    blanking Guest

    Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
    advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007

  2. blanking wrote:
    > Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
    > advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

    sure just give me your current IP :)
    collector«NZ, Oct 12, 2007

  3. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > blanking wrote:
    >> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
    >> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

    > sure just give me your current IP :)

    192.168.1.136

    I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at the
    port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
    utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  4. blanking wrote:
    > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> blanking wrote:
    >>> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
    >>> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

    >> sure just give me your current IP :)

    > 192.168.1.136
    >
    > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at the
    > port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
    > utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    When a port is open it is open, it is not limited to one protocol, it is
    able to pass all protocols in the TCP and if you are unlucky UDP set.

    Some more advanced routers will let you limit what protocols a port is
    open for
    collector«NZ, Oct 12, 2007
  5. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message

    > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> blanking wrote:
    >>> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
    >>> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

    >> sure just give me your current IP :)

    > 192.168.1.136
    >
    > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    > the port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything
    > but utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    The port is closed according to shields up but I am getting data sent and
    received with no internet applications open and it is this port that is
    getting all the attention so is this a contradiction or does the data I see
    been sent and received not amount to my port responding to the outside
    access?
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  6. blanking

    > blanking wrote:
    >> "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>> sure just give me your current IP :)

    >> 192.168.1.136
    >>
    >> I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    >> the port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything
    >> but utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    > When a port is open it is open, it is not limited to one protocol, it is
    > able to pass all protocols in the TCP and if you are unlucky UDP set.
    >
    > Some more advanced routers will let you limit what protocols a port is
    > open for

    Woops i was not clear, I am no longer using utorrent, I noticed the problem
    after closing utorrent down.
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  7. blanking

    > Some more advanced routers will let you limit what protocols a port is
    > open for

    As far as i know my router is one of them.
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  8. blanking

    sam Guest

    blanking wrote:
    > "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    >> "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    >>> sure just give me your current IP :)

    >> 192.168.1.136
    >>
    >> I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    >> the port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything
    >> but utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.
    >>

    > The port is closed according to shields up but I am getting data sent and
    > received with no internet applications open and it is this port that is
    > getting all the attention so is this a contradiction or does the data I see
    > been sent and received not amount to my port responding to the outside
    > access?

    Open Command Prompt and type netstat -a to see what IPs you are
    connecting to on what ports.
    sam, Oct 12, 2007
  9. blanking

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <470f1560$>, blanking@brain says...

    > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > blanking wrote:
    > >> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
    > >> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

    > > sure just give me your current IP :)

    > 192.168.1.136
    >
    > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at the
    > port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
    > utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
    bittorent client.

    BTW: your IP addy is wrong, ye've given us your internal (private) IP
    addy. (You did that on purpose didn't yer! :) Your IP will of course,
    be in your header info in your post anyway - not that I see any point to
    "going that way".

    Perhaps you should put some packet sniffing s/w on, and see what's up -
    but as said, it's probably quite normal in a P2P situation - unless
    perhaps you're running some servers! :)

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 12, 2007
  10. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    In article <470f1560$>, blanking@brain says...

    > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > blanking wrote:
    > >> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
    > >> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

    > > sure just give me your current IP :)

    > 192.168.1.136
    >
    > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    > the
    > port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
    > utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
    bittorent client.

    If I was not seeing data sent and received I would have thought this. I
    don't know that I understand the significance of data sent and received
    though, could this just be someone pinging my port and my computer replying
    to say port is closed, if so then I am not half as worried, can someone
    please confirm or deny this understanding for me.
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  11. In message <470f1560$>, blanking wrote:

    > 192.168.1.136

    That's an internal IP address. What's your public (Internet-facing) address?
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 12, 2007
  12. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    In article <470f1560$>, blanking@brain says...

    > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > blanking wrote:
    > >> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
    > >> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

    > > sure just give me your current IP :)

    > 192.168.1.136
    >
    > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    > the
    > port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
    > utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
    bittorent client.

    BTW: your IP addy is wrong, ye've given us your internal (private) IP
    addy. (You did that on purpose didn't yer! :) Your IP will of course,
    be in your header info in your post anyway - not that I see any point to
    "going that way".

    Damn, I hope giving that away does not pose a security threat, I certainly
    did not do it on purpose, maybe if I had not be rushing I would have
    remembered that this is the case.
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  13. blanking

    blanking Guest

    > In message <470f1560$>, blanking wrote:
    >
    >> 192.168.1.136

    > That's an internal IP address. What's your public (Internet-facing)
    > address?

    How do I find it out and why is it needed?
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  14. blanking

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <470f1a88$>, blanking@brain says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <470f1560$>, blanking@brain says...
    > >
    > > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > > sure just give me your current IP :)

    > > 192.168.1.136
    > >
    > > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    > > the
    > > port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
    > > utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    > It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
    > bittorent client.
    >
    > If I was not seeing data sent and received I would have thought this. I
    > don't know that I understand the significance of data sent and received
    > though, could this just be someone pinging my port and my computer replying
    > to say port is closed, if so then I am not half as worried, can someone
    > please confirm or deny this understanding for me.

    As said, perhaps a packet sniffer might help. I've never tried this
    one, but was about to give it a go one day, it's a freebie...
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartsniff.html

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 12, 2007
  15. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    In article <470f1a88$>, blanking@brain says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <470f1560$>, blanking@brain says...
    > >
    > > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > > sure just give me your current IP :)

    > > 192.168.1.136
    > >
    > > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    > > the
    > > port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
    > > utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    > It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
    > bittorent client.
    >
    > If I was not seeing data sent and received I would have thought this. I
    > don't know that I understand the significance of data sent and received
    > though, could this just be someone pinging my port and my computer
    > replying
    > to say port is closed, if so then I am not half as worried, can someone
    > please confirm or deny this understanding for me.

    As said, perhaps a packet sniffer might help. I've never tried this
    one, but was about to give it a go one day, it's a freebie...
    http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartsniff.html

    Thanks but is that a no then that all it might be is pinging?
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  16. blanking

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <470f200f$>, blanking@brain says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <470f1a88$>, blanking@brain says...
    > >
    > > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <470f1560$>, blanking@brain says...
    > > >
    > > > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > 192.168.1.136
    > > >
    > > > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    > > > the
    > > > port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
    > > > utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    > > It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
    > > bittorent client.
    > >
    > > If I was not seeing data sent and received I would have thought this. I
    > > don't know that I understand the significance of data sent and received
    > > though, could this just be someone pinging my port and my computer
    > > replying
    > > to say port is closed, if so then I am not half as worried, can someone
    > > please confirm or deny this understanding for me.

    > As said, perhaps a packet sniffer might help. I've never tried this
    > one, but was about to give it a go one day, it's a freebie...
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartsniff.html
    >
    > Thanks but is that a no then that all it might be is pinging?

    Not sure, I'd just be guessing. A packet sniffer would show you what
    port is being used - so you'd soon know if it was just pinging or not.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 12, 2007
  17. blanking

    > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    >> blanking wrote:
    >>> Is there anybody around at the moment and if so could you give me some
    >>> advice on what appears to be some major hacking attack on my pc.

    >> sure just give me your current IP :)

    > 192.168.1.136
    >
    > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    > the port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything
    > but utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    The other thing that alerted me to this was the fact that I am unable to
    delete a folder that was created by utorrent and I had trouble deleting some
    files downloaded from utorrent as well despite the fact that utorrent was
    closed down and these files/folder were not in use by any known program.
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  18. blanking

    blanking Guest

    "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    In article <470f200f$>, blanking@brain says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <470f1a88$>, blanking@brain says...
    > >
    > > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <470f1560$>, blanking@brain says...
    > > >
    > > > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > 192.168.1.136
    > > >
    > > > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed
    > > > at
    > > > the
    > > > port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything
    > > > but
    > > > utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    > > It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
    > > bittorent client.
    > >
    > > If I was not seeing data sent and received I would have thought this. I
    > > don't know that I understand the significance of data sent and received
    > > though, could this just be someone pinging my port and my computer
    > > replying
    > > to say port is closed, if so then I am not half as worried, can someone
    > > please confirm or deny this understanding for me.

    > As said, perhaps a packet sniffer might help. I've never tried this
    > one, but was about to give it a go one day, it's a freebie...
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartsniff.html
    >
    > Thanks but is that a no then that all it might be is pinging?

    Not sure, I'd just be guessing. A packet sniffer would show you what
    port is being used - so you'd soon know if it was just pinging or not.

    Thanks but if i need help now I think i would need a lot of help to
    understand anything the packet sniffer told me.
    blanking, Oct 12, 2007
  19. blanking

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <470f200f$>, blanking@brain says...

    > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > In article <470f1a88$>, blanking@brain says...
    > >
    > > "Dave Doe" <> wrote in message
    > > In article <470f1560$>, blanking@brain says...
    > > >
    > > > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > 192.168.1.136
    > > >
    > > > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    > > > the
    > > > port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything but
    > > > utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.

    > > It's probably pretty par for the course - I assume utorrent is a
    > > bittorent client.
    > >
    > > If I was not seeing data sent and received I would have thought this. I
    > > don't know that I understand the significance of data sent and received
    > > though, could this just be someone pinging my port and my computer
    > > replying
    > > to say port is closed, if so then I am not half as worried, can someone
    > > please confirm or deny this understanding for me.

    > As said, perhaps a packet sniffer might help. I've never tried this
    > one, but was about to give it a go one day, it's a freebie...
    > http://www.snapfiles.com/get/smartsniff.html
    >
    > Thanks but is that a no then that all it might be is pinging?

    Forgot to add (though the sniffer would hopefully tell you), that pings
    come through on ICMP protocol (ICMP code 8, IIRC).

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 12, 2007
  20. blanking

    Dave Doe Guest

    In article <470f20ea$>, blanking@brain says...

    > "blanking" <blanking@brain> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "collector«NZ" <> wrote in message
    > >> sure just give me your current IP :)

    > > 192.168.1.136
    > >
    > > I was using utorrent prior to noticing a problem, the attack is aimed at
    > > the port I use for utorrent, this port should be blocked for everything
    > > but utorrent, I have it setup as a portforward on my adsl modem.
    > >

    > The other thing that alerted me to this was the fact that I am unable to
    > delete a folder that was created by utorrent and I had trouble deleting some
    > files downloaded from utorrent as well despite the fact that utorrent was
    > closed down and these files/folder were not in use by any known program.

    Perhaps others that use utorrent would know. Sometimes these things are
    closed, but they're not - they're completing "packets" before completely
    closing. So it could be normal if files and folders remain locked.

    Check Task Manager, click on Processes, see if you can see anything
    obvious related to utorrent.

    --
    Duncan
    Dave Doe, Oct 12, 2007