    programs out there to get rid of those programs like Realplayer, and
    msn. I use PCforest Startman to disable them, but they keep coming
    back. Thanks
    Sam, Nov 22, 2008

  2. Sam

    chuckcar Guest

    Re: Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Realplayer, mns

    Sam <> wrote in

    > Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Any
    > programs out there to get rid of those programs like Realplayer, and
    > msn. I use PCforest Startman to disable them, but they keep coming
    > back. Thanks

    Realplayer you disable from *within* realplayer. Otherwise any later time
    you run it it will go back into startup. msconfig *comes* with windows and
    therefore is the best solution esp. as it doesn't put *itself* in startup.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 22, 2008

  3. Sam

    olfart Guest

    "Sam" <> wrote in message
    > Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Any
    > programs out there to get rid of those programs like Realplayer, and
    > msn. I use PCforest Startman to disable them, but they keep coming
    > back. Thanks

    take a look at Startup Control Panel
    www.mlin.net
    olfart, Nov 22, 2008
  4. Sam

    Cork Soaker Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > Sam <> wrote in
    >
    >> Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Any
    >> programs out there to get rid of those programs like Realplayer, and
    >> msn. I use PCforest Startman to disable them, but they keep coming
    >> back. Thanks
    >>

    > Realplayer you disable from *within* realplayer. Otherwise any later time
    > you run it it will go back into startup. msconfig *comes* with windows and
    > therefore is the best solution esp. as it doesn't put *itself* in startup.

    Write-protect the Run key. Always works here.
    Cork Soaker, Nov 22, 2008
  5. Sam

    chuckcar Guest

    Re: Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Realplayer, mns

    Cork Soaker <> wrote in

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> Sam <> wrote in
    >>
    >>> Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Any
    >>> programs out there to get rid of those programs like Realplayer, and
    >>> msn. I use PCforest Startman to disable them, but they keep coming
    >>> back. Thanks
    >>>

    >> Realplayer you disable from *within* realplayer. Otherwise any later
    >> time you run it it will go back into startup. msconfig *comes* with
    >> windows and therefore is the best solution esp. as it doesn't put
    >> *itself* in startup.

    > Write-protect the Run key. Always works here.

    There's more than one and besides, it's not a file. Address the OP.
    Regedit is a last resort for these people. There's too much chance of
    fouling things up permanently.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 23, 2008
  6. Sam

    Cork Soaker Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > Cork Soaker <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> Sam <> wrote in

    >>> Realplayer you disable from *within* realplayer. Otherwise any later
    >>> time you run it it will go back into startup. msconfig *comes* with
    >>> windows and therefore is the best solution esp. as it doesn't put
    >>> *itself* in startup.

    >> Write-protect the Run key. Always works here.
    >>

    > There's more than one and besides, it's not a file. Address the OP.
    > Regedit is a last resort for these people. There's too much chance of
    > fouling things up permanently.

    There are two, and I know it's not a bloody file.

    Write-protect the Run key(s).
    Cork Soaker, Nov 23, 2008
  7. Sam

    richard Guest

    Re: Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Realplayer, mns

    On Sat, 22 Nov 2008 18:07:10 -0500, "olfart" <>
    wrote:

    >"Sam" <> wrote in message
    >> Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Any
    >> programs out there to get rid of those programs like Realplayer, and
    >> msn. I use PCforest Startman to disable them, but they keep coming
    >> back. Thanks

    >take a look at Startup Control Panel
    >www.mlin.net

    How do you control something when the internal coding of the program
    tells windows, "Hey I've been activated again, put me on startup.".

    It's done in the software many times.
    richard, Nov 23, 2008
  8. Sam

    > chuckcar wrote:
    >> Cork Soaker <> wrote in

    >>> Write-protect the Run key. Always works here.
    >>>

    >> There's more than one and besides, it's not a file. Address the OP.
    >> Regedit is a last resort for these people. There's too much chance of
    >> fouling things up permanently.

    > There are two, and I know it's not a bloody file.

    No, there's more than two. Bad idea. Aren't you a ray of sunshine! And
    no *I* won't and neither should the OP.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 23, 2008
  9. Sam

    Guest

    , Nov 23, 2008
  10. Sam

    Cork Soaker Guest

    chuckcar wrote:
    > Cork Soaker <> wrote in
    >
    >> chuckcar wrote:
    >>> Cork Soaker <> wrote in

    >>> There's more than one and besides, it's not a file. Address the OP.
    >>> Regedit is a last resort for these people. There's too much chance of
    >>> fouling things up permanently.

    >> There are two, and I know it's not a bloody file.
    >>

    > No, there's more than two. Bad idea. Aren't you a ray of sunshine! And
    > no *I* won't and neither should the OP.

    You actually are a complete moron! You clearly have no idea how the
    registry works, you pitiful fool.
    Cork Soaker, Nov 23, 2008
  11. Sam

    > chuckcar wrote:

    >>> There are two, and I know it's not a bloody file.
    >>>

    >> No, there's more than two. Bad idea. Aren't you a ray of sunshine! And
    >> no *I* won't and neither should the OP.

    > You actually are a complete moron! You clearly have no idea how the
    > registry works, you pitiful fool.

    LOL. You have *no* idea how much more I know about it than you do.

    The last refuge of the truly ignorant, blaming those who point out his
    lack of knowledge.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 23, 2008
  12. Sam

    coaster Guest

    I like to edit the Registry, I put xxx in front of the path, so the
    file doesn't loud (causes a fault, but what the heck, it's over in a
    nanosecond or two), and the entry is still there if I want to bring it
    back. Avoids having to use msconfig or uninstalling anything. For
    example:

    NvMediaCenter REG_SZ xxxRUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS
    \system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit

    will prevent that task from loading and running

    .....and if you don't know what you're doing mucking about in the
    Registry, you can undo whatever you did wrong fairly easy.

    Naturally, it's a good idea to create a Restore Point before doing
    this. ;-)
    coaster, Nov 24, 2008
  13. Sam

    chuckcar Guest

    Re: Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Realplayer, mns

    coaster <> wrote in

    > I like to edit the Registry, I put xxx in front of the path, so the
    > file doesn't loud (causes a fault, but what the heck, it's over in a
    > nanosecond or two), and the entry is still there if I want to bring it
    > back. Avoids having to use msconfig or uninstalling anything. For
    > example:
    >
    > NvMediaCenter REG_SZ xxxRUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS
    > \system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    >
    > will prevent that task from loading and running
    >
    > ....and if you don't know what you're doing mucking about in the
    > Registry, you can undo whatever you did wrong fairly easy.
    >
    > Naturally, it's a good idea to create a Restore Point before doing
    > this. ;-)

    *if* you use regedit, for which the above is hardly a reason, you create a
    registry backup *in* it. The above line could just be unchecked in
    msconfig.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 24, 2008
  14. Sam

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >coaster <> wrote in
    >
    >> I like to edit the Registry, I put xxx in front of the path, so the
    >> file doesn't loud (causes a fault, but what the heck, it's over in a
    >> nanosecond or two), and the entry is still there if I want to bring it
    >> back. Avoids having to use msconfig or uninstalling anything. For
    >> example:
    >>
    >> NvMediaCenter REG_SZ xxxRUNDLL32.EXE C:\WINDOWS
    >> \system32\NvMcTray.dll,NvTaskbarInit
    >>
    >> will prevent that task from loading and running
    >>
    >> ....and if you don't know what you're doing mucking about in the
    >> Registry, you can undo whatever you did wrong fairly easy.
    >>
    >> Naturally, it's a good idea to create a Restore Point before doing
    >> this. ;-)

    >*if* you use regedit, for which the above is hardly a reason, you create a
    >registry backup *in* it. The above line could just be unchecked in
    >msconfig.

    Taking advice from someone who still uses Win98 just causes everybody
    problems.

    Autoruns will not run on Win98, and is the program you need.
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

    Keeps you out of the registry, and stops you from using a testing tool
    MSCONFIG.
    --

    Motorcycle accident
    http://flickr.com/photos/roentgenator/2450912496/
  15. Sam

    chuckcar Guest

    Re: Any way to get rid of Startup programs to keep coming back? Realplayer, mns

    wrote in

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>coaster <> wrote in

    > Taking advice from someone who still uses Win98 just causes everybody
    > problems.

    You mean worse than yours? quite an statement to make.

    > Autoruns will not run on Win98, and is the program you need.
    > http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

    Still you don't understand what startup is but you *insist* of having an
    incorect opinion on it's usefulness. Pretty thick.

    > Keeps you out of the registry, and stops you from using a testing tool
    > MSCONFIG.

    LOL *testing* tool? it's an integral part of windows that microsoft has
    completely messed up in later versions of windows so badly that it became
    virtually useless in XP.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 25, 2008
  16. Sam

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    >> Autoruns will not run on Win98, and is the program you need.
    >> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

    >Still you don't understand what startup is but you *insist* of having an
    >incorect opinion on it's usefulness. Pretty thick.

    You've never run Autoruns and have no basic for a clue.

    --

    Proper Way To Take a Photograph
    http://thehomebased.com/?p=153
  17. Sam

    > chuckcar <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Autoruns will not run on Win98, and is the program you need.
    >>> http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb963902.aspx

    >>Still you don't understand what startup is but you *insist* of having an
    >>incorect opinion on it's usefulness. Pretty thick.

    > You've never run Autoruns and have no basic for a clue.

    Please. It's just another buzzword Microsoft made up to made themselves
    look like they actually have such things in control.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Nov 25, 2008
  18. Sam

    chuckcar <> wrote:

    > wrote in

    >>>Still you don't understand what startup is but you *insist* of having an
    >>>incorect opinion on it's usefulness. Pretty thick.

    >> You've never run Autoruns and have no basic for a clue.

    >Please. It's just another buzzword Microsoft made up to made themselves
    >look like they actually have such things in control.

    Autoruns, Process Explorer, Process Monitor and many must haves at
    http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/default.aspx

    Were not produced (programmed) by MicroSoft.

    "The Sysinternals web site was created in 1996 by Mark Russinovich and
    Bryce Cogswell to host their advanced system utilities and technical
    information. Microsoft acquired Sysinternals in July, 2006."
    http://www.sysinternals.com/ And hired Mark Russinovich at the same
    time.

    I still believe it was because of Autoruns (self view only no cite).

    Autoruns will run perfectly under vista, but hasn't been updated for
    vista, as if it were you could disable it's DRM. They hired Mark just
    before the release of vista, and they waited 10 years.

    Process Explorer is the only nonMS program mentioned in any of the
    Microsoft support pages (that I have seen).

    You might of read of Mark Russinovich, he's the one who found the Sony
    rootkit.

    Wow that's a lot to write to an idiot that can't read.
    --

    Proper Way To Take a Photograph
    http://thehomebased.com/?p=153
    , Nov 25, 2008
  19. Sam

    Guest

    , Nov 25, 2008
  20. wrote:
    > wrote:
    >
    >> no basic for a clue.

    > woops basis

    Ive never written anything in whoops basis...is it like M$ basis?

    TIA
    §ñühw¤£f, Nov 25, 2008