Any word on Real Ghostbusters?

Discussion in 'DVD Video' started by Aaron J. Bossig, May 14, 2004.

  1. Aaron J. Bossig, May 14, 2004

  2. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    > Some time back, one label (Rhino?) did a poll, asking for
    > advice on what 80s-era cartoon to release. The Real Ghostbusters
    > was an option. Did this poll ever amount to anything?

    Yeah, and then Warner took over, and nobody told them that Rhino polls
    ever existed.

    Derek Janssen (and this's coming from an MST3K fan...We KNOW.)
    Derek Janssen, May 14, 2004

  3. Derek Janssen <> wrote in news:40a47a87$0$3014
    $:

    > Aaron J. Bossig wrote:
    >
    >> Some time back, one label (Rhino?) did a poll, asking for
    >> advice on what 80s-era cartoon to release. The Real Ghostbusters
    >> was an option. Did this poll ever amount to anything?

    > Yeah, and then Warner took over, and nobody told them that Rhino polls
    > ever existed.
    >
    > Derek Janssen (and this's coming from an MST3K fan...We KNOW.)

    Oh, brother. Thanks for the tip. BTW, my MST3k vote went to
    "The Day the Earth Froze". How about you?

    --

    Aaron J. "I am the North Wind" Bossig

    http://www.GodsLabRat.com
    http://www.Daily-Reviews.com
    Aaron J. Bossig, May 14, 2004
  4. Aaron J. Bossig wrote:

    >>>Some time back, one label (Rhino?) did a poll, asking for
    >>>advice on what 80s-era cartoon to release. The Real Ghostbusters
    >>>was an option. Did this poll ever amount to anything?

    >>Yeah, and then Warner took over, and nobody told them that Rhino polls
    >>ever existed.
    >>
    >>(and this's coming from an MST3K fan...We KNOW.)

    > Oh, brother. Thanks for the tip. BTW, my MST3k vote went to
    > "The Day the Earth Froze". How about you?

    Same here, and throw in "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians"--

    The fact that New Warner Guys are in charge, and "our" Rhino boys left
    to form Shout Factory (they of the SCTV and Freaks & Geeks boxsets), is
    pretty much the reason we've gotten those two Sci-Fi Channel-only boxes
    so far...
    Don't worry, we've got troubleshooters in there working on it. We hope.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, May 14, 2004
  5. >Hi all

    >Some time back, one label (Rhino?) did a poll, asking for
    >advice on what 80s-era cartoon to release. The Real Ghostbusters
    >was an option. Did this poll ever amount to anything?

    I don't think Rhino would have ever been able to do anything about getting "The
    Real Ghostbusters" on DVD. They'd have better luck getting series from
    Rankin-Bass, DiC, Claster/Sunbow, or Nelvana.

    That particular cartoon was distributed by Columbia Pictures Television when it
    was under ownership of Coca-Cola. The copyrights to the show are probably
    still owned by Columbia, which means that the decision to distribute or not is
    up to Sony, which was the company that purchased Columbia Pictures Industries
    and its assets from Coke.

    BTW, there was another 80's era cartoon that I remember. I don't recall the
    title, but it seemed somewhat like a knock-off of "The Jetsons" that was mostly
    played out in space, which aired on Saturday mornings in the mid 1980s. -
    Reinhart
    LASERandDVDfan, May 16, 2004
  6. LASERandDVDfan wrote:

    >>Some time back, one label (Rhino?) did a poll, asking for
    >>advice on what 80s-era cartoon to release. The Real Ghostbusters
    >>was an option. Did this poll ever amount to anything?

    > I don't think Rhino would have ever been able to do anything about getting "The
    > Real Ghostbusters" on DVD. They'd have better luck getting series from
    > Rankin-Bass, DiC, Claster/Sunbow, or Nelvana.
    >
    > That particular cartoon was distributed by Columbia Pictures Television when it
    > was under ownership of Coca-Cola. The copyrights to the show are probably
    > still owned by Columbia, which means that the decision to distribute or not is
    > up to Sony, which was the company that purchased Columbia Pictures Industries
    > and its assets from Coke.

    Rhino (and which, under Warner, doesn't seem to be acquiring any NEW
    titles, just refining the existing Krofft/Monkees/MST3K/80's-Hasbro
    properties Rhino owned *before* the takeover) only owns 80's Hasbro, and
    whatever Claster/Sunbow are tied in--
    Which means GIJoe, Transformers, Mask, and Jem, which are all pretty
    much on the table already...

    DiC, under some Buena Vista-related offshoot, seems to be handling its
    own titles (Inspector Gadget, Sabrina), but only seems to be interested
    in *one* or two Best-Of's or DTV-originals every year--
    Although this could also be related to syndication issues, as was the
    case with the Fox "X-Men" disks.

    Derek Janssen
    Derek Janssen, May 17, 2004
  7. LASERandDVDfan wrote:

    > >Hi all

    snip

    > BTW, there was another 80's era cartoon that I remember. I don't recall the
    > title, but it seemed somewhat like a knock-off of "The Jetsons" that was mostly
    > played out in space, which aired on Saturday mornings in the mid 1980s. -
    > Reinhart

    Galaxy High School?
    Arthur Lipscomb, May 17, 2004