >> Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of
    >> html bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.
    >> I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll
    >> have to unsub. <irony>
    >> (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
    >> </irony off>
    >>

    > (<irony> tag corrected!)
    >
    > There are plenty of better email clients than Outlook or Pegasus.
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Cliff

    I'm quite happy at the moment with Thunderbird, which has a basic
    newsgroup reader capacity as well. I have it defaulted not to display
    HTML or inline images, which speeds up downloading and spares me the
    hideous sight of some idiot's idea of promotional marketing.

    Now all I need is a spam filter that goes right back to the spammer and
    explodes his hard drive in a murderous rain of sharp spinning platters
    slicing through his fingers and flesh.

    And if I had one, I really would use it.

    Philip

    Philip, Dec 15, 2006
  10. Peter Huebner

    Bruce Knox Guest

    On Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:26:36 +1300, Philip <>
    wrote:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >> Peter Huebner wrote:
    >>> Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html
    >>> emails <sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links
    >>> don't work, pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail
    >>> needs special permission to load lazy html graphics).
    >>>
    >>> Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of
    >>> html bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.
    >>> I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll
    >>> have to unsub. <irony>
    >>> (No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
    >>> </irony off>
    >>>

    >> (<irony> tag corrected!)
    >>
    >> There are plenty of better email clients than Outlook or Pegasus.
    >>
    >> Cheers,
    >>
    >> Cliff
    >>

    >I'm quite happy at the moment with Thunderbird, which has a basic
    >newsgroup reader capacity as well. I have it defaulted not to display
    >HTML or inline images, which speeds up downloading and spares me the
    >hideous sight of some idiot's idea of promotional marketing.
    >
    >Now all I need is a spam filter that goes right back to the spammer and
    >explodes his hard drive in a murderous rain of sharp spinning platters
    >slicing through his fingers and flesh.
    >
    >And if I had one, I really would use it.
    >
    >Philip

    I use Thunderbird and the Ascent html does not seem to work well with
    it. It used to but not now. I can get the images but no text with
    them. At least I think there should be text there otherwise its really
    badly designed promotion material. If I try validating it I get 106
    warnings (recoverable html faults).

    Bruce http://www.baggins.co.nz
    http://physio.otago.ac.nz

    Bruce Knox, Dec 15, 2006
  11. Peter Huebner

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Richard wrote:
    > Peter Huebner wrote:
    > > In article <>, says...
    > > > What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru
    > > > fine once I allowed it to load images, as I would expect -
    > > > perhaps the website was down or something when you tried to open
    > > > it?

    > > Lazy html is an email where the graphics are not included but get
    > > loaded from other [web based]sources after you open the mail. A
    > > common way to spread virii and malware.

    > I prefer that they don't include any images or flash with the email,
    > since it means that they end up using a lot more resources on the
    > email servers that the message has to go thru.

    I prefer that they do, then my local AV can give it the thumbs-up if it's
    all good.

    It's either sent out through the email servers or called from the html
    server, one way or the other it's 'delivered'. Why not do it the right way?

    > Only spreads viruses and stuff if you don't know how to work a
    > computer IMO

    Ohhh, a /subtle/ put-down. Must be feeling threatened.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Dec 16, 2006
  12. T'was the Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:50:53 +1300 when I remembered Blue
    <> saying something like this:

    >Oh dear. E-mail should be in ASCII text alone. Web pages have html.
    >
    >Try to keep it simple yes?

    But reading email through a web client?
    --
    Cheers,

    Waylon Kenning.

    Waylon Kenning, Dec 16, 2006
  13. In article <>, Peter Huebner <> wrote:

    >Just got my weekly mailout from Ascent. Oh bravo, they now send html emails
    ><sigh> Which, as per usual, don't really work in Pegasus; links don't work,
    >pictures don't load (hey, this is security at work, Pmail needs special
    >permission to load lazy html graphics).
    >
    >Trying to display it as pure text doesn't work either - I get a lot of html
    >bloat represented as text, which makes the whole thing unreadable.
    >
    >I am truly disgusted. Hope they go back to the old format, or I'll have to
    >unsub.
    ></irony>
    >(No, I am not going to change to a 'real' email program like Outlook!)
    ></irony off>

    Creeping html. We hates it ! Nasty hobbittses.

    Bigger messages with less info. <sigh> less signal and more noise.

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 18, 2006
  14. In article <>, Blue <> wrote:
    >On Thu, 14 Dec 2006 21:33:25 +1300, Richard wrote:
    >
    >> What on earth is lazy html graphics? My ascent email came thru fine once
    >> I allowed it to load images, as I would expect - perhaps the website was
    >> down or something when you tried to open it?

    >Oh dear. E-mail should be in ASCII text alone. Web pages have html.
    >
    >Try to keep it simple yes?

    Yes ... and complain for gods sake. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Dec 18, 2006