    .... If so you could assist me maybe.

    I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    Sue Bilstein, Jan 16, 2007

  2. Sue Bilstein

    whome Guest

    "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > ... If so you could assist me maybe.
    >

    > I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    > present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    I had a massive slowdown on internet this evening. Try restarting (ie,
    switch of the power) your adsl modem.

    whome, Jan 16, 2007

  3. Sue Bilstein

    Chris Lim Guest

    Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > ... If so you could assist me maybe.
    >

    > I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    > present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    Nope, I'm on Xtra and haven't had any problems all night.

    Chris Lim, Jan 16, 2007
  4. "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    > ... If so you could assist me maybe.
    >

    > I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    > present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    Yes I have had to switch to netsmart
    Christ's love

    ChristianKnight, Jan 16, 2007
  5. Sue Bilstein

    BTMO Guest

    "Sue Bilstein" <> wrote

    Any xtra customers?

    NO!!!!

    Hahahahahaha!!!

    -waves arms religiously from side to side-

    Ah have see-en the ligh-ta, sis-ta - YA!

    Ah wanna TESTIFY-YA! THAT AH have see-yen the ligh-ta!

    No mo xtra for me, no mo-ya!

    BTMO, Jan 16, 2007
  6. Sue Bilstein

    Matty F Guest

    Chris Lim wrote:
    > Sue Bilstein wrote:
    > > ... If so you could assist me maybe.
    > >

    > > I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    > > present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    > Nope, I'm on Xtra and haven't had any problems all night.

    No problems here. Xtra is having its usual 99.9% uptime.
    I thought email and Usenet were part of the Internet anyway.

    Matty F, Jan 16, 2007
  7. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On 16 Jan 2007 01:22:58 -0800, "Matty F" <>
    wrote:
    >Chris Lim wrote:
    >> Sue Bilstein wrote:
    >> > ... If so you could assist me maybe.
    >> >

    >> > I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    >> > present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    >> Nope, I'm on Xtra and haven't had any problems all night.

    >No problems here. Xtra is having its usual 99.9% uptime.
    >I thought email and Usenet were part of the Internet anyway.

    Different servers.

    Sue Bilstein, Jan 16, 2007
  8. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 21:14:34 +1300, "whome" <> wrote:
    >"Sue Bilstein" <> wrote in message
    >> ... If so you could assist me maybe.
    >>

    >> I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    >> present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    >I had a massive slowdown on internet this evening. Try restarting (ie,
    >switch of the power) your adsl modem.

    I've done that a couple of times. Just after I posted, I got internet
    back for ten minutes. Then everything went incl email and newsgroups.

    Sue Bilstein, Jan 16, 2007
  9. On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    Sue Bilstein exclaimed:
    > ... If so you could assist me maybe.
    >

    > I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    > present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    Do you mean "web access" by "internet access"?

    See, email, usenet and web all are services on the internet. So my first
    reaction to your question was "thats impossible". Then I figured out
    what you might mean...

    --
    aaronl at consultant dot com
    For every expert, there is an equal and

    Aaron Lawrence, Jan 16, 2007
  10. On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:53:49 +1300, Aaron Lawrence
    <> wrote:

    > On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    > Sue Bilstein exclaimed:
    >> ... If so you could assist me maybe.
    >>

    >> I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    >> present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    > Do you mean "web access" by "internet access"?
    >
    > See, email, usenet and web all are services on the internet. So my first
    > reaction to your question was "thats impossible". Then I figured out
    > what you might mean...

    Unusual though it is Sue is actually right this time. I don't have Telecom
    anymore (best move I ever made) but I was at a friends last night and they
    were experiencing exactly what Sue was saying. Don't forget that there
    aren't just routers on the net there are packet shapers and these can go
    down allowing only some types of traffic through.

    The symtoms I saw was that there was connectivity but very slow or no web
    traffic. Pings etc worked fine.

    Cosmik Debris, Jan 16, 2007
  11. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    On Wed, 17 Jan 2007 08:55:39 +1300, "Cosmik Debris"
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:53:49 +1300, Aaron Lawrence
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >> On a pleasant day while strolling in nz.comp, a person by the name of
    >> Sue Bilstein exclaimed:
    >>> ... If so you could assist me maybe.
    >>>

    >>> I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    >>> present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    >> Do you mean "web access" by "internet access"?
    >>
    >> See, email, usenet and web all are services on the internet. So my first
    >> reaction to your question was "thats impossible". Then I figured out
    >> what you might mean...
    >>

    >Unusual though it is Sue is actually right this time.

    Why thank you CD. I don't claim to be a techie, but I suspect you are
    referring to political disagreements.

    >I don't have Telecom
    >anymore (best move I ever made) but I was at a friends last night and they
    >were experiencing exactly what Sue was saying. Don't forget that there
    >aren't just routers on the net there are packet shapers and these can go
    >down allowing only some types of traffic through.
    >
    >The symtoms I saw was that there was connectivity but very slow or no web
    >traffic. Pings etc worked fine.

    I just talked to xtra support. They say there is a problem with an
    overseas cable, which means slow/no access to overseas websites.

    Trademe, which runs on an NZ host, is fine. www.ird.govt.nz is sick -
    they may be hosted overseas.

    Sue Bilstein, Jan 17, 2007
  12. On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 01:22:58 -0800, Matty F wrote:

    >> > I'm on xtra broadband. I have email and usenet connectivity at
    >> > present, but no internet access. Are you experiencing this too?

    >> Nope, I'm on Xtra and haven't had any problems all night.

    > No problems here. Xtra is having its usual 99.9% uptime.
    > I thought email and Usenet were part of the Internet anyway.

    Has Xtra re-instated it's NNTP server?

    --
    Dianthus Mimulus

    Microsoft's business practises exposed in court:
    http://www.maxframe.com/DR/Info/fullstory/dsprgmnt.html#_Toc447960918

    Dianthus Mimulus, Jan 17, 2007
  13. Sue Bilstein

    Geopelia Guest

    I've got xtra dial up.

    Several times I haven't been able to get Google recently. A large message
    comes up about it. But if I try several times it eventually connects.

    I've found since I changed to the latest internet explorer, that Google
    takes a long time to arrive on the screen. So I minimise the Google Home
    page and get it from there instead of the Desktop.

    I'm not going to get Broadband. It's very expensive and seems to be
    unreliable.

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jan 17, 2007
  14. Sue Bilstein

    Sue Bilstein Guest

    Dianthus Mimulus wrote:

    > >> Nope, I'm on Xtra and haven't had any problems all night.

    > > No problems here. Xtra is having its usual 99.9% uptime.
    > > I thought email and Usenet were part of the Internet anyway.

    > Has Xtra re-instated it's NNTP server?

    I use the nntp server of a firm called Supernews.com.

    Sue Bilstein, Jan 17, 2007
  15. Sue Bilstein

    Matty F Guest

    Geopelia wrote:

    > Several times I haven't been able to get Google recently. A large message
    > comes up about it. But if I try several times it eventually connects.
    >
    > I've found since I changed to the latest internet explorer, that Google
    > takes a long time to arrive on the screen. So I minimise the Google Home
    > page and get it from there instead of the Desktop.

    Or you could try going direct to Google here, which should be much
    faster:
    http://66.102.7.99/

    Matty F, Jan 17, 2007
  16. Sue Bilstein

    Geopelia Guest

    "Matty F" <> wrote in message
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> Several times I haven't been able to get Google recently. A large message
    >> comes up about it. But if I try several times it eventually connects.
    >>
    >> I've found since I changed to the latest internet explorer, that Google
    >> takes a long time to arrive on the screen. So I minimise the Google Home
    >> page and get it from there instead of the Desktop.

    > Or you could try going direct to Google here, which should be much
    > faster:
    > http://66.102.7.99/

    Clicking that site from your message worked, but it didn't seem any faster.
    (I made Google my home page on the internet.)

    I'd have to get on the internet first to type in that website though, or I
    suppose I can save your message and click on it.

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jan 17, 2007
  17. Sue Bilstein

    Rob S Guest

    Matty F wrote:
    > Geopelia wrote:
    >
    >> Several times I haven't been able to get Google recently. A large message
    >> comes up about it. But if I try several times it eventually connects.
    >>
    >> I've found since I changed to the latest internet explorer, that Google
    >> takes a long time to arrive on the screen. So I minimise the Google Home
    >> page and get it from there instead of the Desktop.

    > Or you could try going direct to Google here, which should be much
    > faster:
    > http://66.102.7.99/

    You may be better off changing your dns

    I'm not with xtra, but I've found the dns servers I use seem quicker and
    more reliable than my isp's dns

    Opendns.com
    208.67.222.222
    208.67.220.220

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
    bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to
    produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. -
    Rich Cook

    Rob S, Jan 17, 2007
  18. Sue Bilstein

    Geopelia Guest

    "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45ae9142$...
    > Matty F wrote:
    >> Geopelia wrote:
    >>
    >>> Several times I haven't been able to get Google recently. A large
    >>> message
    >>> comes up about it. But if I try several times it eventually connects.
    >>>
    >>> I've found since I changed to the latest internet explorer, that Google
    >>> takes a long time to arrive on the screen. So I minimise the Google Home
    >>> page and get it from there instead of the Desktop.

    >> Or you could try going direct to Google here, which should be much
    >> faster:
    >> http://66.102.7.99/
    >>

    > You may be better off changing your dns
    >
    > I'm not with xtra, but I've found the dns servers I use seem quicker and
    > more reliable than my isp's dns
    >
    > Opendns.com
    > 208.67.222.222
    > 208.67.220.220
    >
    > --
    >
    > Rob
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    > http://aspir8or.blogspot.com
    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >

    > Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
    > bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce
    > bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rich Cook

    That's a bit technical for me. The Universe produced a prize idiot 77 years
    ago!

    Thank you

    Geopelia

    Geopelia, Jan 17, 2007
  19. Sue Bilstein

    BTMO Guest

    "Geopelia" <> wrote

    > That's a bit technical for me. The Universe produced a prize idiot 77
    > years ago!

    Its nice to win things...

    ;-)

    BTMO, Jan 18, 2007
  20. Sue Bilstein

    Rob S Guest

    Geopelia wrote:
    > "Rob S" <Here@home> wrote in message news:45ae9142$...
    >> Matty F wrote:

    >>> Or you could try going direct to Google here, which should be much
    >>> faster:
    >>> http://66.102.7.99/
    >>>

    >> You may be better off changing your dns
    >>
    >> I'm not with xtra, but I've found the dns servers I use seem quicker and
    >> more reliable than my isp's dns
    >>
    >> Opendns.com
    >> 208.67.222.222
    >> 208.67.220.220
    >>
    >> --
    >>
    >> Rob
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >> http://aspir8or.blogspot.com
    >> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >>

    >> Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build
    >> bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce
    >> bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rich Cook

    > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    >
    > That's a bit technical for me. The Universe produced a prize idiot 77 years
    > ago!
    >
    > Thank you
    >
    > Geopelia

    I see you are posting via OE6, which presupposes you are using MS
    Windows, possibly XP Home. I don't have any MS Windows pcs here, so
    could some kind soul explain the procedure for changing dns settings in
    XP? I could zap through it if I had a XP pc in front of me, but typing
    the procedure from memory might steer Geo wrong.

    I'm also only guessing that Xtra's dns servers are the cause of her
    problems, but it's a fairly educated guess, given the symptoms supplied.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.blogspot.com

    Spouse: 'What did you do today?' Computer Science Prof: 'I taught some
    UNIX.' Spouse: 'That's nice, dear. What did you teach them?'

    Rob S, Jan 18, 2007