Any way to force faster modem connection speeds?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Carol Haynes, Feb 24, 2004.

  1. Carol Haynes

    Carol Haynes Guest

    I just purchased a new modem to replace my old one which just died.

    Until a couple of days ago I was getting speeds of 45.6, 48 and sometimes
    52Kb/s but with the new modem I can't get speeds faster than 33.6Kb/s.

    Anyone any idea how to get the new modem to negotiate a faster speed on
    connection? Presumably the correct INIT string could force a specific
    connection type and minimum speed but I don't know what the string should be
    !

    There is a PDF manual on the driver CD ROM but no utilities for tweaking the
    modem. The manual is simply all the AT commands supported by the modem (all
    138 pages of them) which I can't make any sense of.

    My ISP only supports V90 for modems and the new modem is a Dynamode M56EXT-T
    external V92 HAYES compatible serial modem (Intel chipset).

    I am running Win XP Pro SP1.

    Any help would be much appreciated.

    --
    Carol Haynes
    Reply address is set to vaporize - don't expect a reply!

    Carol Haynes, Feb 24, 2004

  2. Carol Haynes

    °Mike° Guest

    Read the manual on how to disable V92 in the init strings.

    Try:
    AT&F&C1&D2M0+MS=V34,0

    The +MS=V34,0 is what you are looking for with regards
    to disabling V92..

    On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:41:45 -0000, in
    <c1gnfm$1iqmip$-berlin.de>
    Carol Haynes scrawled:

    >I just purchased a new modem to replace my old one which just died.
    >
    >Until a couple of days ago I was getting speeds of 45.6, 48 and sometimes
    >52Kb/s but with the new modem I can't get speeds faster than 33.6Kb/s.
    >
    >Anyone any idea how to get the new modem to negotiate a faster speed on
    >connection? Presumably the correct INIT string could force a specific
    >connection type and minimum speed but I don't know what the string should be
    >!
    >
    >There is a PDF manual on the driver CD ROM but no utilities for tweaking the
    >modem. The manual is simply all the AT commands supported by the modem (all
    >138 pages of them) which I can't make any sense of.
    >
    >My ISP only supports V90 for modems and the new modem is a Dynamode M56EXT-T
    >external V92 HAYES compatible serial modem (Intel chipset).
    >
    >I am running Win XP Pro SP1.
    >
    >Any help would be much appreciated.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 24, 2004

  3. Carol Haynes

    Carol Haynes Guest

    Thanks for trying Mike.

    I entered the string as typed and then my modem stopped working! I looked in
    the log and it said error so I tried:

    AT+MS=V34,0

    and

    +MS=V34,0

    both of which yielded errors.

    Looking up V34 in the manual it turns out it needs 4 parameters in the
    format:

    +MS=carrier, automode,min rate, max rate

    so I tried:

    +MS=V34,1,14400,0

    and got a slower connect rate!

    I then swapped the 14400 for all the higher possible values: 16800, 19200,
    21600, 24000, 26400, 28800, 31200, 33600 and connections were established
    with all but the highest value which just caused redialling.

    Trouble is all the values made connections at speeds lower than the default
    value of 33.6 I was getting before.

    This is seriously strange ????

    Any other ideas?

    Cheers

    Carol Haynes, Feb 25, 2004
  4. It could be:

    a)Your new modem may not be as good as the old. i.e. more noisy, less
    sensitive.
    b) If the old modem died in say a lighning strike, there may also be new
    exchange equipment.
    c) The lead from the modem to wall socket. Have you tried swopping it or
    shortening it? And not wrapping it around your cordless phone..
    d) Did you look at the port speed on the pc and is it higher than 33k?
    e) Tried borrowing another modem to see if it is better?

    AT commands can be useful but, in this context, I have mostly used them to
    turn DOWN a connection speed because the negotiation had been overly
    optimistic about what speed could be supported.

    Carol Haynes wrote:
    :: Thanks for trying Mike.
    ::
[...]
    :: --
    :: Carol Haynes
    :: Reply address is set to vaporize - don't expect a reply!
    ::
    ::
    ::
    :: "°Mike°" <> wrote in message
    :: news:...
    ::: Read the manual on how to disable V92 in the init strings.
    :::
    ::: Try:
    ::: AT&F&C1&D2M0+MS=V34,0
    :::
    ::: The +MS=V34,0 is what you are looking for with regards
    ::: to disabling V92..
    :::
    :::
    ::: On Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:41:45 -0000, in
    ::: <c1gnfm$1iqmip$-berlin.de>
    ::: Carol Haynes scrawled:
    :::
    :::: I just purchased a new modem to replace my old one which just died.
    ::::
[...]

    Brain set to evaporate - may not make sense!

    eric the seal, Feb 25, 2004
  5. Carol Haynes

    Carol Haynes Guest

    > a)Your new modem may not be as good as the old. i.e. more noisy, less
    > sensitive.

    True ... but ...

    > b) If the old modem died in say a lighning strike, there may also be new
    > exchange equipment.

    No - a chip died in it I think, it just took longer and longer to 'warm
    up' - it got to the point where I had to switch the modem on an hour before
    the PC !

    > c) The lead from the modem to wall socket. Have you tried swopping it or
    > shortening it? And not wrapping it around your cordless phone..

    Hmmm - I just swapped the cable with the one from the old modem and
    connected it directly to the wall socket. Now getting 44kbs so it looks like
    that could be it. I had the modem connected through a surge protection
    block - maybe it is time to replace it as I have had it a few years and I
    know they get "tired" over time!

    Still not exactly zippy though is it?

    > d) Did you look at the port speed on the pc and is it higher than 33k?

    Yes - it is at 115,200

    > e) Tried borrowing another modem to see if it is better?

    No but I have a second modem that has never given good connection speeds
    which seems pretty consistent with its old performance.

    > AT commands can be useful but, in this context, I have mostly used them to
    > turn DOWN a connection speed because the negotiation had been overly
    > optimistic about what speed could be supported.

    That's what I thought - but I figured like Mike it could be something to do
    with trying to negotiate V92 and failing.

    Cheers

    Carol

    Carol Haynes, Feb 25, 2004
  6. Carol Haynes

    °Mike° Guest

    On Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:39:52 -0000, in
    <c1i8j2$1icnco$-berlin.de>
    Carol Haynes scrawled:

    <snip>

    >Still not exactly zippy though is it?

    44kbs is fine for dial-up. I never get over 48kbs.

    <snip>

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Feb 25, 2004
  7. Carol Haynes

    w_tom Guest

    Adjacent protector is not doing anything for you. Telco
    already installs a phone line protector on phone lines. A
    protector so inexpensive and so effective (because it is
    earthed at the premise interface) that telco installs it for
    free.

    Your plug-in protector may not be same low capacitance
    type. Like some badly designed phones, protector would
    decrease modem connect speeds (be it a minor decrease).

    Does the protector get 'tired"? Yes if it suffers enough
    transients. However protectors typically see transients so
    large maybe once every eight years. Furthermore, that free
    telco provided, 'whole house' protector is different
    (superior) technology - does not 'tire' (degrade).

    BTW, how does lightning damage modems? Incoming on AC
    electric. Outgoing to earth ground via phone line. Lightning
    seeks earth ground. If not earthed at building's service
    entrance, then lightning seeks earth ground, destructively,
    via household appliances. Modems are easiest damaged because
    modems provide a direct connection to earth ground - phone
    line. Modem protection means a 'whole house' protector is
    required on your AC mains - the source of most destructive
    transients.

    What that ineffective plug-in protector would rather not
    discuss (to make the sale)? A surge protector is only as
    effective as its earth ground. That plug-in protectors has
    all but no earth ground. No earth ground means no effective
    protection. But the telco provided 'whole house' protector
    makes the essential 'less than 10 foot' connection to earth.

    w_tom, Feb 26, 2004
  8. Carol Haynes

    Carol Haynes Guest

    Some good points made - but I have a Belkin UPS system with built in surge
    protection.

    The main reason I use it is for tidy shutdown on power spikes/drops because
    I live in aremote rural community and they are common. The other reason is
    that if my equipment is damaged by power surges, transients etc. then they
    are insured if they are connected via this device - if they aren't I can
    kiss my insurance goodbye.

    Carol

    Carol Haynes, Feb 27, 2004
  9. Carol Haynes

    w_tom Guest

    The Belkin forgets to mention which type of transient it
    protects from. They claim protection only from the type of
    protection that does not typically exist. And the warranty
    (its not insurance) has a long history of not being honored.
    But then in any free market, the trend is common. Hyundai
    claims a warranty far in excess of Toyota and Honda. Does
    that provide Hyundai more reliable? Of course not. In surge
    protection, then benchmark companies - serious protectors -
    provide no warranty.

    How it identify an effective protector - it discussion
    earthing... extensively. Where does your Belkin discuss
    earthing? Not grounding - a term used to deceive. Where do
    they say the protector requires a less than 10 foot connection
    to earth ground? Just something more they forget to mention.

    The UPS is important for battery backup. Protection of data
    especially if you computer is using FAT filesystem - not using
    NTFS. Effective protection must be at the service entrance.
    UPS connects computer directly to AC mains when not in battery
    backup mode. Where is the protection? In the meantime, your
    computer already contains any protection that can be effective
    at the computer. Internal protection that assumes the
    destructive transient will be earthed before entering the
    building. If not earthed by a 'whole house' protector, then
    the destructive transient will overwhelm internal computer
    protection and probably find earth ground via your modem.

    How many transistorized appliances require protection?
    Dishwasher? GFCI receptacles in bathroom and kitchen? Clock
    radio? You spent how much to protect one computer? $50 for a
    protector that does not even claim protection from common mode
    transients. 'Whole house' protector costs less than $1 per
    protected appliance. AND 'whole house' protector does provide
    that short connection to earth meaning it does provide common
    mode transient protection.

    Returning to that warranty:
    Albert Spencil on 19 Jun 2003 in comp.home.automation
    In "UPS for computer and TV"
    > That UPS warranty is a crock ! They lay it out very clearly in
    > the document that comes in the box. They will at their option
    > repair or replace your equipment at the current value as given
    > in Orion Blue Book. The value of a two year old home PC would
    > not replace a motherboard.

    And that warranty will do nothing for your lost data.

    The newsgroups are chock full of stories about plug-in
    protector warranties not honored. That warranty has
    fine-print exemptions. Did you read the many page details, or
    did they just forget to provide all those warranty details
    with your UPS?

    Your modem requires protection from AC electric transients.
    The effective protector earths a transient before it can enter
    the building. 'Whole house' protector connects less than 10
    feet to same earth ground that your telco 'whole house'
    protectors uses. I have never seen effective protectors sold
    in Sear, Walmart, Kmart, Staples, CompUSA, or Office Max.
    They sell plenty of protectors that - read the specs - don't
    even claim protection from the type of surge that destroyed
    transistors.

    Why does your telco already install a 'whole house'
    protector for free? In part, because it costs so little as is
    so effective. You must do same for all other incoming
    utilities. CATV, by code, must connect to your central earth
    ground (no protector - they make a hardwire connection) before
    entering the building. But AC electric typically has no
    protector - unless you take initiative and install a 'whole
    house' protector. A surge protector is only as effective as
    its earth ground - no matter what you think that warranty
    implies. BTW, this comes from an EE with a few decades of
    experience - which is why I knew about the telco provided
    protector.

    w_tom, Feb 27, 2004
  10. w_tom wrote:

    > BTW, how does lightning damage modems? Incoming on AC
    > electric. Outgoing to earth ground via phone line. Lightning
    > seeks earth ground. If not earthed at building's service
    > entrance, then lightning seeks earth ground, destructively,
    > via household appliances.

    Now *that* is an elegantly simple image you just gave us for a very...
    ahh... "tempremental" force of nature.

    Thanks for the smile!

    BuffNET Technical Support Supervisor
    (BEHOLD! The power of the BOFH!)

    BuffNET Tech Support - MichaelJ, Feb 27, 2004