Any way to retrieve these audio files?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Donchano, Oct 3, 2006.

  1. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    If hell exists, the evil doers who designed Windows Media Player
    should be charter members.

    I backed-up a number of audio files from my old computer and they
    somehow got assigned *.wma suffixes. How they got railroaded by
    Microsoft in the first place is a mystery.

    I only discovered this when I attempted to play them using Media
    Monkey and it suddenly launched a Microsoft webpage demanding a
    license. I've tried converting them (using Audacity and dBPowerAmp)
    and error message tell me the files have been encrypted.

    On my old computer, Media Player would occasionally over-ride my
    default player settings and insinuate itself again as the default. I
    suppose that's one way the tracks in this particular album (long gone
    to that CD player in the sky) could have been changed from *.wav to
    *.wma.

    Is there any software that will convert *.wma files to audio files I
    can actually use? TIA.
    Donchano, Oct 3, 2006

  2. Donchano

    Joy Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    > If hell exists, the evil doers who designed Windows Media Player
    > should be charter members.
    >
    > I backed-up a number of audio files from my old computer and they
    > somehow got assigned *.wma suffixes. How they got railroaded by
    > Microsoft in the first place is a mystery.
    >
    > I only discovered this when I attempted to play them using Media
    > Monkey and it suddenly launched a Microsoft webpage demanding a
    > license. I've tried converting them (using Audacity and dBPowerAmp)
    > and error message tell me the files have been encrypted.
    >
    > On my old computer, Media Player would occasionally over-ride my
    > default player settings and insinuate itself again as the default. I
    > suppose that's one way the tracks in this particular album (long gone
    > to that CD player in the sky) could have been changed from *.wav to
    > *.wma.
    >
    > Is there any software that will convert *.wma files to audio files I
    > can actually use? TIA.

    Would Lame do it. Audacity had me download this to use a dll file it had so
    that audacity could convert a file from it's native format to MP3 but I
    think it does other things as well.
    http://www.mp3-converter.com/encoders/lame_encoder2.htm

    Joy
    Joy, Oct 3, 2006

  3. Donchano

    Craig Sutton Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    > If hell exists, the evil doers who designed Windows Media Player
    > should be charter members.
    >
    > I backed-up a number of audio files from my old computer and they
    > somehow got assigned *.wma suffixes. How they got railroaded by
    > Microsoft in the first place is a mystery.
    >
    > I only discovered this when I attempted to play them using Media
    > Monkey and it suddenly launched a Microsoft webpage demanding a
    > license. I've tried converting them (using Audacity and dBPowerAmp)
    > and error message tell me the files have been encrypted.
    >
    > On my old computer, Media Player would occasionally over-ride my
    > default player settings and insinuate itself again as the default. I
    > suppose that's one way the tracks in this particular album (long gone
    > to that CD player in the sky) could have been changed from *.wav to
    > *.wma.
    >
    > Is there any software that will convert *.wma files to audio files I
    > can actually use? TIA.

    Go here
    www.phazeddl.com
    and search for fairuse4wm
    Craig Sutton, Oct 3, 2006
  4. >
    > I only discovered this when I attempted to play them using Media
    > Monkey and it suddenly launched a Microsoft webpage demanding a
    > license. I've tried converting them (using Audacity and dBPowerAmp)
    > and error message tell me the files have been encrypted.

    Umm.. I guess you didn't back up your licences file? WMP will back them up
    into My Documents (where all your saved files should really go). Are you
    telling
    us windows media magiclly encryted the files without your
    knowledge/permission?

    Nothing will convert the files over (as they are encrypted) with the licence
    that you haven't got.

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Oct 3, 2006
  5. Donchano

    MaHogany Guest

    On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:41:38 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:

    > Nothing will convert the files over (as they are encrypted) with the licence
    > that you haven't got.

    This is a classic example of Digital Restrictions Management in action,
    and is a good example as to why DRM should be obliterated from the face of
    the planet!

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "Even though a peice of code may documented it doesn't make it readable,
    understandable or even usable. Especially when said documentation starts with
    MaHogany, Oct 3, 2006
  6. Donchano

    MaHogany Guest

    On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:13:49 +1300, Joy wrote:

    > Would Lame do it.

    Lame converts uncompressed PCM audio into compressed MPEG layer 3
    compressed audio. IT does not decode Micro$oft Media Audio compression.

    Ma Hogany

    --
    "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user wants
    fries with that, if prompted."
    MaHogany, Oct 3, 2006
  7. "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:41:38 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    >> Nothing will convert the files over (as they are encrypted) with the
    >> licence
    >> that you haven't got.

    > This is a classic example of Digital Restrictions Management in action,
    > and is a good example as to why DRM should be obliterated from the face of
    > the planet!

    As someone lost their licence key for the music they have? If they didn't
    want to have DRM they shouldn't of converted them to DRM based
    files or is he blaming windows for doing it without his permission or
    knowledge. Or where they DRM based files in the 1st place and hes
    lost his licence?

    Thanks
    Craig Whitmore, Oct 3, 2006
  8. Donchano

    Alan Guest

    "Craig Whitmore" <> wrote in message

    > "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    >> On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:41:38 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nothing will convert the files over (as they are encrypted) with
    >>> the licence
    >>> that you haven't got.

    >> This is a classic example of Digital Restrictions Management in
    >> action,
    >> and is a good example as to why DRM should be obliterated from the
    >> face of
    >> the planet!
    >>

    > As someone lost their licence key for the music they have? If they
    > didn't
    > want to have DRM they shouldn't of converted them to DRM based
    > files or is he blaming windows for doing it without his permission
    > or
    > knowledge. Or where they DRM based files in the 1st place and hes
    > lost his licence?
    >
    > Thanks

    WMP wouldn't encrypt a plain vanilla WAV file to an encrypted WMA file
    would it?

    How could it do that and where would the license come from?

    If the files were originally WMA files and they had been decrypted to
    WAV, then lost (the WAV files) I guess that would explain it.

    Confused!

    Alan.

    else associated with me.

    My current valid email address is:

    email address.

    ewygchvboocno43vb674b6nq46tvb
    Alan, Oct 3, 2006
  9. Donchano

    MaHogany Guest

    On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:45:54 +1300, Alan wrote:

    > WMP wouldn't encrypt a plain vanilla WAV file to an encrypted WMA file
    > would it?

    It *could* do such a thing - entirely dependant on how you've got it set
    up.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 3, 2006
  10. Donchano

    Alan Guest

    "MaHogany" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:45:54 +1300, Alan wrote:
    >
    >> WMP wouldn't encrypt a plain vanilla WAV file to an encrypted WMA
    >> file
    >> would it?

    > It *could* do such a thing - entirely dependant on how you've got it
    > set
    > up.
    >

    > Ma Hogany
    >
    > --
    > "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user
    > wants
    > fries with that, if prompted."

    You didn't explain where the license would come from?

    Alan, Oct 3, 2006
  11. Donchano

    MaHogany Guest

    On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 00:51:07 +1300, Alan wrote:

    >>> WMP wouldn't encrypt a plain vanilla WAV file to an encrypted WMA
    >>> file
    >>> would it?

    >> It *could* do such a thing - entirely dependant on how you've got it
    >> set
    >> up.

    > You didn't explain where the license would come from?

    IIRC (and it's been years since I least used WiMP) this licence is more
    correctly called a "key" and WiMP generates it for you. The advise was to
    back up your key and to keep it safe.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 3, 2006
  12. Donchano

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    > If hell exists, the evil doers who designed Windows Media Player
    > should be charter members.
    >
    > I backed-up a number of audio files from my old computer and they
    > somehow got assigned *.wma suffixes. How they got railroaded by
    > Microsoft in the first place is a mystery.
    >
    > I only discovered this when I attempted to play them using Media
    > Monkey and it suddenly launched a Microsoft webpage demanding a
    > license. I've tried converting them (using Audacity and dBPowerAmp)
    > and error message tell me the files have been encrypted.
    >
    > On my old computer, Media Player would occasionally over-ride my
    > default player settings and insinuate itself again as the default. I
    > suppose that's one way the tracks in this particular album (long gone
    > to that CD player in the sky) could have been changed from *.wav to
    > *.wma.
    >
    > Is there any software that will convert *.wma files to audio files I
    > can actually use? TIA.

    Audacity doesn't handle wma files that's why you get the error messages.
    Media Monkey does, and Media Monkey can convert them.
    It's sounds like you need to check your Media Player options out. Wanting
    to get licences etc can be unchecked.

    If you burn the tracks to a CD you'll get the option to make a proper audio
    CD out them that will play in any player just like any other audio CD.

    If selected the program that will make the audio CD is none other than
    Microsoft's Media Player.
    Just don't go telling MaHagony that Media Player can rip and burn with the
    best of them.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 3, 2006
  13. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:03:26 +1300, MaHogany <>
    magnanimously proffered:

    >On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:41:38 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >
    >> Nothing will convert the files over (as they are encrypted) with the licence
    >> that you haven't got.

    >This is a classic example of Digital Restrictions Management in action,
    >and is a good example as to why DRM should be obliterated from the face of
    >the planet!

    Curiouser and curiouser. Thanks for all your advice. In the end I
    downloaded and installed WMP v10 over v9 and those lost licenses were
    suddenly no longer a problem.

    Now I can play all the *.wma files in Media Monkey and other audio
    programmes. I've also found a freeware programme (Jodix WMA to MP3
    Converter http://www.wma-mp3.org/ ) that converts *.wma files to
    *.mp3, but as long as I can burn the wma files onto CD and play in the
    car I'm happy.

    Nevertheless, Microsneak does seem to have a way (or ways) of
    insinuating itself into your life whether you like it or not.
    Donchano, Oct 4, 2006
  14. Donchano

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    > On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 23:03:26 +1300, MaHogany <>
    > magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 21:41:38 +1300, Craig Whitmore wrote:
    >>
    >>> Nothing will convert the files over (as they are encrypted) with the
    >>> licence
    >>> that you haven't got.

    >>This is a classic example of Digital Restrictions Management in action,
    >>and is a good example as to why DRM should be obliterated from the face of
    >>the planet!

    > Curiouser and curiouser. Thanks for all your advice. In the end I
    > downloaded and installed WMP v10 over v9 and those lost licenses were
    > suddenly no longer a problem.
    >
    > Now I can play all the *.wma files in Media Monkey and other audio
    > programmes. I've also found a freeware programme (Jodix WMA to MP3
    > Converter http://www.wma-mp3.org/ ) that converts *.wma files to
    > *.mp3, but as long as I can burn the wma files onto CD and play in the
    > car I'm happy.
    >
    > Nevertheless, Microsneak does seem to have a way (or ways) of
    > insinuating itself into your life whether you like it or not.

    Both MP9 & 10 work well enough with no major problems. Some who are using
    it say that MP11 is pretty good as well. With Media Monkey you don't need
    any other special converter.
    Media Monkey does come with a very high risk that can have shocking results
    if not used very carefully.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 4, 2006
  15. Donchano

    Donchano Guest

    On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:59:37 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> magnanimously proffered:

    >Media Monkey does come with a very high risk that can have shocking results
    >if not used very carefully.

    Don't like the sound of that!!! So what's the guts?
    Donchano, Oct 4, 2006
  16. Donchano

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "Donchano" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:59:37 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> magnanimously proffered:
    >
    >>Media Monkey does come with a very high risk that can have shocking
    >>results
    >>if not used very carefully.

    > Don't like the sound of that!!! So what's the guts?

    It's all in how the mouse is used and how tired you might be at the time.
    :)

    Here's how in one simple go to wipe every icon completely from your desktop,
    loose all of your multi media folders (music, video, and pictures), and lose
    a whole lot more.

    On starting Media Monkey you have a music explorer tree on the left. The
    details in this column are small with very little margin for error. If the
    directories were locked in placed with only being able to open there'd be no
    problem, but they're not, they can be dragged round all too easily.
    Select C:\ drive then simply open documents and settings. Only while doing
    so it ends up being dragged without realising into a folder very close by.
    In my case it was Nvidia folder. I did what I wanted with Media Monkey
    closed it with all looking fine, then shut down the PC. On restarting the
    PC the next morning after a late night, all gone no icons on the desktop
    except for the lousy Recycle bin. Some programs would no longer work
    properly. First thought was the hard drive was stuffed. On checking the
    C:\ drive for a big change in the free hard drive space there wasn't any
    change at all. It was still the same size. By that time I already started
    creating new multi media folders etc. While things were missing in action
    the PC was still running well enough. Then on using Media Monkey I found
    some missing sound files were actually playing. On trcking down the links
    to them the entire Documents and Settings folder was hiding out in the
    Nvidia folder.

    It's easy done and others have found that folders can all too easily be
    dragged while clicking on them in Media Monkey.
    Don't use when half asleep and watch when clicking a folder. Apart from
    that it's a great program and will easily covert MS wma files to whatever
    you like.
    There's some good visual plug ins for it if you haven't downloaded them
    already. Similar to Winamp only with far more features.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 4, 2006
  17. Donchano

    aka Bob Guest

    On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:25:17 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    (*sling)> magnanimously proffered:

    >"Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:59:37 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >> (*sling)> magnanimously proffered:
    >>
    >>>Media Monkey does come with a very high risk that can have shocking
    >>>results
    >>>if not used very carefully.

    >> Don't like the sound of that!!! So what's the guts?

    >It's all in how the mouse is used and how tired you might be at the time.
    >:)
    >
    >Here's how in one simple go to wipe every icon completely from your desktop,
    >loose all of your multi media folders (music, video, and pictures), and lose
    >a whole lot more.
    >
    >On starting Media Monkey you have a music explorer tree on the left. The
    >details in this column are small with very little margin for error. If the
    >directories were locked in placed with only being able to open there'd be no
    >problem, but they're not, they can be dragged round all too easily.
    >Select C:\ drive then simply open documents and settings. Only while doing
    >so it ends up being dragged without realising into a folder very close by.
    >In my case it was Nvidia folder. I did what I wanted with Media Monkey
    >closed it with all looking fine, then shut down the PC. On restarting the
    >PC the next morning after a late night, all gone no icons on the desktop
    >except for the lousy Recycle bin. Some programs would no longer work
    >properly. First thought was the hard drive was stuffed. On checking the
    >C:\ drive for a big change in the free hard drive space there wasn't any
    >change at all. It was still the same size. By that time I already started
    >creating new multi media folders etc. While things were missing in action
    >the PC was still running well enough. Then on using Media Monkey I found
    >some missing sound files were actually playing. On trcking down the links
    >to them the entire Documents and Settings folder was hiding out in the
    >Nvidia folder.
    >
    >It's easy done and others have found that folders can all too easily be
    >dragged while clicking on them in Media Monkey.
    >Don't use when half asleep and watch when clicking a folder. Apart from
    >that it's a great program and will easily covert MS wma files to whatever
    >you like.
    >There's some good visual plug ins for it if you haven't downloaded them
    >already. Similar to Winamp only with far more features.

    Ohhhhhh ... I see what you mean. So I've maximised the "Album Art"
    window and taken the tree window to where it only shows down to the
    playlist. Better pass on that third glass of red.

    Thanks for the heads-up.
    aka Bob, Oct 4, 2006
  18. Donchano

    E. Scrooge Guest

    "aka Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 20:25:17 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    > (*sling)> magnanimously proffered:
    >

    >>"Donchano" <> wrote in message
    >>> On Wed, 4 Oct 2006 16:59:37 +1300, "E. Scrooge" <scrooge@*shot.co.nz
    >>> (*sling)> magnanimously proffered:

    >>> Don't like the sound of that!!! So what's the guts?

    >>It's all in how the mouse is used and how tired you might be at the time.
    >>:)
    >>
    >>Here's how in one simple go to wipe every icon completely from your
    >>desktop,
    >>loose all of your multi media folders (music, video, and pictures), and
    >>lose
    >>a whole lot more.
    >>
    >>On starting Media Monkey you have a music explorer tree on the left. The
    >>details in this column are small with very little margin for error. If
    >>the
    >>directories were locked in placed with only being able to open there'd be
    >>no
    >>problem, but they're not, they can be dragged round all too easily.
    >>Select C:\ drive then simply open documents and settings. Only while
    >>doing
    >>so it ends up being dragged without realising into a folder very close by.
    >>In my case it was Nvidia folder. I did what I wanted with Media Monkey
    >>closed it with all looking fine, then shut down the PC. On restarting the
    >>PC the next morning after a late night, all gone no icons on the desktop
    >>except for the lousy Recycle bin. Some programs would no longer work
    >>properly. First thought was the hard drive was stuffed. On checking the
    >>C:\ drive for a big change in the free hard drive space there wasn't any
    >>change at all. It was still the same size. By that time I already
    >>started
    >>creating new multi media folders etc. While things were missing in action
    >>the PC was still running well enough. Then on using Media Monkey I found
    >>some missing sound files were actually playing. On trcking down the links
    >>to them the entire Documents and Settings folder was hiding out in the
    >>Nvidia folder.
    >>
    >>It's easy done and others have found that folders can all too easily be
    >>dragged while clicking on them in Media Monkey.
    >>Don't use when half asleep and watch when clicking a folder. Apart from
    >>that it's a great program and will easily covert MS wma files to whatever
    >>you like.
    >>There's some good visual plug ins for it if you haven't downloaded them
    >>already. Similar to Winamp only with far more features.

    > Ohhhhhh ... I see what you mean. So I've maximised the "Album Art"
    > window and taken the tree window to where it only shows down to the
    > playlist. Better pass on that third glass of red.
    >
    > Thanks for the heads-up.

    Apart from not locking the folders in place it wouldn't be so bad if the
    little icons were about the twice the size. Sounds like you've solved the
    potential problem though.

    E. Scrooge
    E. Scrooge, Oct 4, 2006
  19. Donchano

    Alan Guest

    "MaHogany" <> wrote in message

    >>> It *could* do such a thing - entirely dependant on how you've got
    >>> it
    >>> set
    >>> up.

    >> You didn't explain where the license would come from?

    > IIRC (and it's been years since I least used WiMP) this licence is
    > more
    > correctly called a "key" and WiMP generates it for you. The advise
    > was to
    > back up your key and to keep it safe.
    >

    > Ma Hogany
    >
    > --
    > "The average user doesn't know what he wants. The average user
    > wants
    > fries with that, if prompted."

    I see - Key makes much more sense.

    So this would be akin to encrypting your data files and then losing
    the password.

    Alan, Oct 4, 2006
  20. Donchano

    MaHogany Guest

    On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 11:34:48 +1300, Alan wrote:

    >> IIRC (and it's been years since I least used WiMP) this licence is
    >> more correctly called a "key" and WiMP generates it for you. The advise
    >> was to back up your key and to keep it safe.

    > I see - Key makes much more sense.
    >
    > So this would be akin to encrypting your data files and then losing the
    > password.

    Yes.

    Ma Hogany

    MaHogany, Oct 5, 2006