Any way to quickly change IE6 security from "High" to "Medium" (and vice versa)?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Sponge Bob Square Pants, Jul 20, 2006.

  1. In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
    security setting.

    When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
    sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
    security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web page in
    question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust the site in
    question though).

    Does anyone know of a freeware app that adds (say) a drop-down menu to the
    "Standard Buttons" toolbar in IE6, with the security levels listed in the
    drop-down menu? That way changing security levels would be easier than going
    into the menu. Or if not a drop-down menu, something like up and down arrows
    (i.e. click the up-arrow to increase the security level, click the
    down-arrow to lower the security level).

    It's not a big deal doing it once, but it happens a lot, and the menu system
    is a bit cumbersome IMO if you're repeatedly changing the settings.

    Thanks
    Sponge Bob

    Sponge Bob Square Pants, Jul 20, 2006

  2. "Sponge Bob Square Pants" <> wrote in message
    > In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
    > security setting.
    >
    > When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
    > sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
    > security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web page
    > in question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust the site in
    > question though).
    >
    > Does anyone know of a freeware app that adds (say) a drop-down menu to the
    > "Standard Buttons" toolbar in IE6, with the security levels listed in the
    > drop-down menu? That way changing security levels would be easier than
    > going into the menu. Or if not a drop-down menu, something like up and
    > down arrows (i.e. click the up-arrow to increase the security level, click
    > the down-arrow to lower the security level).
    >
    > It's not a big deal doing it once, but it happens a lot, and the menu
    > system is a bit cumbersome IMO if you're repeatedly changing the settings.

    Why don't you just double click the bottom right corner of the window, the
    right end of the status bar where it usually says Inetrnet and has a little
    globe symbol? Make sure you have the status bar made visible.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 20, 2006

  3. "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote in message

    > "Sponge Bob Square Pants" <> wrote in message
    >> In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
    >> security setting.
    >>
    >> When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
    >> sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
    >> security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web page
    >> in question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust the site in
    >> question though).
    >>
    >> Does anyone know of a freeware app that adds (say) a drop-down menu to
    >> the "Standard Buttons" toolbar in IE6, with the security levels listed in
    >> the drop-down menu? That way changing security levels would be easier
    >> than going into the menu. Or if not a drop-down menu, something like up
    >> and down arrows (i.e. click the up-arrow to increase the security level,
    >> click the down-arrow to lower the security level).
    >>
    >> It's not a big deal doing it once, but it happens a lot, and the menu
    >> system is a bit cumbersome IMO if you're repeatedly changing the
    >> settings.

    > Why don't you just double click the bottom right corner of the window, the
    > right end of the status bar where it usually says Inetrnet and has a
    > little globe symbol? Make sure you have the status bar made visible.
    >
    > ss.

    How stupid do I feel now?! :eek:)
    It never occurred to me to double-click there -- you live and learn.
    Thanks a lot
    Sponge Bob

    Sponge Bob Square Pants, Jul 20, 2006
  4. Sponge Bob Square Pants

    Mike Easter Guest

    Sponge Bob Square Pants wrote:
    > In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
    > security setting.
    >
    > When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
    > sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
    > security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web
    > page in question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust
    > the site in question though).

    That's not the way I do it -- change my 'complete' security settings for
    when I'm at a site and then change my complete security settings when I
    leave the site.

    I would rather change my settings for just that site. When I'm at such
    a site and I want to loosen my security for the site, I copy the site's
    domainname first, then I access the advanced security settings and give
    that site and that site only a looser setting.

    And I use all 4 default settings, trusted [for only 1 or so sites],
    intranet [for my most common loosened condition], internet [normal
    surfing mode], and restricted [for OE and some sites]. The intranet,
    internet, and restricted are all custom configured to be tight internet
    and totally tight restricted. Intranet is tighter than trusted which is
    totally loose.

    If you use the doubleclick the status bar icon you can get to the
    advanced settings, just like if you use Tools/ Internet Options/
    Security tab etc. How many mouseclicks you use to access changing the
    security setting for the site depends or compares to how much you like
    or dislike using the keyboard to navigate.

    If you like to navigate with the keyboard, you would copy the site's
    domainname and then use alt-T-O to get the Tools/ Internet Options
    accessible, just like you did with double clicking the icon.

    Then you would ctrl-Tab to get to the Security tab, if the desired
    setting is selected, just alt-S to prepare to enter the site's name,
    otherwise arrow key until you get the desired security selection and
    then alt-S-A to go into advanced

    Then you paste in the site's name with ctrl-V and OK [or enter enter
    enter] all the way back out.

    Describing keypresses takes a lot more words than describing mouse
    clicks, but for some functions keyboarding is actually faster. The
    other advantage to developing a keyboard strategy is that it can be
    programmed as a keyboard macro so as to take only a couple of
    keypresses.

    I'm not trying to debate mousingclicking vs keyboarding, it's just that
    if you only mouse you don't get down fast reflexive keyboard
    combinations for commonly performed tasks.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 20, 2006
  5. "Sponge Bob Square Pants" <> wrote in message
    > "Synapse Syndrome" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Sponge Bob Square Pants" <> wrote in message
    >>> In IE6 under Tools>Internet Options...>"Security" tab, you can set the
    >>> security setting.
    >>>
    >>> When I'm online I pretty much have it set to High all the time, but
    >>> sometimes pages won't load that use ActiveX, so I have to change the
    >>> security setting, and then put it back to High after reading the web
    >>> page in question. (I'll only lower the security setting if I trust the
    >>> site in question though).
    >>>
    >>> Does anyone know of a freeware app that adds (say) a drop-down menu to
    >>> the "Standard Buttons" toolbar in IE6, with the security levels listed
    >>> in the drop-down menu? That way changing security levels would be easier
    >>> than going into the menu. Or if not a drop-down menu, something like up
    >>> and down arrows (i.e. click the up-arrow to increase the security level,
    >>> click the down-arrow to lower the security level).
    >>>
    >>> It's not a big deal doing it once, but it happens a lot, and the menu
    >>> system is a bit cumbersome IMO if you're repeatedly changing the
    >>> settings.

    >> Why don't you just double click the bottom right corner of the window,
    >> the right end of the status bar where it usually says Inetrnet and has a
    >> little globe symbol? Make sure you have the status bar made visible.
    >>
    >> ss.

    > How stupid do I feel now?! :eek:)
    > It never occurred to me to double-click there -- you live and learn.
    > Thanks a lot
    > Sponge Bob

    No problem. As you may already have found out, you can access other things
    by double clicking in the other little areas.

    ss.

    Synapse Syndrome, Jul 20, 2006
  6. Sponge Bob Square Pants

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Describing keypresses takes a lot more words than describing mouse
    > clicks, but for some functions keyboarding is actually faster.

    I got a little curious about the efficiency of the keyboard vs the mouse
    for this particular problem, so I did a little research/experimenting.

    IMO it is the most efficient to use both hands and to both keyboard and
    mouseclick if you are R handed and configure for sticky keys. You put
    your R hand on the mouse and use your left hand on the L ctrl & alt keys
    and the letters C S A and V which are L keys for a touch typist and are
    not ergonometrically awkward when combined if you are using sticky keys.

    When you arrive at a page that needs to be reconfigured for say internet
    to intranet, you use the R hand mouse to dragswipe select the site's
    name from the browser addressbar, say www.sandiego.gov, L ctrl-C, R
    doubleclick statusbar security icon, L alt-S-A, L ctrl-V, R mouseclick
    OK OK OK.

    That copies the name, accesses the advanced feature for adding/pasting
    www.sandiego.gov to the intranet zone window input and adds it to that
    intranet site list and Okays 3 levels out.

    That method does not change the 'overall' system to intranet, does not
    require changing the system back for general surfing, and prepares the
    system to have that site in the intranet zone the next time you are
    there for accessing the San Diego City library online features or
    something.

    The 'rhythm' of those moves will fit into our little brainpan very
    easily, and after it is done 2 or 3 times is extremely efficient. Much
    more than point and click alone or keyboard alone.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 21, 2006