  1. Scott

    Scott Guest

    Anyone got the inside scoop on the proposed new Jetstream plans?
    Scott, Feb 23, 2004

  2. Scott

    Adam Smith Guest

    Adam Smith, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Scott

    L33T Guest

    L33T, Feb 23, 2004
  4. Scott wrote:

    > Anyone got the inside scoop on the proposed new Jetstream plans?

    If you mean the 256k ones... read back a few weeks... theres a link to
    the press release or something.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 23, 2004
  5. Scott

    JedMeister Guest

    The telecom press release does not specify whether the rates include the
    Xtra ISP charges.

    I'll downgrade my current broadband jetstream connection to one of the newly
    announced narrowband products straightaway - so it will take effect before
    the next billing month...Telecom don't allow you to change within a billing
    month.

    http://www.telecom-media.co.nz/releases_detail.asp?id=3006&page=1&pagesize=10

    JedMeister, Feb 23, 2004
  6. Scott

    anon Guest

    anon, Feb 24, 2004
  7. Scott

    Chris Guest

    "L33T" <> wrote in

    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/jetstream/index.html
    >
    > ihug prices for the 256 service. it makes for really weird reading.
    >

    >> Anyone got the inside scoop on the proposed new Jetstream plans?

    But it's the existing plans your link points to not the new 1's being
    released on 8th March.

    I did email Orcon to ask them ....

    > Hi Chris,
    >
    > The new plans will also be available to Orcon customers. The plans will

    also
    > be released on that same date with us and our website will be updated
    > accordingly.
    > If you have any further queries please don't hesitate to contact our

    team.
    > Kindest regards
    > Orcon Internet Helpdesk>

    0508 4 ORC> ON
    09 444 > 4414
    Chris, Feb 24, 2004
  8. Scott

    Tim Guest

    Chris <> wrote in

    > "L33T" <> wrote in
    >
    >> http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/jetstream/index.html
    >>
    >> ihug prices for the 256 service. it makes for really weird reading.
    >>

    >>> Anyone got the inside scoop on the proposed new Jetstream plans?

    > But it's the existing plans your link points to not the new 1's being
    > released on 8th March.
    >
    > I did email Orcon to ask them ....

    World-net have put their prices up for it in the web

    http://www.world-net.co.nz/products/?menu=adslcost

    They are beside the great big flashing "New Products" ;)

    --
    Tim
    - <insert witty signature here>
    Tim, Feb 24, 2004
  9. Scott

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "Scott" <> wrote in message
    > Anyone got the inside scoop on the proposed new Jetstream plans?

    So far I know World-Net have released pricing for it, and so has Xtra (refer
    to the press release).
    I have asked Paradise Net and they have not decided anything yet, I have
    asked ihug and they are working on some pricing now.
    But thats about it! I know we are wanting to go on 256k, cept price wise
    Xtra is winning at the moment :(

    Anyone know if they would limit P2P traffic on that service?

    cheers
    Carl Elphick, Feb 24, 2004
  10. Scott

    Chris Guest

    Tim <> wrote in

    > Chris <> wrote in
    >
    >> "L33T" <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> http://www.ihug.co.nz/products/jetstream/index.html
    >>>
    >>> ihug prices for the 256 service. it makes for really weird reading.

    >> But it's the existing plans your link points to not the new 1's being
    >> released on 8th March.
    >>
    >> I did email Orcon to ask them ....

    > World-net have put their prices up for it in the web
    >
    > http://www.world-net.co.nz/products/?menu=adslcost
    >
    > They are beside the great big flashing "New Products" ;)

    I see they are only $15 a month more expensive than xtra's ISP component

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Feb 24, 2004
  11. Carl Elphick wrote:
    > Anyone know if they would limit P2P traffic on that service?

    I'll give you one guess and a hint... they limit p2p on their current
    offerings.

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 24, 2004
  12. Scott

    Carl Elphick Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:YGB_b.472$...
    > Carl Elphick wrote:
    > > Anyone know if they would limit P2P traffic on that service?

    > I'll give you one guess and a hint... they limit p2p on their current
    > offerings.

    I thought it just was JetStart they limited P2P on, not the other plans
    which telecom control the traffic on
    Carl Elphick, Feb 24, 2004
  13. Scott

    Carl Elphick Guest

    Carl Elphick, Feb 24, 2004
  14. Scott

    L33T Guest

    sorry, i misread the question. apologies !

    L33T, Feb 24, 2004
  15. Scott

    Allistar Guest

    Carl Elphick wrote:

    > "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    > message news:YGB_b.472$...
    >> Carl Elphick wrote:
    >> > Anyone know if they would limit P2P traffic on that service?

    >> I'll give you one guess and a hint... they limit p2p on their current
    >> offerings.

    > I thought it just was JetStart they limited P2P on, not the other plans
    > which telecom control the traffic on

    I have JetStart at home and use P2P quite a bit (bittorrent). It always
    maxes out my connection (~15kb/s) which implies there is no limiting
    happening.

    Or are they selective in the type of P2P they limit?

    Allistar.
    Allistar, Feb 24, 2004
  16. Allistar wrote:

    > Carl Elphick wrote:
    >

    >>"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    >>message news:YGB_b.472$...

    >>>I'll give you one guess and a hint... they limit p2p on their current
    >>>offerings.

    >>I thought it just was JetStart they limited P2P on, not the other plans
    >>which telecom control the traffic on

    > I have JetStart at home and use P2P quite a bit (bittorrent). It always
    > maxes out my connection (~15kb/s) which implies there is no limiting
    > happening.
    > Or are they selective in the type of P2P they limit?

    Bittorrent isnt the type of P2P I meant.(AFAIK bittorrent shows up as
    regular HTTP as in is cached etc too.)
    They slow Kazaa to a crawl, or atleast used to last time I used them(or
    Kazaa)

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 24, 2004
  17. Allistar wrote:
    > Carl Elphick wrote:
    >

    >> "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote
    >> in message news:YGB_b.472$...
    >>>
    >>> I'll give you one guess and a hint... they limit p2p on their
    >>> current offerings.

    >> I thought it just was JetStart they limited P2P on, not the other
    >> plans which telecom control the traffic on

    > I have JetStart at home and use P2P quite a bit (bittorrent). It
    > always maxes out my connection (~15kb/s) which implies there is no
    > limiting happening.
    >
    > Or are they selective in the type of P2P they limit?
    >
    > Allistar.

    I do the same with Kazaa Lite and get 15kb/sec which is the max I usually
    get on JetStream Starter.

    Russell
    Russell Smithies, Feb 24, 2004
  18. Scott

    JF Guest

    > Allistar wrote:
    >
    > > Carl Elphick wrote:
    > >

    > >>"T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    > >>message news:YGB_b.472$...

    > >>I thought it just was JetStart they limited P2P on, not the other plans
    > >>which telecom control the traffic on

    > > I have JetStart at home and use P2P quite a bit (bittorrent). It always
    > > maxes out my connection (~15kb/s) which implies there is no limiting
    > > happening.
    > > Or are they selective in the type of P2P they limit?

    > Bittorrent isnt the type of P2P I meant.(AFAIK bittorrent shows up as
    > regular HTTP as in is cached etc too.)

    Bittorrent usually uses port 6881/tcp (by default), the transfer itself
    doesn't have anything to do with HTTP.

    > They slow Kazaa to a crawl, or atleast used to last time I used them(or
    > Kazaa)

    As far as I can tell Maxnet, which is supposed to shape the traffic
    violently, does not shape Bittorrent traffic or even eDonkey traffic.
    But FTP is often shaped to 5 KB/sec max. Streaming multimedia content is
    slightly shaped too. Windows Media becomes unusable, even content designed
    for dialup is not really watchable.

    Just to clarify, some people seem to state Xtra is shaping traffic too. Is
    this true ?

    Honestly, all of that sounds quite weird to me. Orcon costs $39.95 and Xtra
    just a bit less, with 11 gigabytes of difference in traffic, and where Xtra
    would shape traffic but Orcon would not. I even read that Orcon does not use
    a transparent http proxy (well if they don't they are bit silly I reckon).

    Some people spend their time vomitting on Xtra, whereas some others seem to
    blindly trust Telecom.

    Where is the truth ?
    JF, Feb 25, 2004
  19. JF wrote:
    > Where is the truth ?

    I think you'll find it somewhere in the middle.

    --
    Dave Hall
    http://Dave.net.nz
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Feb 25, 2004