    (Are they different?)

    Or pay for an expensive namebrand that'll be outdated before you walk
    out the door with it.
    paora, May 22, 2005

  2. paora

    cowboyz Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 00:25:55 +1200, paora <> wrote:

    > What's the best alternative?
    >
    > Buy cheap shit from DSE
    > either the DSE rebranded Mustek or the cheaper Mustek recorder.
    > (Are they different?)
    >

    > Or pay for an expensive namebrand that'll be outdated before you walk
    > out the door with it.

    /plug
    or you could buy the one I've got for sale.
    /plug off

    It's like anything. Buy one that has the features that you will find
    most useful at a price you can afford. There are plenty of them out there.

    Nothing wrong with buying cheap DSE gear if you want a basic job well done.
    --
    Luck usually comes to those who do not include it in their plans.
    cowboyz, May 23, 2005

  3. paora

    JedMeister Guest

    "paora" <> wrote in message

    > What's the best alternative?
    >
    > Buy cheap shit from DSE
    > either the DSE rebranded Mustek or the cheaper Mustek recorder.
    > (Are they different?)
    >

    > Or pay for an expensive namebrand that'll be outdated before you walk
    > out the door with it.

    I bought a Sony dvd recorder last year to replace my vcr.

    But, I recommend against them if you just want to record TV. I find the
    discs are too easily damaged. I usually just throw them on top of the
    recorder, instead of carefully putting them into approved cases. Sometimes
    when you are running out the door this is all you have time to do.

    A HDD recorder would be far superior, I will just wait for Sky to bring out
    one in a couple years time. (bets anyone?)
    JedMeister, May 23, 2005
  4. paora

    Richard Guest

    JedMeister wrote:

    > I bought a Sony dvd recorder last year to replace my vcr.
    >
    > But, I recommend against them if you just want to record TV. I find the
    > discs are too easily damaged. I usually just throw them on top of the
    > recorder, instead of carefully putting them into approved cases. Sometimes
    > when you are running out the door this is all you have time to do.
    >
    > A HDD recorder would be far superior, I will just wait for Sky to bring out
    > one in a couple years time. (bets anyone?)

    You mean one that you never actually get to own despite paying a shitload for it?
    Richard, May 23, 2005
  5. "JedMeister" <> wrote in message
    > "paora" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > What's the best alternative?
    > >
    > > Buy cheap shit from DSE
    > > either the DSE rebranded Mustek or the cheaper Mustek recorder.
    > > (Are they different?)
    > >

    > > Or pay for an expensive namebrand that'll be outdated before you walk
    > > out the door with it.

    > I bought a Sony dvd recorder last year to replace my vcr.
    >
    > But, I recommend against them if you just want to record TV. I find the
    > discs are too easily damaged. I usually just throw them on top of the
    > recorder, instead of carefully putting them into approved cases. Sometimes
    > when you are running out the door this is all you have time to do.
    >
    > A HDD recorder would be far superior, I will just wait for Sky to bring

    out
    > one in a couple years time. (bets anyone?)

    Scuttlebutt has it that SKY's PVR is likely later this year.
    Right now Harvey Norman are flogging off a Sharp 60gig dvd recorder for
    <$800, reduced from $1500.
    ShuckItAnShee, May 23, 2005
  6. paora

    Mark Guest

    The latest sky blurb in the mail mentioned it - cant be too far away. If its
    too dear, or too DRM they can stick it....

    Mark, May 23, 2005
  7. paora

    S Roby Guest

    >Buy cheap shit from DSE

    At least you can only loose $300 max if it fails(rather than $1000+)
    & will loose a lot less when the price falls & you want a new model.
    If you have a $10000 TV, then you can afford a $1500 DVDR

    I looked at the options & bought the DSE brand Mustek ($300)
    It has VBR , the mustek brand is a earlier model & doesnt have VBR(may be
    wrong here)
    On high quality mode there isnt a lot of quality diff between all brands
    I can buy ALOT of DVD's with the $500 i saved by buying a cheapy.
    BUT, the remote is poor, unit is slow to respond, wont accept some brand of
    blanks (DSE for eg), wont accept CDR, wont record audio only disks or MP3
    disks, fan is too noisey (easily replaced) & fan is in the wrong part of the
    case so doesnt cool the unit.I had to remount the fan.

    Remember you are only recording from TV signals/old VCR tapes so how
    high quality do you REALLY need
    If you sit 4feet away from the TV it is possible to see degredation from the
    2 or 3 hour modes, but not at a normal distance
    However, if you want to record sport, this is the hardest for the recorders to
    compress. The DSE needs to be in the 1 hour mode for sport(rugby etc), the
    lastest JVC etc has a much better 3&4 hour mode that MAY be usable for
    recording sports.
    Some DVDR (Panasonic) wont record on RW disks, only once only(DVD-R) or
    expensive RAM disks. The LITE ON will also record to CDR, & will record CDR
    audio disks(a a very usefull feature)
    The cheaper models dont have enough inputs & the SVID input in on the front of
    the DSE (bad design). The DSE isnt a very good DVD player.
    S Roby, May 23, 2005
  8. paora

    S Roby Guest

    In article <>, NewsDroid <> wrote:
    >In article <op.sq7d5vh3lk46je@xp2100>, cowboyz <> wrote:
    >
    >> > What's the best alternative?
    >> >
    >> > Buy cheap shit from DSE
    >> > either the DSE rebranded Mustek or the cheaper Mustek recorder.
    >> > (Are they different?)
    >> >
    >> > Or pay for an expensive namebrand that'll be outdated before you walk
    >> > out the door with it.

    >> It's like anything. Buy one that has the features that you will find
    >> most useful at a price you can afford. There are plenty of them out there.
    >>
    >> Nothing wrong with buying cheap DSE gear if you want a basic job well done.

    >Any bright buggers figured out how to add a hard drive to a DSE elCheapo?

    Not possible as far as I know. May not be possible to even change the IDE DVD
    writer unit because it neeeds a specific firmware (havnt tried though)

    That way, the chipset makers can sell the HD capable chipset at a higher
    price.
    S Roby, May 23, 2005
  9. paora

    NewsDroid Guest

    NewsDroid, May 23, 2005
  10. paora

    CSE Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 21:39:37 +1200, NewsDroid <> wrote:

    >In article <op.sq7d5vh3lk46je@xp2100>, cowboyz <> wrote:
    >
    >> > What's the best alternative?
    >> >
    >> > Buy cheap shit from DSE
    >> > either the DSE rebranded Mustek or the cheaper Mustek recorder.
    >> > (Are they different?)
    >> >
    >> > Or pay for an expensive namebrand that'll be outdated before you walk
    >> > out the door with it.

    >> It's like anything. Buy one that has the features that you will find
    >> most useful at a price you can afford. There are plenty of them out there.
    >>
    >> Nothing wrong with buying cheap DSE gear if you want a basic job well done.

    >Any bright buggers figured out how to add a hard drive to a DSE elCheapo?

    Woolworth's also sell a Cheap DVD Recorder..

    I don't know who makes it but it could be by Daewoo like the VCR/DVD Combo..
    CSE, May 23, 2005
  11. paora

    paora Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:44:27 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >>Buy cheap shit from DSE

    >At least you can only loose $300 max if it fails(rather than $1000+)
    >& will loose a lot less when the price falls & you want a new model.
    >If you have a $10000 TV, then you can afford a $1500 DVDR
    >
    >I looked at the options & bought the DSE brand Mustek ($300)
    >It has VBR , the mustek brand is a earlier model & doesnt have VBR(may be
    >wrong here)
    >On high quality mode there isnt a lot of quality diff between all brands
    >I can buy ALOT of DVD's with the $500 i saved by buying a cheapy.
    >BUT, the remote is poor, unit is slow to respond, wont accept some brand of
    >blanks (DSE for eg), wont accept CDR, wont record audio only disks or MP3
    >disks, fan is too noisey (easily replaced) & fan is in the wrong part of the
    >case so doesnt cool the unit.I had to remount the fan.
    >

    >Remember you are only recording from TV signals/old VCR tapes so how
    >high quality do you REALLY need
    >If you sit 4feet away from the TV it is possible to see degredation from the
    >2 or 3 hour modes, but not at a normal distance
    >However, if you want to record sport, this is the hardest for the recorders to
    >compress. The DSE needs to be in the 1 hour mode for sport(rugby etc), the
    >lastest JVC etc has a much better 3&4 hour mode that MAY be usable for
    >recording sports.
    >Some DVDR (Panasonic) wont record on RW disks, only once only(DVD-R) or
    >expensive RAM disks. The LITE ON will also record to CDR, & will record CDR
    >audio disks(a a very usefull feature)
    >The cheaper models dont have enough inputs & the SVID input in on the front of
    >the DSE (bad design). The DSE isnt a very good DVD player.

    Thanks for the really helpful answer.

    I think I'll wait. I had it in mind to transfer some vcr taped stuff
    to DVD but it's not urgent.
    paora, May 24, 2005
  12. paora

    A Guest

    On Mon, 23 May 2005 08:44:27 GMT, le (S Roby) wrote:

    >Some DVDR (Panasonic) wont record on RW disks, only once only(DVD-R) or
    >expensive RAM disks. The LITE ON will also record to CDR, & will record CDR
    >audio disks(a a very usefull feature)

    Actually the new models of Panasonic now support both +R, -R and -RW
    as well as their preferred -RAM

    Bond & Bond had a 20% off Panasonic in the weekend and I was very
    tempted to get either the standard recorder ($480 from $599) or the
    80GB HDD model ($800 from $999)

    Decided I'd rather a HDD model but couldn't afford the $800 after
    buying a Panasonic miniDV camera earlier in the week :-(
    A, May 24, 2005
  13. In article <>,
    A <> wrote:

    >Decided I'd rather a HDD model but couldn't afford the $800 after
    >buying a Panasonic miniDV camera earlier in the week :-(

    Getting a hard drive model is good. Gives you much more flexibility in
    editing and reorganizing your recordings before saving them to DVD.
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 25, 2005
  14. paora

    alyse Guest

    paora wrote:
    > What's the best alternative?
    >
    > Buy cheap shit from DSE
    > either the DSE rebranded Mustek or the cheaper Mustek recorder.
    > (Are they different?)
    >

    > Or pay for an expensive namebrand that'll be outdated before you walk
    > out the door with it.

    DSE has 7-day money back, then usual warranty. Your last paragraph sums
    it up. DSE's might not be cutting-edge, but it's OK.
    alyse, May 31, 2005