    dual boot with the existing XP installation after I set up Vista? This will
    be for playing around, so I'm willing to put up with a moderate amount of
    misery.

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 30, 2006

  2. Provided you have seperate partitions for XP and Vista its no problem but you
    should allow at least 20GB for Vista. Do a clean install and Vista will
    create the dual-boot automatically for you. But read about the new boot
    arrangements befoehand - it is totally different from XP. basically Vista
    creates an upper level boot above XP. When all is finished the boot option
    will be Vista or Legacy. Legacy being your original boot configuration. Colin

    =?Utf-8?B?U3BpcmVmbQ==?=, Sep 30, 2006

  3. Dennis Gordon

    Nut Cracker Guest

    if his "old" machine was running 98, even with the fastest SCSI disk on the
    planet, it probably wont be up to the task of running vista.

    but then, that depends on his hardware, which he never mentioned. In my
    mind, that would be the logical first questions ... what is the old
    hardware? That way, lots of pain and trouble can be eliminated from the
    get-go.

    - NuTs

    Nut Cracker, Sep 30, 2006
  4. Dennis -
    What's the hardware on this box? If it isn't a Gb of RAM, I'd say don't
    bother. As for dual booting? No problem. Since you're changing the boot
    drive, you'll be in the same situation as I just dealt with when I formatted
    it. Read my latest blog post on this. It's a bit of a pain to get them both
    working, but not really hard.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 30, 2006
  5. Well it's relatively pretty creaky, but fast enough for testing. P4
    Northwood @ 3.4 w/512 megs and a P650. I have a celeron box in the office
    running Vista well enough, so this would be a step up from that.

    I may not have been clear enough. I want to pull the drive that had the
    boot.ini and WIN98, install Vista on a fresh drive, and then dual boot with
    the existing XP install that's on my 2nd HD. I guess I could do that in the
    BIOS, but I was wondering if I can edit the configuration to switch between
    Vista and XP upon startup. Not that it matters much, since this is my old
    machine. I just wondered if it can be done.

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 30, 2006
  6. Yes, it can be done, Dennis. See my blog post:
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64/ar...-Boot-Problems-with-XP-x64-and-Vista-x64.aspx

    All the gory details.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Sep 30, 2006
  7. P4/3.06 at 3.4 /512/533. Matrox P650. 512 megs of PC333. I have another 512
    meg module, but this Gigabyte board is buggy with 2 sticks of RAM in it and
    runs unstable, so unless I can find a reasonably priced 1G stick of PC333
    I'd rather spend the money elsewhere.

    As I mentioned, I installed 5728 on an old 2.7 celeron with 512 megs at
    work. I haven't done much other than click on icons and do web updates, but
    it runs pretty good for such a puny setup (my rating is a whopping "1")

    I'll be taking my old machine at home off line pretty soon anyways. I just
    want to play a bit with Vista. I'd dual boot with my new machine (3800x2
    running at 2.85) but I don't want to get calls from my wife in the middle of
    the day asking me what the hell I did to the computer, in case some anomaly
    crops up while I'm not there. So I figured my old creaky P4 would do well
    enough just to keep me familiar with Vista 'til it's released.

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 30, 2006
  8. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    Is there a possibility you are putting the second stick of memory in the
    wrong slot. Many motherboards have a 1-3 slot arrangement with 2 sticks not
    contiguous. Check the motherboard manual.

    John Barnes, Sep 30, 2006
  9. I've tried every combo. This was a known bug with some of these boards
    (Gigabyte 8PE667) They run with 2 sticks, but blue screen after a while.
    When I built it, 512 was plenty. I tried adding another stick a few months
    ago and it failed no matter where I put it. Since this box is 4 years old
    and on its way out I haven't pursued a more aggressive fix. Maybe I
    should...;-)

    Dennis Gordon, Sep 30, 2006
  10. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    Sounds like you have been agressive enough :) Reminds me I have half a
    dozen sticks of PC333 ram in the garage I should go get rid of (probably the
    old computer too :-(( }

    John Barnes, Sep 30, 2006
  11. well, it should run on that, just won't want to do all that much, given the
    lack of RAM. Not sure what the warranty is on Gigabyte boards, but sounds
    like you have a reasonable case for a replacement. (I think ASUS is
    currently 5 years, and the replacement process is fairly painless.)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 1, 2006
  12. Dennis Gordon

    John Barnes Guest

    My ASUS is 3 years and try to find the original sales receipt. Most of the
    time they have all the details you will be asked. Serial number is
    generally fairly easy, but version number and several other obsure items are
    not.

    John Barnes, Oct 1, 2006
  13. Wow it never even occurred to me to replace it. Other than the RAM issue,
    it's a retty decent board. Maybe I'll look into it. OTOH, my new machine is
    ruinning on 2 Ebay specials, a $40 Epox 9NPA Ultra with a 3800x2 Toledo
    humming at 2.85. All for $175 (I paid $475 for the same setup last October),
    so my time might be better spent building a new cheap dual core box. Might
    give Gigabyte a ring anyways...

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 1, 2006
  14. Yep, you're right. Thanks for the advice.

    Meanwhile, I'm typing this from my new Vista install. Actuall running swell,
    but I can't get my Linksys Wireless G USB adapter to work. No big deal since
    the machine is 4 feet from the router. Really no need to dual boot with my
    old XP install, as all of my data files are intact.

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 1, 2006
  15. I just noticed that Vista has its own driver for the Linksys adapter, so I'm
    wireless and online. Rather cool and easy (so far....)

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 1, 2006
  16. They can tell the date of mfg from the serial number. Version number is
    printed on the board, as is everything else, _somewhere_. But ultimately, if
    you can find the serial number (white sticker on the Parallel port
    connector, usually, on an Asus), you're OK. I've never had to worry about
    original receipt.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 1, 2006
  17. Sometimes it's the simple things here. The RAM issue is a known problem, so

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 1, 2006
  18. ....and since I'm talking 32 bit Vista, I'll refrain from further comments
    here....

    Dennis Gordon, Oct 1, 2006
  19. That's OK, we'll let you play here still. :)

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Oct 2, 2006